Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    We should really just give up on athletics and focus on something else. Something white people are better at for starts!

You need to take notice of more of the events that are going on in the Athletics stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wow Cuban pole-vaulter's pole snapped :eek:

Where was that on?

Checked the red button and it wasn't there. :( :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Did Cragg run yet this morning?

Bit of a disaster I'm afraid. Its a shame, the chap showed a lot of potential in his early career.

It's looking like another very disappointing track and field campaign for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Cián O'Connor back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Larianne wrote: »
    Where was that on?

Checked the red button and it wasn't there. :( :pac:

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAH

The mighty red button has failed :D

Delighted!!!!!!

:P

They played it as slow motion replay on bbc1:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAAH

The mighty red button has failed :D

Delighted!!!!!!

:P

I saw it live on BBC about an hour ago.

According to the studio guy, as well as Cian being in the final we also have two Irish born horses competing for other countries.

Christ.....Talk about clutching at straws. :rolleyes:

Good man Cian, whop ya boya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

According to the studio guy, as well as Cian being in the final we also have two Irish born horses competing for other countries.

Hardly clutching at straws. They've been on about that since long before the Olympics started. It's an industry which is worth 100's of millions to Ireland, so it's worth mentioning in this context.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Clear round for Cian. He's right back in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Get in there Cian boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Great clear round by Cian, shaping up for a promising afternoon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Hardly clutching at straws. They've been on about that since long before the Olympics started. It's an industry which is worth 100's of millions to Ireland, so it's worth mentioning in this context.

The Bloodstock industry in Ireland is worth over a billion and it is one of this countries greatest exports.

So it is a good advertisement, so other countries Ireland has good nags for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Any half decent thoroughbred horse was more than likely conceived here in Ireland! Look at the mighty Frankel for instance, his Daddy is Galileo who stands at Coolmore stud in Tipperary!

If only we could get horse racing as an Olympic sport, with our jockeys we'd clean up :D

kfallon wrote: »
    Any half decent thoroughbred horse was more than likely conceived here in Ireland! Look at the mighty Frankel for instance, his Daddy is Galileo who stands at Coolmore stud in Tipperary!

If only we could get horse racing as an Olympic sport, with our jockeys we'd clean up :D

Why isn't it, it is a big sport worldwide, the bookies and me Da would love it.

Colmustard wrote: »
    The Bloodstock industry in Ireland is worth over a billion and it is one of this countries greatest exports.

So it is a good advertisement, so other countries Ireland has good nags for sale.

So can we get extra medals for Irish horses or what?kick us up the table a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

From the IT Olympics blog this morning:

"BBC Northern Ireland last night made quite an audacious and factually incorrect claim - that Northern Ireland had won its fourth medal of the Olympic Games after Michael Conlan secured a medal in the ring last night.

First – The Chambers brothers from Coleraine both received a medal as part of the British men’s lightweight fours but in reality, it should count as one medal not two. That's how it is tallied in the medal chart. That means Northern Ireland (and technically it’s Great Britain and Northern Ireland) have won two medals. Alan Campbell won bronze in the men’s single sculls.

Secondly (and more importantly) – Michael Conlan is from Belfast but boxes for Ireland. He did not win a medal for Northen Ireland last night.
    It seems that everyone wants to claim the Irish boxers."

Professionals at the Olympics? Wash your mouth out.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Olivier Guillon with a clear round as well.

• Advertisement

Well if it was I'd be in it for sure, no better jockey out there tbh :D

The Olympics version of horse racing is on Saturday, The Shergar Cup :p Only this year they have merged the GB and Ireland team together :mad: I'm the captain tho so every cloud!

Tbh it's the worst Saturday racing of the year, absolutely hate it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

We should really just give up on athletics and focus on something else. Something white people are better at for starts!

High Jumping? Long Jumping? Throwing?

Funnily enough, Ireland was traditionally very strong at these events, but now...

They may have been conceived in Ireland but it doesn't mean they were born here!

Well personally I would not like to see horse racing in the olympics. BUT - I do think it is more a sport of the massess than all this dressage ****e - which imho should be turfed out of the games

The horse is only part of the equation, an important one, but the skill is with the riders.

It looks easy because they make it look easy, but it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Wow Cuban pole-vaulter's pole snapped :eek:

Saw that, he was a lucky lad, one of them lidl poles!! :D

Didn't GB do this about ten years ago, pumped a load of money into cycling and they reaped the rewards in Beijing and now London. Plus Bradley Wiggins has won the Tour and Mark Cavendish has also been an outstanding professional on the circuit.

We don't tend to spend much on sport tho but fair play to GB, they concentrated on one sport and have excelled in it thanks to drugs financial investment :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Very unIrish of me perhaps, but I won't be cheering if Cian O'Connor takes gold, in the same way I didn't cheer or clap for Gatlin the other night. If you are stripped of medals for cheating you don't deserve a 2nd chance (or 3rd as in Gatlins case) in my humbler.

Well personally I would not like to see horse racing in the olympics. BUT - I do think it is more a sport of the massess than all this dressage ****e - which imho should be turfed out of the games

Dressage = gay horses :p
    The state of them prancing around the kip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I wish I had taken this week off work.

I did, second week of the limpix is always on my list. Not sure about rio though, middle of the night for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Pdoghue wrote: »
    From the IT Olympics blog this morning:

"BBC Northern Ireland last night made quite an audacious and factually incorrect claim - that Northern Ireland had won its fourth medal of the Olympic Games after Michael Conlan secured a medal in the ring last night.

First – The Chambers brothers from Coleraine both received a medal as part of the British men’s lightweight fours but in reality, it should count as one medal not two. That's how it is tallied in the medal chart. That means Northern Ireland (and technically it’s Great Britain and Northern Ireland) have won two medals. Alan Campbell won bronze in the men’s single sculls.

Secondly (and more importantly) – Michael Conlan is from Belfast but boxes for Ireland. He did not win a medal for Northen Ireland last night.
    It seems that everyone wants to claim the Irish boxers."

well in fairness didn't RTE try to claim The Chambers brothers from Coleraine last week as irish

Its only a sport of the masses because the masses like to bet huge amounts of money on the outcome.

How many people follow it in the same way as football etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If equestrian is in it (which shouldnt IMO), then there is no reason why horse racing shouldnt be in it. The thing is, despite most of the best horses being Irish, the owners are not.

If there were 5 different races: 6 furlongs, 1 mile, 1 mile 2f, hurdles race and a national hunt race the winners would probably be

6f: Black Caviar (Aussie owned)
    1 mile: Frankel (Saudi owned)
    1 mile 2f: Camelot (Irish and British owned. 3 owners, 2 are british)
    Hurdles race: Big Bucks (British owned)
    National hunt: The gold cup winner has died but the winner before that was Long Run (British owned)

Maybe Team GB should be pushing for it to be included :pac:

fryup wrote: »
    well in fairness didn't RTE try to claim The Chambers brothers from Coleraine last week as irish

They probably had'nt heard of them. :)

The Saudi Arabian track and field women's entrant ran in the 800m heat.

Miles off the pace but got a good cheer from the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Pherekydes wrote: »
    High Jumping? Long Jumping? Throwing?

Funnily enough, Ireland was traditionally very strong at these events, but now...

Well I suppose I meant running/sprinting we're not good at. I watched Coe's 1500m from Moscow last night, there were only white people in the race. Funny how it changed. The countries dominating now just weren't developed enough at the time to make it to the olympics and the world wasn't as globalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well the Saudi Arabian hoody did not provide any aero dynamic advantage

If equestrian is in it (which shouldnt IMO), then there is no reason why horse racing shouldnt be in it. The thing is, despite most of the best horses being Irish, the owners are not.

If there were 5 different races: 6 furlongs, 1 mile, 1 mile 2f, hurdles race and a national hunt race the winners would probably be

6f: Black Caviar (Aussie owned)
    1 mile: Frankel (Saudi owned)
    1 mile 2f: Camelot (Irish and British owned. 3 owners, 2 are british)
    Hurdles race: Big Bucks (British owned)
    National hunt: The gold cup winner is died but the winner before that was Long Run (British owned)

Maybe Team GB should be pushing for it to be included :pac:

Not sure everyone would agree on turf racing for the flat races btw, the US of A might disagree ;)

And if the Hurdles race was over 2m I'd not say Big Bucks was a shoe in either.

John Magnier is the brains behind the Coolmore operation, Camelot would be trained in Ireland so he'd be going down as Irish imo! Derrick Smith is just there for his money and to get in every photograph possible after a win. He's like Sangster in the old days, Magnier, the man from Cork, is the brains of it all!

Its only a sport of the masses because the masses like to bet huge amounts of money on the outcome.

I would have thought so to.

But I just asked my da that question and he said "you better believe they do" apparently its not only about gambling, he said most the races I watch I don't have a bet on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

racso1975 wrote: »
    Well the Saudi Arabian hoody did not provide any aero dynamic advantage

Not sure about that, she got a Saudi record

• Advertisement

I do! I have reduced my betting on horses significantly over the past 12 months but I still watch racing every day. Plus I have my fav jockey (see my username), trainer and horses who I follow religiously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Had a convo with the bf last night and I asked why shot putters, hammer throwers, discuss flingers were so big. He said they needed the extra weight to carry the thing further.

But i've just seen hammer thrower from Belarus. She is quite slender. Good distance thrown too.

Had a convo with the bf last night and I asked why shot putters, hammer throwers, discuss flingers were so big. He said they needed the extra weight to carry the thing further.

But i've just seen hammer thrower from Belarus. She is quite slender. Good distance thrown too.

Technique as well as strength is needed.

I saw a shot putter from China the other night, my God, you could have played handball off her arse!! More chins than a Chinese phonebook too!

And as for the wan from Belarus who won it......

http://www.iaaf.org/mm/Photo/06/68/01/66801_FULL-PRT.jpg

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

talk about over hyping things, Newstalk have the katie fight as their leading headline...jasyus wait till she wins gold at least

I saw a shot putter from China the other night, my God, you could have played handball off her arse!! More chins than a Chinese phonebook too!

Thats actually shane byrne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

fryup wrote: »
    talk about over hyping things, Newstalk have the katie fight as their leading headline...jasyus wait till she wins gold at least

Bit of a surprise that. Is it not the latest Manure training session? Or Hooky running over a cyclist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

she's a babe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Technique as well as strength is needed.
    Yeah technique is king with the strength to back up the technique. Im not muscularly blessed myself but threw the javelin a few times. Its a terrible awkward thing to throw. The athletes make it look so easy.

Jez that was a great race in the rowing/kayaking

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement