Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

libra02 wrote: »
    I seriously do not see where the whole camp thing is coming from. Are people confusing being well spoken with camp. He say he is staight anyway.

He's a little bit camp tbf. Doesn't mean he's gay though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey guys, did you know that when my golf buddies are having banana sandwiches, I'm tucking into a t bone steak?

FUPPING HATE THAT AD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

This is why I dont watch on RTE. Theres a fight on now (Ind vs GB) on BBC but on RTE they are having a chat. Yes an Irish fighter is up soon but this isnt a pro box night with gaps and then the main event. They just assume no one wants to watch the Olympics and just wants to see the Taylor fight and hasnt any interest outside of that. Its not even like they are choosing between showing Katie Taylor and showing other fights. That ould be ok.

Well lets face it the majority of people are only interested the Katie Taylor fight. On Monday the showed the other fights later in the show and they will probably do the same today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Namlub wrote: »

He's not camp. You only think that because he is Australian and yet not biting into a beer can, whilst bbqing steak from the crocodile he just wrestled

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Who is that guy (the fella presenting the show from years ago about Katie Taylor)?

Some accent! Not sure how he ever made it on to tv...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

On Monday the showed the other fights later in the show and they will probably do the same today.

Watching stuff when you already know the results isnt the same though.

Seren_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, did you know that when my golf buddies are having banana sandwiches, I'm tucking into a t bone steak?

FUPPING HATE THAT AD!

lol was about to post the same thing.
    Terrible ad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Anyone wrote: »
    Nah, all of our athletes had to qualify. There are minimum times needed and they all got them. From what I understand though, a lot acheived the times last year.

no what i mean is
    AT THE OLYMPICS is there any event that we have made a final for that had heats/semi finals etc?

or is it a case the only finals we have made are events that had straight finals like the walks, women's 10,000 metres

basically every one of our track and field athletes that needed to qualify for the final failed :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

He's not camp. You only think that because he is Australian and yet not biting into a beer can, whilst bbqing steak from the crocodile he just wrestled

Oh come on we've all spent a year in Australia we know that even there he'd be considered camp!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Good grief, some bookies have Katie @ 1/33 to win her next fight!!

Em no pressure Katie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

I never though he was gay and can never understand why people think he is. I can't see this supposed campness. It only since he has retired from the pool that these gay alligations have been thrown at him, if I remember rightly.

Anyway he certainly made my Olympic viewing more enjoyable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I wonder if the fans would stay back singing Fields of Athenry if she lost. Probably :(

Ian Thorpe IS camp.

Anyone who doesn't think so isn't very observant or perceptive.

Three people I've watched the Olympics with who've never seen or heard of him before said "Is that guy gay?/I presume that guy's gay?".

And he allegedly "lives" with a male Brazilian swimmer.

To be honest I'd worry about anyone who can't spot his homosexuality a mile off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

kfallon wrote: »
    Any idea if the BBC are showing the Katie fight live? We're on an English server so I can't get RTE commentary, can either watch it without commentary or else on BBC iPlayer if it's on there!

watch it on a livestream and then have rte radio1 (or whoever) commentary running on another tab?

Hurry up tho !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This is why I dont watch on RTE. Theres a fight on now (Ind vs GB) on BBC but on RTE they are having a chat. Yes an Irish fighter is up soon but this isnt a pro box night with gaps and then the main event. They just assume no one wants to watch the Olympics and just wants to see the Taylor fight and hasnt any interest outside of that. Its not even like they are choosing between showing Katie Taylor and showing other fights. That ould be ok.

How do you know they assume that? You're assuming that people don't want any build up and discussion prior to the event.

They can't please everyone.

Yes because I base my view of all Australians on what I saw in that one episode of the Simpsons.

libra02 wrote: »
    It only since he has retired from the pool that these gay alligations have been thrown at him, if I remember rightly.

Most people wouldnt have seen anythign beyond a short poolside interview with him while he was competeing.

He isnt retired btw.He just wasnt fast enough to qualify.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

And Katie breaks the RTE website for the second time this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fnck sake RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Katie got the loudest cheer of the olympics so far. 113 decibels in her last fight.

She'd give ya goosebumps.

How do you know they assume that? You're assuming that people don't want any build up and discussion prior to the event.

They can't please everyone.

It's been mentioned more than a few times across differnt sports about their lack of live coverage.
    They were chatting about boxing one of the evenigns last week while there was live sport availble and Irish boxers werent even on.

I cant see anyone complainign about them showing too much live olympics tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

1 hour to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

How many names will Jimmy mention in the commentary, and will many of these be non-boxers?

Colmustard wrote: »
    1 hour to go.

Until? ;)

• Advertisement

What's your next hypothesis - That Claire Balding's not at all masculine and is in fact 100% heterosexual?

Come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Poor old Jimmy, going into hyperbole overdrive!

Yes because I base my view of all Australians on what I saw in that one episode of the Simpsons.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Oh come on we've all spent a year in Australia we know that even there he'd be considered camp!

Christ people turn on your sarcasm detectors.

Still, I suppose its my fault for not including a smiley face for the sarcastically challenged :rolleyes:

How many names will Jimmy mention in the commentary, and will many of these be non-boxers?

Depends on how many Tajiki (?) celebs he knows the names of. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs

First round to Taylor anyway. Keep it up Katie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

anybody got a stream that is working, rte is dead.

Until? ;)

its 50 miniutes since the fight finished.:)

Come on. 3-1 up! :)

Leslie91 wrote: »
    anybody got a stream that is working, rte is dead.

http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

Stream number 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Come on Katie taylor

They vicious punches. fock!

I wonder what is happening in Bray.

Is all womens boxing done in 4 2 min rounds rathe rthan 3 x 3 or just the olympics?

Christ people turn on your sarcasm detectors.

Still, I suppose its my fault for not including a smiley face for the sarcastically challenged :rolleyes:

Pretty ironic considering you failed to see the blatant sarcasm in my reoly to you.
    Oh joy, you've wheeled out the rolleyes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

7-3!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

McGee is an awful waffler, I'm watching it on BBC. Ole Ole coming out on LP next week FFS. Her opponent is like the female version of Prince Naseem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

She's doing the right thing so far. Not getting stuck in or involved in a scrap, keeping back and taking her points. Preserving energy and less risk of injury for the final.

Not as exciting to watch as the match against GB didn't expect her to go all out

Haha brilliant Katie :D:D:D

ThisRegard wrote: »
    McGee is an awful waffler, I'm watching it on BBC. Ole Ole coming out on LP next week FFS. Her opponent is like the female version of Prince Naseem.

Glad you posted that switched over now. Jimmy was talking awful ****e - the bbc commentator guy is quite good

2 minutes can last ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

About 120 seconds usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Shut up Jimmy.

We have Silver. We want Gold! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Easy Easy Easy Easy!!!

• Advertisement