Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Well that must have been the most unexpected bronze medal in Olympic history.

Cian O' Connor wasn't even supposed to be going to the Olympics. Then he didn't qualify for the final but got in because of an injury to another riders country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What a idiot, could not get it, bronze no good.

Suppose you would have won gold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Desperately unlucky there but fair play Cian!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

0.2 seconds away from a Gold Jump off and the last fence away from Silver. Some would say he has no luck.

He hadn't qualified this morning.

2 months ago he wasnt even on the Irish Team. I'd say fair play. Bronze medal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That puts Ireland (population 4.5 million) level with India (population 1.2 billion) on the medals table!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Why are the BBC showing bmx on bbc 1 &3 at the same time !?!?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Go back to starting abusive threads about Australians. You're out of your depth here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

nothing against the boxers, but this is the best irish performance of the olympics

An unexpected medal is always the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Jaysus this BMX is fantastic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

Could not get the silver, might as well not bother entering the jump off.
    Trolling in the Olympics thread just after we got a bronze medal?

Sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Its an Olympic Medal!!! Well done Cian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Old_-_School

what's the best hash-tag on twitter to follow the Irish competitors in the Olympics?

Colmustard wrote: »

Agreed. Way better than the horsie bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Bit of a rush there at the end and cost him but he had no idea what the time was...

Still another medal no matter what colour it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Woohoo! Well done Cian:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Damn he was close. You could see him just going for it. Great effort and we got a medal. He wasn't even going to be there earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Why isn't the rte website working?

I had to watch it on http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/ with no commentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I hope the horse isn't found with anything that Cian won't know anything about

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Ha Ha good lad Jonjo ya ape!! Well Done Cian

Could not get the silver, might as well not bother entering the jump off.

Trollympics is next month dude

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

great unexpected medal but jaysys did he use up his luck getting into the final as first reserve

.02 missed out on a gold medal jump-off after being three seconds clear of the dutch rider

then in the shortened course he was on course to be three seconds clear again and just clipped the last

still that would have been far more painful if it was losing a gold to a silver or losing a bronze to fourth so we'll take it

..at least all our medals won't be in one sport now

and we still have a couple of walkers and a canoeist with prospects and maybe our high jumper can do well too

Another lad just got some slap off the BMX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I think we would be bit greedy if we are disappointed in losing out on Silver.

Its a medal we never expected this morning.

Cian gave it right go. He was not to know that he had bit to spare on the time.

Actually makes me happy that he really went for it even though it cost him the silver.

We take Bronze though. Fantastic!!

garv123 wrote: »
    Another lad just got some slap off the BMX

Yeah Latvian dude. Nasty fall

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA did you hear the commentator - UHHHHHHHHHHHH.....UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Well done Cian, unlucky not to do better.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Hey it's a medal. Better than finishing 4th as we usually do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

donfers wrote: »
    great unexpected medal but jaysys did he use up his luck getting into the final as first reserve

.02 missed out on a gold medal jump-off after being three seconds clear of the dutch rider

then in the shortened course he was on course to be three seconds clear again and just clipped the last

still that would have been far more painful if it was losing a gold to a silver or losing a bronze to fourth so we'll take it

Aye, if he had been just that bit luckier, it could have been gold. Although at the speed the Swiss guy went around the course in the final, it would have been difficult to beat him I'd say

donfers wrote: »

Thats how I felt watching it. Had it been for Gold, or between Bronze and 4th I would have been more Nervous.

Not much between Silver and Bronze was able to watch it more relaxed then I usually would in different situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

efb wrote: »
    Am I the only one that doesn't want him to win?

Nope I agree with you. Never nice seeing a cheat win something in place of others that try through honest endeavours.

Maybe if he wasn't so arrogant about 2004, and maybe if he or someone connected to him or the horse didn't try to steal the B sample in an attempt to keep the medal, I'd have more sympathy.

And lets not forget the vitriol directed towards Christine Ohuruogu earlier in this thread with no evidence she cheated. But never mind, Cian's Irish so its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This is the second time that Cian O'Connor has won our first ever Equestrian Olympic medal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

brilliant well done cian, he could have got a silver but bronze is great. this after he was out of it then back in, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

BBC saying O`Connor has performed "a miracle".

Yeah Latvian dude. Nasty fall

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA did you hear the commentator - UHHHHHHHHHHHH.....UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Been there a few times down the years playing GAA and tis exactly what you sound like when you're trying to talk. He got it spot on :D

Getting winded is actually a horrible experience tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Congratulations to Cian O'Connor and his wonderful horse.

An unexpected but very welcome medal. I guess his luck ran out at the last fence but at least his luck was in and that Swedish rider's horse didn't pass that veterinary inspection this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Where did the rest of the jumpers come? I thought he was well down the pecking order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Beeb probably still peed off the Nick and his super horse that will jump any fence didnt medal :)

This is the second time that Cian O'Connor has won our first ever Equestrian Olympic medal :pac:

ssssh don't tell anyone:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Apparently Jessica Curtain wouldn't go to the Olympics because he was there and they are in the know, so he did dope his horse. So fkuc-him he only a cheat and the dopiest one in the world to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Fair play Cian :D

I must admit when he was stripped of the gold medal all those years ago, I jumped on the bandwagon and condemmed him. I didn't even know at the time the substance found in the horse wasn't a performance enhancing one.

He's proved this time around he's clearly a telented show-jumper. Good on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Only a grade 3 miracle though... nothing to write to the Pope about

• Advertisement

Apparently Jessica Curtain wouldn't go to the Olympics because he was there and they are in the know, so he did dope his horse. So fkuc-him he only a cheat and the dopiest one in the world to boot.

Eh wasn't Jessica Kurtens horse doped as well before??

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2007/1008/223602-kurtenj/

Paddy wins tonight and it will possibly be our best day in Olympics for some time.

Guaranteed 4 Medals now. The best Total since 1956 when we won 5.

If Barnes wins tonight we then have minimum of 5 medals.

Dont think we expected anymore.

Can't wait for the BMX-cross....or whatever they call it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Random fact about Cian O'Connor. His grandfather is Dr.Karl Mullen (born in Courtown), who was Ireland's first ever grand slam winning captain in 1948.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Hmmm, Womens hockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

titan18 wrote: »
    Aye, if he had been just that bit luckier, it could have been gold. Although at the speed the Swiss guy went around the course in the final, it would have been difficult to beat him I'd say

Luckier? Cian wasn't even on the Irish team 2 months ago. He wasn't even suppose to be in the final this morning only a rider pulled out.

Considering all this I think he is pretty lucky to be walking away with a Bronze Medal.

I'm very happy for him. The 2004 Olympics was not his doing. He stood to be a huge star in Ireland after that, instead he was vilified.

This Bronze will be very sweet for him I'd imagine. Well Done Sir.

Paddy wins tonight and it will possibly be our best day in Olympics for some time.

If Annalise had a bit more luck we could have had another one but sure wasn't to be:)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jimmy Macnulty

Well, I think that you would need proof if you were going to make that sort of an accusation. And Cians a very careful man, Father. A very careful man!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Rascasse wrote: »
    Nope I agree with you. Never nice seeing a cheat win something in place of others that try through honest endeavours.

Maybe if he wasn't so arrogant about 2004, and maybe if he or someone connected to him or the horse didn't try to steal the B sample in an attempt to keep the medal, I'd have more sympathy.

And lets not forget the vitriol directed towards Christine Ohuruogu earlier in this thread with no evidence she cheated. But never mind, Cian's Irish so its grand.
    I could be wrong, but didn't the authorities clear him and his vet of deliberately trying to enhance the horse's performance?
    It's also kind of ironic that the Brazilian rider who inherited the gold from O'Connor in 2004 was disqualified from the 2008 Olympics for the same offence.

Don't think we expected half of that to be honest!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement