Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Will this be our best Olympics ever now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Jeez, USA are gaining on China in the medal table! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Colmustard wrote: »
    Apparently Jessica Curtain wouldn't go to the Olympics because he was there and they are in the know, so he did dope his horse. So fkuc-him he only a cheat and the dopiest one in the world to boot.

Thats makes no sense.

Kurten was there in 2004 as was he.

Neither were there in 2008.

2012 O'Connor was only called up as a replacement.

Can't see when she would have said no to the olympics.

She pulled out of some nations cups around 05/06 alright but i'm pretty sure (Not 100%) that they've jumped togther on irish teams in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

leahyl wrote: »
    If Annalise had a bit more luck we could have had another one but sure wasn't to be:)

Not to mention Gavin Noble.

He seems to be being ignored largely. He kept pace with the two Brownlees :eek: for the swim and cycle of the triathlon and came 23rd having broken his leg only 2 months ago!!!!!!

For me - this is the Irish performance so far

Didn't an Irish rider also win a gold for GB as well after he declared for GB after riding for Ireland in the last Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I could be wrong, but didn't the authorities clear him and his vet of deliberately trying to enhance the horse's performance?
    It's also kind of ironic that the Brazilian rider who inherited the gold from O'Connor in 2004 was disqualified from the 2008 Olympics for the same offence.

It wasn't a performance enhancing drug and it was months before the olympics.

It was a relaxant to calm the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Go on Cian!! Great reception from the crowd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Hope this horse isn't on smack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Will this be our best Olympics ever now?

1956 - 5 medals. One gold, one silver, one bronze

1996 - 4 medals. Three gold, one bronze. Have to be counted as they still stand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

Great to see Cian come back and do us proud!

Didn't an Irish rider also win a gold for GB as well after he declared for GB after riding for Ireland in the last Olympics?

Ya Peter Charles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Charles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

If Annalise had a bit more luck we could have had another one but sure wasn't to be:)

Hopefully she will be in Rio in 2016 to put it right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

He seems to be being ignored largely. He kept pace with the two Brownlees :eek: for the swim and cycle of the triathlon and came 23rd having broken his leg only 2 months ago!!!!!!

Indeed, he did very well for a guy that had been injured. Didn't know he kept up with the Brownlee brothers for the swim and cycle:eek::)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Random fact about Cian O'Connor. His grandfather is Dr.Karl Mullen (born in Courtown), who was Ireland's first ever grand slam winning captain in 1948.
    Isn't Tony O'Reilly his uncle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Still she can hold her head proud. She did one or two stupid things. But hey she 4th in World and I am just typing on keyboard.

No shame in 4th although its painful place to be.

I actually know somebody who came 4th in Olympics before. To think had he come in 1 more place better he be well known. He still loves his Sport and done great things as he was not expected to get 4th at time(although Final was within his reach).

Olympics can be cruel. Nobody wants to finish 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If he broke his leg two months ago I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be competing in the Olympics...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Peter Charles rode for Ireland in 1992 and 1996 Olympics. Originally competed for Britain though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Eh wasn't Jessica Kurtens horse doped as well before??

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2007/1008/223602-kurtenj/

I didn't know that, I was talking to my da who knows these horsey things and that is what he told me.

But that does put another perspective on things.

As for my horsey knowledge, equine, ruminants, quadrupedal, I could tell you what they look like.

mrpdap wrote: »

And Pippa O' Connor is his sister:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

What an unexpected surprise it must have been for any Irish in the crowd at the show jumping today to go from having no Irish competitors this morning to winning a bronze medal!

• Advertisement

Sea Filly wrote: »
    1956 - 5 medals. One gold, one silver, one bronze

1996 - 4 medals. Three gold, one bronze. Have to be counted as they still stand.

Actually forgot totally forgot about that:o:o:o

Although lets not open up can of worms:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

A rower from Coleraine won a medal for the Great Britain.

I sometimes think they are confused that NI is not in Britain....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What an unexpected surprise it must have been for any Irish in the crowd at the show jumping today to go from having no Irish competitors this morning to winning a bronze medal!

Aren't all surprises unexpected???:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Great to finally see the tri-colour hoisted all the same

Colmustard wrote: »
    I didn't know that, I was talking to my da who knows these horsey things and that is what he told me.

But that does put another perspective on things.

As for my horsey knowledge, equine, ruminants, quadrupedal, I could tell you what they look like.

Sure I'm the same:) but I remember hearing her giving out stink about Cian and then a few months later we hear that her own horse failed a drugs test - twice:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Altogether now......My lovely horse, running through the fields la la la la la

Well done Cian O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hope this horse isn't on smack.

That would only be a relaxant as well in fairness.

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Altogether now......My lovely horse, running through the fields la la la la la

Well done Cian O'Connor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Heffernan is an outside chance of a medal, and Jezierski in the canoing could possibly medal... As someone said, this has been an unbelievable olympics, 4 medals and if Barnes wins 5, and I have a sneaky suspicion it might not be over yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Luckier? Cian wasn't even on the Irish team 2 months ago. He wasn't even suppose to be in the final this morning only a rider pulled out.

Considering all this I think he is pretty lucky to be walking away with a Bronze Medal.

I'm very happy for him. The 2004 Olympics was not his doing. He stood to be a huge star in Ireland after that, instead he was vilified.

This Bronze will be very sweet for him I'd imagine. Well Done Sir.

Which is why I said a bit luckier, he's been amazingly lucky to get there, if that had kept going, it'd probably be even better, even if bronze is good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

mrpdap wrote: »

And isn't Pat Mustard his sisters father?

buyer95 wrote: »
    Heffernan is an outside chance of a medal, and Jezierski in the canoing could possibly medal... As someone said, this has been an unbelievable olympics, 4 medals and if Barnes wins 5, and I have a sneaky suspicion it might not be over yet

Me too - can't wait to see what the next few days bring! Come on Team Ireland!!:D

The walkers might have a chance at a medal as well fingers crossed :D

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    If he broke his leg two months ago I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be competing in the Olympics...

Fractured his shin in May,put in a great performance yesterday,

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/athletics_irish/116367/

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Eh wasn't Jessica Kurtens horse doped as well before??

http://www.rte.ie/sport/equestrian/2007/1008/223602-kurtenj/

In fairness, people are writing a lot of rubbish about him on this thread. Even if it had been a performance-enhancing drug for CoC's horse, can a cheat never rehabilitate???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Well, I think that you would need proof if you were going to make that sort of an accusation. And Cians a very careful man, Father. A very careful man!

When will this people talking like they're in Father Ted thing ever end? 10 years? 20 years? Sigh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by Lord Trollington
    Luckier? Cian wasn't even on the Irish team 2 months ago. He wasn't even suppose to be in the final this morning only a rider pulled out.

Considering all this I think he is pretty lucky to be walking away with a Bronze Medal.

I'm very happy for him. The 2004 Olympics was not his doing. He stood to be a huge star in Ireland after that, instead he was vilified.

This Bronze will be very sweet for him I'd imagine. Well Done Sir.

Then who done it and in general I do not believe in any conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Aren't all surprises unexpected???:cool:

I asked Santa for a surprise present when I was 6 and I found it in my Ma's wardrobe a week before Xmas so to answer your question....no! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

WallyGUFC wrote: »

Fractured shin in May:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/triathlete-noble-recovers-from-injury-to-take-part-in-olympics-558549.html

Dude - this is why his performance is by far and away the best Irish performance.

I mean its just staggering really. Way more impressive than a Bronze in equestrian to my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

And Pippa O' Connor is his sister:D

And Rachel Wyse, Sky Sports News presenter, his ex :D

We could play a game: "6 Degrees of Cian O'Connor"!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    When will this people talking like they're in Father Ted thing ever end? 10 years? 20 years? Sigh...

Dont know what you mean Ted :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    If you ever say that to me again, I'll put your head through the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Jelly2 wrote: »
    In fairness, people are writing a lot of rubbish about him on this thread. Even if it had been a performance-enhancing drug, can a cheat never rehabilitate???

RTE panelist during the road race in cycling was saying the winner shouldn't have been let back in racing as he was banned for doping. So it's not just Irish people against Cian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

Min wrote: »
    A rower from Coleraine won a medal for the Great Britain.

I sometimes think they are confused that NI is not in Britain....
    Three of them; one sculler, two brothers in lightweight four

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

It wasn't a performance enhancing drug and it was months before the olympics.

It was a relaxant to calm the horse.

You, me and a few others have been saying this through the thread. But some people don't like facts to get in the way of their vitriol.

• Advertisement

Fractured his shin in May,put in a great performance yesterday,

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/athletics_irish/116367/[/QUO

A top 25 place in the triathlon is amazing after that!!

Jelly2 wrote: »
    In fairness, people are writing a lot of rubbish about him on this thread. Even if it had been a performance-enhancing drug, can a cheat never rehabilitate???

That's what I mean - and from what I'm reading here the stuff Cians horse had been given wasn't even a banned substance was it? Might be wrong there. But Jessicas horse tested positive for a Class A banned substance for horses so it's a bit rich her getting on her 'high horse' (:P) about Cian.

I agree, he should be given another chance. It was fairly minor I feel and not intentional.

In fairness nobody has said anything other then we have outside chance in Walking and Canoeing, but I would be very surprised if we have anybody else who medals now.

I think Heffernan will miss out, but he is gutsy guy and finished in 2 top 10 in successive Olympics which is excellent. The Canoeist is up against real stiff competition. Cant see him getting Medal.

Again I will be only too delighted if I am wrong. I will still be shouting for them and be glad to eat humble pie.

Jesus I am just glad I took my 3 weeks Holidays this week. Worth it now for today alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I recon Usain Bolt will go out on the piss with the Dutch Hockey team when he wins the 200m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Downtown is backkkkkkkkkk

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement