Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

1 bronze medal

1 silver or Gold medal from today so far not bad come on Paddy Barnes tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

he's one of those d4 types who just likes the sound of his own voice

I like commentators who know when to emphasise, not just shout the whole match.

There's nothing D4 about that accent. it's a mixture of bog and something else.

Well done to Katie. It was never in doubt.:)

And well done to Cian O'Connor too. fook the begrudgers. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Can ye stop the debate about Cians doping? It's annoying to read :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Colmustard wrote: »
    If that was his defence, I need to be convinced and I imagine a relaxed horse would be easier to handle in an event like that, if not why is it a banned substance.

Justin Gatlin IMO should get a lifetime ban

As for me even sitting on a horse I would want a relaxant.

You imagine wrong, but why take my word, look at the link that shows how Cian and his vet were cleared of any intention to cheat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Any chance of a synopsis of the previous 206 pages? A good one. I don't really fancy reading through it all. What's been going on?

The Olympics are on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Apparently Jessica Curtain wouldn't go to the Olympics because he was there and they are in the know, so he did dope his horse. So fkuc-him he only a cheat and the dopiest one in the world to boot.

That sounds ridiculous, sure he wasn't even going to be there until he was Denis Lynchs replacement. Kurten would hardly cut off her nose to spite her face like that.
    I didn't know that, I was talking to my da who knows these horsey things and that is what he told me.

But that does put another perspective on things.

As for my horsey knowledge, equine, ruminants, quadrupedal, I could tell you what they look like.

:rolleyes: 3rd hand information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Pherekydes wrote: »
    In case you didn't see my question: how do you prove cheating?

Plus, do you know there are certain classes of drug which will lead you to be DQed from the competition in question, but not banned. There is never any question of cheating.

I trust the Olympic committees judgement. They thought it was a medal stripping offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If that was his defence, I need to be convinced and I imagine a relaxed horse would be easier to handle in an event like that, if not why is it a banned substance.

Justin Gatlin IMO should get a lifetime ban

As for me even sitting on a horse I would want a relaxant.

Funny you mention his name.

I see in another thread that somebody was delighted he got 3rd in 100m final.

Yet is disgusted that Cian got medal.

Its so stupid its funny.

I trust the Olympic committees judgement. They thought it was a medal stripping offence.

They also say Cian did nothing malicious, yet you ignore that and still call him a cheat

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Eh, did you miss my post or just ignore it?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0327/oconnorc.html

The important quote is:
    After the 12-hour hearing the International Equestrian Federation disqualified the rider from the Athens games and banned him for three months after finding he breached medication regulations.
    However the FEI said it was satisfied that Cian O'Connor was not involved in a deliberate attempt to influence the performance of the horse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    They also say Cian did nothing malicious, yet you ignore that and still call him a cheat

Yet there is less evidence against Michelle Smith and she is nationally vilified. Her medals were not take back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Can ye stop the debate about Cians doping? It's annoying to read :(

Agghh...so you make an appearance.

I would like to tell you what i think of you, but i would be banned, and imprisoned.

Yet there is less evidence against Michelle Smith and she is nationally vilified. Her medals were not take back

no relevance to the facts in this case, and yes they are facts. Look at the link above

Eh, did you miss my post or just ignore it?
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0327/oconnorc.html

The important quote is:

+1

RTE host just said without any hint of irony that O'Connors medal was our first ever medal in equestrian

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Come on guys, at the end of the day we have a medal we didn't think we would get. I say fair play to him. If you look at his career since 2004 he has actually done pretty well (not that I'm a big follower of showjumping) - I say congrats to Cian and let the man have his moment in the sun. Hooray!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

For the last time:

A medal stripping offence != automatic cheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

Agghh...so you make an appearance.

I would like to tell you what i think of you, but i would be banned, and imprisoned.

What? What are you on about?

Ole Ole Ole Ole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What? What are you on about?

Play the innocent nice guy on here.

I asked the OH, to mmm how to i put this....
    give me head....

....and she said she would rather eat broccoli!!.

Just not right.

• Advertisement

Pherekydes wrote: »
    For the last time:

A medal stripping offence != automatic cheating

On the night of his victory in Athens, two drugs normally used by humans were found in a urine sample taken from Waterford Crystal.
    The horse's B or second urine sample was later stolen in the UK but examination of the B blood sample confirmed traces of the banned drug normally used as anti-depressants by humans.

Someone taking the piss, what motive would anyone have for doing that.

I will remain suspicious, I still have not been convinced by any of your arguments.

I just read this article about that theft.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuknews%2F1475630%2FOlympic-winners-drug-test-vanishes.html&ei=NpEiUMKkEMy5hAeghYCQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFlhzN3ii_-i4NaZQCIcNloNEoMFg&sig2=84Cd4Vo6d5yW_94a3Msebw

But I will leave it there, as I said I am not very knowledgeable about that sport or the nags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Mortal Combat on now... I mean taekwondo.

Have they always worn head gear and chest padding?

Anyone wrote: »
    I recon Usain Bolt will go out on the piss with the Dutch Hockey team when he wins the 200m.

if i was Usain i do every single one of them. Make it an olympics to remember :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Nice to see the support from our Irish brothers and sisters, will be happy to see Ireland have their best showing in many years along with team GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Have any of ye seen Barnes opponent in action? Will Paddy beat him?

Someone taking the piss, what motive would anyone have for doing that.

I will remain suspicious, I still have not been convinced by any of your arguments.

I just read this article about that theft.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuknews%2F1475630%2FOlympic-winners-drug-test-vanishes.html&ei=NpEiUMKkEMy5hAeghYCQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFlhzN3ii_-i4NaZQCIcNloNEoMFg&sig2=84Cd4Vo6d5yW_94a3Msebw

But I will leave it there, as I said I am not very knowledgeable about that sport or the nags.

Then don't assume thins about Cian being a cheat if you, in your own words, "aren't very knowledgeable about the sport"

Fair play to Cian O'Connor. Far as im concerned he is a bronze medallist until proven otherwise and my congratulations to him on doing our nation proud.

Have any of ye seen Barnes opponent in action? Will Paddy beat him?

He reminds me of Colans opponent last night. He will throw more punches then Paddy. Paddy has to counter when he can.

Its really 50/50 and bookies agree(Most give Barnes slight favourite), but with his experience I think Barnes will shade it.

Its the one I most worried about coming into QF. Was confident in Nevin and Conlan, this is going be really close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Larianne wrote: »
    Mortal Combat on now... I mean taekwondo.

Have they always worn head gear and chest padding?

Yes, WTF is full contact so they have always worn the gear (in the olympics anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The women's hockey team have restored my faith in following the Dutch national team again.

Some absolute crackers there!

BMX wow and apparently they race in 8s, I can't wait for that.

I wonder would they let me go down that track on my racer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

BMX wow and apparently they race in 8s, I can't wait for that.

I wonder would they let me go down that track on my racer.

The commentator said on RTE said they now have a track in Sneem,time to rob the nephews BMX and go there and end up breaking myself up :D

The commentator said on RTE said they now have a track in Sneem,time to rob the nephews BMX and go there and end up breaking myself up :D

lol:D Yeah,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

All I can picture watching this taekwondo is hwoarang from tekken :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Is that 80's Dolph Lundgren lining out for Germany in the high Jump?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

lol at the Korean pole vaulter Kim Yoo Suk

The women's hockey team have restored my faith in following the Dutch national team again.

Some absolute crackers there!

The Kiwis had a few right mares too but i tell ya i remember Ruud Gullit aspiring to 'Schexxxxzeee' football one time. Theyve certainly mastered it in womens hockey.

Is that 80's Dolph Lundgren lining out for Germany in the high Jump?

Another Russian Basketballer looks like him as well as Tom Stapleton the Tipperary hurling wing back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The Kiwis had a few right mares too but i tell ya i remember Ruud Gullit aspiring to 'Schexxxxzeee' football one time. Theyve certainly mastered it in womens hockey.

As Johnny Giles would say 'very attractive on the eye, the dutch'.

As well as the pretty girls was a decent game of hockey too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Where is the athletics being shown? I can't find it =(

Edit - Nevermind, I found it on BBC Olympics 1. Can't seem to find the HD version though. If anyone has Freesat and is able to get BBC Olympics 1 HD, can you please post the tuning details? Thanks

• Advertisement

What (or where) is Sneem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Are the Taylor fights up anywhere? I don't have access to RTE player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

I'd love to hear Timmy commentate on the table tennis

Are the Taylor fights up anywhere? I don't have access to RTE player.

Here's yesterday's fight:

I haven't seen today's fight yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yeah
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/
    Choose Boxing in the Playlist and then 51kg, 60kg and 75kg SF - (W)
    08-Aug-12. Replay
    in the video section.

Do Ireland have an olympic handball team ?

We should set one up ourselves for Rio :D

I am watching the wrestling I don't know what to make of it. No Giant Haystacks or Hulk Hogan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I am watching the wrestling I don't know what to make of it. No Giant Haystacks or Hulk Hogan.

I'm just waiting for someone to do a Tombstone :D

Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Brutus "the barber" Beefcake and Bam Bam Bigelow are there though.

A lot of little hulksters there.

Seriously there doesn't seem to be a lot of skill in it just 2 girls mauling each other.

They should make mud wrestling an Olympic sport.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement