Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Typical Brits eh? Had to get the dig in about the recession wha? Only 10 thoudand people left in Ireland then? I'm outraged!! :mad: **** the lot of ye. Aaaaaaargh!

:pac:
    Sure, you know what them godless prods are like!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The Jackets of Kenny Egan :D

Did they have a montage of all his jackets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Why do so many people on here have a problem with Katie all of a sudden as soon as they find out that she believes in God ffs. Big deal like - that's her business!

The main thing here is - the girl is fighting for GOLD tomorrow - COME ON KATIE!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ya,very good,lads in the studio had a great laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Yeah, it was about the only funny thing in those "round-ups" that they do.

Other "funnies" included the Russian basketball coach having a nosebleed and a BMX dude falling of his bike :rolleyes:

This of course was right up Bill's street.

"Look at that feicin eejit there with the big bloody nose on him" he didn't say. But he was thinking it. I can guarantee you that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The darling of Boards.ie Laura Trott has been spotted at the beach volleyball with Prince Harry
    Christ he doesnt waste much time does he smile.gif

Hes has to get in there before Bolt has his way with the entire female population of the Olympic village :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

markie29 wrote: »
    what kind of accent does he have though?

Yorkshire-Bray hybrid accent I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bit of a dodgy decision in that last boxing match involving the British guy. Not quite a robbery but harsh

keith16 wrote: »
    Stylish. As. Fcuk. The man is class personified! He does speak very well (despite what people think of his accent).

I'd say he would be great company over a snifter of port.

To be honest, whilst I don't get why everyone is calling Ian Thorpe camp, I actually find Andy Lee much more camp in his spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

American/English/Limerick mish mash of an accent

Bit of a traveller accent in there too. He's a seriously classy guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I could not care less if she worshiped the Devil.

20 Years ago to the day Michael Curruth won his Gold Medal!!!!

Where has time gone?

No wonder we did so well today:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Where has time gone?

Never forget his jumping around the ring when he found out he won,the Cuban was towering over him as well,was some win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

keith16 wrote: »
    Stylish. As. Fcuk. The man is class personified! He does speak very well (despite what people think of his accent).

I'd say he would be great company over a snifter of port.

I know a lad was out with a few boys from college in Limerick a few years back. They bumped into Andy and he was off his rocker on the drink. Doubt it'd have taken much to get him in that state but they managed to get his number for some reason. Think he wanted them to give him a call some time to head on the pints again :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Ya,very good,lads in the studio had a great laugh

Have got to see that :D Been trying to get it on the replay on the RTE player, but can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

God... wrote: »
    Bit of traveller accent in there too. He's a seriously classy guy.

Does he actually come from an Irish Traveling background? He's a seriously nice chap in any case.. and proper dapper too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭God...

Does he actually come from an Irish Traveling background? He's a seriously nice chap in any case.. and proper dapper too.

As far as I know yes. Great ambassador for Irish boxing.

Just looking at betting and all the Irish fighters are underdogs to go through to final.

No surprises really. Still think Nevin will give Estrada enough of it.

Barnes will have be on his A++ game to beat Zou. Think Conlan will find it tough too.

Still though you never know. 2/3 is best I think we will get.

Never forget his jumping around the ring when he found out he won,the Cuban was towering over him as well,was some win

Could not watch it as Kid. I was so desperate to see him win Gold, especially after Wayne had lost out in his bout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Katie has always had a hotline to God, so what like? Whatever gets her through gets her through, just like the rest of us. Just shows how little people know about one of our great Olympic hopefuls if they don't know that already though?!?

Go Katie, bring it on home to Bray girl!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Hmmm, seems Katie's opponent has her excuses at the ready for if she loses! :D

http://olympics.breakingnews.ie/news/taylor-just-another-boxer--ochigava-562307.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Katie has always had a hotline to God, so what like? Whatever gets her through gets her through, just like the rest of us. Just shows how little people know about one of our great Olympic hopefuls if they don't know that already though?!?

ya i know, but it seems a bit hypocritical

"oh lord help me knock seven shades of sh1t out of my opponent tommorow"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Now ranked 66th on Olympic medal table with our 1 bronze. Get in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

fryup wrote: »

50 shades of Bray, surely? :P

Who the hell designed the Russian team jackets? They're worse than Kenny Egan's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Dr.Broccoli

We're per head of population, doing better than GB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Show me where she said that.

Y'know I'm not great on God, but maybe she's an Old Testament kind of Christian.

Show me where she said that.

she didn't say it:rolleyes: i'm just making a point

i'm just sayin its a bit hypocritical of her as a christan to be knockin seven bells out of someone

after all one of the christan fundamentals beliefs is....."love thy neighbour"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

she didn't say it:rolleyes: i'm just making a point

i'm just sayin its a bit hypocritical of her as a christan to be knockin seven bells out of someone

after all one of the christan fundamentals beliefs is....."love thy neighbour"
    Yeah because Tajikistan is just up the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A whole day without a medal...its like all the air has been let out...:(

• Advertisement

I was bored during the Opening Ceremony and looked up all of the stats. Per 100,000 people we're just behind America and GB in the medals table. I'd say our tally in this Olympics may have pushed us ahead of both of them.

We were exactly 50th in the all-time Summer Olympics medal tally. I'd say we may well rise after the end of the games.

Considering we've averaged around 1 medal for every Olympics we've done brilliantly this time around and it could get better over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Is it true that Paddy Barnes is the first boxer to win more than one olympic medal? I heard that today but I find that hard to believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Where has time gone?

McCullough got silver the same day as well.

I love the womens boxing, much prefer it to the mens. I like Conlan though, love his style, think he has a chance if he's on his game.

O'Connor is probably the real story, shouldn't really have been there, or the final and gets a bronze, never mind the Athens story added in.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Blisterman wrote: »
    Is it true that Paddy Barnes is the first boxer to win more than one olympic medal? I heard that today but I find that hard to believe.

First Irish boxer yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

RikkFlair wrote: »
    First Irish boxer yeah

Oh right. I misheard as first boxer in the world.

This guy's won three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te%C3%B3filo_Stevenson

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The thing is we're not though, Britain have medaled in a vast amount of different sports. Take away our boxing medals and it doesn't look too good at all. We've implemented a successful boxing programme that's yielding results but we seem to be falling further behind in other disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Blisterman wrote: »
    Oh right. I misheard as first boxer in the world.

This guy's won three.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te%C3%B3filo_Stevenson

And this guy matched him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9lix_Sav%C3%B3n

Nice piece on the BBC about Katie there, presenter put her foot in it though, "this is like a home olympics for Ireland, we aren't going to have a Dublin olympics are we, or maybe we will, I don't know, I'm going to get letters in now aren't I".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I was bored during the Opening Ceremony and looked up all of the stats. Per 100,000 people we're just behind America and GB in the medals table. I'd say our tally in this Olympics may have pushed us ahead of both of them.

The rules on max-contestants-per-event go a long way to balancing out population imbalances, e.g., Team GB were so dominant in the velodrome that it would be safe to assume that if allowed enter more than 1 contestant per event they would have added silver and bronzes to their many golds.
    But whether your population is 5M, 50M or 500M there are loads of events you can only enter 1 contestant, so there is a huge negative bias for the big pop countries to overcome.

Obviously I know you are sensible enough to see it only as an interesting stat, but theres a retard element in my workplace (and doubtless the Irish media over the next few days) who seem to think its some remarkable event. :(

Nice piece on the BBC about Katie there, presenter put her foot in it though, "this is like a home olympics for Ireland, we aren't going to have a Dublin olympics are we, or maybe we will, I don't know, I'm going to get letters in now aren't I".

Who was the presenter? Clare Balding by any chance?

Yeah that was funny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

There doing a feature on woman's boxing on five live now but it's Nicola Adams!!! Lol

ya and we're even further ahead of China as well cause they've got 90 medals from a population 1 billion, they're pathetic

Who was the presenter? Clare Balding by any chance?
    Gobby Logan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

The thing is we're not though, Britain have medaled in a vast amount of different sports. Take away our boxing medals and it doesn't look too good at all. We've implemented a successful boxing programme that's yielding results but we seem to be falling further behind in other disciplines.

But why would we take away the boxing medals. Britain have targetted particular sports (track cycling, rowing) and dominated. Their record on track and field, whilst still decent, isn't exactly top of the heap. We have simply done the same by focusing on areas we're good at, and we too are reaping the rewards for it. Let's not forget also, that we had a very near miss in sailing, and who knows what Eoin would have done in the slalom had he not have had a terrible peice of bad luck. Our track and field athletes team are one of the weakest we've sent, but these things happen in cycles, and come the next Olympics or the following one, we'll have another Sonia O'Sullivan or Eamonn Coughlan to do the biz. Saying that, I'm still confident of another medal from left of field - our male and female walkers are in with a shout.

The rules on max-contestants-per-event go a long way to balancing out population imbalances, e.g., Team GB were so dominant in the velodrome that it would be safe to assume that if allowed enter more than 1 contestant per event they would have added silver and bronzes to their many golds.
    But whether your population is 5M, 50M or 500M there are loads of events you can only enter 1 contestant, so there is a huge negative bias for the big pop countries to overcome.

Obviously I know you are sensible enough to see it only as an interesting stat, but theres a retard element in my workplace (and doubtless the Irish media over the next few days) who seem to think its some remarkable event. :(

Oh yea I only bothered looking it up because my dad asked me about it and I didn't know. That and we had to wait 40 minutes or so for the Irish team to come out in the parade.

When were the max-contestants brought in do you know?

I noticed there that in 1904 the USA won practically every single event. It helped big time that it was on in America but even still it was ridiculous. They won 239 medals. Germany were second with 13, Cuba in third with 9 and Team GB in 6th place with 2.

Only 12 countries competed in it but the USA had over 500 competitors. No wonder they won so many medals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't get the criticism. Andy Lee was the only boxing participant in 04, the Sports Council targetted boxing and pumped big money at boxing, same as Britain targeted the cycling and rowing. We put money into sailing as well and nearly got a medal. You have to se patient with this stuff, Chris Boardman won gold for Britain in 92, Britain pumped money in but it took a decade or so to dominate.

We are becoming a world power at boxing and young boys and girlls will want to emulate it. The Sports Council know we've a tradition at it, seen only 1 boxer at the 04 Olympics and went for it. GB was criticised at boxing at the last Olympics, only 1 or 2 qualifiers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

She has a point really. We dont have a city for it. some people think Dublin is a big city :pac::rolleyes: but in reality its not at all.
    The London Olympics will be the closest we will ever get to a home event and Athletes cant use the climate difference as an excuse either.

There is the thing. 5 out of our 66 athletes have taken medals whereas how many of Team GBs as a percentage and thats in individual efforts? Holland have a small population but their competitive rate is incredible. In my opinion they are the model we should aspire to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It kinda shows how much people have to walk on eggshells when it comes to Ireland. Earlier in the thread i posted a response to the editor of the Telegraph saying well done to Katie Taylor on twitter. The Irish person sent a tweet to him saying he hopes he gets MS and followed it with that he hopes he gets cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Just watching highlights of the equestrian today. Horses really are majestic creatures.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement