Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    BMX would be a good sport to invest in. Build a few tracks, kids will get their own bikes, and it looks like loads of fun.

Until little johnny falls, sues the council and its closed down.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    BMX would be a good sport to invest in. Build a few tracks, kids will get their own bikes, and it looks like loads of fun.

I find it amazing that BMX actually made it as an Olympic sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Ah here, Marty Morrissey in reference to Taylor 'She floats like a butterfly, stings like a Katie Taylor'.

Jaysus Marty, lay off the spritzers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Our most amount of medals since 1956 and we still complain.

Listen, the bottom line is that we dont have the facilities. We should have pumped more money into sport when we had it.

Do we have Cycling tracks? Or Top class Tracks to run on? or the best coaches?

Where is it going to come from now in recession? Im sure most of you will agree that Sport is not top priority with people at the moment and things like healthcare are.

We are now producing better sprinters then ever before. Derval, Gillick, Hession. and with the likes of Gregan and English coming through in 400m and 800m respectively, then I think the future is bright in Athletics.

Not every country is good at everything and ot country success is buying people to represent them.

Aidric wrote: »
    Ah here, Marty Morrissey in reference to Taylor 'She floats like a butterfly, stings like a Katie Taylor'.

Jaysus Marty, lay off the spritzers.

Words fail me, did the clown really say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what if katie loses today???

will we still love her?? or will we sneer??

fryup wrote: »

Dont worry, its not going to happen.

Dont worry, its not going to happen.

Be careful, don't tempt faith. A boxing match is never a foregone conclusion, you're always only one good punch away from hitting the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Be careful, don't tempt faith. A boxing match is never a foregone conclusion, you're always only one good punch away from hitting the deck.

Interesting, considering the silly debate of the last few pages.

Was tongue in cheek comment.

Dont worry I only know too well. Been watching Amateur boxing for 20 years now and shocks do happen.

Katie is beatable no doubt. Any boxer is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

We would never sneer, she has achieved so much. I have to say I would be absolutely gutted for her if it was silver, she has been so dominant in her field it would be wrong for silver to be the ending.

Today is going be Chess Match. The Russian is going to be up to every little trick in the book.

I did chuckle at the Russian girls comments about Katie getting easy scoring. She would know in fairness with her been Russian and all that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Actually, most people will sneer, and that's disgusting, but again, most people have never been close to high level sport. I'd love to see her get the gold, and really hope she does, but if all she comes home with is an Olympic silver, she's still won an Olympic silver medal and that puts her in the absolute top echelons of elite sport. There are many, many wonderful athletes who never get an Olympic medal for dozens of reasons, who collect every other serious accolade in their sport but never wear the Olympic crown. That's just how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Actually, most people will sneer,

No they won't. A couple of idiots will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sneer at her for winning a silver medal??? I'll still love her and still see her as one of the best, if not the best, Irish Sportstar!

I'm nervous already! After what the Russian was saying yesterday I hope Katie knocks her out then gives her a kick in the cunt for good measure!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to the BMX races today,going to be mental id say

DOWNTOWN!!!!

DOWNTOWN!!!!

What time is it on at, enjoyed the time trials yesterday!

I am dreading next Monday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm nervous already!! Taking a half day off work and hope to get down good and early and soak up the atmosphere. Workmates (all sport phobic and good forbid they'd actually cheer on their Team GB) cannot appreciate my excitement.

C'mon Katie Taylor!!

kfallon wrote: »
    What time is it on at, enjoyed the time trials yesterday!

I am dreading next Monday :(

Olympics hangover next Monday

The BMX quarter finals are on at 3pm

• Advertisement

I'm nervous already!! Taking a half day off work and hope to get down good and early and soak up the atmosphere. Workmates (all sport phobic and good forbid they'd actually cheer on their Team GB) cannot appreciate my excitement.

C'mon Katie Taylor!!

Promise me you'll wear your Irish jersey to work tomorrow if/when she wins Gold :D

Olympics hangover next Monday

The BMX quarter finals are on at 3pm

The only good thing is the football starts back the following Saturday!

kfallon wrote: »
    The only good thing is the football starts back the following Saturday!

Ya,proper football,didnt watch much of the Olympics football,expect when Alex Morgan was playing

Ya,proper football,didnt watch much of the Olympics football,expect when Alex Morgan was playing

Watch the France bronze medal match in the women's, you won't be disappointed by Louisa Necrib!!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

DOWNTOWN!!!!
    Really enjoyed the BMX myself, very exciting stuff. Is it time trials the whole way or are there any 'artistic impression' competitions at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Our most amount of medals since 1956 and we still complain.

Listen, the bottom line is that we dont have the facilities. We should have pumped more money into sport when we had it.

Do we have Cycling tracks? Or Top class Tracks to run on? or the best coaches?

Where is it going to come from now in recession? Im sure most of you will agree that Sport is not top priority with people at the moment and things like healthcare are.

We are now producing better sprinters then ever before. Derval, Gillick, Hession. and with the likes of Gregan and English coming through in 400m and 800m respectively, then I think the future is bright in Athletics.

Not every country is good at everything and ot country success is buying people to represent them.

Agreed. Anyone with a promising talent simply leaves Ireland to get access to such facilities and top coaching. Athletic emigration so to speak.

When you consider someone like John Delaney in the FAI getting 430k a year, surely such funding could be used to provide promising athletes with Athletic Visas to train full time abroad.

• Advertisement

C'mon Katie Taylor!!

Bloody sportaphobes :D. Tell them they've a British girl in the flyweight final just before Katie's fight.

Setun wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the BMX myself, very exciting stuff. Is it time trials the whole way or are there any 'artistic impression' competitions at all?

Today I think its races,8 in a race,yesterday was just time trials to get positions for the today's races,well that's what i think the format is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

johne30 wrote: »
    . And friend the gaa will never be an olympic sport because the are basically to violent for a global audience.

:pac:

This comment has already made my morning.:rolleyes:

GAA will never be an Olympic sport because it's too violent..

Try GAA will never be an Olympic sport because its only mainly played in Ireland and some Irish clubs in the states and Australia by Irish people and the people would need citizenship to represent them countries.

Hockey, boxing and all other fighting sports don't seem too violent for global audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Setun wrote: »

There should be group races at some stage, they usually involve at least 2 or 3 riders per race crashing.

Words fail me, did the clown really say that?

Yep. John Murray played the clip on his show this morning.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    There should be group races at some stage, they usually involve at least 2 or 3 riders per race crashing.

Excellent :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

ThisRegard wrote: »

Thats the ones today (quarter finals) and tomorrow (semi & final) I believe.

Them going around on their own was to decide the seedings for the actual races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Everyone go to Google right now and do the Canoe Slalom. Its brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Nervous. This brings me back to Sonia's 5000m final in Sydney in 2000. It was on in the morning during a double maths session. Torture. And after, I remember a friend coming up to me with a disappointed expression on her face. Gutting. COME ON KATIE!!!!

Our high jumper Deirdre Ryan has been eliminated at the first round. Unfortunate.

Watching the Taekwondo,looks like thre ref wants to join in:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Everyone go to Google right now and do the Canoe Slalom. Its brilliant.

17 seconds :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Womens beach volleyball in HD is now my favourite sport.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Womens beach volleyball in HD is now my favourite sport.

Horny Definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

anyone know when the 50k walk is?

• Advertisement

Saturday.

Mens Saturday morning at 9am
    Womens 20k walk Saturday at 5pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I guess Bolt will get Gold & Blake Silver, but does anyone else rate Lemaitre's chances for a Bronze tonight? as the token whits sprinter I would like to see him do something, although I thought he was below par in the heats!

Bronze or bust for Lemaitre?

Mens 200 Metres Final 20:55 TONIGHT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I WISH I had a jersey!! Will be makeshift green with whatever I can find, and have two flags from the Euro shop from when I was home last!! Resting the vocal chords ;)

Unfort my office are of the 'ew, women boxing, that's awful, it shouldnt be etc'. I watched yesterday's match on my phone sitting on a wall in the carpark :)

Watching the clock now, heading out these doors at 12:30 :)

Pity bout our high jumper :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irish high jump girl didn't even get over the first level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Good morning my fellow couch/office chair olympians. No real change in the leaders :(

I've included the over 300 scored posters countries underneath their score.

god 357
    USA, China, Russia, Germany, France, South Korea, Japan, Spain, Canada, Kazakhstan

nicevery 332
    USA China GB Germany France South Korea Italy Spain Brazil Kenya

diegomaradona 315
    USA China Russia Australia Italy Japan Cuba Brazil Khazakhstan Jamaica

jesus shaves 314
    USA Russia GB Australia Germany South Korea Japan Kenya Khazakhstan Jamaica

tadghSk 305
    USA Russia GB Australia France South Korea Italy Netherlands Kenya Khazakhstan

mynameisurl 304
    USA Russia GB Australia Germany Ukraine Japan CubaBelarus Spain

irish stew 273
    pherekydes 240
    sparks 237
    barney92 230
    samich 222
    mars bar 215
    deftlefthand 175
    westendgirlie 171
    kfallon 154

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

mike65 wrote: »
    Irish high jump girl didn't even get over the first level.

She jumped 1.80 and 1.85 but failed at 1.9. I think her SB is 1.91, but compared to the others it was always going to be an uphill task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Also worth noting that she's battling an injury, in the form of a trapped nerve in her back, as of very recently, and only arrived in the Olympic village the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Also worth noting that she's battling an injury, .

Sure she wouldnt have been brought to the Olympics if she wasnt.

• Advertisement

Good morning my fellow couch/office chair olympians. No real change in the leaders :(

I've included the over 300 scored posters countries underneath their score.

god 357
    USA, China, Russia, Germany, France, South Korea, Japan, Spain, Canada, Kazakhstan

nicevery 332
    USA China GB Germany France South Korea Italy Spain Brazil Kenya

diegomaradona 315
    USA China Russia Australia Italy Japan Cuba Brazil Khazakhstan Jamaica

jesus shaves 314
    USA Russia GB Australia Germany South Korea Japan Kenya Khazakhstan Jamaica

tadghSk 305
    USA Russia GB Australia France South Korea Italy Netherlands Kenya Khazakhstan

mynameisurl 304
    USA Russia GB Australia Germany Ukraine Japan CubaBelarus Spain

irish stew 273
    pherekydes 240
    sparks 237
    barney92 230
    samich 222
    mars bar 215
    deftlefthand 175
    westendgirlie 171
    kfallon 154

Last!!! :eek: