Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

steve9859 wrote: »
    Vince Lombardi: "Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

I 100% agree.....

Then there's a lot of losers at this Olympics...

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Biggins wrote: »
    I though the Russian showed serious disrespect with her arms stubbornly folded all the time at the awarding of the medals.
    Not just to Katie but to the boxing competition over all.

It doesn't matter what you think because you haven't a notion whether or not she was being disrespectful. A lot of people can naturally fold their arms when they're upset to comfort themselves.

Give over, typical Irish sore winner attitude. We're great losers but terrible winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

1ZRed wrote: »
    Michael Phelps on his own still beats us out!!:eek:

Poor man's Katie Taylor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Darragh said that she said something like "no wonder there is a recession in Ireland when they are paying judges".

AWful really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Fairly tense fight. Fair play to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

For the love of god will someone shoot Jimmy McGee,in the middle of the fight he was rabbiting on about Barcelona and such what.Jimmy Dementia McGee.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Of course she's understandably disappointed as are all the silver medallists at all the other events. Doesn't matter. There's a way to behave in this situation.

Theres a way for the crowd to behave and thats not to boo, but its not a surprise is it with the likes of them.

And another thing being a silver medalist, is alot different to losing a gold medal by 2 points in a very debatable decision to a a practically home town competitior.

But it happened to Kenny Egan in Beijing, so we may enjoy it now. Anyway fair play to her , worldwide hero now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Twitter congrats from Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and Oscar De la Hoya. Thats some tribute.

G'wan girl you deserve it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Aidric wrote: »
    :confused:

Thats not an insult.

She had a puss on her. I never called her any names.

Moving on.

Piers Morgan has been donating money to the Great Ormond St Hospital everytime a national anthem has been sung with any sort of pride.
    Piers Morgan ‏@piersmorgan
    For singing their anthem louder than anyone at the Olympics, the amazing Irish crowd at Katie Taylor ceremony deserve £1k to @GreatOrmondSt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Thats because i deleted them. There are ways to criticize people but calling someone a cnut is not one of them.

It's like when the teacher gives out to the whole class regarding one thing and you both know it was aimed at you :o

• Advertisement

Tbh I thought the crowd were great. The other 3 fighters (including the Russian) got great cheers at the end as good as I've seen in the games for non-home losers and big names

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Darragh said that she said something like "no wonder there is a recession in Ireland when they are paying judges".

AWful really

Who said that?

Aidric wrote: »
    Who said that?

Russian fighter apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

DB10 wrote: »
    Theres a way for the crowd to behave and thats not to boo, but its not a surprise is it with the likes of them.

True, but that doesn't excuse her behaviour. She could take the higher ground. And Katie didn't boo her and didn't deserve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's like when the teacher gives out to the whole class regarding one thing and you both know it was aimed at you :o

Not just you. I think i deleted 5 or 6 other comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Higher wrote: »
    It doesn't matter what you think because you haven't a notion whether or not she was being disrespectful. A lot of people can naturally fold their arms when they're upset to comfort themselves.

Give over, typical Irish sore winner attitude. We're great losers but terrible winners.

Meow!

Did I put any downers on anyone winning?
    Get off your high-horse!
    I'm posing opinion on respect for others, a sport and a national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

That ice cream van is under some pressure in the background

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Did he say "Washing machine"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Did he say "Washing machine"?

Bleedin ya deadly

Not just you. I think i deleted 5 or 6 other comments.

But it was me who proudly made the cnut comment :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

Meow!

Did I put any downers on anyone winning?
    Get off your high-horse!
    I'm posing opinion on respect for others, a sport and a national anthem.

You have 30,000 posts and insinuate that your some kind of secret agent on an internet forum. I will stay up here, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Typical RTE showing delayed coverage of the final.....

:pac:

garv123 wrote: »
    Typical RTE showing delayed coverage of the final.....

:pac:

Sky plus on the fritz again yeah?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

For the love of god will someone shoot Jimmy McGee,in the middle of the fight he was rabbiting on about Barcelona and such what.Jimmy Dementia McGee.
    If I can speak even half as coherently and passionately as Jimmy Magee does about anything when I'm almost 80, I'll be a happy man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Beeb starting the build-up for the 200m! Can't wait :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Of course he's right. You stand with your arms by your sides when an anthem is being played. Anything else, bar the hand over the heart or a military salute, is disrespectful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RTe1 now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Thats not an insult.

She had a puss on her. I never called her any names.

Moving on.

Piers Morgan has been donating money to the Great Ormond St Hospital everytime a national anthem has been sung with any sort of pride.

That's in Dublin, right?

Ah no, fair play to the man. :)

Katie on BBC 2 at 10 o'clock tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Exactly. "any links" is the most annoying thing I see on boards. Google it and make up your own mind!

Make up my own mind about what?

You have 30,000 posts and insinuate that your some kind of secret agent on an internet forum. I will stay up here, thank you very much.

What the hell are you on about?
    I never said that - and for god sake, this is a thread about sport - why are you throwing that ****e around in here?

Jeasus H Christ, get a life and get over yourself!

zero19 wrote: »
    Make up my own mind about what?

Whether or not you find them credible. Not a dig at you personally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Well done Katie. Absolutely brilliant. The only dissapointing thing was the Russian stropping and trying to ruin her moment, but who cares Katie's the champion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

DB10 wrote: »
    why wouldnt the russian be pissed after losing such a close contest?

the crowd didnt even cheer her ffs, shes only human

Go back and watch it again, they did cheer her when she went up to get her medal. She should have showed a bit of respect.
    Anyone wrote: »
    Twitter congrats from Evander Holyfield

Only after he mentioned the British boxer and a load of people tweeted him about not mentioning Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Gary Linekar just tweeted that Katie will be in studio on BBC2 at 10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I broke my parents lamp shade when Taylor hand was risen. On normal day my Dad would more likely have went nuts.

Instead myself, my dad and brother just went nuts around the house when the verdict was given.

You cant buy moments like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Stephen Fry tweets his congrats too!

The girl deserves this adulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Can anyone who knows what they're talking about clarify just how close the match was? A few people have said it's debatable...

So proud of Katie Taylor all the same, incredible woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Can anyone who knows what they're talking about clarify just how close the match was? A few people have said it's debatable...

There was two points in it I think.

• Advertisement

I gave it by 3 points to Taylor in end.

Felt she won the first by 1 (judge draw)
    she lost second by 1 (judges agreed with me)
    she won the third by 4 (judges felt it was 3)
    and lost last by 1 (judges gave draw)

I gave it to Taylor by 3 and judges by 2.

Best fighter won imo so does not matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm sorry but it was absolutely disgraceful the way the Russian behaved when our national anthem was being played. Of course she's upset she lost but FFS show a bit of respect to the person that won fair and square. If it was Katie in that position do you think she'd behave that way? Would she f**k?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I thought the russian looked unhappy she just had her arms folded and didn't even smile.
    It was good seeing katie receive gold :) and a good change to hear the irish anthem after the china/uk/usa ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Gary Linekar just tweeted that Katie will be in studio on BBC2 at 10

Why oh why does that clown get to be the one to interview her?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

darced wrote: »

Getting knocked down wouldnt have changed anything. A knock down is only a point for the punch/punches that put you there and she got a point for the punch before katie lost her footing

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it was absolutely disgraceful the way the Russian behaved when our national anthem was being played. Of course she's upset she lost but FFS show a bit of respect to the person that won fair and square. If it was Katie in that position do you think she'd behave that way? Would she f**k?!

and if she did plenty of people would have said it was disgrace what Taylor did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

leahyl wrote: »

Yeah, but the Russian is only a human being. Katie Taylor is a Katie Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

There was two points in it I think.

Oh I know yeah I just meant some people who know more about boxing than I do seem to think that it was possible the Russian could have won and that it came down to debatable scoring by the judges. Just curious. I still think Taylor is amazing.

EDIT: A few people answered just as I posted this. Seems Katie won fair and square :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Such a memorable day and what a unifying Irish occasion

I have to admit (to my detriment) I knew very little of Katie Taylor before the Olympics but she's a true ambassador for Ireland.

Aside from this I LOVE this thread for keeping me up to date with Olympics.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement