Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Like are yis still going on about Katie:rolleyes:

You would swear it was only medal won today, lyke someone won a gold at the horsey place.

I actually thought there was going to be a countback, I thought it was closer then a 2 deficit. I thought the Russian fought well and it was a very good fight. But me poor heart couldn't take to much of that tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Ahh god hearing about Michael Carruth's gold medal back in 92 now so I am - I was only a 6 month old baby but I was dragged out of bed by my grandfather and planked straight down in front of the TV to see him win the first medal for Ireland in about 40 years - wasn't been let miss that fight so I wasn't :pac: - damn I hate hearing these baby stories in a way but funny all the same :o

still I wonder how many kids will be told about the time Katie Taylor won gold for Ireland over in London back in the day when they were only young'uns... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I thought the russian looked unhappy she just had her arms folded and didn't even smile.

I've seen her fight before and that seems to be her attitude in general. She takes it all very 'seriously'.. almost like how professional boxers play up to audiences and create drama outside of the ring. She's been ranting for the last few days about how Katie would have an unfair advantage in the final.. questioning the judges impartiality and so on. It's all for show imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

leahyl wrote: »
    I'm sorry but it was absolutely disgraceful the way the Russian behaved when our national anthem was being played. Of course she's upset she lost but FFS show a bit of respect to the person that won fair and square. If it was Katie in that position do you think she'd behave that way? Would she f**k?!

In Soviet Russia, boxing match disgrace you! :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

The Russian looked pissed because to be honest I think she won that fight or at the very least drew.

Like I said, delighted for Taylor but I'm unsure if she won that tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Why oh why does that clown get to be the one to interview her?

Ya slippery Gary,should have left Gabby Logan interview her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    I didn't see many insults. :confused: The way the Russian was acting stuck out like a sore thumb. It's going to be commented upon.

Thats because i deleted them. There are ways to criticize people but calling someone a cnut is not one of them.

It looks like a comment I made was deleted also and I certainly didn't call her a c**t. She was just so disrespectful I felt I had to comment and made a tongue in cheek comment and it was removed - a bit harsh I thought but you're the boss :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Great day for Irish sport, hopefully this will encourage more kids to get into sports!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Katie Taylor 4 Time World Champion, 5 Time European Champion, 1 Olympic Gold Medal>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Jessica Ennis 1 Time World Champion, 1 European Champion, 1 Olympic Gold Medal.

Move over Jessica, there is a new Golden Girl in town:D

I still think your hot though Jessica and I still am happy to see team GB do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I'm sorry but it was absolutely disgraceful the way the Russian behaved when our national anthem was being played. Of course she's upset she lost but FFS show a bit of respect to the person that won fair and square. If it was Katie in that position do you think she'd behave that way? Would she f**k?!

Absolute disgrace. Just watched it back, hadn't realised she had them folded for the whole anthem.

Gandhi wrote: »

Yeah, but the Russian is only a human being. Katie Taylor is a Katie Taylor.

Lol! She's superhuman :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I've seen her fight before and that seems to be her attitude in general. She takes it all very 'seriously'.. almost like how professional boxers play up to audiences and create drama outside of the ring. She's been ranting for the last few days about how Katie would have an unfair advantage in the final.. questioning the judges impartiality and so on. It's all for show imo.

Oh then it must just be how she is. She would've been upset at just missing the gold medal though there's nothing wrong if she was and everyone who competes would've been going for gold.
    I wasn't bothered about her folding her arms, I just thought she'd be smiling as all of the ones I've watched everyone is smiling whatever place they get. She seemed fine with Katie after the medal ceremony like the way they both gave each other a hug and whatever.

Higher wrote: »
    The Russian looked pissed because to be honest I think she won that fight or at the very least drew.

Ah i think you'll find she did win it since she has the Gold medal!

• Advertisement

You be wrong.

Just go to boxing forum.

They always been honest there and nobody said she was second best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

You're moving into the silver medal spot in our Trollympics!

Just seen a report about the American China rivalry, The USA don't like been second.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Kenny Egan and Mick Dowling hate each other is say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It was close, so close, but the better fighter won and rightly so.

• Advertisement

Reeling in the years 2004 on rte1 just now- they just showed interviews with Cian O connor about the doping stuff.

Someone in rte scheduling has an ironic sense of timing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

So do you think the judges did score in favour of Katie and not impartially? Also what is a countback?

Pudsy33 wrote: »

It was close, so close, but the better fighter won and rightly so.

It was definitely close but Taylor had the edge according to the commentary (I'm no expert on boxing) but you could see it was close. But our Katie stuck to the game plan as they say and as Bernard would say she wasn't a "duuurty fighter" :-P

I thought the Russian won the last round by 2-3 points, thats all.

Anyway I'm not getting involved, Irish people are incapable of being rational when it comes to one of our own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Ah i think you'll find she did win it since she has the Gold medal!
    You be wrong.

Just go to boxing forum.

They always been honest there and nobody said she was second best.

Aye, we can take it she was awarded points from those more well qualified than most here to judge such a fight.

In my UN-qualified opinion, I though the Russian was very 'grabby', got a few digs in as Katie was slipping down at one stage and got some more lucky strikes than with skill too. A few rational thoughts.
    ...But I'm open to be wrong and equally, judged so.

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    So do you think the judges did score in favour of Katie and not impartially? Also what is a countback?

If its draw. so say it was 10-10 then it goes to person who thrown most punches.

In that case I would agree that Russian had won.

But, better fighter won. Just. But that makes it sweeter imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just seen a report about the American China rivalry, The USA don't like been second.

Ridiculously competitive, isn't it? I honestly don't think the Olympics means as much for the average person though in countries like that, unlike Ireland, because they are so used to collecting medals. Unless the medallist comes from the same part of the country, I guess.

The BBC commentary were calling it all Katie's way by the way - they had no doubts

It was definitely close but Taylor had the edge according to the commentary (I'm no expert on boxing) but you could see it was close. But our Katie stuck to the game plan as they say and as Bernard would say she wasn't a "duuurty fighter" :-P

What commentary? RTE and BBC would be outrageously pro-Irish. I am just saying I thought she lost that last round by 2-3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

It looked like it'd be a close call . The russian did pretty good too Katie was just better in the last few rounds. If anyone saw the GB boxing match on the bbc just before that one wasn't close at all and I think the score was 17-9 (or it might've been 11).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

You quite clearly don't know much about amateur boxing.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Originally Posted by Higher

I did think it was closer and at the end I thought it may go to a countback but I think Taylor did enough to win it if it did go to a countback,

People don't be so sensitive about people folding their arms during an anthem, who on earth actually notices shti like that.

The Russian is a hell of a fighter and put it up to the favourite, she deserves our respect and I am sure we will hear of Sofya Ochigava again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Just watching the Decathlon Javelin on the BBC red button, and they're holding the medal ceremony for the 400m hurdles. The Czech in the bronze medal position has those ridiculous wellies on.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The British media being generous to an Irish athlete in a way that the Irish media couldn't even begin to comprehend its fair to say.

(she's sure no Laura Trott though)

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    BMX would be a good sport to invest in. Build a few tracks, kids will get their own bikes, and it looks like loads of fun.

Was just thinking the same thing. i had a BMX as my first bike when i was 5 or 6 and i would have liked absolutely nothing more then to fly around a track like that. Jesus its mad we dont compete in that or mountain biking for that matter.

I will say generally to all posters who knock GAA etc, dont blame competition from the more traditional sports because we are suffering at athletics etc. We are suffering because when our government had money they decided that an over supply of civil servants and a collossal expensive replacement for Nelsons Pillar should take priority. Obselete E-Voting technology was bought and stored at a huge cost to us. Our politicians gave themselves and their cronies megabucks money. There is African Elephants, Asian Elephants but in Ireland we have alot of white elephants.

I dont like alot of the people that run sport in this country and believe me i put GAA blazers up there but i would blame the politicians who have failed this country since God knows when and the electorate who voted them in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Congrats to Katie she is the greatest and fully deserved.

In regards to the Russians reaction she was booed by the Irish when she was introduced at the start of the fight. That has no place in an amateurs sport. Even Jimmy Magee said there was no place for it. It's very understandable that she was disappointed to lose out and the fight was very close. She is easily the second best fighter after Katie. I would not see her reaction as disrespect to either Katie or Ireland. Both were joking and smiling after they had received their medals. Cut her some slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Because it was a clean shot before it which is a point, katie then slipped and hit the deck and was straight back up.

The ref could have gave katie a count but it wouldnt have made a difference unless she got 2 more counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyway I'm not getting involved, Irish people are incapable of being rational when it comes to one of our own.

She did win the last round I thought, but she only landed about 3 solid punches. The knock down does not mean anything. Katie certainly landed one or two so it was not a 3 point margine in favour of the Russian.

Your entitled to your opinion. Katie was better fighter in first round imo and pretty much everyone else agrees yet it was draw. I think points evened itself out.

Even on boxing fourm everybody from neutral countries agreed best fighter won.

It was close, but when bell rang I felt she did enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Any more Irish participation tonight?

The three remaining boxers are fighting tomorrow as far as I know.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

What commentary? RTE and BBC would be outrageously pro-Irish. I am just saying I thought she lost that last round by 2-3 points.

And that's fine that you think that but I think that the panel on RTE are pretty honest as to who they think is better in the fights - it isn't just cos she's Irish and the best, it's just cos she's the best! Anyway let's leave it at that :-)

el diablo wrote: »
    Any more Irish participation tonight?

The three remaining boxers are fighting tomorrow as far as I know.

Don't we have a race walker and a canoer going at some time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

At most it would have been one point. Nowhere near enough to affect the outcome of the fight overall. Plus, I had Katie winning the first so it brings it back to the same winning margin. The better fighter won.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

In regards to the Russians reaction she was booed by the Irish when she was introduced at the start of the fight. That has no place in an amateurs sport. Even Jimmy Magee said there was no place for it. It's very understandable that she was disappointed to lose out and the fight was very close. She is easily the second best fighter after Katie. I would not see her reaction as disrespect to either Katie or Ireland. Both were joking and smiling after they had received their medals. Cut her some slack.

To be equally fair, I wasn't happy to hear the booing of the Russian.
    In the spirit of fair play, that should not have happened.
    All there boxing, not just the Russian (but including) have trained for years, in dedication to their sport only many of us would be only capable to do in our dreams.
    The Russian wasn't number 2 in the world for nothing so respect to her for getting to that position.

Bullseye1 wrote: »

Tbh I didn't hear the boos so if they did do that then they shouldn't have - that wasn't on. But equally the Russian girl shouldn't have done what she did either. She could have had a bit more respect for her opponent who won fair and square, esp when her national anthem was being played.

• Advertisement

Ridiculously competitive, isn't it? I honestly don't think the Olympics means as much for the average person though in countries like that, unlike Ireland, because they are so used to collecting medals. Unless the medallist comes from the same part of the country, I guess.

The Olympics are huge in both those countries. But yes there is state interest in their athletes I heard Missy Franklin was conscious of the moral boost she was giving her state of Colorado who are still reeling about the cinema massacre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Don't we have a race walker and a canoer going at some time ?

Ya Rob Heffernan in the walk on Saturday at 9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Marty Morrissey really is an awful, awful broadcaster.

He mentioned in an interview with someone (Barnes possibly) something to the effect of "there might be a recession on back home blah blah". I really don't get this nonsense, as a person whose voice reaches into thousands of homes through the Olympics he really should know better than to mention the recession. It's not just him, it seems the recession has to be medias constant counterfoil to anything positive that happens.

He also congratulated Barnes by saying "well done...Olympic BRONZE medalist". I'd say if he said that to Katie Taylors Da, he would have went through him for a short-cut. No need for it. IMO, by saying something like this, he really does convey this "ah shure we have bronze now, it's grand - don't try to better yourself" type attitude.

I know I'm probably being pedantic here, but fcuk it. He really is the very essence of mediocrity, and even that is being kind. In a wider context, his continuing appearance on RTE reflects very poorly on them.

mike65 wrote: »
    The British media being generous to an Irish athlete in a way that the Irish media couldn't even begin to comprehend its fair to say.

(she's sure no Laura Trott though)

I though the British reaction was bloody great!
    They were ecstatic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I thought the Russian won the last round after the first viewing. After seeing it again and watching closely, I think a draw was the right score. At the very most you could have had the Russian winning that by one, so still a Taylor victory.

Katie should have won the first round 3-2 also

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement