Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Biggins wrote: »
    mike65 wrote: »
    The British media being generous to an Irish athlete in a way that the Irish media couldn't even begin to comprehend its fair to say.

(she's sure no Laura Trott though)

I though the British reaction was bloody great!
    They were ecstatic.

Yeah that's cos they've claimed her as British! :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

el diablo wrote: »
    Any more Irish participation tonight?

The three remaining boxers are fighting tomorrow as far as I know.

Don't we have a race walker and a canoer going at some time ?

Not today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mike65 wrote: »
    The British media being generous to an Irish athlete in a way that the Irish media couldn't even begin to comprehend its fair to say.

It's not fair to say at all, it's not even true for a start.

Where have the Irish media (RTE) been unkind about the British athletes. From any of the coverage I've seen on RTE, the panelists and presenters have been supportive of the British athletes.

If you're basing that notion on the fact that RTE did not show Nicola Adams' bout prior to Katie's, and instead provided a build up and in-studio discussion then you're being very unkind yourself. RTE is our national broadcaster, and Katie was one of our few hopefuls for a medal. BBC would be the exact same if they were in our shoes, and rightly so.

They have however, got 24 live streams of events available to them, and so far more space to give the odd nod to Ireland's (perhaps) sole gold medalist.

I really don't get the attitudes of some people in this thread. The ones that go on and on about how Ireland is hateful of the British... even though they themselves are the ones pushing the whole "them versus us" thing. It's pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Just saw Dressage for the first time - it's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

That must be awful for the russian if she got booed being introduced no one wants to be booed. They should've respected the russian.
    I wonder if more women will join boxing for the next olympics.

Do you reckon Katie will retire or go for another olympics before she retires?

Bill: "I'm nearly stumped as to what to ask you now"....that's because you haven't a f**king clue Bill!! :-P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

leahyl wrote: »
    Yeah that's cos they've claimed her as British! :-P

Well she is a little bit - but she's really ours and we're not giving her away! :D

(If we tried to, Katie would probably box the heads of us!) LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Biggins wrote: »
    I though the British reaction was bloody great!
    They were ecstatic.
    Agreed. I just wish that RTE could be as supportive for a British fighter, but they just can't (won't?) do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Just saw Dressage for the first time - it's the most retarded thing I've ever seen.

wow - by any chance, was that the first time you have ever watched television? or have you ever been outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

keith16 wrote: »
    Marty Morrissey really is an awful, awful broadcaster.

He mentioned in an interview with someone (Barnes possibly) something to the effect of "there might be a recession on back home blah blah". I really don't get this nonsense, as a person whose voice reaches into thousands of homes through the Olympics he really should know better than to mention the recession. It's not just him, it seems the recession has to be medias constant counterfoil to anything positive that happens.

He also congratulated Barnes by saying "well done...Olympic BRONZE medalist". I'd say if he said that to Katie Taylors Da, he would have went through him for a short-cut. No need for it. IMO, by saying something like this, he really does convey this "ah shure we have bronze now, it's grand - don't try to better yourself" type attitude.

I know I'm probably being pedantic here, but fcuk it. He really is the very essence of mediocrity, and even that is being kind. In a wider context, his continuing appearance on RTE reflects very poorly on them.

And the term "a face for radio" was invented for that man.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looking forward to the 800m final at 8pm,hope Rudisha wins

That was a great documentary on RTE Tuesday night about him and his trainer Brother Colm O Connell,Christ they be on about facilities these lads train on a dirt track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

keith16 wrote: »

He also congratulated Barnes by saying "well done...Olympic BRONZE medalist". I'd say if he said that to Katie Taylors Da, he would have went through him for a short-cut. No need for it. IMO, by saying something like this, he really does convey this "ah shure we have bronze now, it's grand - don't try to better yourself" type attitude.

I know I'm probably being pedantic here, but fcuk it. He really is the very essence of mediocrity, and even that is being kind. In a wider context, his continuing appearance on RTE reflects very poorly on them.

Totally agree. He said something similar to Neven also. 'John Joe Nevin, Olympic Bronze medalist, has a nice ring doesnt it?'

He says this to a fighter who had just cruised through his quarter by 5 points and was tipped by experts to have a shot at gold. 'Ara shure isn't bronze enough'....muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You only have to look in here to see how much we "hate" Britain.

There has been nothing but good will from Irish towards the Brits over past 2 weeks.

The British have been great to us also.

Time to stop blaming things that happened 100 years ago and just get on with life.

Anytime I have ever been to England I have always felt welcome. You will always get few muppets. They are everywhere.

We blame British for the stupidest things. We should look closer to home for that.

Anyway today is Katie's day. Time to celebrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

LOL
    Apparently horsey people place this as the top event. I don't get it either.

Just watched the women's court Volleyball, I am a perv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It needs more hip hop influence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

She's only 26, she should have at least one more in her barring injuries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

The lads on RTE are saying it's sour grapes from the Russian, I reckon if they traded places the panel would be saying she was robbed. Remember the "sour grapes" four years ago in Beijing when we didn't win the gold.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    She's only 26, she should have at least one more in her barring injuries.

Yeah I'd say she could do another I heard on the news or someone told me her dad wanted her to retire after the olympics when she wins the gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

HazDanz wrote: »
    It needs more hip hop influence

It needs to be not in the olympics

F*cking horse-shlte

• Advertisement

Bill: "I'm nearly stumped as to what to ask you now"....that's because you haven't a f**king clue Bill!! :-P
    God love him but he really isn't much good, is he?

Think I'll crack open the bottle of White :-P bring on the 3 fights tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Is Bolt in the 200m final for tonight? what time is the final at?

blueser wrote: »
    God love him but he really isn't much good, is he?

Some of hid quotes are just classic though - the best was the one about the girl
    In the badminton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

That must be awful for the russian if she got booed being introduced no one wants to be booed. They should've respected the russian.
    I wonder if more women will join boxing for the next olympics.

She deserved it after the ****e she came out with before the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Is Bolt in the 200m final for tonight? what time is the final at?

8:55 according to the beeb
    I'd tune in a bit earlier than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dunne is up there with Dr.Brian Cox.

Some of hid quotes are just classic though - the best was the one about the girl
    In the badminton!
    He's like Prince Phillip now; you watch him just to see what ''foot in mouth'' moment he'll come out with next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's not fair to say at all, it's not even true for a start.

Where have the Irish media (RTE) been unkind about the British athletes. From any of the coverage I've seen on RTE, the panelists and presenters have been supportive of the British athletes.

If you're basing that notion on the fact that RTE did not show Nicola Adams' bout prior to Katie's, and instead provided a build up and in-studio discussion then you're being very unkind yourself. RTE is our national broadcaster, and Katie was one of our few hopefuls for a medal. BBC would be the exact same if they were in our shoes, and rightly so.

They have however, got 24 live streams of events available to them, and so far more space to give the odd nod to Ireland's (perhaps) sole gold medalist.

I really don't get the attitudes of some people in this thread. The ones that go on and on about how Ireland is hateful of the British... even though they themselves are the ones pushing the whole "them versus us" thing. It's pathetic.

I look forward to RTE showing the British boxers gold medal ceremony complete with full GSTQ later this evening then. ;) (that's the kind of the thing I'm on about)

You'd never guess what had happened just before Taylors fight or that it even had happened (that's not really an "Irish ignoring the British" thing of course - its about RTEs hopeless navel gazing parochialism).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Dont be such a 'neigh sayer!

I thought it was brilliant.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    In the badminton!
    He's like Prince Phillip now; you watch him just to see what ''foot in mouth'' moment he'll come out with next!

Woah that's a tall order now - he has a long way to go before he reaches that standard! :-P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I have no interest in dressage but in fairness how in the name of **** do you go about training a horse to do what they do..

At least show jumping it's a case of run the horse and the fence and they learn to jump over it - oversimplification of how you train a show jumping horse I know but the basic idea is right I'd imagine - start of low and make the jumps higher and higher

dressage - emmmm I can't even think about how you train for it - I have no doubt it's extremely hard to train a horse for dressage and I respect the effort that goes into it but feck that if I'm going to sit and watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

In relation to an earlier question
    Olive loughnane is going in the race walk on Saturday hope she does well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Great day for Team Ireland and Team GB - Two more golds for Team GB and a Gold for Ireland.
    Really looking forward to the Jamaican gold later this evening in the men's 200 Metres.

BOLT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

darced wrote: »

:confused:

O' dear! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Bolt will not be beaten tonight.

It'd be nice to see Blake win it, just to share the two sprint medals around.

Don't think he will though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Congrats to Katie she is the greatest and fully deserved.

In regards to the Russians reaction she was booed by the Irish when she was introduced at the start of the fight. That has no place in an amateurs sport. Even Jimmy Magee said there was no place for it. It's very understandable that she was disappointed to lose out and the fight was very close. She is easily the second best fighter after Katie. I would not see her reaction as disrespect to either Katie or Ireland. Both were joking and smiling after they had received their medals. Cut her some slack.

The booing shouldn't have happened but it was a very small minority, the rest were applauding her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Fire ahead - how are they trained.

If there is anything going on in the training that means the horses aren't treated well my opinion of dressage will be changed fairly fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some of the teams have actually been photographed engaging in Rollkur prior to the dressage events in London. I bet you anything that the IOC won't do shit about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Bolt may win this year, but Blake's time will come

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We are up to 38th in medal table too! 1 GOLD 1 Bronze

Does not include the 3 boxers left of course. If none of boxers win better then bronze or we dont get better then bronze in another event, 38th will be highest we get. Still though its been fantastic couple of days and hopefully more success tomorrow and weekend.

We are up to 38th in medal table too! 1 [SIZE="6"]GOLD[/SIZE] 1 Bronze

Does not include the 3 boxers left of course. If none of boxers win better then bronze or we dont get better then bronze in another event, 38th will be highest we get. Still though its been fantastic couple of days and hopefully more success tomorrow and weekend.

Who knows we might have unexpected success with Rob Heffernan :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Is it 8:45 the 200m final is on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

ANy betting men out there? Get on gold for Jamaica in 200m tonight! A dead cert :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

fullstop wrote: »
    Is it 8:45 the 200m final is on?

2055 I think don't quote me on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The 800mts is a beast of a discipline.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

cgpg5 wrote: »
    2055 I think don't quote me on that

Correct 20:55, im a bundle of nerves already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement