Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

British girl in a gold medal match in taekwondo so I suppose the BBC kinda have to show it...

Olympic (WTF) TKD is fcuking awful to watch though. Hop and kick... Slightly biased though here as an ITF black belt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ooh she's on RTE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Your man's a serious commentator on beeb! Very excited too about Katie winning

Ron McIntosh is his name. One of the finds of the Olympics for me.

Timmy McCarthy still edges him, mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Pete Taylor seems like lovely bloke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

robinph wrote: »
    The 100m and 200m were nothing like the Beijing ones. Everyone else is now a lot closer to him and he beat the 100m time from Beijing. People are getting closer.

Oh yea. Blake will surely get the 200 record soon enough. That's as long as Bolt doesn't get there before him.

The 100 is still a way off. That will stand for longer than the 200 in my uneducated opinion.

It's ridiculous to even be talking about lowering a 100 m run of 9.58 though. Where will it stop?

I remember being back in primary school and looking up all the records in the Guinness BOR and the 100 metres one was held by Maurice Greene then. I thought the 9.79 would never be broken. But sure I know nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Surprised the lads in the studio aren't pissed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Anyone wrote: »
    Twitter congrats from Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and Oscar De la Hoya. Thats some tribute.

G'wan girl you deserve it all.

Ahhh I'm not sure, that lad Higher and a couple of the other doom merchants appeared to think otherwise and I have faith in their opinion!

Poor aul Pete he's shattered! Katies ready to fight again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

British girl in a gold medal match in taekwondo so I suppose the BBC kinda have to show it...

Olympic (WTF) TKD is fcuking awful to watch though. Hop and kick... Slightly biased though here as an ITF black belt :pac:

I seen the run up to this, it a good sport to watch, I believe from the commentators Jade Jones is really up against it,

Come on Jade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Oh yea. Blake will surely get the 200 record soon enough. That's as long as Bolt doesn't get there before him.

The 100 is still a way off. That will stand for longer than the 200 in my uneducated opinion.

It's ridiculous to even be talking about lowering a 100 m run of 9.58 though. Where will it stop?

I remember being back in primary school and looking up all the records in the Guinness BOR and the 100 metres one was held by Maurice Greene then. I thought the 9.79 would never be broken. But sure I know nothing.

I'd say Bolt could break his 100m record in the next year ....if he is arsed that is. Apparently the temperature was a bit too cold for the best runs in London for the 100m - and he still ran a 9.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

What were the comments that the russian said before the boxing match?

16 years since we won Gold!

Long time, but worth the wait.

I'd say Bolt could break his 100m record in the next year ....if he is arsed that is. Apparently the temperature was a bit too cold for the best runs in London for the 100m - and he still ran a 9.6

Yea Gillick said that a few days ago. It'd be incredible if he managed to do it. I really hope he just decides to pull the finger out some day and break it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Aer Lingus should step in and fly her granny over or better still break out the Government jet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Katie just made me cry a little bit ( when talking about her granny )

Bill is some man for his hyperbole.

It's all about the benjamins BABY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

EchoO wrote: »

Look at those empty stands LOCOG 1908 must've been crucified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Taekwando is mad and impossible to spell.

But it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Colmustard wrote: »
    Taekwando is mad and impossible to spell.

But it's good.

Looks like the British girl is going to win gold. On th eother hand maybe its really easier to scroe points in this and the Chinese girl will win 10-2 in th elast minute. Ive no idea.:)

I feel like we can take on the world now lads!! Come on Barnes, Nevin and Conlon!!! Give us 3 more golds!!!

What are the yellow and red cards all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

You little beauty!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I found what the Russian said before the boxing. It's terrible I can't believe she'd actually say that.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/judges-favour-superstar-katie-says-russian-opponent-ochigava-ahead-of-gold-medal-showdown-551422-Aug2012/

And if you read the twitter the guy who says what she said as it was to the russian journalists there's more.
    https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Gold. Well done team GB! WHat a games for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Another gold for GB, Jade Jones.

Yea Gillick said that a few days ago. It'd be incredible if he managed to do it. I really hope he just decides to pull the finger out some day and break it.

Lol.....I'm sure Bolt will do it when he is good and ready and not when we all think he should do it :pac:

Wondering that myself.

Good win for the Welsh girl!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Fantastic from Jade Jones!

3 more gold medals for Great Britain today and all 3 were won by women. The girls of Team GB have been astonishingly successful these games.

Bloody hell what is Jade Jones saying ?:eek:

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    I feel like we can take on the world now lads!! Come on Barnes, Nevin and Conlon!!! Give us 3 more golds!!!

If any of them win tomorrow they will take some beating in the final.

They are all underdogs. I would take 2 wins right now. That would be unreal.

But the way the last few days have went it wont surprise me to see all 3 win.

LEAVE HER ALONE!!!

Let her enjoy the moment!

GB won 9 golds 8 years ago :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Huge forehead on that ninja coach.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think it is penalty for low kicks or stepping out of the square. Get two yellows and the other ones gets a point.

They better hope the guy in the mens tomorrow , muhammad I think, wins it or there'll be some proper giving out about Aaron Cook be left out.

GB won 9 golds 8 years ago :-O

Return for GB in Atlanta 1996 was one gold. Redgrave/Pinsent in the pair was the only one

They better hope the guy in the mens tomorrow , muhammad I think, wins it or theres be some proper giving out about Aaron Cook be left out.

Who are these people of which you speak ?

What a games for GB.

For the hell of it I'll go Wiggins, Farah, Hoy, Peddleton, Brownlee, Murray, Ennis, AInsley, daley, Greene as nominations for SPOTY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

steve9859 wrote: »
    Return for GB in Atlanta 1996 was one gold. Redgrave/Pinsent in the pair was the only one

I reckon that after that they decided there and then to turn it around.

What a games for GB.

For the hell of it I'll go Wiggins, Farah, Hoy, Peddleton, Brownlee, Murray, Ennis, AInsley, daley, Greene as nominations for SPOTY.

Wiggins all day long to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Aaron Cook was the European Champion and world number 1 and they left him out of the Olympics. Huge appeals etc, was pretty big. He trains by himself instead of their high performance program

Aaron Cook (GB ) is the world number 1 in his weight class. There was a big row before the games and they picked someone else ahead of him , using some rubbish about thinking he might not be able to hadnle the pressure or something, ignoring the fact he's world no1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Cook_(taekwondo)

Just came in on a montage to Katie Taylor on BBC there with "the Worlds Greatest" playing :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

What a games for GB.

Jason Kenny will surely be in there ahead of the likes of Greene or Daley seeing as he's won 2 golds!

Could be a boxer or two in there depending on how that turns out for them. Already one gold medal winner today with Adams.

• Advertisement

Wiggins all day long to win it.

You'd imagine so. Jess is quite popular too though. Murray has to win US open to have a chance. If Farah wins 5000m he could be in with a shout for top 3

Aaron Cook (GB ) is the world number 1 in his weight class. There was a big row before the games and they picked someone else ahead of him , using some rubbish about thinking he might not be able to hadnle the pressure or something, ignoring the fact he's world no1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Cook_(taekwondo)

I think he was a bit wild as well. Wouldn't toe the line, and went off training a lot by himself....wouldn't listen to the national coaches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Hope the fire in him is still burning for both the 100 and 200, he'll still only be a few days short of 30 in Rio. No man has ever won 3 consecutive individual Olympic track titles in the same event to be best of my knowledge. Robert Korzeniowski did it in the 50 walk alright.

I'd also like to see him take a crack at 400 which he started out at. Michael Johnson's WR is 13 years old now so it'd be a great incentive and a rivalry with Olympic and World champion Kirani James, who is still only is only 19, and getting better and better could be spectacular.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They have had to put up a better fence outside the shipping containers that they keep Gabby in as so many people are hanging around outside.

Edit: Ennis. :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

If any of them win tomorrow they will take some beating in the final.

They are all underdogs. I would take 2 wins right now. That would be unreal.

But the way the last few days have went it wont surprise me to see all 3 win.

I would take 1 win, they all have seriously difficult opponents and would all have to box to heights they've never hit before to progress. That said with the way the draw is I think they'll all either win Bronze or Gold, I don't see the other side of their draws posing problems if they can beat their next opponent.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement