Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

shrewdness wrote: »
    Jason Kenny will surely be in there ahead of the likes of Greene or Daley seeing as he's won 2 golds!

Could be a boxer or two in there depending on how that turns out for them. Already one gold medal winner today with Adams.

Fair point. Forgot about him. Daley will get nominated alright I'd say. We'll see how he does tomorrow though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

God, i hate outside broadcasts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Downlinz wrote: »
    I would take 1 win, they all have seriously difficult opponents and would all have to box to heights they've never hit before to progress. That said with the way the draw is I think they'll all either win Bronze or Gold, I don't see the other side of their draws posing problems if they can beat their next opponent.

I bet they are all listening to rocky soundtracks tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Aaron Cook (GB ) is the world number 1 in his weight class. There was a big row before the games and they picked someone else ahead of him , using some rubbish about thinking he might not be able to hadnle the pressure or something, ignoring the fact he's world no1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Cook_(taekwondo)

Almost forgot about that, what a joke! The guy who's in ahead of him is only ranked in the 50s or something isn't he! Absolute farce the world no. 1 can't get selected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

cgpg5 wrote: »
    What a games for GB.

For the hell of it I'll go Wiggins, Farah, Hoy, Peddleton, Brownlee, Murray, Ennis, AInsley, daley, Greene as nominations for SPOTY.

Who's Greene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I reckon that after that they decided there and then to turn it around.

If I remember rightly, John Major, PM at the time, immediately afterwards diverted a load of national lottery funding to sport. It was acknowledged by some BBC pundits the other day that Britush success can be traced back to that point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

steve9859 wrote: »
    Return for GB in Atlanta 1996 was one gold. Redgrave/Pinsent in the pair was the only one
    Sea Filly wrote: »
    I reckon that after that they decided there and then to turn it around.

edit I got that wrong, the lottery was created in 1994, not 1996 but my original deleted point stands - if they'd made fewer crap films and spent more on sport they'd have even more medals probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

GB won 9 golds 8 years ago :-O

And only 1 16 years ago when they finished below us*

* but that's not a debate for here or now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shrewdness wrote: »
    Jason Kenny will surely be in there ahead of the likes of Greene or Daley seeing as he's won 2 golds!
    Scored 2 golds and Laura Trott. High-five. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

mike65 wrote: »
    1996 was also the year the UK lottery was created, to think they could have had even more medals if millions in funds hadn't been blown on crappy films no one saw!

Was set up in 1994, but f-all was going to sport. 1996 changed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Jessica Ennis is a stunner

lol

was looking for a clip of bolt chatting up the girl today when i stumbled in this:

http://olympics.tshumakesports.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/usain_bolt_runs_into_flower_girl_after_race_video/10971977

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jessica Ennis. Alright love.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Fair point. Forgot about him. Daley will get nominated alright I'd say. We'll see how he does tomorrow though!

Yeah Daley could well get a nomination, especially after the unfortunate way the synchronised diving went and the public outpouring of sympathy he got afterwards(noone cares about his partner though!), as you say it depends on tomorrow too!

Can't see past Wiggins after his amazing achievements in the last month. Ennis and Farah are the only possible contenders I can see. Ennis because she was the poster girl for the Olympics and won impressively, and Farah possibly if he won the 5000m aswell. But Wiggins surely has it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

1 Gold and still 3 days to go.

Be nice to get 1 more medal before closing ceremony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

USA need 5 gold and 11 medals more overall to beat their medal haul from 1996. Are they in with a shot to get those?

Not bad considering Atlanta was a home games and China have come on so much.

lol

was looking for a clip of bolt chatting up the girl today when i stumbled in this:

http://olympics.tshumakesports.yardbarker.com/blog/olympics/article/usain_bolt_runs_into_flower_girl_after_race_video/10971977

Lucky bitch!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Would you like some cheese with your whine Sofya?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0809/1224321876742.html

Defeated Olympic finalist Sofya Ochigava was less than impressed by the manner of her 10-8 loss to newly-crowned champion Katie Taylor this afternoon and reiterated claims of a conspiracy this evening.

The Russian lightweight, who yesterday claimed the judges would favour Taylor in the second women's final of the day, said today that as far as she was concerned it was the same old story.

"As usual they tried their best to let the Irish win," she told reporters, "the judges as usual corrected the scores in her favour just as they did during the world championships to let Katie win," Ochigava told reporters through a translator. "What can I say now?"

leahyl wrote: »
    Lucky bitch!

lol - I think he got her number and made party plans while carrying her along the track there :P

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »

Every Tom, Dick and Mary knows Katie deserved it.

Sure she won dodgy fight over Katie before too. Short memory. Let her sulk away.

marco_polo wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2012/0809/1224321876742.html

Defeated Olympic finalist Sofya Ochigava was less than impressed by the manner of her 10-8 loss to newly-crowned champion Katie Taylor this afternoon and reiterated claims of a conspiracy this evening.

The Russian lightweight, who yesterday claimed the judges would favour Taylor in the second women's final of the day, said today that as far as she was concerned it was the same old story.

"As usual they tried their best to let the Irish win," she told reporters, "the judges as usual corrected the scores in her favour just as they did during the world championships to let Katie win," Ochigava told reporters through a translator. "What can I say now?"

Jesus is she still harping on? FFS - you LOST - deal with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I would take 1 win, they all have seriously difficult opponents and would all have to box to heights they've never hit before to progress. That said with the way the draw is I think they'll all either win Bronze or Gold, I don't see the other side of their draws posing problems if they can beat their next opponent.

Nevin would probably have to fight Luke Campbell. That'd be a difficult fight normally, never mind home scoring. Conlan would probably end up fighting Aloian, who's one of the better boxers in the amateurs imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I thought that was interesting Laura Trott was born with a collapsed lung and has had numerous medical problems. One is her stomach she gets sick a lot in public and sometimes even after events.

But so what she says and gets on with it and wins 2 Olympic golds and 3 world championships and she's only 20. I'm impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

USA need 5 gold and 11 medals more overall to beat their medal haul from 1996. Are they in with a shot to get those?

Not bad considering Atlanta was a home games and China have come on so much.

Should do, they should win both basketball, both 4 x 400m and are favourites for women's volleyball. Have a few other good shouts too. Good games for them to return to the top of the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

In fairness we were all the same with the corruption theories favouring the Chinese in the last olympics with regards Kenny Egan in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

22.55 - been watching sport since 10am & still watching it. Nearly 13 hours... What in fcuks name am I going to do on Monday?

Although have to say, have watched the most eclectic mix of sports today... Anyone watching the BMXing - it was carnage. I really enjoyed the dressage - not something I would usually watch. Usain Bolt was incredible a Jamaican 1, 2 & 3 - very cool. Also watching swimming, gymnastics, boxing, tae-kwon do. I am going to have some damn strange dreams tonight.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    22.55 - been watching sport since 10am & still watching it. Nearly 13 hours... What in fcuks name am I going to do on Monday?

Although have to say, have watched the most eclectic mix of sports today... Anyone watching the BMXing - it was carnage. I really enjoyed the dressage - not something I would usually watch. Usain Bolt was incredible a Jamaican 1, 2 & 3 - very cool. Also watching swimming, gymnastics, boxing, tae-kwon do. I am going to have some damn strange dreams tonight.
    :(:(:(
    About sums it up for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Colmustard wrote: »
    I thought that was interesting Laura Trott was born with a collapsed lung and has had numerous medical problems. One is her stomach she gets sick a lot in public and sometimes even after events.

But so what she says and gets on with it and wins 2 Olympic golds and 3 world championships and she's only 20. I'm impressed.

They said that they always bring a bucket out for her at the end of every race for her to throw up in. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Do they ever show the world championships on tv?
    I'll miss watching some sports that aren't usually on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Get a job?

• Advertisement

What day is it again?! :-P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Dance from Gabby coming up in a couple of minutes.

:D

robinph wrote: »
    They said that they always bring a bucket out for her at the end of every race for her to throw up in. :eek:

:eek: so its that bad, but yet she gets on with it, she's a very good role model.

Its kind of looking that she may be the darling of these games. The new star of British sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do they ever show the world championships on tv?
    I'll miss watching some sports that aren't usually on.

Always and the Euros (on BBC) there won't be 24 channels though :( :pac:

Channel 4 had them last time though and they made something of a hash of them.

BBC gets them back in 2015

I fancy Nevin to win myself. Just a hunch after watching his opponent few times.

Barnes and Conlan will need A+ game to stand chance. Both have everything to gain now though. They have medal so they be more relaxed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I fancy Nevin to win myself. Just a hunch after watching his opponent few times.

Barnes and Conlan will need A+ game to stand chance. Both have everything to gain now though. They have medal so they be more relaxed.

I'd worry for Conlan that he'll view his job as done for this olympics, he's only a kid and knows he'll be back in 4 years with a stronger chance.
    Nevin and Barnes will want gold, Barnes faces the guy who went 15-0 against him in the last olympics though he's 31 now if we're looking for something to cling on to, odds have Nevin as the best chance of progressing though he's still an underdog.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Get a job?

I do work :confused:, not working Monday though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

mike65 wrote: »
    Always and the Euros (on BBC) there won't be 24 channels though :( :pac:

Channel 4 had them last time though and they made something of a hash of them.

BBC gets them back in 2015

Yeah, but C4 has the 2013 WC. At least Eurosport has decent coverage.

I'd worry for Conlan that he'll view his job as done for this olympics, he's only a kid and knows he'll be back in 4 years with a stronger chance.
    Nevin and Barnes will want gold, Barnes faces the guy who went 15-0 against him in the last olympics though he's 31 now if we're looking for something to cling on to, odds have Nevin as the best chance of progressing though he's still an underdog.

Ya for 1v1 both Conlan and Barnes are considered big underdogs.

1 to win is realistic, 2 would be unreal and 3 would be Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I have only discovered this thread now! this makes me sad as I was off all last week and did nothing but watch the Olympics, eat (if that was an Olympic sport I would be a contender for gold) and play with the new kitten.
    It was great that my workmates and I all gathered into the tiny office to watch Taylor (the name of our new cat) win gold on a portable telly. we were all shouting for her and cheering her on, cringing and cursing together when she got into trouble, and roaring when she connected a good punch. There is just something about the Olympics, isnt there? I love it.
    And the only reason I had booked last week off was because I had applied for the 15 swimming sessions, thinking I was bound to get at least one or two. but no. I didnt get any. so you can just imagine how furious I was when I tuned in Saturday morning for the first session to see all those empty seats. I would have given my right arm to be there! annoyed.

anyway, I have really enjoyed the games so far, even though most of my favourite events have concluded. I might even watch some BMX :D sorry for the long post.

PS seriously thinking of going to Barcelona 2013. to make up for the fact that I didnt get to go to the Olympics. Eurosport always have great swimming coverage. I stuck with them mostly because they show every race, not just the popular guys like RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Im going to get stick for this but anyway...Dressage.. how is it in the Olympics? Its dancing with horses? :confused::confused: I saw it today and taught it was entertainment between rounds.
    Hear the training can be cruel to make the horses do the stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Fair play to ya! i would not have even dignified that smart arse comment with an answer.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Fair play to ya! i would not have even dignified that smart arse comment with an answer.

Thanks racso - I was thinking the comment was nasty & smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

garv123 wrote: »
    Im going to get stick for this but anyway...Dressage.. how is it in the Olympics? Its dancing with horses? :confused::confused: I saw it today and taught it was entertainment between rounds.
    Hear the training can be cruel to make the horses do the stuff too.

Surely it's an excellent example of sport? The controland discipline that the competitors express is remarkable. They have trained and trained hard to excel at what they do and compete. That to me is a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

BBC 1 now. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

The US has overtaken China in the medals table! :eek:

http://www.london2012.com/medals/medal-count/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Dara O'Brien Doing a piece on BBC now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Alessandra wrote: »
    Surely it's an excellent example of sport? The controland discipline that the competitors express is remarkable. They have trained and trained hard to excel at what they do and compete. That to me is a sport.

Give the medal to the horse then? :confused:

I dont see how its an Olympics. The horse is doing all the work it seems.

I'm open to be educated about this.

LOL

That was good

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    LOL

That was good

I'm a few minutes behind - Dara & Ed Byrne are funny

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement