Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Saying the crowd could have influenced the judges in Katies fight now on BBC. No doubt he'll get death threats now on twitter off twats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

garv123 wrote: »
    Give the medal to the horse then? :confused:

I dont see how its an Olympics. The horse is doing all the work it seems.

I'm open to be educated about this.

Where do you stop?

I suppose we should get rid of trap shooting, because the competitors don't do anything but aim and pull a trigger, its the shot that does all the work. You could go on about so many sports - archery, air rifle, and so on.

Moreover, the Olympics have never been solely about physical greatness. Its well known that in the ancient games poetry was a featured competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Lol.....I'm sure Bolt will do it when he is good and ready and not when we all think he should do it :pac:

It'd be nice for him to tell us that he's going to break it as well though. Just in case we miss it ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

bwatson wrote: »
    Where do you stop?

I suppose we should get rid of trap shooting, because the competitors don't do anything but aim and pull a trigger, its the shot that does all the work. You could go on about so many sports - archery, air rifle, and so on.

Moreover, the Olympics have never been solely about physical greatness. Its well known that in the ancient games poetry was a featured competition!

Jack Yeates won a gold medal for Painting. back in 1926 I think.
    so there! LOL

I think there are just too many things just being let in. I didnt realise BMX was in the Games until I saw some american chick smashing her face into the ground. I was expecting to Bill and this is what greeted me when I turned on my telly.
    but seriously I draw the line at golf.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Its well known that in the ancient games poetry was a featured competition!

Nah, that was the modern Olympics. They still have events like sculpture, architecture, town planning and poetry until the 1948 games at least.

Pierre De Coubertain entered himself, under an alias, and won a medal in one of those events.

• Advertisement

Where do you stop?

in trap shooting, you have to aim the gun, pull the trigger at the right time, give the clay the proper lead and follow through..

Its actually on again now on bbc and they are just sitting on the horse not even moving while the horse does the routine. The horse is the one who deserves the medal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Nice feature on bbc about Katie , much respect for John McEnroe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Not a good look Dara. I have to say the BBC have won me over completely with there coverage, would be delighted if Rte did as good a piece as this, will be cheering on their athletes from now on,( their soccer and rugby teams may take longer).
    Dressage on now unfortunately I am not eligible for this as I do not have enough surnames.
    I watched the highlights of the hockey tonight and now I know where the term 'hockeyed' comes from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

And in the modern games too but it's time to move on, dancing horses are not the pinnacle of modern sport in my opinion. I've no doubt it's a difficult task but so are a lot of things.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_competitions_at_the_Olympic_Games

In all fairness...town fcuking planning

patmac wrote: »
    I have to say the BBC have won me over completely with there coverage, would be delighted if Rte did as good a piece as this,

Well said, the BBC have always given us great coverage and all credit to them, they don't have to.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    Nah, that was the modern Olympics. They still have events like sculpture, architecture, town planning and poetry until the 1948 games at least.

Pierre De Coubertain entered himself, under an alias, and won a medal in one of those events.

And if town planning was still an event we wouldn't have a fcuking hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Do we have a guy in the long jump or did I dream it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

leahyl wrote: »
    Do we have a guy in the long jump or did I dream it?

Not this year, unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The alternative ways of ranking countries

http://www.medalspercapita.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Hold on, could be an opportunity for some soft medals, we're good at that arty sh1t, aren't we?
    In all fairness...town fcuking planning
    No, we're fcuked :( better chance at beating Bolt to win 100m gold

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Hold on, could be an opportunity for some soft medals, we're good at that arty sh1t, aren't we?

Fcuk it let's all get our crayons out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

And if town planning was still an event we wouldn't have a fcuking hope.

If town planning was an event we'd be given the no hoper pass for special entry on year. Then after that we would be barred from ever competing again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

mike65 wrote: »

We are in 35th with 2 medals, so with the 5 we should climb up a bit.

Anyone know what is the name of the song that was playing as they were giving the medal to Katie during the awards ceremony? It's wrecking my head. I think it was played during the Opening Ceremony as well.

And before some smart ass says it, it wasn't Amhrán na bhFiann :P.

• Advertisement

If town planning was an event we'd be given the no hoper pass for special entry on year. Then after that we would be barred from ever competing again

We'd fail the drug test without even taking one...lads what the the fcuk are you guys on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭Jellicoe

Katie-Taylor-n3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

We could receive a wildcard entry, like that rower chap. The crowd cheering half-mockingly at our pathetic efforts.

"Bless 'em - they're just happy to be here!" Olympic spirit and all that.

Anyone know what is the name of the song that was playing as they were giving the medal to Katie during the awards ceremony? It's wrecking my head. I think it was played during the Opening Ceremony as well.

is it Chariots of Fire you mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chariots of Fire by Vangellis and from the film of the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

Jellicoe wrote: »
    Katie-Taylor-n3.jpg

Whats the story with the blue tongue i saw another athlete with one earlier too

Cracking tune it has to be said, great call by the organisers. Same for every medal ceremony

is it Chariots of Fire you mean?

That's the one. I didn't recognise it without Mr. Bean's piano solo.

Great tune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I wonder how many times I have Chariots of Fire by Vangellis in the past 10 days

• Advertisement

WumBuster wrote: »

Some smurf is getting lucky..

Probably one of the energy gels they take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Blue Powerade. Coke are the official sponsors, they own powerade and its pretty much on tap for the Athletes over there.

Its also very yummy :cool:

its music from Chariots of Fire I think. Mr Bean was playing it with the London Symphony Orchestra at the opening ceremony. I think. I am open to correction.

so-called "sports" that I think should not be in the Modern Olympic Games
    1 Dressage
    2 Walking
    3 BMX
    4 Trampoline
    5 Table Tennis
    5 (Im going to be controversial here and say) Football.

*ducks for cover*

Katie Taylor has won the Val Baker award

It goes to best Pound for Pound fighter in Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

We are in 35th with 2 medals, so with the 5 we should climb up a bit.

11th

Best Female pound for pound I should have mentioned.

Day gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Gaelic football was a demo sport at the 1904 Olympics (according to Wiki ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonstration_sport#Summer_Olympics

:eek:

Best Female pound for pound I should have mentioned.

Day gets better.

great stuff. But i have to disagree with this notion going around that Katie could possibly go professional and enter one of the mens lightweight divisions and acquit herself. Not a hope. Good as she is, she would never have enough power or upper body strength to compete. She'd be lucky to get one round with a professional male boxer

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Gaelic football was a demo sport at the 1904 Olympics (according to Wiki ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demonstration_sport#Summer_Olympics

:eek:

and Hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

SarahBM wrote: »
    its music from Chariots of Fire I think. Mr Bean was playing it with the London Symphony Orchestra at the opening ceremony. I think. I am open to correction.

1 Dressage
    2 Walking
    3 BMX
    4 Trampoline
    5 Table Tennis

*ducks for cover*

You better duck for cover :mad: BMX is fantastic.

Agree about dressage. Walking is ridiculous because the main rule is that a walker must have 1 foot touching the ground at all times. If you looked at the slow motion or even in full motion, you can see they are constantly off the ground.

Trampoline fits in with Gymnastics. Table tennis is a wonderfully entertaining sport and i believe womens football definitely should be in it but the mens game either has to be in it fully (no limits on ages) or not at all.

It wasn't the Val Barker Cup. That is, quite ridiculously imo, reserved only for the male boxers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

1 Dressage
    2 Walking
    3 BMX
    4 Trampoline
    5 Table Tennis

*ducks for cover*

Walking is a very popular worldwide sport.
    BMX is fantastic
    Table tennis is also a worldwide popular sport we have all played it.
    I agree mens football do not belong in the olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

and Hurling

Loads of interesting sports have been demoed down the years. I'm surprised lacrosse isn't in the Olympics actually.

and Hurling

if only! then we would run away with it! although Kilkenny would probably want to compete as their own country. and would probably succeed too. :p

what about International Rules - just throwing it out there :rolleyes:

It wasn't the Val Barker Cup. That is, quite ridiculously imo, reserved only for the male boxers.

Yes, but its the equivalent. Only saw it trending on Twitter with good few.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

great stuff. But i have to disagree with this notion going around that Katie could possibly go professional and enter one of the mens lightweight divisions and acquit herself. Not a hope. Good as she is, she would never have enough power or upper body strength to compete. She'd be lucky to get one round with a professional male boxer

I don't think anyone has that notion... Do they? I always took it for granted that the pro talk was for the Womens professional circuit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote: »

Surely it should include at least half of the population of the north in our figures?

On the upside for the Indian winners , they only won one medal for even 310m people. They should be able to sell them for a pretty penny.

1 Dressage
    2 Walking
    3 BMX
    4 Trampoline
    5 Table Tennis

*ducks for cover*

We could have a good walker in years to come with Kate veale always making the headlines and having good european underage success.
    Walking is also very tough, they aren't far off the pace of the long distance runners, just a different technique.

Table tennis is huge in Asia, not so much here but there's enough interest and skill involved for it to be there.

The Euros are on the same year as the olympics and its the sport i actually watches the least of after seen my fill watching the euros. also dont get why they put restrictions on it. Its meant to be the countries best competing but they stop the best from doing so.

After watching BMX'n the last 2 days I was fairly impressed with it and it did take a lot of skill and bravery for a lot of it.

they're just my opinions on them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

From drinking Powerade. Horrible stuff.

Didn't get a chance to be on here today, but congrats to Katie. Not only is she a world class boxer, she is very modest and unassuming. Her Dad Pete also seems like a gent.

Great to here that she has no intention of retiring, now if only the Irish Sports Council could throw her a truck load of money to warn off the pro vultures that will inevitably be circling her, we could be all here in 4 years time celebrating a second gold medal in Rio.

:D

karma_ wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has that notion... Do they? I always took it for granted that the pro talk was for the Womens professional circuit.

I dont think so but Ive heard comments from a few commentators and so on today that she punches like a man and would be able to compete with male boxers. Nonsense. She might go a few rounds with a mediocre amateur boxer but thats about it. But professional boxers are the fittest guys on the planet. She would get destroyed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Womens boxing has only been in the Olympics for 5 days.

I dont think it's uncommon for mens and womens versions of awards to have differnt names or named after different people.

Nothing wrong with having the Val BArker award for men and somethign else for women.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement