Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

SarahBM wrote: »
    its music from Chariots of Fire I think. Mr Bean was playing it with the London Symphony Orchestra at the opening ceremony. I think. I am open to correction.

so-called "sports" that I think should not be in the Modern Olympic Games
    1 Dressage
    2 Walking
    3 BMX
    4 Trampoline
    5 Table Tennis
    5 (Im going to be controversial here and say) Football.

*ducks for cover*

I'd agree with 1, 3 & 4.

2. looks ridiculous but it's a tough sport and worthy in my opinion.

5. Table Tennis is hard, it's unbelievably Chinese dominated but that's not their fault, it's up to the rest of the world to catch up. Great sport to play and requires a lot of skill.

Football, I understand the argument for its non inclusion but it's still been extremely popular at these Olympics, 82,000 at Mexico Japan in the semi final for example. It's not the pinnacle of the sport as a lot of people suggest sports should be but there's still so many players who want to compete so why they should be denied Olympic glory because the World Cup is bigger. Lionel Messi took Barcelona to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in 2008 to compete. It clearly meant a lot him. In other sports LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and all the best NBA players want to play for the USA and all the best tennis players go for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭waitingforBB

Oh yea. Blake will surely get the 200 record soon enough. That's as long as Bolt doesn't get there before him.

The 100 is still a way off. That will stand for longer than the 200 in my uneducated opinion.

It's ridiculous to even be talking about lowering a 100 m run of 9.58 though. Where will it stop?

I remember being back in primary school and looking up all the records in the Guinness BOR and the 100 metres one was held by Maurice Greene then. I thought the 9.79 would never be broken. But sure I know nothing.

Its gas, I remember starting to watch athletics and remember Calvin Smith as being the fastest man in the world with 9.93 back in the early 80's. Ben Johnson bested that several times but that has no credibilty in my mind. Carl Lewis was next to beat it at 9.92 behind the drugged Johnson.

Several great runners have brought it down since that, Greene, Montgomery, Burrell. (I dont count anything Gatlin has done). I think Powell has been fantastic and brought it down to various 9.7x times.

But there is no comparisson to Bolt. A true legend. But I think that Blake is a legend in the coming....I think Bolt will bring the 100m down closer to 9.5 this year, but I think Blake will be the 200m record holder in 2 years time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I was talking to a Chinese taximan and he said there are table tennis tables everywhere in China no matter were you go. It a huge sport there and I venture the association is probably is bigger then soccer because of China's and the Asian population.

I use to play it, nothing major, but its a good game,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Colmustard wrote: »
    I was talking to a Chinese taximan and he said there are table tennis tables everywhere in China no matter were you go. It a huge sport there and I venture the association is probably is bigger then soccer because of China's and the Asian population.

I use to play it, nothing major, but its a good game,

Badminton is another huge thing over there, RTE gave Lin Dang a lot of coverage and showed all his singles games. He's chinas 17th biggest celeb and its their national sport.
    Its up to the other countries to play catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

While dressage wouldn't be my cup of tea or most other peoples and I wouldn't watch it for long, like all sports it takes years of effort to bring a horse to Olympic Dressage level, its an incredibly skilful sport and demonstrates the relationship of trust built up over many years between horse and rider as much as any other equestrian activity.

I would agree about the Trampoline, there's skill involved but there are far better gymnastic events in place already.

I also believe football should be excluded, the calendar is crowded enough as it is, although it still means a lot to some countries so will probably remain for a while to come yet.

I am not going to knock dressage because I don't understand it, Apparently it carries the most prestige among horsey people. The same for sailing I don't understand that either.

Or am I going to knock trampoling because I don't like it. I also don't like beach volleyball I think it is boring. But it has proved very popular.

But there are sports which I will be watching from now on because of these games, Judo and Taekwando are great to watch and definitely belong in the Olympics a mate of mine thinks Karate should be there as well.

I would like to see tug of war and bog snorkling, because we are brilliant at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Womens boxing has only been in the Olympics for 5 days.

I dont think it's uncommon for mens and womens versions of awards to have differnt names or named after different people.

Nothing wrong with having the Val BArker award for men and somethign else for women.

No but the trophy goes to the best pound-for-pound boxer in the Olympics. It'd have been nice if the women had a chance to win it as well. Katie and the American girl Shields would certainly be in contention.

Anyway there isn't really anyone to call the female equivalent after because it has only been around for a few years. Maybe they might name it after Katie :P.

garv123 wrote: »
    Badminton is another huge thing over there, RTE gave Lin Dang a lot of coverage and showed all his singles games. He's chinas 17th biggest celeb and its their national sport.
    Its up to the other countries to play catch up.

A bit of trivia about that guy. What sport has attracted the biggest confirmed audience ever.

I would have said the WC final or the sprints but I would be wrong, apparently it was the final of the badminton in the Beijing games. I would say it was the same for these Olympics.

A bit of trivia about that guy. What sport has attracted the biggest confirmed audience ever.

I would have said the WC final or the sprints but I would be wrong, apparently it was the final of the badminton in the Beijing games. I would say it was the same for these Olympics.

If you have an interest in the sport or play it he is great to watch.. He was winning the semi final very handy and he was still diving around the court after the shuttle.

Great final this year too with a big crowd.

Terrible line judges though. The hadn't a clue what they were at.

• Advertisement

garv123 wrote: »
    If you have an interest in the sport or play it he is great to watch.. He was winning the semi final very handy and he was still diving around the court after the shuttle.

Great final this year too with a big crowd.

Terrible line judges though. The hadn't a clue what they were at.

I agree, but it kept clashing with other things, the speed of them its like they are using the force.

I agree, but it kept clashing with other things, the speed of them its like they are using the force.

They are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I am not going to knock dressage because I don't understand it, Apparently it carries the most prestige among horsey people.

You know what - the horsey people can take a very stylish and controlled running jump........

You know what - the horsey people can take a very stylish and controlled running jump........

I guarantee you, if Ireland had a medal prospect everyone in AHs would be an expert and it would be the greatest sport since soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well done katie

but tone down on the jesus references, its gettin a tad weird

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

efb wrote: »

In fairness I think all of Ireland were like that, I know I was holding back the tears

Bernard "Brod Club" Dunne woulda been thrilled with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Speaking as a "horsey person" anyone get on a horse and a hop over a few fences. It takes a proper rider to get up and do even the simplest of dressage movements. It's the single most important aspect of equestrianism. Without a good grounding in it then no showjumper will jump clear because they won't be able to get their striding correct. It's one of the oldest sports in the world and it's primary function was for the military. Within a year of lessons I was able to jump a decent course. It took years before I was able to do a piaffe and if I ever manage to perform a proper pirouette I would be shocked beyond all comprehension. It is the ultimate test of horsemanship.

I wonder if Anna Merveldt had brought an Olympic medal home would be saying that it needs to be removed form the games. After all there were plenty of people on here wanting showjumping removed. Or at least they were until O'Connor got his surprise bronze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'm watching the diving at the moment on Eurosport. They are diving from the top fixed platform. Some of the their heads are so close to the platform - some of their heads have to hit it. Jeez it is so high though I am getting vertigo looking at them on the platform when you can see the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

"Billo" mode on: and so on this historic day for Irish sport, we look back at the wonderful achievement of Ireland's Katie Taylor, what a win, okie doke join us tomorrow for more loive coverage of these olympic games: "Billo" mode off

good night thread, on what has truly been a memorable day for Ireland.. I will never forget today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I'm watching the diving at the moment on Eurosport. They are diving from the top fixed platform. Some of the their heads are so close to the platform - some of their heads have to hit it. Jeez it is so high though I am getting vertigo looking at them on the platform when you can see the water.

They just said on TV that the divers hit the water at 35mph from the 10mtr platform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Gandhi wrote: »
    They just said on TV that the divers hit the water at 35mph from the 10mtr platform.

ah yikes - you would get seriously injured if you didn't hit the water right.

Laughing at the sports news - Brazil & Germany in the beach volleyball final: Brazil have over forty beaches & Germany have one. So you would expect Brazil to win - they didn't. Germany winning beach volleyball.. Something wrong with that sentence :confused::confused:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Its gas, I remember starting to watch athletics and remember Calvin Smith as being the fastest man in the world with 9.93 back in the early 80's. Ben Johnson bested that several times but that has no credibilty in my mind. Carl Lewis was next to beat it at 9.92 behind the drugged Johnson.

Several great runners have brought it down since that, Greene, Montgomery, Burrell. (I dont count anything Gatlin has done). I think Powell has been fantastic and brought it down to various 9.7x times.

But there is no comparisson to Bolt. A true legend. But I think that Blake is a legend in the coming....I think Bolt will bring the 100m down closer to 9.5 this year, but I think Blake will be the 200m record holder in 2 years time..

Like your Calvin Smith memories, I remember that well and I always wanted him to win, but Carl Lewis was so much taller and technically superior, so Calvin's reign was short lived, but I was a big fan at the time. Would be great to see Lewis at his best (in this era) racing Bolt, now there's a thought. I guess Bolt will be past his best by the next olympics, step forward Blake to take the double in Rio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

So, people who know about boxing, what are the chances of today's Irish boxers? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sea Filly wrote: »
    So, people who know about boxing, what are the chances of today's Irish boxers? :)

All up against it, hopefully they can draw inspiration from yesterday's fight!

Anyone else walk to work this morning with a spring in their step? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The BBC had a lovely musical montage to finish their coverage on BBC1 last night, featuring Katie Taylor & Nicola Adams.

It was a version of R Kelly's 'The Worlds Greatest'..anyone know who sung it? It was really great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Sea Filly wrote: »
    All 3 are complete outsiders as the bookmakers will even tell you.. Let's just hope at least one of them can pull a shock and get a win and another Olympic final for us. I really do hope Michael Conlon can do it if I could only choose one though. Just seeing how much it meant to him to win the last day was inspiring.

Fingers crossed for the lads anyway - really hope at least one of them can do the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Really enjoyed Dara Ó Briain's report on Katies fight on the Beeb last night,they had a microphone on him and Ed Byrne in the crowd,talk about roaring :D

Lets hope the lads today can rise to the challenge that they face today,three of them are underdogs but as we have seen in the past been underdogs has suited our boxers and sports teams in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Andrzej is a rocket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

footie game today on Google.ie
    after a few tries got up to 29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

God I'm already bored witless of the media and Taylors win (she's now "Katie" to every last man Jack it seems) I've heard Max Clifford more times than I really would like to as well.

Here's hoping another Gold is won soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

mike65 wrote: »
    God I'm already bored witless of the media and Taylors win (she's now "Katie" to every last man Jack it seems) I've heard Max Clifford more times than I really would like to as well.

Its been like 12 hours......

You could just, not read articles about her too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Gandhi wrote: »

ah yikes - you would get seriously injured if you didn't hit the water right.

Laughing at the sports news - Brazil & Germany in the beach volleyball final: Brazil have over forty beaches & Germany have one. So you would expect Brazil to win - they didn't. Germany winning beach volleyball.. Something wrong with that sentence :confused::confused:;)
    The beach volleyball was played around 8 miles from the nearest beach.

All you need is sand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

mike65 wrote: »

yes, can't wait til the bad news is back in the headlines. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fishooks12 wrote: »

There's always one

There's always one
    Considering there's plenty of people giving out about BBC and their apparent team gb love in in the immediate aftermath of their wins it's only fair it works both ways. If we''re to practice what we preach maybe we should really just drop it and move on lest we be accu sed of double standards next time the British celebrate their own success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

In honour of Katie and the beautiful weather we are getting a half day from work today:D It's like being in primary school again! And I'm not complaining!:pac:

Considering there's plenty of people giving out about BBC and their apparent team gb love in in the immediate aftermath of their wins it's only fair it works both ways. If we''re to practice what we preach we should really just drop it and move on lest we be accu sed of double standards next time the British celebrate their own success

That only applies if you think the BBC are going over the top, I don't think they are

It's their most successful games and they should enjoy it, just like we should enjoy Katie's success and not moan about the coverage less than 12 hours after she won the medal

Plus if you don't like the coverage, don't pay attention to it. TBH I just think some people aren't happy unless they have something to moan about

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Timmy Mac is wasted in RTE,ESPN should sign him up,be some laugh then.

That only applies if you think the BBC are going over the top, I don't think they are

It's their most successful games and they should enjoy it, just like we should enjoy Katie's success and not moan about the coverage less than 12 hours after she won the medal

Plus if you don't like the coverage, don't pay attention to it. TBH I just think some people aren't happy unless they have something to moan about

Yes the bbc are going over the top, whilst they have every right to enjoy their success how many more years are we going to have to listen to them about their great London 2012 Olympics.
    Does 1966 ring a bell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Jezierski has 50/50 chance of making the final. Would be great if he did it

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I'm still hearing about Ireland beating England in some group stage match 20 years ago. At least they won a bloody tournament back then rather than one damn match.

That was a huge upset though.

Every country milks sporting achievements anyway, we just think the British do it more because we absorb a lot of their media

I'd say a lot of the Caribbean islands are sick of the Jamaican media going on about their sprinters

I'm still hearing about Ireland beating England in some group stage match 20 years ago. At least they won a bloody tournament back then rather than one damn match.

That was a huge upset though.
    By the same token then, Taylor was the overwhelming favourite. Not just for the one fight but for the tournament.

I've watched the whole games on BBC btw . I don't go in for the opinion they are going over the top.

Speaking as a "horsey person" anyone get on a horse and a hop over a few fences. It takes a proper rider to get up and do even the simplest of dressage movements. It's the single most important aspect of equestrianism. Without a good grounding in it then no showjumper will jump clear because they won't be able to get their striding correct. It's one of the oldest sports in the world and it's primary function was for the military. Within a year of lessons I was able to jump a decent course. It took years before I was able to do a piaffe and if I ever manage to perform a proper pirouette I would be shocked beyond all comprehension. It is the ultimate test of horsemanship.

I wonder if Anna Merveldt had brought an Olympic medal home would be saying that it needs to be removed form the games. After all there were plenty of people on here wanting showjumping removed. Or at least they were until O'Connor got his surprise bronze.

You know what - I don't care that O'Connor won a medal. I still don't think this rubbish should be in the olympics. Not so much because its phenomenally boring to watch - but mainly because its fantastically elitist - and the olympics is supposed to be about bringing sport to the masses. In those days when there was nothing else being shown there about a week ago, I ended up leaving some equastrian on. I was shocked at how many of the team members were in there 4th or 5th olympics, how many of them had parents or family members as previous medal winners, and just how many of the competitors that the commentators seemd to know on a personal basis. This is all because the pool of people who do the sport is very very small and its wrapped up in families with the money to induldge in it. Its massively elitist and has no place in the olympics if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

If we had won Euro 2012 this year, we would be far more obnoxious about it for the next 100 years than the English have been about 1966.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Timmy McCarthy what a hero!!!

"THREEEE POINTS!!! ARE YOU JOKING ME?" :D

Timmy Mac is wasted in RTE,ESPN should sign him up,be some laugh then.

lol....'May the force be with you!'

• Advertisement

That's because the rivalry back then was still fierce
    1966 is 46 years ago, time to get over it
    The same will happen with this olympics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

"OH yeahhhh... You're the woman" :D

By the same token then, Taylor was the overwhelming favourite. Not just for the one fight but for the tournament.

So by virtue of that we shouldn't celebrate it? I don't see where you're coming from

Ireland's win over England was highly regarded because it was a big upset, against our neighbors who invented the game

Katie's win will be highly regarded because she is Ireland's second ever boxing gold, Ireland's only gold in this olympics and she's become a figurehead of woman's boxing

So, Ireland are allowed to revel over winning one match against a rival. But England aren't allowed to revel in winning a world cup over a country they had fought 2 world wars against? Riiigghhtt.

Who said they weren't allowed, there's a difference between celebrating a victory and still celebrating it 46 years later, English media at its worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I dont agree with BBC's coverage being as good as people have said. For example, they miss at least 60-70% of the field events because they interview every single British track athlete. So I have watched track and field mostly on RTE.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement