Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Who said they weren't allowed, there's a difference between celebrating a victory and still celebrating it 46 years later, English media at its worst.

Again, you can't quantify how media in a different country still react to a past event.

If we won the world cup in 66 do you honestly think we wouldn't still go on about it?

Anyone wrote: »
    I dont agree with BBC's coverage being as good as people have said. For example, they miss at least 60-70% of the field events because they interview every single British track athlete. So I have watched track and field mostly on RTE.

I think the BBC coverage is very mixed.

Gary Linekar can't interview to save his life yet he gets all the big ones, and while I like John MacEnroe he has no business talking about woman's boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Who said they weren't allowed, there's a difference between celebrating a victory and still celebrating it 46 years later, English media at its worst.

And certain Irish still going on about "800 years" and all that isn't much better.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I've always wondered, where does this whole thing come from? I haven't seen anybody celebrating 1966 recently in English media? People always bring it up, but I just dont see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

You know what - I don't care that O'Connor won a medal. I still don't think this rubbish should be in the olympics. Not so much because its phenomenally boring to watch - but mainly because its fantastically elitist - and the olympics is supposed to be about bringing sport to the masses. In those days when there was nothing else being shown there about a week ago, I ended up leaving some equastrian on. I was shocked at how many of the team members were in there 4th or 5th olympics, how many of them had parents or family members as previous medal winners, and just how many of the competitors that the commentators seemd to know on a personal basis. This is all because the pool of people who do the sport is very very small and its wrapped up in families with the money to induldge in it. Its massively elitist and has no place in the olympics if you ask me.

at least he had to beat a decent field to win his.
    with the seedings system Katie had it handed to her on a silver platter, only needing to win one fight to win a medal is stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Again, you can't quantify how media in a different country still react to a past event.

If we won the world cup in 66 do you honestly think we wouldn't still go on about it?

We'll probably never know that:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If you watch English Channels and read English Newspaper your bound to come across 1966 the odd time.

Listen it was their greatest day in their National Sport. What do people expect!?

Tox56 wrote: »
    And certain Irish still going on about "800 years" and all that isn't much better.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but I've always wondered, where does this whole thing come from? I haven't seen anybody celebrating 1966 recently in English media? People always bring it up, but I just dont see it.

The last world cup, the euros, every time Gary lineKar gets his face on the box, 800 years? I thoughtq we were talking about sport.

with the seedings system Katie had it handed to her on a silver platter, only needing to win one fight to win a medal is stupid.

Jesus talk about lack of knowledge. You do realise what she had to do just to be in Olympics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So by virtue of that we shouldn't celebrate it? I don't see where you're coming from

I dont care about anyone celebrating any of their success. But there seems to be an opinion among a lot of Iriah people that we can go crazy when we win as the underdogs and go crazy when we win as favourites, but if the British do either they get abused.

If you watch English Channels and read English Newspaper your bound to come across 1966 the odd time.

Listen it was their greatest day in their National Sport. What do people expect!?

Exactly, and people like to reminisce now and again, so who are the media to deny them it?

I for one like being reminded about the Grand Slam win a few years ago (my favorite Irish sporting moment)

• Advertisement

They've had greater achievements more recently in rugby, they won a world cup in 66 which was probably one of the poorest ever world cups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I dont care about anyone celebrating any of their success. But there seems to be an opinion among a lot of Iriah people that we can go crazy when we win as the underdogs and go crazy when we win as favourites, but if the British do either they get abused.

Them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us, them versus us

Would yiz give it a fooking rest already?

They've had greater achievements more recently in rugby, they won a world cup in 66 which was probably one of the poorest ever world cups

Which is mentioned a lot of the time too. Johnny Wilkinson is practically a saint for it, and he was never as good as people spoke of him after that game

Wait a minute, so getting a medal in a team sport only counts as 1 altogether in the medals table?

So? Fair enough we never know should that 3rd Goal had cross the line, but any team gets good break too.

Are you going to take away West Germanys 1990 WC cause it was poor WC also? 2010 was not much better.

To English people who are in their Mid 50's ad above(they be able remember it) 1966 will more likely be a day they never forget.

Just like David O Leary Penalty for us, Or Curruth in Barcelona, or Grand Slam in 2009 or Katie yesterday.

I dont agree with BBC's coverage being as good as people have said. For example, they miss at least 60-70% of the field events because they interview every single British track athlete. So I have watched track and field mostly on RTE.

They didnt miss any of the events. The use BBC 1/2 in a similar way to RTE as a general olympics show chopping between events, the studio etc. The red button/one of 24 olympics channels show uniterrupted coverage of the events. They have every event live.

RTE dont have the 2nd option and just spend half the day in the studio. They talked about the fight for ages after it yesterday , ignoring all other events Then last night I flicked across for a second to see what they were at and they had the same pundits back in the studio for another lenghty discussion about boxing.Yes its great she won, but there are people that actually want to see the events. I cant imagine beign stuck with only RTE. The time for long discussions about the state of Irish boxing etc is in a nightime show after the other event sare over. The peopel that are genuinly interested in boxing will tune in and the peopel that want to see the whole games get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

We still hear of the Munster All Blacks match all those years ago. We are just as bad or as good as them.

Wait a minute, so getting a medal in a team sport only counts as 1 altogether in the medals table?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Canoe semis at 11:30

• Advertisement

So? Fair enough we never know should that 3rd Goal had cross the line, but any team gets good break too.

Are you going to take away West Germanys 1990 WC cause it was poor WC also? 2010 was not much better.

To English people who are in their Mid 50's ad above(they be able remember it) 1966 will more likely be a day they never forget.

Just like David O Leary Penalty for us, Or Curruth in Barcelona, or Grand Slam in 2009 or Katie yesterday.

I don't think even the Germans go on about the 1990 WC still
    2010's world cup was poor but the team that one it is not one of the all time greats
    As for the Irish achievements I don't hear Irish pundits still go on about them in the way the English do about 66

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

We still hear of the Munster All Blacks match all those years ago. We are just as bad or as good as them.

Thomond Park Halloween 1978 I was there*

(*I wasn't there but I thought I might as well say I was as everyone else my age says they were)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

They didnt miss any of the events. The use BBC 1/2 in a similar way to RTE as a general olympics show chopping between events, the studio etc. The red button/one of 24 olympics channels show uniterrupted coverage of the events. They have every event live.

And if you don't have the Red Button? Look its just a personal preference, I have watched track and field mostly on RTE. I don't want to see an interview with the British Athlete who came 6th in their heat and wants to say how good the crowd is, lol....especially when there are other events I can watch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Yes.

Which is right as its only one event. The thing is though, when peopel start printing tables that are medals per athlete etcit uses the medals table to get the figures. ie GB have 52 medals as of last night iirc so that gets divided by the number of athletes they have, when in reality they have won more than 52 actual medals.

The USA ladies won the football last night so they get 18 golds. Thats rightly 1 on the medals table but should be 18 if its being shown as per captia or as a ratio of medals to athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

bills and lads mentioned italia 90, usa 94 yesterday the same way the bbc mentions the WC 1966 , each as bad as the other. its bit embarrassing we give out about the brits when they generally given our athletes, boxers like katie a lot of credit etc. when they do well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And if you don't have the Red Button? Look its just a personal preference, I have watched track and field mostly on RTE. I don't want to see an interview with the British Athlete who came 6th in their heat and wants to say how good the crowd is, lol....especially when there are other events I can watch!

Digital switchover in the UK presumably means everyone has the red button?

If your in the UK you do. if you have a decent provider here like sky you do and if you have a freesat set up you get all the channels laid out nicely in the epg seperately for you. This is the way things like the Olympics should be broadcasr to people. Not with a few lads in a studio allowing you to see the events they want you to see when they want you to see them. The BBC broadcast to the UK. The fact that we get BBC is of no concern to them.

How can there be other events you can watch when RTE are spending half the day talking about boxing. From flickign back and forward just to see the other day, they werent even showing Cian O'Connors final live, they were talkign about the boxing.

BBC interviewed Taylor right out of the ring after her semi btw , before RTE did and still managed to show the 2nd semi live.

I flicked over too RTE a minute or two before the 110m hurdles final and they were in the studio talking about somethign then went to a break, did they even show it live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

mike65 wrote: »
    God I'm already bored witless of the media and Taylors win (she's now "Katie" to every last man Jack it seems) I've heard Max Clifford more times than I really would like to as well.

Here's hoping another Gold is won soon!

Me too. Not sick of Katie, mind, just the meeja. The less there is of Cliff Maxford, the better!

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Me too. Not sick of Katie, mind, just the meeja. The less there is of Cliff Maxford, the better!

What exactly are the media doing wrong? It's less than a day after an historic event and it's rightly still being covered

Nothing like a but of media bashing eh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

What exactly are the media doing wrong? It's less than a day after an historic event and it's rightly still being covered

exactly it still will be in the coming days, you will have her homecoming next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Irish relay glory awaits this evening btw - the British don't even have a 400m female relay team!

Women's 4x400m relay round 1 7.21 pm

You know what - I don't care that O'Connor won a medal.

Me neither. When he won gold 8 years ago, I could not have been less excited. So imagine how indifferent I was to his bronze!

I actually hadnt realised it was you that said you'd probably puke with the team GB love in on the thread in the TV forum.

Semi Final coming up now

I actually hadnt realised it was you that said you'd probably puke with the team GB love in on the thread in the TV forum.

point being? I don't blame them for doing it, just not my cup of tea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Andrzej Jezierski up in the canoe sprint semi finals now. From Poland, but competing for Ireland. An enigmatic figure from what I hear. Not much is known about him.

She earned being seeded though. So it wasn't "handed to her".

point being? I don't blame them for doing it, just not my cup of tea

Point being that when i was talking about it in this thread I didnt realise it was you I was referring too is all.

It does raise the question though, is the RTE show not puke inducing for its love in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

42.14 to beat...probably..

• Advertisement

Where the Angolan lad off to?

Ah sugar:(

B final means no medal doesnt it? like the rowing its to determine finishing positions?

Very disappointing run considering he hit 41 in the heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

4th place for Ireland in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Yes the bbc are going over the top, whilst they have every right to enjoy their success how many more years are we going to have to listen to them about their great London 2012 Olympics.
    Does 1966 ring a bell?
    You don't like it? Don't watch it then; it's not that difficult a concept to grasp. As for ''how many more years''; you're on shakey ground there. Ray Houghton (twice), Sonia, Thomond Park 1978 and indeed Munster rugby these past few years will be regularly revisited) Michelle Smith (if she hadn't been rumbled) etc etc. We're in no position to lecture other countries re. harping on about past glories.

If he was in other heat he would have made the final. bugger!

I was expecting to see lads with massive hulking upper bodies and tiny legs when I turned this on first.:)

You don't find it OTT, I do. Different strokes. What's your issue here?

• Advertisement

looking at the ladies in the canoes, this seems like an event made for a crossover athlete from the paralympics, ala Pistorues, no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement