Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I really have to wonder what the point of B finals are. I'm sure the athletes would rather go home than compete in an almost entirely meaningless contest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Canoeing, Teakwondo, sailing and Hocky. Its a struggle finding something I want to actually watch at this stage of the games in th eearly session :(

Mens open water swimming. "here we come in to the feeding station" to the sight of a top down view of swimmer being offered treats on a long stick. Its like looking at a fish farm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Can't blame the Brits/BBC for being overjoyed by their performances in these games, they've played a blinder so fair play!

And any major sporting event benefits from the hosts doing well, creates more of a buzz!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Canoeing, Teakwondo, sailing and Hocky. Its a struggle finding something I want to actually watch at this stage of the games in th eearly session :(

Mens open water swimming. "here we come in to the feeding station" to the sight of a top down view of swimmer being offered treats on a long stick. Its like looking at a fish farm.

RTE had BMX'n on there. Always worth a watch in hope of someone head butting the jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Anyone wrote: »
    I dont agree with BBC's coverage being as good as people have said. For example, they miss at least 60-70% of the field events because they interview every single British track athlete. So I have watched track and field mostly on RTE.

That is what the red button is for...they don't do interviews on that...just show the sport

garv123 wrote: »
    RTE had BMX'n on there. Always worth a watch in hope of someone head butting the jumps.

Thats yesterdays though isnt it? Watched it when it was on.

No live BMX till 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

steve9859 wrote: »
    That is what the red button is for...they don't do interviews on that...just show the sport

And changing to RTE2 works as well,and its quicker, and I dont have to cycle through the menu, whats the big deal? Lol. I've enjoyed RTE's coverage of the Track and Field better than BBC's.

And if you don't have the Red Button? Look its just a personal preference, I have watched track and field mostly on RTE. I don't want to see an interview with the British Athlete who came 6th in their heat and wants to say how good the crowd is, lol....especially when there are other events I can watch!

Everyone has the red button.....unless you are watching BBC from outside the UK of course...

And changing to RTE2 works as well,and its quicker, and I dont have to cycle through the menu, whats the big deal? Lol. I've enjoyed RTE's coverage of the Track and Field better than BBC's.

RTE dont show half the events is the point.
    Everyone has the red button.....unless you are watching BBC from outside the UK of course...

even at that its only the people on UPC that dont have it. well apart for the peopel left on analogue, but that will be gone in October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Thats yesterdays though isnt it? Watched it when it was on.

No live BMX till 3.

yeah it was the first heats.
    Missed it myself so twas a handy catch up.
    Bit of a mad sport.

garv123 wrote: »
    yeah it was the first heats.
    Missed it myself so twas a handy catch up.
    Bit of a mad sport.

One of the heats had a massive crash and one bloke just ended up cruising around on his own while the othe r7 tried to untangle themsleves and get back going.:)

All the poles being waved in front of the swimmers with bottles and the Japanese have a clear plastic cup that looked like it got dunked a couple of times :)

RTE dont show half the events is the point.

even at that its only the people on UPC that dont have it. well apart for the peopel left on analogue, but that will be gone in October.

And BBC miss most of the field events, that's been MY experience. So I swap to watch track and field on RTE.

For what its worth, I have SKY, I have the red button, I've used it for other events. For track and field, I prefer RTE.

Well, lets see, I am posting on an Irish website and talking about watching track and field RTE. Would you assume I am watching in the UK?

And BBC miss most of the field events, that's been MY experience. .

But YOUR experience is not reality. They have every event. When they clash they have 2 or 3 seperate channels dedicated to single events. Last night the had the standard olympics show covering all the events with Colin Jackson, Michael Johnson etc on BBC1 then on the red button there was one channel showing the track stuff, one for the triple jump i think and one for one of the womens events. (cant remember which , I didnt change away from the track stuff.

Was there any field events outside of the mens Decathlon Javelin yesterday (which the BBC showed)?

All the while, from what I could see, RTE were still talkign about boxing.

Thats not even taking in to account the bloody ads. My god the ****ing ads.

But YOUR experience is not reality. They have every event. When they clash they have 2 or 3 seperate channels dedicated to single events. Last night the had the standard olympics show covering all the events with Colin Jackson, Michael Johnson etc on BBC1 then on the red button there was one channel showing the track stuff, one for the triple jump i think and one for one of the womens events. (cant remember which , I didnt change away from the track stuff.

Was there any field events outside of the mens Decathlon Javelin yesterday (which the BBC showed)?

All the while, from what I could see, RTE were still talkign about boxing.

Right, BBC missed the qualifying for most of the field events, because as soon as a race was done, they interviewed any British athlete they could find. My options are...red button,navigate to sport I want and watch(which takes about 30secs-1min) or hit 102(instant), so I missed very little. When RTE take breaks, I pop to BBC.

The red button has been good for the other events, boxing,cycling,archery. That's when I have used it

Last night they were talking about boxing, wonder why, did something major happen in the boxing? I enjoyed most of that by the way, I could only watch Katie's fight in work, and had no sound, so it was good to hear the analysis of it all. Plus I have enjoyed RTE's boxing analysts.

Edit-You seem to only be talking about last night, I am talking about the track and field coverage since last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

I am slowly going mad.

So far I've missed the stuff I want to see and end up seeing the events I don't.

AAAHHHHHHHHH......Madness of the highest order.

I did see Katie :), although last night I did call her Talie Kaytor.

It's called drink.:)

Right, BBC missed the qualifying for most of the field events, because as soon as a race was done, they interviewed any British athlete they could find. My options are...red button,navigate to sport I want and watch(which takes about 30secs-1min) or hit 102(instant), so I missed very little. When RTE take breaks, I pop to BBC.

They do the interviews on the main BBC 1/2 general show. If you stick on the red button on the athletics you get total uninterrupted coverage of the events without having to change anything. Some of the channels dont even do commentary, so if you go to the event specific channel syou can watch your event without anything other than crowd and athlete noise.:)

Edit-You seem to only be talking about last night, I am talking about the track and field coverage since last Friday.

When track and field is on I've watched nothing else. Havent missd a heat.
    On monday I think it was RTE had a lenghty boxing discussion while T&F events were on and the boxers werent even fighting that day.

Last night they were talking about boxing, wonder why, did something major happen in the boxing? I enjoyed most of that by the way, I could only watch Katie's fight in work, and had no sound, so it was good to hear the analysis of it all. Plus I have enjoyed RTE's boxing analysts.

You cant have sn the athletics that was on at the same time then.

They were waffling on about general boxing stuff. Nothing that couldnt wait till after the other stuff was over and it was all exact same stuff they talked about earlier. I was in my ncles for the boxingheput on RTE after the fight. Bernard Dunne was on and when I flicked to RTE last night he was back on saying the exactsame stuff.
    Hardly breaking news that needed airing while other stuff was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Eh? What are you watching BBC on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

The Fighting Irish and their fast horses. Dont you just love national stereotypes.
    If only there was a drinking event.

blueser wrote: »
    Eh? What are you watching BBC on?

Everyone in the UK has the red button AFAIK. A sizeable proportion of people in Ireland will have either Sky or Freesat I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Paddy Barnes up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is the boxing on BBC at 1.30? We are on an English server in work so can't watch the RTE version unless I use the eurovisionsports alternative but that has no commentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No fecking wind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Everyone in the UK has the red button AFAIK. A sizeable proportion of people in Ireland will have either Sky or Freesat I'd imagine.
    That's why I asked him (her?). Unless they're watching via analogue, or via UPC. Just about everybody else has the red button. Fantastic service. Pity RTE couldn't offer something similar (maybe via some sort of arrangement with the Beeb?).

kfallon wrote: »
    Is the boxing on BBC at 1.30? We are on an English server in work so can't watch the RTE version unless I use the eurovisionsports alternative but that has no commentary!

Red button feed starts in 5 mins. Presumably online is the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Barnes up first, seems to have his work cut out for him. Nevin after that. Conlan fights tonight. Hopefully we'll get 1 of them into a final.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Strangly enough I've been watching this 10km swim the last hour or so. It's oddly enthraling.

The 2 commentators have been slagging each other over their strokes (ones a breaststoke guy the other freestyle. The freestyle guy was saying the breaststroke isnt a real stroke :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can you watch it here? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live-video

It's blocked for Irish IPs so I've no idea if you can or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Here we go again c'mon Paddy!
    What are we going to do next week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

C'mon Paddy - do us proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hon Paddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Are bbc not showing it? Can't find live stream on website.

• Advertisement

Barnes is up against it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

High scoring round. Chinese boxer leads 8-5

Well, lets see, I am posting on an Irish website and talking about watching track and field RTE. Would you assume I am watching in the UK?

My point was too subtle obviously....it was more that you can't really complain about BBC when you're watching it from outside the UK. Like me watching rte from here in London instead of bbc and moaning that it has rubbish coverage! The red button solves all the disruptive interviews and 'Go Team GB' studio chat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He's Fcked :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I dunno, I mean he's not the one running away, or is the other guy trying to tire him out?

• Advertisement

Final round. Only 3 points in it.. so not out of it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Cant say he's not trying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Incredible round by Barnes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Fair fúcks to him, he gave it his best in the last round.

Very close - will it be enough... Barnes dis himself proud though regardless of the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Come on BARNES!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I thought he was great.

**** IT :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ah ****e - wasnt enough unfortunately. Still fought some fight!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

15-0 in Beijing.
    15-15 in London.
    Fair f*cks to him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement