Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

The Olympics is the biggest event in the world and it brings in a lot of revenue as well.

It's a once in a lifetime event so the cost should be a secondary concern.

Total waste of taxpayers money & very few jobs have gone to locals according to some news reports, tourist numbers are actually down by a third due to greedy hotels putting up prices. :rolleyes: Many charities had servere cuts in government grants & lottery money to pay for the games :(

Every Olympic city since Montreal 76 has been riddled with massive long term debts. Especially Athens :D

There will be transport chaos across London & many will stay indoors due to security concerns, still at least Seb Coe & the rest of the celebs / leeches are quids in

Bollox to the Olympics :D It should have been self financing IMO & not a burden on the state :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Total waste of taxpayers money & very few jobs have gone to locals according to some news reports, tourist numbers are actually down by a third due to greedy hotels putting up prices. :rolleyes: Many charities had servere cuts in government grants & lottery money to pay for the games :(

Every Olympic city since Montreal 76 has been riddled with massive long term debts. Especially Athens :D

There will be transport chaos across London & many will stay indoors due to security concerns, still at least Seb Coe & the rest of the celebs / leeches are quids in

Bollox to the Olympics :D It should have been self financing IMO & not a burden on the state :mad:

so putting all this behinds you what event will you be going to see :D:D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gymnastics (the legal ones of course)

Ha, coming from someone who will watch it for obsession reasons and absolutely not perving...China's team are all legal this year, USA have 3 16 and under, same with Romania. Russia have 2 16, 1 17. Just so you know. I don't get why it's worth perving over..the vast majority have no figures at all?
    I saw a few pictures of Nadia Comeneci at 50 the other day. Let's say she grew into hers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think the Olympic mascots, Wenlock & Mandeville, epitomise every thing wrong with what's going on in London. The eyes are cameras, watching everyone at all times:

If you dare, you can buy a figurine of one of them in a police uniform on Amazon : guaranteed to give your kids nightmares about jackboots kicking in their bedroom door at 3am. Sample Amazon review:
    Please be aware, that there is simply no need to 'buy' this product. It will simply appear in a prominent place in your home, and the appropriate remuneration will be taken. (Credit card, bank account, flesh & blood or soul)

It cannot be destroyed, it cannot be removed. You will obey Wenlock, as he speaks for the glory that is the OLYMPICS(TM) and will not be ignored.

The camera embedded in the unrelenting, unblinking eye is of a high quality, and transmits a stream of your actions and innermost thoughts so that any potential crimes against the OLYMPICS(TM) will be stopped before you've even committed them.

On the plus side, the crystal case seems to be the source of all his unnameable power, so won't bump up your electricity bills, and doesn't require dusting.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

No need to get personal.

Apologies.
    I've heard plenty of people in London say the same thing, but there are also thousands of people who have been employed as well

I just think they'd be better employed doing other things like building infrastructure that regular British people will actually get to use.
    The Olympics is the biggest event in the world and it brings in a lot of revenue as well.

There's not a hope in hell the £16Bn will be recouped.
    It's a once in a lifetime event so the cost should be a secondary concern.

I don't think many British taxpayers would agree with you that costs should be a secondary concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Confab wrote: »
    Load of bollocks. 'Oooh, I can run faster than anyone else!' Great, but how useful is that, exactly?

Well, my ancestors didn't get eaten by lions. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

bnt wrote: »
    I think the Olympic mascots, Wenlock & Mandeville, epitomise every thing wrong with what's going on in London. The eyes are cameras, watching everyone at all times:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I saw a few pictures of Nadia Comeneci at 50 the other day. Let's say she grew into hers.

Ah once they retire they're normal. And Nadia retired 32 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't agree with a few things about the games in how they are set up and run but I really do enjoy watching the gymnastics/athletics and everything else.
    All I read about the event is fuss and more fuss. I don't get the impression that anyone in London is impressed with the goings on.
    I can't help but feel that some of the resentment to the games that is being voiced has at least a little to do with Camerons government themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Should we ban Christmas as well?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Confab wrote: »
    Load of bollocks. 'Oooh, I can run faster than anyone else!' Great, but how useful is that, exactly?
    It's very useful if your stinking rich because of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

She'd definitely still get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Problems already, drivers getting lost, and issues with the Olympic Village.

Anyone who has stayed in a Holiday Inn, who are oddly one of the Organisers at the the Village, might share those problems.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

She'd definitely still get it.

She is now a sexual gymnast!!!

Can we 'Sticky' this thread for the duration of the Olympics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

kfallon wrote: »
    She is now a sexual gymnast!!!

Can we 'Sticky' this thread for the duration of the Olympics?

Big strong gymnastic fanny on her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Personally, I'll be drooling over watching Darya Klishina of Russia in the long jump.

darya-klishina-russia-track-and-field.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Uh Oh. The first of the Olympic athletes started to arrive yesterday but there are various cracks already starting to show in the logistics for the 2012 Games. Things like :

* The first athletes to arrive get lost for 4 hours because the bus driver cannot use GPS (or the Olympic Village has yet to be updated on the major GPS systems) - Linky

* 3,500 British Troops will have to be called in to provide security as Security Company G4S failed to recruit enough staff yet will pull 54 million pounds from the deal - Linky

* The only food inside the Olympic Village will be Mc Donalds despite protests from Doctors. The worlds largest Mc Donalds has been built there. No other vendor is allowed sell chips (except one or two traditional fish and chip stalls) - Linky

I love the Olympics and am looking forward to watching some great events in the comfort of my own pub home. Not wishing bad on the event but, it'll be interesting though to see what strange things will go wrong in an event as big as this. Anyone else think disaster is looming? I could just be a bad news junkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

The Olympics to me: more televised sporting events to ignore.

chin_grin wrote: »
    The Olympics to me: more televised sporting events to ignore.

What do you watch on TV instead of sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Carbon Bootprint

Well, they've mounted surface-to-air missiles on buildings surrounding the Olympic complex, so what could possibly go wrong? :eek:

• Advertisement

For two weeks I'll be a fan of swimming, I hope Gary O'Toole is on the RTE panel, always enjoy listening to him when they are paddling in the pool for Gold! :D

What do you watch on TV instead of sport?

....that's a very good question! Usually xbox....pew pew pew pew pew! :pac:

chin_grin wrote: »
    ....that's a very good question! Usually xbox....pew pew pew pew pew! :pac:

*sniggers* Playing virtual cowboys & indians with some 12 year old Chinese kid :pac:

Only kiddin' :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Plazaman wrote: »
    Uh Oh. The first of the Olympic athletes started to arrive yesterday but there are various cracks already starting to show in the logistics for the 2012 Games. Things like :

* The first athletes to arrive get lost for 4 hours because the bus driver cannot use GPS (or the Olympic Village has yet to be updated on the major GPS systems) - Linky

* 3,500 British Troops will have to be called in to provide security as Security Company G4S failed to recruit enough staff yet will pull 54 million pounds from the deal - Linky

* The only food inside the Olympic Village will be Mc Donalds despite protests from Doctors. The worlds largest Mc Donalds has been built there. No other vendor is allowed sell chips (except one or two traditional fish and chip stalls) - Linky

I love the Olympics and am looking forward to watching some great events in the comfort of my own pub home. Not wishing bad on the event but, it'll be interesting though to see what strange things will go wrong in an event as big as this. Anyone else think disaster is looming? I could just be a bad news junkie.

1. The problem with the first one is not the fault of the Olympics or the sports people/assistants/drivers - its the fault of the GPS service providers such as Germin not updating their data.

2. G4S will be losing 50m from the 284m contract so that others brought in, can cope with their exposed inadequacies. LINK

3. Further concessions have been made to other food sellers in the village. McDonalds no longer have the sole right to sell chips. LINK

*sniggers* Playing virtual cowboys & indians with some 12 year old Chinese kid :pac:

Only kiddin' :P

No, I can't play online....I suck.....seriously....really bad....terrible even....

Right, which Mod keeps changing my thread title.

:mad:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

irish-stew wrote: »

So here we go, you excited yet?

*9 days till the Football competition

PS. COME ON KATIE TAYLOR!!

Honestly I get the gitters at every Olympics, I can not wait and have taken leave from work to watch the Judo.

'come on Katie Taylor and Lisa Kearney.

'Jeeze I won't sleep tonight now!.

Honestly I get the gitters at every Olympics, I can not wait and have taken leave from work to watch the Judo.

'come on Katie Taylor and Lisa Kearney.

'Jeeze I won't sleep tonight now!.

Just been looking at some of the timetable to see what events I can potentially catch.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Will be heading over on the August bank holiday weekend, I have tickets for athletics on the Monday morning. Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Enjoy rainbow :)

I think it's better to attend the athletics at the heats as you get to see everyone race. Never say never if the favourite doesn't make it to the final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just 20 out of 300 G4S staff turn up at Olympic venue and the games have not even started yet. LOL. :p

Staff at G4s would probably know a lot more of what is going on behind the scenes than any one else working there and with word and rumors getting around of anything unusual or suspicious one would expect these people to be the first to want to opt out.

This story has already surfaced so wouldn't surprise me about the high number of absenteeism in the firm.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2174809/Nick-Buckles-G4S-boss-yields-angry-calls-police-Army-cover-costs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I love that forum :pac: I can never tell for sure if they are mentally ill or incredibly stupid.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638920

Yesterdays Irish Times. :p

http://i49.tinypic.com/2rdb4sn.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Anyone see the bolt documentary on bbc.what a guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I cant wait.

It is a superb opportunity to perv at scantily clad athletic young women. Diving, Tennis, Gymnastics (the legal ones of course) and a whole host of other lovely ladies

A bit like this??

inforfun wrote: »

Are number 2 and 3 twins?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Carefull with what you wear if going to any of the events guys. No flash mob marketing then like there was during the World Cup.

Makes the whole thing with Mccey D's being the only food available (well almost) in the Olympic Village a little clearer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

irish-stew wrote: »
    Carefull with what you wear if going to any of the events guys. No flash mob marketing then like there was during the World Cup.

Makes the whole thing with Mccey D's being the only food available (well almost) in the Olympic Village a little clearer as well.

The Olympics have just lot a lot of face with me having read that article. Lord Coe can protect who he likes, but if he can't deliver a completely open, equal, event, he should never have gotten involved in it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

That's an awful shame considering the amount of money and effort that was put into this international sporting event.

One would think that if they dropped the price a bit they might be able to get rid of a lot more of them. :p

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/700000-olympics-tickets-unsold-7953201.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That's an awful shame considering the amount of money and effort that was put into this international sporting event.

One would think that if they dropped the price a bit they might be able to get rid of a lot more of them. :p

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/700000-olympics-tickets-unsold-7953201.html

Poland and the Ukraine had loads of unsold seats for the European Championships, still considered a success. It isn't all about bums on seats or profit!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Something going on in London?

Israel fears new Munich massacre.
    Mossad believes the bombing of a Bulgarian bus was a precursor to an attack on the London Games, writes Uzi Mahnaimi in Tel Aviv
    ISRAELI agents fearing an “anniversary attack” on Israel’s athletes at the Olympic Games in London are hunting Iranian-backed terrorists in Europe.

It is 40 years since Palestinian radicals crept into the Olympic village in Munich in an audacious operation that ended in the deaths of 11 Israeli athletes and coaches, a German policeman and five of the eight attackers.

Now intelligence analysts in Tel Aviv fear the Iranians are back in the terrorist game in Europe and may be aiming to pull off a spectacular act of reprisal in the eye-for-an-eye war over their nuclear weapons programme.

The alert sounded for the security services last week when Israeli tourists were ambushed and killed by a bomber in the resort of Burgas in Bulgaria, the first attack of its kind in that country.

...Mossad has detected almost every terrorist plot by its foes — the last one in Cyprus only a few days earlier. Since May 2011 it has prevented more than 20 attacks, almost two a month. Yet there was not a shred of warning about the Bulgarian bomb. “We smelt that something was going on, but we didn’t know how to put it into context,” said a senior security source.

The Israelis became convinced it was part of a bigger plan — and they suspected the target was the London Games.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/world_news/Europe/article1086151.ece

It could be something - I hope it really comes to nothing.

Whilst alot of those tickets are for the footballing events, its also one of the biggest selling events. as the football is a knock out event after the first round I would imagine more would be sold then.

Alot of tickets have only just gone on sale as well, following returns of tickets that had already been bought, and from international sales. Don't forget those figures also probably include the Paralympics.

Like everything else, differnet media outlets will give slants on the story. This event will be far from a shame.

There might even be more seats up for grabs when people read this.

Report: Israel fears 'anniversary attack' at Olympics

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4258554,00.html

Erm, two posts before yours.

;)

• Advertisement

There might even be more seats up for grabs when people read this.

Report: Israel fears 'anniversary attack' at Olympics

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-4258554,00.html

There's a very real possibility of a terrorist attack at the olympics, this is the most high profile olympics we've ever seen.
    As regards to what the Israeli's are saying it's only another attempt at making the world feel sorry for them, they'd probably go as far as staging a terrorist attack.
    I wouldn't like to be living in London at the moment.

As regards to what the Israeli's are saying it's only another attempt at making the world feel sorry for them, they'd probably go as far as staging a terrorist attack.

Jesus, are you people multiplying by the day? I am pro Palestinian and detest Israel, but staged attacks, that is fcuking retarded and you know it.

There's a very real possibility of a terrorist attack at the olympics, this is the most high profile olympics we've ever seen.
    No one in their right mind should attend these games,and people should avoid the city Ctr.

We could also see absenteeism among military presence after G4l back down, some say staff at G4l security got wind of 200.000 plastic coffins discovered in a warehouse.

my brothers ex is attending and she has been warned.

Jesus, are you people multiplying by the day? I am pro Palestinian and detest Israel, but staged attacks, that is fcuking retarded and you know it.

Did i say i think it would happen? NO
    But i am open minded, anything can happen

There's a huge difference between someone who looks at the 2 sides of the coin and someone who is biased like yourself.

No one in their right mind should attend these games,and people should avoid the city Ctr.

We could also see absenteeism among military presence after G4l back down, some say staff at G4l security got wind of 200.000 plastic coffins discovered in a warehouse.

my brothers ex is attending and she has been warned.
    Fellows was also informed that 200,000 casket linings that can hold four dead bodies each have been shipped into London in preparation for the Games.

Also: http://www.yourepeat.com/watch/?v=ssKbXvst0Wk&feature=youtube_gdata

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement