Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have I just stepped into the conspiracy theroy forum? Yes there more than likely is a risk, but the terorist attack level is probably no higher than what it was after 9/11, 7/7, or when the IRA brought the troubles to London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Christ on a bike. It's tin foil hat time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Biggins wrote: »

Alex Jones is a fat retard. End of.

No one in their right mind ....

You in previous posts stated that you believe Obama is the anti christ and that Jay Z and Rihanna are in the illuminati/ freemasons, worship satan and spreads the word through their music and videos.

Goodnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

irish-stew wrote: »
    Have I just stepped into the conspiracy theroy forum? Yes there more than likely is a risk, but the terorist attack level is probably no higher than what it was after 9/11, 7/7, or when the IRA brought the troubles to London.

When you get Israel intelligence warning us about something and then then being told that London is within range of Iranian missiles its time to be vigilant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Disagreed, As it's London and an international event there's a significantly higher risk but enough intelligence and security would sort that out.

As for the coffins, pics or GTFO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Christ on a bike. It's tin foil hat time again.

Of course (sadly) they have to plan for such things.
    I hope the games instead though bring much needed fun and money into the pockets of Londoners and others instead with little hassle whatsoever.

Disagreed, As it's London and an international event there's a significantly higher risk but enough intelligence and security would sort that out.

I provide the following ONLY for showing that some eventualities have been planned for.

* http://corporatemediaexposed.com/2012-london-olympics-undercover-journalist-reveals-that-200000-casket-linings-on-standby-american-and-foreign-troops-onsite-evacuation-plan-ready-for-all-of-london/

* http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2012/07/497647.html

* http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1957478

I hope like many here, they never have to see the light of day.

When you get Israel intelligence warning us about something and then then being told that London is within range of Iranian missiles its time to be vigilant.

Do you, or do you not, believe Mossad?

Did they, or did they not, bring down the towers?

You seem to change your conspiracy leanings more often than I change my socks.

Again- how are people meant to take someone who believes Jay Z and Rihanna are satanic illuminati freemasons seriously?

We could also see absenteeism among military presence after G4l back down, some say staff at G4l security got wind of 200.000 plastic coffins discovered in a warehouse.

Emergency body storage is done in body bags, not plastic coffins.

You are honestly taking the piss by now.

I provide the following ONLY for showing that some eventualities have been planned for.

I hope like many here, they never have to see the light of day.

I agree with you, the only reason the coffins are there is for any eventuality that may arise.

• Advertisement

Your vigilant about suspicious person or items left unatended, any person traveling on the underground, other transport systems, or the venues can do that. The ordinary commuter and persons attending the games can do sweet FA about long range missiles, thats down to the security services at the goverment.

London was a risk after 9/11, 7/7 was in London, and there was many security alerts during the 90 from the IRA that never made the news. Granted there's a risk due to the nature of the event and aniversey of Munich, but to suggest that people should not attend the games is crazy talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Of course (sadly) they have to plan for such things.
    I hope the games instead though bring much needed fun and money into the pockets of Londoners and others instead with little hassle whatsoever.

I'm pretty sure London already has emergency plans in place for a dirty bomb etc. As I'm sure Paris, Frankfurt and Madrid do.

I was in Windsor last week where the rowing is being held and you can almost feel the anticipation there.

Everything has been painted, polished, weeded, pruned or jet washed. Every lampost has a flag or banner on it. It all looks great. It's brilliant.

I agree with you, the only reason the coffins are there is for any eventuality that may arise.

True.
    As unfortunately people have found out in the past, all it takes is one scare (be it even false) and people start to run, trample each other and sadly there are injuries/deaths.
    This has happened in the past in Europe and at religious festivals in some Arab states.
    The planning for such eventualities unfortunately has to be looked into even if it (hopefully) comes to nothing.

I'm pretty sure London already has emergency plans in place for a dirty bomb etc. As I'm sure Paris, Frankfurt and Madrid do.
    To be sure.
    A triage system will have been long thought up and planned for.
    Its just a case of if it would go as smoothly as according to the way it should.

London was a risk after 9/11, 7/7 was in London, and there was many security alerts during the 90 from the IRA that never made the news. Granted there's a risk due to the nature of the event and aniversey of Munich, but to suggest that people should not attend the games is crazy talk.

:confused:I never suggested that people should not attend, I hope everyone enjoys the Olympics

I was in Windsor last week where the rowing is being held and you can almost feel the anticipation there.

Everything has been painted, polished, weeded, pruned or jet washed. Every lampost has a flag or banner on it. It all looks great. It's brilliant.
    The worlds media is going to be focused on the city for some time so I hope it goes well for them too.

:confused:I never suggested that people should not attend, I hope everyone enjoys the Olympics

Apolagies, that was Run_to_da_hills.

Emergency body storage is done in body bags, not plastic coffins.

You are honestly taking the piss by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

If I wanted a snooze I would watch the antiques roadshow. Instead, I read the last two pages of this thread.

My favourite sports to watch will be - in no particular order;
    • Diving
    • Weightlifting
    • Track and field
    • Swimming
    • Gymnastics
    • Shooting
    • Rowing

One event I don't get the point of is walking. Weirdest event ever :D

If I wanted a snooze I would watch the antiques roadshow. Instead, I read the last two pages of this thread.
    You must be desperate for a snooze then! :D :P ;)

I like the diving, gymnastics, weightlifting and some track and field.
    I wish they had Sumo wrestling in it though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why are the conspiracy theorists allowed pollute this thread with their deluded rantings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im looking forward to this, and I would definitely attend if the tickets werent so expensive etc. I must find a livestream or something of all the events. Anybody know if there is one anywhere?

Im not sure what my favorite events are, but I love the weightlifting and swimming. The other pool sports are pretty deadly too, like diving.

the red button on bbc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

The Olympic torch is gonna be on Eastenders tonight apparently :rolleyes:

Wot you fink its all porkies?

8 minute segment of eastenders tonight is live when Billy Mitchell is really part of the torch relay.

Wot you fink its all porkies?

8 minute segment of eastenders tonight is live when Billy Mitchell is really part of the torch relay.

I know it's true.

And Russell Brand and Dawn French doing a duet at the closing ceremony, oh lord! :o

• Advertisement

I was thinking today how you could have an olympic sweepstake. The only idea I could come up with was a league table.

There are 204 countries participating. Your league would consist of 10 countries randomly chosen. The winner having most medals overall.

Nobody at work was interested :(

I was thinking today how you could have an olympic sweepstake. The only idea I could come up with was a league table.

There are 204 countries participating. Your league would consist of 10 countries randomly chosen. The winner having most medals overall.

Nobody at work was interested :(

Yeah it's too tough to do, not even sure how you would attempt an Olympic competition. Fair play for trying tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm sure it's probably already been mentioned, but how the f*ck did McDonalds manage to ensure that no one else can serve chips during the games? What if I set up a rectangular potato wedges stand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I can't wait for the olympics. i'm looking forward to watching the swimming,diving, athletics, football,gymastics and canoeing :). There may be others but these are the ones I'm most looking forward to watching :).

token101 wrote: »
    I'm sure it's probably already been mentioned, but how the f*ck did McDonalds manage to ensure that no one else can serve chips during the games? What if I set up a rectangular potato wedges stand?

Same for most big sporting events, only Carlsberg was on sale in the Euro zones I'd imagine in Poland and Ukraine. Be the same in 2014 at the World Cup with Budweiser.
    I can't wait for the olympics. i'm looking forward to watching the swimming,diving, athletics, football,gymastics and canoeing :). There may be others but these are the ones I'm most looking forward to watching :).

I can't wait to see a Bulgarian weightlifter's snatch :pac:
    Need to stop making that joke :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ooooh I have found a random number generator site so I am gonna do a league table for myself.

Anyone else interested?

Ooooh I have found a random number generator site so I am gonna do a league table for myself.

Anyone else interested?

Do we have to pay to enter?

As an actress said to a bishop :p

Is that your line of the day ? :D

No entry fee. Let's see who else may be interested and then beg a mod to hold and jumble the list of countries. Then we PM them our 10 numbers.

Any other ideas how to do this?

Is that your line of the day ? :D

No entry fee. Let's see who else may be interested and then beg a mod to hold and jumble the list of countries. Then we PM them our 10 numbers.

Any other ideas how to do this?

Stick me down for it anyway, will give me a country to follow for the duration besides Ireland. If we could get 20 people that would be a nice number.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Love the Olympics, hoping to get to see some of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Sweet

some more here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/83284674@N05/

Can't even walk to work now with having to make a detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is there even a remote chance of an Irish athlete medaling in a Track and Field event? Any previews I read write them all off as no hopers but maybe somebody on here has a better insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

When does the olympics start?

Saturday morning. The opening ceremony is Friday evening.

Friday I think

• Advertisement

Saturday morning. The opening ceremony is Friday evening.
    Friday I think

Due to the huge number of events it actually starts wednesday afternoon with two matches in womens football, another two matches on thursday, archery (i think) friday morning, then the opening ceremony friday night at 9pm.

;)

Due to the huge number of events it actually starts wednesday afternoon with two matches in womens football, another two matches on thursday, archery (i think) friday morning, then the opening ceremony friday night at 9pm.

;)

Any idea when it ends , so I can find something else to bitch about

Katie Taylor announced as flag bearer.

I hope she's not too tired after that! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Beautiful Gold.

So-so Silver.

Shameful Bronze.

I will be enjoying the Athletics and Swimming with my takeaway McDonalds drowned down with refreshing Coca Cola.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Beautiful Gold.

So-so Silver.

Shameful Bronze.

Subscribe to the American way of thinking? Second place is first loser. :pac:

Glad to hear that Katie carries the flag, that guy who posted that thread/rant about her this morning will be delighted :p

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Katie Taylor announced as flag bearer.

I hope she's not too tired after that! :pac:
    As long as it's not a false flag. :pac:

The GB Womans football team has had a winning start to their campaign, beating NZ 1-0 at the Millennium Stadium.

5 other matches in the Womans competition today...

17:00 - Japan 2 - 1 Canada
    17:00 - United States 4 - 2 France
    18:45 - Cameroon v Brazil
    19:45 - Sweden v South Africa
    19:45 - Colombia v DPR Korea

8 Matches in the Mens Competition tomorrow in including Great Britain v Senegal at 8pm at Old Trafford.

Will the men's football be televised tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Will the men's football be televised tomorrow?

The Beeb are showing some of it, definatly the GB game though. RTE showing from the opening cerermony onwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement