Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what about the poor bastards who have to have it cleaned up and ready for tomorrow morning ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Right lads it's all over for the night. Fúck off home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

paconnors wrote: »
    i wonder how can they use the middle of the stadium for track and field events, if they leave cauldren there

They gonna move it.....or so they said on BBC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Song selection for the night great. And then RTE decide to sign off with that sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    I just wasted 3 hours of my life watching that tripe?
    WTF?

Your time isn't that precious, stay calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭aimerlans

Anyone feeling a bit unimpressed.. It didn't catch my attention in the slightest especially in comparison with Beijing, I gave up watching around 10pm so perhaps I didn't give it enough time..

What did everyone else think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

i love the way during their rose tinted trip down memory lane, they conveniently air-brushed the empire's mass slaughter and terrorism of indigeneous peoples around the globe.

oops! did i say something i shouldn't 'ave?

Yeah. They really should have focussed on that. Would have made a great start to the event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

what about the poor bastards who have to have it cleaned up and ready for tomorrow morning ?

Another 3000 troops ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

FanadMan wrote: »
    They gonna move it.....or so they said on BBC

big health and saefty risk there moving fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

paconnors wrote: »
    i wonder how can they use the middle of the stadium for track and field events, if they leave cauldren there

I assume you were watchign on RTE? Cos BBC said it would be moved. Dont believe peopel that are making it up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

i love the way during their rose tinted trip down memory lane, they conveniently air-brushed the empire's mass slaughter and terrorism of indigeneous peoples around the globe.

No, assuming your intention was to make yourself sound like a monumental prick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

:rolleyes:
    "Convenient"? Did you expect them to show that in the Olympic opening ceremony? Suppose in world cup 2006 you gave out about Germany not having a homage to the Nazi party and concentration camps.
    Yes, you did say something you shouldn't have. Not cos it's controversial, but because it's bollocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Thought that was excellent, the mad NHS cameo aside

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    I just wasted 3 hours of my life watching that tripe?
    WTF?
    I hope someone tied you to a chair and hid the remote. Otherwise that's the most retarded thing I've read in this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I thought there would be more live music. Bit disappointed that Paul only played one, the sound was terrible as well for some reason.

• Advertisement

Whats the first event on tomorrow?

Cienciano wrote: »
    "Convenient"? Did you expect them to show that in the Olympic opening ceremony? Suppose in world cup 2006 you gave out about Germany not having a homage to the Nazi party and concentration camps.
    Yes, you did say something you shouldn't have. Not cos it's controversial, but because it's bollocks!

I dont know. Personally I enjoyed the part of the ceremony in Beijing that showed the guy speaking against the government then being murdered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Night night all.

Going to be wreaked at work tomorrow, but was well worth it. Brillant, just brillant. Can see Danny Boyle getting an MBE for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Whats the first event on tomorrow?

Road race cycling I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Mars Bar wrote: »
    D'ya know, I think the reason Macca doesn't sound great is coz of autotuned ****e like the X-Factor.

No...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tox56 wrote: »
    the mad NHS cameo aside

They only put that in at the last minute to piss off Mitt Romney.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bill O hearly

'That dragged on, lots of endless talking''

LOL
    It was mega!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

The U.S and Colombians Women's National Teams were watching on T.V in Scotland as they have matches in Scotland. I'd be fuming to be honest.

i wouldnt if i was sharing Hope Solos room ;) hubba hubba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

The U.S and Colombians Women's National Teams were watching on T.V in Scotland as they have TVs in Scotland. I'd be fuming to be honest.

I thought you were going to say this :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Absolutely brilliant show, congrats to the Brits tonight, they nailed it. A triumph. Can only imagine the sense of pride british people must feel seeing that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Very underwhelmed by the whole evening, we as neighbours of GB could enjoy the music and relate to it, doubt the majority of the rest of the world could, the visuals were very poor also. I was really hoping the queen would light the flame, what with it being her anniversary et al.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

if you're gonna pay homage to your history, then have the integrity and courage to show it all warts 'n all!

anything else is.......... well, bollocks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Could be wrong, but looking at the list of events tomorrow I don't think theres anything on in the stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

I thought that was brilliant. Better then Beijing even. It was very clever and not just depended on glitz. Getting the kids to light the torch, the Queen/Bond thing and the "moulding" of the Olympic rings at the start was all very impressive yet still personal.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Yeah. They really should have focussed on that. Would have made a great start to the event.

i thought these games were meant to symbolize truth and honesty.
    obviously i was deluded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Did you hear the cheer when the Ireland team came on?
    You said more about yourself in your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

obviously i was deluded.

I agree, you are completely deluded.

obviously i was deluded.

You are deluded. Presumably you've complained about all similar events over the years? Beijing and China's various indecretions? Germany and the Wars? South Africa and Aparthied etc

I agree, you are completely deluded.

it must have been all those costumes and fireworks that did it.
    gosh how foolish of me.

and to think i thought the Brits slaughtered native peoples throughout the globe.

indioblack wrote: »
    Did you hear the cheer when the Ireland team came on?
    You said more about yourself in your post.

did you hear Daley shout "Go home Paddy!":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

if you're gonna pay homage to your history, then have the integrity and courage to show it all warts 'n all!

anything else is.......... well, bollocks!

That's you're problem, you're getting a history lesson confused with a sporting event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Well I thoroughly enjoyed the opening of the 2012 Olympic games well done to our neighbours for putting on IMO a magnificent show and best of luck to all the Irish competitors! Also thanks for the entertainment on this thread goodnight all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I'm obviously not British but I'm proud for them.

I can't compare it to Beijing, Athens, Sydney, Atlanta etc etc cos I've never bothered my arse watching much of any opening ceremony before. But that was great in some parts!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

obviously i was deluded.

So you I take it you where complaining when during the Beijing opening ceremony they failed to mention their human rights abuses? or in Sydney 2000 when they forgot to bring up the abuse that Aborigines have suffered there. Perhaps in 2004 there should have been a montage to slavery in ancient Greece. I could go on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Super Poppa Smurf

Complete pile of shyte! It was absolute mess compared to china.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

It was awesome! Well done Great Britain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

did you hear Daley shout "Go home Paddy!":D

Go to bed.

That's you're problem, you're getting a history lesson confused with a sporting event.

No matey they got a sporting event confused with a very (poor) history lesson.;)

You'll get there eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭noelfirl

That was superb. I was glad to see they didn't try to compete on pure extravaganza with Beijing but instead produced something that was warm, engaging, humorous, elating, completely inclusive and beautifully executed. Great few hours of TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Enjoyed it I must say, only got to see lasers from my window tho as trees obscured my firework view :) noisy tho! Thankful I was in front of the telly and not trying to navigate my way home on the tube tho!
    Macca tho, seriously, again? I'd have preferred the Stones. Didn't hear any Blur or Oasis or Pulp either... Britpop? Loved the queen/Daniel Craig bit tho!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Complete pile of shyte! It was absolute mess compared to china.

The queer jumped out of a helicopther,
    i rest my case

gosh how foolish of me.

and to think i thought the Brits slaughtered native peoples throughout the globe.

So did you complain about other events, or is it just the British that have to do it in your eyes?

Namlub wrote: »
    Go to bed.

why? am i disturbing your warm feelin of delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

gosh how foolish of me.

No matey they got a sporting event confused with a very (poor) history lesson.;)

You'll get there eventually.

why? am i disturbing your warm feelin of delusion.

Enough.
    Take it somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Thought Danny Boyle did a great job. Some of the concepts like the social media thing were quite leftfield but the music was great and some decent touches like the Mr Bean bit.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement