Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Complete pile of shyte! It was absolute mess compared to china.

thank God!

another voice of sanity exists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Very entertaining and congratulations to our dearest neighbours. Hopefully the olympics continue in a similar light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Any chance of an answer, no?

So did you complain about other events, or is it just the British that have to do it in your eyes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

it must have been all those costumes and fireworks that did it.
    gosh how foolish of me.

and to think i thought the Brits slaughtered native peoples throughout the globe.

Yes, and of course every Brit who took part was in total agreement with the British government's actions at the time. Just like you support the current Irish government in everything they do.

There was actually a veiled reference to their regret behind some of the actions in the past during the bit about the Industrial Revolution. Maybe it was a bit subtle for you, but why not get somebody to point it out to you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I thought it was brilliant!

The UK putting on a fantastic show!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Tonight, I am one very proud Londoner.

The games have begun!!! :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Tonight, I am one very proud Londoner.

The games have begun!!! :):):)

Yup ye surpassed yourselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

did you hear Daley shout "Go home Paddy!":D
    Nope. The Irish got a welcome - and quite right too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Just checked the tv schedule... Not showing any of the Equestrian Olympics... I has a sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I thought the whole event was great. It had a bit of personality and humour in it which is usually lacking in ceremonies like this. Excellent choice of music and it all looked fantastic. Nice touch letting the youngsters light the torch to fit with their 'Legacy' idea. The British can definitely be proud tonight. Now let the games begin. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Complete pile of shyte! It was absolute mess compared to china.
    It couldn't be compared to Beijing - so they didn't try to - they said that from the beginning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

if you're gonna pay homage to your history, then have the integrity and courage to show it all warts 'n all!

anything else is.......... well, bollocks!

Seeing as you are so clever i'm sure you possess the self-awareness to realise that it is people like you that hamper evolution. We fought with the British in our past. The past. They are now our neighbours, our biggest trading partners and our friends. They did their stuff tonight. If you have a problem with that, then fine. But remember, your arms are a little longer than the rest of us for a reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,596 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah_Yeah wrote: »
    Just checked the tv schedule... Not showing any of the Equestrian Olympics... I has a sad :(

24 HD and SD channels on satellite, free. It is being shown, just not on the crappy channel line-up you have ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I think those complaining about the opening ceremeony just didn't get it and perhaps it was a bit too subtle to them.

"WHAT!! No epic fireworks, acrobats or human formations??" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Tune in the 24 Olympic channels and you won't miss a single thing I reckon.

http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Dressage is the worst tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Well I enjoyed it. Hopefully the games turn out to be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Loved it I am actually watching some of it again.

It was incredible, well done Danny Boyle and all the volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Was expecting to hate this opening ceremony seeing as I absolutely loved the Beijing opening ceremony. I was proved wrong big time tonight! Muhammed ali and the torch lighting brought a tear to my eye I'm not ashamed to admit!

I was really pleased at what the female BBC presenter said about us. It was really nice of her.
    I really can't fault it. Kenneth Brannagh, J.K. Rowling, Emile sande accompanied by those amazing dancers, BEAN (!), Arctic Monkeys, Paul McCartney and the young athletes were all brilliant! Danny Boyle should be proud.

Can't wait for the real games to begin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I was ready to be cynical but fair play, was really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

sparks - Russia, GB, Australia, Germany, South Korea, Italy, Ukraine, Belarus, Canada, Kenya
    Sparks43 wrote: »
    04 05 13 06 11 15 03 08 18 09

for the numbers thingy:D

There ya go sparks. added to main list too.

Beddy time now g'night all x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Was a very entertaining show and music was top notch. Well done Danny Boyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

enjoyed that,well done to all involved,loved the music bit through the ages,
    the cauldron/torch bit was fantastic great bit of engineering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

fair bit of copper in that cauldern hope they have 24 hr security, or it might go walkies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Americans are really struggling with it lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Absolutely brilliant show, congrats to the Brits tonight, they nailed it. A triumph. Can only imagine the sense of pride british people must feel seeing that

I've lived here for three years, get a fair bit of ribbing for being British and fair play it's all banter, but I'm really proud to be a Brit tonight. I thought that was a great show and I can't wait to get to London for the second week of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

paconnors wrote: »
    fair bit of copper in that cauldern hope they have 24 hr security, or it might go walkies :D

You might have something to do with that by the looks of your username :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Samich wrote: »
    You might have something to do with that by the looks of your username :P

Well, we know what the punch will be served from at all the Big Fat Gypsie Weddings from now on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

thought it was great and much more personal and warmth than bejing. it actually will be a lot harder to follow than bejing because it changes the emphasis to creativity and narrative rather than scale and spectacular. thats a good thing imho and i think that rio will go down a carnival route and move away from huge syncronized dances.

some of the usual antibritish nonsense on here is just plain embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

raymann wrote: »
    some of the usual antibritish nonsense on here is just plain embarrassing.

What anti British attitude? What because some people don't lick the backsides of the British the way some of the west brits do on here??

I was born in England and lived there till I was 14 and still speak with 100% English accent. You wont find me supporting England at anything though ever and instead just find it amusing with some the "real" Irish people trying to lick the arses of these guys.

I see all these threads about Ireland joining the commonwealth, and rejoining the union etc occassionaly and thats just as bad personally.

I heading off to Spain in a few days and sick of this "Britain the best in the world" crap, glad I'm avoiding it tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What anti British attitude? What because some people don't lick the backsides of the British the way some of the west brits do on here??

I was born in England and lived there till I was 14 and still speak with 100% English accent. You wont find me supporting England at anything though ever and instead just find it amusing with some the "real" Irish people trying to lick the arses of these guys.

I see all these threads about Ireland joining the commonwealth, and rejoining the union etc occassionaly and thats just as bad personally.

I heading off to Spain in a few days and sick of this "Britain the best in the world" crap, glad I'm avoiding it tbh.

I think we're at a stage now in Ireland where we don't want to fight no more, its not about licking arse. Ireland and Britain are as close as they've ever been as independent states. I hope it continues, as I believe that each nation has more in common with each other than they do with any European or World country. We're a special race of people from these islands, just look at the impact we've made on the world over the centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I think we're at a stage now in Ireland where we don't want to fight no more, its not about licking arse. Ireland and Britain are as close as they've ever been as independent states. I hope it continues, as I believe that each nation has more in common with each other than they do with any European or World country. We're a special race of people from these islands, just look at the impact we've made on the world over the centuries.

Sorry to be PC about this, but I refute that statement. Part of the reason why I didn't consider myself English ever (despite being born and bred there) was because I wasn't racially anglo saxon. A lot of people in Ipswich said I couldn't be English because my parents were Irish, so everyone called me Irish.

I've always viewed England as having a WASP identity anyway, and if you didn't fit that description, you're weren't English or as English as somebody who was. I'm sure thats changing now with the world becoming more global and more mixed race, fair play to people like Mo Farrah if they feel that way, because I felt otherwise given the amount of crap I had for my background that I wasn't really ever allowed to be English even if I wanted to be.

In theory there's no such thing as race as we're all from the human race but if you want to be silly about it the English to me are just ethnic Germans afterall, sure Hitler wanted to rule the world with them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

There is a lot of anti British nonsense on boards and I say that as a republican. It does reflect a small part of Irish society but it's that part that will never grow up. All countries have such an element. It's bizarre when you hear anti british comments from those that wear English football shirts or one particular Scottish club. Shows the level of intelligence in their argument.

Sometimes Britain is the best in the world, just like other nations are the best in the world at other things. (Germans with enginnering and minding their money! The Italians and food. ) It doesn't mean you're a west Brit when you pay a compliment to a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose England were the original master race if you will, conquering the world and asserting dominance. However pioneers of any discipline are always there to be shot at, in hindsight things could have been done differently.

From what you type I gather that you were in a particular identity limbo between English and Irish and suffered discrimination as a result from both sides.

I sympathise with you for you're bad experiences, but I do feel that times are moving in a positive direction. Our states will forever share a link both geographically and culturally and I think that's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

yes you have actually mentioned that before..... lick the backsides of the british? what are you on about? talk about obsessive. this has got nothing to do with my attitudes towards the british, i just thought it was a good ceremony.

its very obvious tha some people on here have a massive anti british agenda that a lot of people, myself included, find boring and outdated. sorry if that offends you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I actually thought it was ****e....Awful boring.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Chiming in from the US, I would just like to say that Ralph Lauren should be shot.

Berets? They have to be kidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Chiming in from the US, I would just like to say that Ralph Lauren should be shot.

Berets? They have to be kidding.

That was my reaction too, did you also catch that the outfits were made in China. The cheap bastard Mr Lif****z (doesn't sound quite as good as Mr Lauren does it) will not be getting that gig in 2016 I'd say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I can deal with 'Made in China' if they provided equal quality at lower cost. The US Olympic Committee is a private body, not a government organisation. Storm in a teacup.

The berets on the other hand... The Russians had more American-looking hats than the Americans did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

But remember, your arms are a little longer than the rest of us for a reason
    This made me laugh out loud. You legend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I can deal with 'Made in China' if they provided equal quality at lower cost. The US Olympic Committee is a private body, not a government organisation. Storm in a teacup.

The berets on the other hand... The Russians had more American-looking hats than the Americans did.

Hmm, diasagree. If you are truly supporting the US team and not profiting from them; a) Mr Lif****z (love that it catches the censor) can easily afford to gift these (even after the made in China gaff) as he's selling Team USA clothing on the back of this.
    b) We could kinda use the jobs tight now.

Ralph Lauren marketing team fked up big time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Sorry to be PC about this, but I refute that statement. Part of the reason why I didn't consider myself English ever (despite being born and bred there) was because I wasn't racially anglo saxon. A lot of people in Ipswich said I couldn't be English because my parents were Irish, so everyone called me Irish.

I've always viewed England as having a WASP identity anyway, and if you didn't fit that description, you're weren't English or as English as somebody who was. I'm sure thats changing now with the world becoming more global and more mixed race, fair play to people like Mo Farrah if they feel that way, because I felt otherwise given the amount of crap I had for my background that I wasn't really ever allowed to be English even if I wanted to be.

In theory there's no such thing as race as we're all from the human race but if you want to be silly about it the English to me are just ethnic Germans afterall, sure Hitler wanted to rule the world with them. :pac:
    you do realise that your writings are showing a classic case of a persecution complex

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Very impressive and quirky opening. :) Amazing amount of co-ordination going on.:eek: I thought they did a great job. Whoever convinced Lizzy to do the bit with James Bond deserves a prize, but fair play. It'll do a power of good for their tourism industry too. Though the world could have done without the speeches.

Part of the reason why I didn't consider myself English ever (despite being born and bred there) was because I wasn't racially anglo saxon.
    If you wanna be technical about it, neither are the English. Barely 5% of all English male lines show any Saxon ancestry(rising to 15% in Norfolk), while the female lines have none. Oh the Irish aren't "celts" either(or related to Basques/Spaniards for that matter).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Redjeep! wrote: »
    There was actually a veiled reference to their regret behind some of the actions in the past during the bit about the Industrial Revolution.
    I didn't notice that, out of curiosity what was it?

I just want to say, Well done London good show.
    I always watch these opening ceremonies just to see how each country manages and usually get bored half way through, but not last night, there was a great vibrancy and life about the whole event (even surprisingly the parade of athletes), yes there were one or two cringe moments, (the NHS bit?? :confused:) but they didn't take away from the overall feeling.
    One little thing, I know she is getting on a bit but the Queen examining and picking her nails as the stadium erupted welcoming the UK team was a bit......hummm ????

It was also nice to see Ireland getting the 3rd loudest applause after the US and UK teams, and yer one on the BBC commenting how the Irish are welcome everywhere, thank you.

Again, well done to our neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Does the main Olympic thread on boards have to be cluttered up with all this irish vs brits politics nonsense?

On topic what sport are people going to watch today?

I didn't notice that, out of curiosity what was it?

I just want to say, Well done London good show.
    I always watch these opening ceremonies just to see how each country manages and usually get bored half way through, but not last night, there was a great vibrancy and life about the whole event (even surprisingly the parade of athletes), yes there were one or two cringe moments, (the NHS bit?? :confused:) but they didn't take away from the overall feeling.
    One little thing, I know she is getting on a bit but the Queen examining and picking her nails as the stadium erupted welcoming the UK team was a bit......hummm ????

It was also nice to see Ireland getting the 3rd loudest applause after the US and UK teams, and yer one on the BBC commenting how the Irish are welcome everywhere, thank you.

Again, well done to our neighbours.
    one conservative MP was caught out tweeting that the show was too left wing .because of the NHS bit,posh people do not like any mention of the dirty unwashed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

getz wrote: »
    one conservative MP was caught out tweeting that the show was too left wing .because of the NHS bit,posh people do not like any mention of the dirty unwashed
    He must have missed the bit where the poshest person in the UK got involved with her bit of "acting".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Just watching the opening ceremony.

I am sorry but I thought it was rubbish (compared to China and Greece).

1. The first 15 mins was taken up showing rugby and cricket....2 non-olympic sports!
    2. The reference to the NHS...WTF:confused:
    3. Then a moment remembering people who were killed on 7/7...WTF:confused: Talk about politicising the Olympics which I thought was banned.
    4. The industrial revolution....jesus...get over it. They are still cleaning up after it!

I know the Brits love any opportunity to go on about themselves but this was just a promo from the Ministry of Tourism.

I felt like I was watching a end of year school pageant in the local national school. Well intentioned but you just grit your teeth and through it.

Overall I thought it amateurish, lazy and dare I say, looked cheap and bereft of originality.

I mean Paul McCarthy singing "Hey Jude"...really come on...are they that short of ideas that it comes down to an end of the night wedding song!!!! That's just lazy.

It had feck all to do with sports or the olympics and was just a big orgy of Britain. I know there was always going to be an element of self-promotion but that's all it was!!

Very disappointing. Even my English wife felt disappointed. It was totally forgetable.

At the end of the day, it's all about the sports to come so we move on.

ps I liked the torch idea

He must have missed the bit where the poshest person in the UK got involved with her bit of "acting".
    mind you as a man [never mind he is a MP] tweeted; the most leftie opening ceremony i have ever seen.he is the one who was spotted in a party in france with guests with swastika armbands on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Bereft of originality is the last way I would describe the ceremony, whether you like it or not, it was certainly original.

The worldwide (English speaking) press seemed to 'get' it, which is a start, I don't know how it would have gone down in Asia mind..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement