Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is this BBC red button only for sky viewers?

Yeah, but you can otherwise manually add the additional channels if you don't have Sky

There's a list of frequencies here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/bbc_olympics_channels.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Just looking at the boxing now. It's been long since proved conclusively that athletes wearing red have a competetive advantage over other colours. Wearing red should be banned.

You are aware that O'Neill is winning right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭miss choc

Watched the event last night and I have to say it was brilliant I loved it especially the Daniel Craig/Queen sketch. Also the Great Ormand St was good and I loved the musical part all the great British music of the different eras. The only bit that was cheesy was David Beckham grinning like a Cheshire cat on the speedboat bit of a plonker. I also loved the way the copper kettles were used at the end to light the flame and it was great Muhammad Ali was there. It was a credit to London

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Just looking at the boxing now. It's been long since proved conclusively that athletes wearing red have a competetive advantage over other colours. Wearing red should be banned.

You are aware that O'Neill is winning right?

Yes that's not the point though. It's simply not fair. Wearing red causes an increase in testosterone levels and a reduction in your opponents, as well as other beneficial effects to the competitor in red.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Well done o'neill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Well done Darren O'Neill, he wins 15-6 against Akanji the Nigerian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

who lit the torch.

who lit the torch.
    7 young athletes

Right, back to mens gymnastics

Federer playing on BBC3 if anyone wants to watch it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Best of three to the best of my knowledge - think its only the grand slams that have 5

Murray will probably get a medal, JW Tsonga is fourth fave @ a whopping 20/1

Ferrer has a very soft draw and should make semis v Fed. Murray and Djok most likely in the other.

Going for a Murray/Fed final myself! Djok has a bloody nasty draw

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

So far so good for the Irish boxers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Ferrer has a very soft draw and should make semis v Fed. Murray and Djok most likely in the other.

Going for a Murray/Fed final myself! Djok has a bloody nasty draw

Federer should hopefully get to the final as Ferrer's not that strong on grass. I reckon the gold might be his this year, certainly hopefully not McHenmans anyway.

Djokovic might come back but he doesn't look as comfortable on grass as he does on hard (despite winning Wimbledon last year) but I think a true grass court player can beat him.

Good news for Andy Murray. His potential 1/4 final opponent Thomas Berdych is gone.

Well done to Darren O'Neill.

Very disappointing for Cavendish in cycling

Best thing about the olympics is that you get to watch (and get really into) sports you'd rarely see usually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

That has to have been the most amatuerish commentating on a cycle race I have ever seen, not getting info was a factor but the two BBC commentators seemed completely unprepared for anybody else but Team GB to win it. The interview with the winner was a classic, 'You do realise the British are very disappointed?' :D:D

Does anyone know what Dressage is? All I see is some woman, dressed as a man going around in circles on a horse

Does anyone know what Dressage is? All I see is some woman, dressed as a man going around in circles on a horse
    It's basically synchronised swimming with a horse without the water of course :D

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That has to have been the most amatuerish commentating on a cycle race I have ever seen, not getting info was a factor but the two BBC commentators seemed completely unprepared for anybody else but Team GB to win it. The interview with the winner was a classic, 'You do realise the British are very disappointed?' :D:D

This is the problem there's too much hype with the Brits at sport, in a sense I understand it because they're at home but after a while it gets annoying after a while and its a like big bandwagon.

I like the fact its a multi-national event and hope its not all about Brits Brits Brits, (but then again I live in the north what do you expect :p).

Same as these ladies do without a horse. :D
    http://www.grandorangelodge.co.uk/images/orangeman_on_parade.jpg

Roger in a battle here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

The irony here of course is that everyone is moaning about it....but still watching British tv. If you don't like it, watch rte!

watching the archery at the moment, the bows they use are just not right, Robin would be turning in his grave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Horse ballet or something like that...

steve9859 wrote: »
    The irony here of course is that everyone is moaning about it....but still watching British tv. If you don't like it, watch rte!

Naw we just watch to see whats its like after they lose. :D

Come on Federer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

The British media are nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be, but it's the athletes I feel sorry for. Some people take pleasure when they fail, based on what other people have said about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

This is the problem there's too much hype with the Brits at sport, in a sense I understand it because they're at home but after a while it gets annoying after a while and its a like big bandwagon.

I like the fact its a multi-national event and hope its not all about Brits Brits Brits, (but then again I live in the north what do you expect :p).

You find that because you live on these islands. Every country is the same. Lose the chip on your shoulder good lad and stop boring us

Tox56 wrote: »
    The British media are nowhere near as bad as they are made out to be, but it's the athletes I feel sorry for. Some people take pleasure when they fail, based on what other people have said about them.

Tbh I felt sorry for Cavendish he's been the forgotten man over the past few weeks because of Wiggins. You wonder how much the Tour De France has taken out of these guys.

Yes I watched Jill Douglas interview, cringeworthy at best. Just accept it you lost. :rolleyes:

Federer a break up in the third.

will the beach volleyball still be played if it rains, I don't remember watching it being played in the rain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ahhhhh I love the olympics, all the sports. Ahhhhhhhhhh.

I love it!!! :D

Another 4 years until we see the greatest event on earth again!

Falla just wont go away. Shock on the cards? :eek:

You find that because you live on these islands. Every country is the same. Lose the chip on your shoulder good lad and stop boring us

They are the worst in the world at it. The subject of many a good parody.

Today has been my first day off since the 4th July - and all I've done is mooch on the couch watchin' these fecking olympics, completely hooked! Absolutely loving the whole thing.

They are the worst in the world at it. The subject of many a good parody.

Many a good parody here. On these islands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Scroll up to the A-Z at the top of the screen. It shows what events you can watch.

I dont even get that far, press the red button, press ok for "Olympics Live" on 2012 (even tried just pressing 2012) but all I get is please wait on the bottom.

BBC 3 had 2 judo finals and RTE did Lisa's last fight so at least I got something. Hoping taekwondo has a bit better coverage

• Advertisement

Ring your sky up and tell them.

It's working fine :)

Very easy to see what's on and how long it's on for. Excellently done by the BBC :)

Many a good parody here. On these islands.

I feel shouldn't respond to this but I will. You know the irony I was born in England, lived there till I was 14, speak with an East Anglian accent (mentioned this 1000 times now), I'm allowed to have any opinion on Britain if I want, I went to school there etc, did you? I find ironic Irish people, who have probably never lived there/been there before on this thread, telling me what opinion I should have on my country of birth/grew up in, I lived there for the majority of my life still to this day. You can have your opinion on Britain, I have mine, and thats all I will say on it as I don't want to derail this thread. But the hypocrisy from Irish born & bred people on what opinion I should have on Britain is ridiculous.

Anyway Federer's up a break thank god.

I feel shouldn't respond to this but I will. You know the irony I was born in England, lived there till I was 14, speak with an East Anglian accent (mentioned this 1000 times now), I'm allowed to have any opinion on Britain if I want, I went to school there etc, did you? I find ironic Irish people, who have probably never lived there/been there before on this thread, telling me what opinion I should have on my country of birth/grew up in, I lived there for the majority of my life still to this day. You can have your opinion on Britain, I have mine, and thats all I will say on it as I don't want to derail this thread. But the hypocrisy from Irish born & bred people on what opinion I should have on Britain is ridiculous.

You've said all this before many pages back. Give it a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I've lived in Britain for the last 8 years, and as a result I can "sympathise" with them, and they get an awful lot of stick on here.

But I agree there's no point derailing this thread any further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No issue with British athletes doing well, the British media on the other hand...

The cycling today is a perfect example,build them up so much that when they fail, I actually enjoy it.

• Advertisement

You've said all this before many pages back. Give it a rest

Right last post otherwise we're taking it up as a pm.

You specifically replying to me, I explaining my actions, you seem to be more obsessed with my posts than I am with yours, just accept your posts are flawed and all you are doing is nit picking my posts on whatever my views are on Britain, if you don't want to know about my opinions on Britain, then stop replying to me/reading my posts.

Federer won I hope he wins the gold now.

Don't be saying anything critical off the British, the hat doffers will be getting offended! :D

Anyone wrote: »

The cycling today is a perfect example,build them up so much that when they fail, I actually enjoy it.

It was really bad, but what was worse was how cackhanded they were in general. The were screaming about the race for 4th, when in fact it was just the pelethon coming in. They completely forgot that there was 20 odd cyclists ahead. :D

..... I was born in England, lived there till I was 14, speak with an East Anglian accent (mentioned this 1000 times now),...

Really ?

The issue I have with your posts is that you just can't leave well enough alone.

The paragraphs you make about sport I find interesting but instead of clicking "submit" you click "enter" and have yet another dig at anything GB.

Give it up ffs

Mod should come in and keep this to sports, not media or history! :( Ruining the read.

Murray bros in a tight match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mod:
    This thread is for light hearted discussion on the Olympics. Nothing more.
    Last warning.

Never mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

KeithM89 wrote: »
    I cant spell
    I thought it was a new name for the Irish team, Well done to The Olypmics. :)

Sorry K couldn't resist it.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Mod:
    This thread is for light hearted discussion on the Olympics. Nothing more.
    Last warning.

Could you clarify if lighthearted criticism of the commentary is allowed, without being accused of being anti-british?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement