Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Murray bros win first set.

Do all the top players play in doubles? You would think Federer winning the doubles gold last time with Wawrinka would just concentrate on the singles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Could you clarify if lighthearted criticism of the commentary is allowed, without being accused of being anti-british?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Table tennis rules, like real tennis but at the speed of sound and in minature :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Murray bros win first set.

Do all the top players play in doubles? You would think Federer winning the doubles gold last time with Wawrinka would just concentrate on the singles?

Is there a max limit on how many tennis players a country can have? May be why he is doing doubles and single ???

Cavendish blaming the aussies is he for his defeat? I'll take back what I said about feeling sorry for him then, Hoy and Wiggins should still be sweeping up the medal board still though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Watching tiny asian women lifting almost 90kg is kind of turning me on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

They are teeny!

And the medal is the size of their faces lol

Is there a max limit on how many tennis players a country can have? May be why he is doing doubles and single ???

I have absolutely no idea. I've just kinda tuned into the olympics don't know the rules regarding Tennis in the olympics. :p To be fair, although I've found the hype frustrating at times, as if nothing else matters in the world, I can kind of understand it. I mean think about, this is probably the last time in our lifetimes Britain will be getting the olympics, at least not until next century.

With an ever increasingly populated world, we'll expecting the olympics in Kuala Lumpar and Dubai in places and multiple Chinese cities. So it really is a once in a lifetime experiance if you're a Londoner and probably a very proud moment (I lived in London between the ages of 1 and 6 btw and my younger brother was born in northwick park hospital).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Hmm Usa in archery final

Wonder if they will aim at a target and take out half the crowd:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Tennis singles 64 players - Top 56 in the World + 8 wildcards. Max 4 players per country, must have played in Davis Cup or Fed Cup in last 5 years. Wildcards plus any places freed up by the 4 per country rule to be decided by committee.

Doubles. 32 teams. Complicated qualification, but if you are already a Top 16 ranked doubles partnership (single country) you'll probably qualify. Ditto if you are ranked top 10 in the world in doubles but your partner is a different nationality you'll be allowed compete with a different partner. 8 teams will be decided by commitee. Max 2 teams per nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The good thing about the archery is it is over on the day, the USA are the favourites to win this but not doing the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Italy win the Archery Gold medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Italy win the Archery Gold medal.

That was just great tv!!! Only at the Olympics.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Good Game Good Game

Thought the Us had nicked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Great finish, last arrow, you can't beat that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

That was some pressure on that final shot, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Cracking finish in the Archery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Rory McIlroy ever present at centre court, what she sees in him I'll never know.

I mean it can't be solely money really she has a few quid herself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Just looking at the boxing now. It's been long since proved conclusively that athletes wearing red have a competetive advantage over other colours. Wearing red should be banned.

Actually, studies have shown that yellow is the kit colour which lends itself to success more than any other.

They are the worst in the world at it. The subject of many a good parody.

And you base that on your extensive knowledge of being exposed to the media of other large countries, do you?

How on Earth are you in a position to say whether the British media are worse at it than the French? Or the Germans? Or the Americans? Or the Chinese?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I am watching the ladies football, it's not bad, I notice no-one argues with the ref, they just get on with it, its surreal. its better.

All the match officials are women they are all wearing radio mikes so men can explain the offside rules to them. I jest just having an Andy Gray and Richard Keys moment, the twats.

Come on GB.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am watching the ladies football, it's not bad, I notice no-one argues with the ref, they just get on with it, its surreal. its better.

All the match officials are women they are all wearing radio mikes so men can explain the offside rules to them. I jest just having an Andy Gray and Richard Keys moment, the twats.

Come on GB.

Did Gb win?

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Rory McIlroy ever present at centre court, what she sees in him I'll never know.

I mean it can't be solely money really she has a few quid herself!

Probably as more of sports psycologist as much as anything else.

Rory has won his first major, dealt with the pressure and Wozniacki was hoping to do the same so I guess she might find him inspirational, doubt the relationship will last though.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Did Gb win?

They are winning 2 nil against the camerons with 15 minutes to go, but they are firmly in control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Colmustard wrote: »
    They are winning 2 nil against the camerons with 15 minutes to go, but they are firmly in control.

Just the Camerons that occupy Downing Street or their extended family? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Does anyone have a link to a genuine recording of last night opening ceremony?

I'd love to watch it again, youtube seemingly is only offering troll videos to me :mad:

Got to say that GB's second and third goals were rather nice. The second especially.

Does anyone have a link to a genuine recording of last night opening ceremony?

I'd love to watch it again, youtube seemingly is only offering troll videos to me :mad:

It's on RTE player, although the picture quality looked much better on the iPlayer if you can find a way to get that working over here (Google ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Roche finished 88th in the road race.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Abby Wambach was on the score sheet for the U.S again today. She's a national hero!

• Advertisement

They are the worst in the world at it. The subject of many a good parody.

You've obviously never read the Gazzetta dello Sport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

What's the BBCs online coverage like? For live streams and that? We only have the RTE channels in the house here.

On a more positive note, the Irish rower did well this morning....born Latvian but been in Ireland for years and bringing up her kids Irish. Good to see another good Irish performance today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Which county is your man from that's commentating on ladies basketball ?? Christ its dreadfull !!

Lyaiera wrote: »
    What's the BBCs online coverage like? For live streams and that? We only have the RTE channels in the house here.

The BBC Sport App on the PS3 has had about 20 different sports on the go and the stream quality has been great (other than one stream for the boxing earlier which seemed to give up on me).

I assume the normal BBC website will be the same.

Again, you'll need to find a way to get them to work if you're in Ireland, which I assume you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

decies wrote: »
    Which county is your man from that's commentating on ladies basketball ?? Christ its dreadfull !!

That's Timmy McCarthy from Cork, bai.
    He's, eh, enthusiastic, to put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

SHLAM DUNK!

If he's the basketball commentator I'm thinking of he's brilliant. Makes even the most boring games (all of basketball) entertaining. There's some drinking games for his commentating floating about too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Gymnastics BBC red button 7.55 - 10.30pm. Delighted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

What a man Kieran Behan is, lovely moment for him and his family to get into and compete at the Olympics after all he's been through. His interview was brilliant and heart warming stuff and he deserves a medal just for getting through his ordeals. A role model for any upcoming young star. Well done Kieran :D

Ah come on he's not bad tbh. Makes it exciting if anything. Comparing to what RTE have for GAA/Soccer/Rugby he's brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Lyaiera wrote: »
    If he's the basketball commentator I'm thinking of he's brilliant. Makes even the most boring games (all of basketball) entertaining. There's some drinking games for his commentating floating about too.

Disagree with your views on basketball but do agree that McCarthy's unconventional approach to commentary can be fairly entertaining.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

When is the 400 metres swimming final on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Gymnastics BBC red button 7.55 - 10.30pm. Delighted

Got to get me one of these red buttons....doesn't seem to work on UPC for BBC :(

Badminton Fukcen hell I think the players in the doubles are using the force, the speed of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Press it harder son!!!

ascanbe wrote: »
    Disagree with your views on basketball but do agree that McCarthy's unconventional approach to commentary can be fairly entertaining.

Basketball just isn't my sport. I recognise there's value to it (should go without saying) but it's not my thing. I'd watch entire matches he was commentating at the last Olympics though.

Yeah the badminton is amazing to watch alright. The players have amazing skill and reactions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Holy crap mens 400 IM is crazy!!!!
    Awesome stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

X L Wang on the chinese womens badminton, looks like she'd give ye the xl wang if ye dropped your shuttlecock ye know ;-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement