Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

fryup wrote: »
    imagine what they're like in bed

Tiny willies from all the steroids ;)

End of Day 1 - Medals Table

Solid start for me, mid table. Don't want to peak too early. I'm happy with my start :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Samich wrote: »
    Tiny willies from all the steroids ;)

If they're on anything it sure ain't steroids.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    If they're on anything it sure ain't steroids.

It was a joke :P They're in some shape though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

These gymnasts look as if they were chiseled from stone by a god. I'm very jealous :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

imagine what they're like in bed

Tired and sore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The mens swimming was a bit too predictable to be exciting for me. Yang will probably piss the 1500m as well, the talented bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Solid start for me, mid table. Don't want to peak too early. I'm happy with my start :cool:

That's right we've another 2 weeks to go. I'm confident my boys and girls can get me a good finish. Its going to be a struggle though, I could of done with a USA or China in my team. :pac:

That's right we've another 2 weeks to go. I'm confident my boys and girls can get me a good finish. Its going to be a struggle though, I could of done with a USA or China in my team. :pac:

You'll need to rally the troops. Bitta food poisoning could prove to be a valuable option yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Just bought beach volleyball semifinal tickets. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tired and sore?

who them or their partners??;)

who them or their partners??;)

I think you need a mop and bucket ;) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

End of Day 1 - Medals Table

What way is the points system, and what are my countries?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3-4 live swimming races and 3 recorded boxing bouts in the last 2 hours on RTE.

:mad:

irish-stew wrote: »

They're terrible broadcasters. Jimmy McGee too, needs to shut up and just commentate on what he sees rather than using metaphors and telling us about the square mileage of Namibia! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

steve9859 wrote: »
    Just bought beach volleyball semifinal tickets. :)

pervert

How come they don't show the scores on the boxing anymore?

How come they don't show the scores on the boxing anymore?

Was thinking the same thing, it's sooooo much better with scores.

They're terrible broadcasters. Jimmy McGee too, needs to shut up and just commentate on what he sees rather than using metaphors and telling us about the square mileage of Namibia! :mad:

Thankfully starting to work out the http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012 website.

Totally legit by the way as pointed out on the last page.

Shame rte couldn't show one or two of the current live events rather than the blah blah blah they have been at for the last hour.

Yes highlights are welcome but this is just stupid now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Namlub wrote: »
    Bit manky how some of the swimmers drink from the pool then spit it back in...
    They are pros so they probably don't pee in the water like a bunch of skangers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

RTE have highlights from cycling today on after the break for anyone who wants to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

What way is the points system, and what are my countries?:)

Complete list on page 15. I just done a tally of total medals won. I was gonna do 5 points Gold, 3 points Silver & 1 point Bronze. Have spreadsheet setup to calculate but it's at work.

Boyfriend on laptop here so had to use pen and paper tonight. Took long enough writing every list out again then going back and forth 150 times just to put a total medal figure in. Then I had to edit list on my little crappy blackberry, put you all in the correct order only to find that I am bottom of the table :(:(:(

Complete list on page 15. I just done a tally of total medals won. I was gonna do 5 points Gold, 3 points Silver & 1 point Bronze. Have spreadsheet setup to calculate but it's at work.

Boyfriend on laptop here so had to use pen and paper tonight. Took long enough writing every list out again then going back and forth 150 times just to put a total medal figure in. Then I had to edit list on my little crappy blackberry, put you all in the correct order only to find that I am bottom of the table :(:(:(

You should have just waited until you had the laptop :) There's no rush sure :)

Hersheys wrote: »
    RTE have highlights from cycling today on after the break for anyone who wants to see them.

It will probably be 5 minutes of highlights and 10 minutes of Billlllllllllllllllllllllllllll asking his panalist about it.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Absolutely terrible coverage so far. I have seen those fights 4 times now on RTE. There is so much going on and they are showing so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Mark Kavanagh was the favourite for the Cycling apparently :pac:

It would be funny if we werent funding RTEs shoddy coverage :(

... And Bill just got the name wrong. Its Cavindish not Cavanagh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why is anyone watching RTE? Okay if there is a particular Irish athlete that's grand of course but otherwise you're mad - unless you like chin stroking chit-chat.

Did anyone see one of the boxing analysts make a joke about John Joe Nevin saying he was "a great thinker"?

Kind of controversial, joe.ie had a bit up about it.

• Advertisement

... And Bill just got the name wrong. Its Cavindish not Cavanagh!!

Bill is absolutely useless. Same old fogies getting all the jobs. You'd think they would let some young people into these positions.

Who is this guy on rte? Describing the decent in richmond park as big. Might be for the odd amature, for the pros its anything but.

mike65 wrote: »
    Why is anyone watching RTE? Okay if there is a particular Irish athlete that's grand of course but otherwise you're mad - unless you like chin stroking chit-chat.

For some its all they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

felt sorry for the swiss guy who crashed near the end of the cycle race, after being in the lead, poor lad was in tears after the race.

cassid wrote: »
    felt sorry for the swiss guy who crashed near the end of the cycle race, after being in the lead, poor lad was in tears after the race.

Did he finish the race?

Did he finish the race?

No. He carried on for a bit but he was injured and the doctor in one of the cars looked at him and pulled him up.

• Advertisement

Imagine how sore the arses of those cyclists are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Some olympian babes.

Camilla - Norway
    20jfk90.jpg

Amanda - Norway
    34yczsl.jpg

Leyrn Franco - France (Javelin)
    770_leryn-franco-bikini-si-lg-955232251.jpg

Louisa Necib - France
    9louisanecibfrance-tumblr_crop_650.jpg?1342301754

Stephanie Rice - Australia
    art-rice1-420x0.jpg

Hope Solo - America Goalkeeper
    hope-solo-close-up.png

No. He carried on for a bit but he was injured and the doctor in one of the cars looked at him and pulled him up.

He's got nothing on this legend then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Imagine how sore the arses of those cyclists are.

Indeed. Anyone have an idea of what kind of average / top speeds the cyclists can achieve? I would say fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Truman Burbank

There was a breakaway of 30 riders that got about 1 minute ahead of the peleton (Main Pack). Usually in normal cycling like the Tour De France, the peleton would work together to catch the breakaway. In todays race nobody bar the GB team tried to reel in the breakaway because they didnt want it to go to a sprint with Cavendish. The rest of the peleton wanted Team GB to use up all their energy and then they could take advantage of it towards the end. It was only until it was too late that the rest of the peleton realised that they had shot themselves in the foot by not helping the GB team in trying to catch the breakaway.

On the other hand, with so many riders in the breakaway. A lot of the peleton had team mates in the breakaway and probably wanted to protect them by not helping the GB team catch them.

At what point would the rest of the pack have had to have gone, before Cavendish's eagerly awaited Mall sprint, to ensure said sprint didn't happen? If you were watching it on BBC, you'll have seen that the commentators missed the boat almost as much as The Peleton.

• Advertisement

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    Some olympian babes.

Camilla - Norway
    20jfk90.jpg

Amanda - Norway
    34yczsl.jpg

Leyrn Franco - France (Javelin)
    770_leryn-franco-bikini-si-lg-955232251.jpg

Louisa Necib - France
    9louisanecibfrance-tumblr_crop_650.jpg?1342301754

Stephanie Rice - Australia
    art-rice1-420x0.jpg

Hope Solo - America Goalkeeper
    hope-solo-close-up.png

This could rival the thread on the European Football Finals. If you make a thread on it.

On a serious note - Team GB were sh1te today except for the male gymnast who show promise.

On a serious note - Team GB were sh1te today except for the male gymnast who show promise.

Thomas was it? Looked very good, tall too. Only the heats yet sure? :)

keith16 wrote: »
    Indeed. Anyone have an idea of what kind of average / top speeds the cyclists can achieve? I would say fast.

On screen I saw speeds of 52km. Could of been faster that I didn't see.

On average its around 40 km/hr but can get up to higher speeds on declines. IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Empty Olympics venue seats investigated.

It looks like G4L aren't the only problem for not turning up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19028979

I wonder who they have to blame for this? .

Thankfully starting to work out the http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012 website.

Totally legit by the way as pointed out on the last page.

Shame rte couldn't show one or two of the current live events rather than the blah blah blah they have been at for the last hour.

Yes highlights are welcome but this is just stupid now.

BBC don't have to pay for rights to the stuff afaik, which is why they are able to broadcast everything live. It's not really the fault of RTE that they lack in that department, and tbh there's probably more people interested in watching highlights than watching everything live anyway.

You should just get Freesat set up. It'd be worth it for the Olympics alone. 24 live channels of obscure sporting goodness!

In fairness to RTE that was the best highlights over the last couple of hours.

Dispite some of the lack of knowledge from the comentators and so called analysts.

CAVENDISH BILL!! CAVENDISH!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

keith16 wrote: »

On a flat road anything from 40 to 60 Kph depending on weather conditions, wind etc. Descending a mountain or steep hill well Sean Kelly has been clocked at close to 108 Kph :eek:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement