Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

On a flat road anything from 40 to 60 Kph depending on weather conditions, wind etc. Descending a mountain or steep hill well Sean Kelly has been clocked at close to 108 Kph :eek:

Dangerous ;) Tyre could burst or anything :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

mike65 wrote: »
    Why is anyone watching RTE? Okay if there is a particular Irish athlete that's grand of course but otherwise you're mad - unless you like chin stroking chit-chat.

I have 4 channels. Affluence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

On a flat road anything from 40 to 60 Kph depending on weather conditions, wind etc. Descending a mountain or steep hill well Sean Kelly has been clocked at close to 108 Kph :eek:

Theres no decents anywhere on the Olympic course though that riders would get anywhere near to that. Dispite the commentator describing the decent in richmond park as big.

For those of you who dont know it it would take the average cyclist maybe no more than 30 seconds to decend down any of the hills in richmond park. There might have been a few bigger hills on the 'Box Hill' section of the course but still nothing that would be close to what the pro riders would be familar with on the Grand Tour events such as Le Tour De France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Holy shít. The fastest I ever clocked on my shítty bike according to some "app" I have on my "phone" was 48 k/h.

But I had a puncture. And my bike was in the boot of the car I was driving at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

Hersheys wrote: »
    On average its around 40 km/hr but can get up to higher speeds on declines. IIRC.

Think it's typically around 40km/ hr, but Wiggins won the last time trial in the Tour de France (and the race) where he covered 53 km in 1 hr 4 minutes.

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Think it's typically around 40km/ hr, but Wiggins won the last time trial in the Tour de France (and the race) where he covered 53 km in 1 hr 4 minutes.

What speed is that? :pac: :pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Samich wrote: »
    Dangerous ;) Tyre could burst or anything :P
    or you could slip and fall off!:eek:

irish-stew wrote: »
    CAVENDISH BILL!! CAVENDISH!!

sore loser or what!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Redjeep! wrote: »
    Hersheys wrote: »
    On average its around 40 km/hr but can get up to higher speeds on declines. IIRC.

Surely time trials are faster though than just an average race speed. Today's race was a few hundred km - its an endurance challenge rather than who can go the fastest. Example today when Wiggins went back to the GB team car & stuffed his shirt with bottles then made his way back to the front of the peloton to give them to his team.

• Advertisement

Well Cavendish seemed like a right plonker. Saying to the reporter after she asks "Did the Tour de France effect you" or something with "Stop asking stupid questions, do you know about cycling?!" while storming out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This volleyball is the sh!t... some match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Well Cavendish seemed like a right plonker. Saying to the reporter after she asks "Did the Tour de France effect you" or something with "Stop asking stupid questions, do you know about cycling?!" while storming out.

Yeah he was saying the same earlier blaming the aussies for his defeat.

Who cares Cycling's full of druggies anyway, sound almost as arrogant as the f1 drivers.

Yeah he was saying the same earlier blaming the aussies for his defeat.

Who cares Cycling's full of druggies anyway, sound almost as arrogant as the f1 drivers.

Is it? How are they not screened?

At the end of the day it's not the end of the world. Nothing he can do about it now so should just accept defeat graciously like the rest of the GB team.

team GB are really raking in the medals eh?
    unlike China. NOT!

LOL:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

retalivity wrote: »
    is that a remix of 'where the streets have no name' playing in the stadium?

EDIT: yes it is

Any reason why U2 had their songs playing in a "medley of British pop music"?

...Dare I ask?

Wouldn't it have been great if they played the Dubliners, considering the controversy over rap?:D

• Advertisement

Lance Armstrong's under massive investigation at the moment, you seriously think that guys clean?

goodie2shoes - GB didn't win any medals until day 2 in Beijing and still came away with 19 golds, they're expected still to get near 25 this time.

Lance Armstrong's under massive investigation at the moment, you seriously think that guys clean?

goodie2shoes - GB didn't win any medals until day 2 in Beijing and still came away with 19 golds, they're expected still to get near 25 this time.

Why can't everyone be tested? Hardly take too much time or resources?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

...Dare I ask?

Wouldn't it have been great if they played the Dubliners, considering the controversy over rap?:D

Admit it. Part of you is happy they did so you could be pissed off about it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Seriously though.. is anybody else watching the Turkey v Brazil Volleyball game?

It's epic... and not just because of the lovely bottoms.

Seriously though.. is anybody else watching the Turkey v Brazil Volleyball game?

It's epic... and not just because of the lovely bottoms.

I tried clicking red on BBC but it's not on? Is that live? I wanna watch. Wahhh

• Advertisement

I'm watching it on BBC Olympic 16 on Freesat. It's defo live.

2 sets all, Brazil leading 14 - 11 in the fifth right now. First to 15 wins

edit/// Brazil won 15 -12 in the final set.

Great match for the first round. I'll definitely be watching some more volleyball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

...Dare I ask?

We asked to be included in the torch relay then whinge when they include u2 which is 50% British

yes but these games are happening in London, not China.
    I was switching between RTE & BBC coverage, and the jingoistic vibe from the Brits when their girl came in 5th in the swimming was so obvious.
    They barely mentioned the fact that a 16 year old Chinese girl had just broken a WR with a truly stunning performance.

Typical Brit claptrap.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Admit it. Part of you is happy they did so you could be pissed off about it.

I swear people have some sort of alert system so they can keep track of these things...

They barely mentioned the fact that a 15 year old Chinese girl had just broken a WR with a truly stunning performance.

Typical Brit claptrap.

Well I didn't watch it, but this is problem I have with some of the commentary, I know they say this happens in all host countries, but the whole things still off putting. My big fear is when they're so wrapped up in team Geebee, nothing else matters and I hope that isn't the case and I'm sure they're not all like that. It reminds me of euro 96 when a lot of the non-England games didn't sell out because nobody else cared about the foreign teams lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It will be interesting to see what effect Cavendish's failure to deliver will have on Team GB overall. The BBC were so cocksure they never considered the fact that he might lose. (which is what makes the BBC worse than most other broadcasters) The Prime Minister, Camilla Charles Boris Johnson where all waiting at the end for the 'hero' :D There is a view that they rule the world in cycling because of Bejing. The pressure on B. Wiggins to perform now in the timetrial will be immense and could backfire. They were at it again on the highlights programme, 'he's a certain gold' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

yes but these games are happening in London, not China.
    I was switching between RTE & BBC coverage, and the jingoistic vibe from the Brits when their girl came in 5th in the swimming was so obvious.
    They barely mentioned the fact that a 15 year old Chinese girl had just broken a WR with a truly stunning performance.

Typical Brit claptrap.

:D

Jingoism? How about a national broadcaster focusing its main attention upon its home grown athletes who are representing the people for which the broadcast was intended?

As a proud Briton I far prefer to know the stories of British athletes who have dedicated their lives and made huge sacrafices, and grown up training in the towns and cities that we know so well in order to achieve a dream of proudly representing Great Britain on the biggest stage of them all. I want to hear their thoughts on achieving those goals, I want to hear how much representing Britain in London means to them. The majority of people want exactly the same.

Simply because RTE often decide that the Irish people need not watch their own athletes does not mean that the approach of the British Broadcasting Corporation is categorically wrong. It is clearly appreciated by those who are seen as the intended audience.

Your post would have people believing that the exploits of Ye, Lochte and Sun were completely ignored. They were not - the BBC put emphasis in each case on the size of the achievement. You clearly have a strong dislike of Britain and a fear of British self-confidence and success, maybe you should simply write it in your sig so you can move onto posting about other topics other than how much of a shambles you think anything related to the British effort in these games is?

If Wiggins doesn't win gold you can be sure of them finishing with less than 25 golds. What about that girl Pendleton is she favourite for gold as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

To make Cavendish's defeat even more bitter, the eventual winner was previously banned for doping.

He's had an unbelievable burden of expectation, not surprised he's a bit tetchy.

Well I didn't watch it, but this is problem I have with some of the commentary, I know they say this happens in all host countries, but the whole things still off putting. My big fear is when they're so wrapped up in team Geebee, nothing else matters and I hope that isn't the case and I'm sure they're not all like that. It reminds me of euro 96 when a lot of the non-England games didn't sell out because nobody else cared about the foreign teams lol.

Football fans in "prefering to spend their money on watching their country play ahead of other nations" shocker. Are you for real?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

All the little Irelanders are back with their voyeuristic review of how British Tv covers British Athletes for British people.

All the little Irelanders are back with their voyeuristic review of how British Tv covers British Athletes for British people.

The BBC broadcast their signal into Ireland, I have every right to comment on it and be critical of it, as I am of the RTE coverage, get over yourself.

Well I for one want GB to win as many medals as possible and view the BBC as the best broadcasters of the Olympics available to me.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what effect Cavendish's failure to deliver will have on Team GB overall. The BBC were so cocksure they never considered the fact that he might lose. (which is what makes the BBC worse than most other broadcasters) The Prime Minister, Camilla Charles Boris Johnson where all waiting at the end for the 'hero' :D There is a view that they rule the world in cycling because of Bejing. The pressure on B. Wiggins to perform now in the timetrial will be immense and could backfire. They were at it again on the highlights programme, 'he's a certain gold' :rolleyes:

If you dont like how British tv covers their British Olympics for British people then stop watching it on British tv. It is on RTE, shock horror.

And Wiggins is a 4/9 favourite to win and absolutly smashed the opposition in the Tour De France time trials. If he stays on his bike he is almost certain to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

my own highlights from the opening and day 1 are:

the music in the second half of the opening
    the olympic flame, great idea to have a petal for all 205 countries, that they will take home with them
    the wimmens beach volleyball
    the Irish boxers winning so comfortably
    the Irish gymnast, so brave and a nice story
    the last second Italian archery win
    the bulgarian gymnast in his 6th olympics
    the latvian/Irish rower

damn I started writing and theres just so many golden moments, pardon the pun... so the 2 that stand out for me are:

the beautiful and talented Katie Taylor carrying our flag
    the fact that 205 countries and their flags come together in peace, under the banner of sportsmanship, and our little Island is included.

The BBC broadcast their signal into Ireland, I have every right to comment on it and be critical of it, as I am of the RTE coverage, get over yourself.

You know the irony is is that there's plenty criticism of the coverage and the hype from BRITISH forums. I'm regular poster on digitalspy and there's PLENTY of threads complaining about the olympics "not watching it" "can't wait for it to be over" "too much hype" "overrated rubbish", and nobody really cares and criticises thos people.

Yet if you don't lick the queens arse on here you're accused of being anti-British, a republican, bitter,, chip on your shoulder 800 years etc. Personally I'm not patriotic to any country so I take the p*ss out of them all. I thought this country was equally pathetic when Henry handballed it asking for another game etc, and then being called anti-Irish etc.

Personally I think patriotism sucks and I hate the concept of nationalism full stop, but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

my own highlights from the opening and day 1 are:

the music in the second half of the opening
    the olympic flame, great idea to have a petal for all 205 countries, that they will take home with them
    the wimmens beach volleyball
    the Irish boxers winning so comfortably
    the Irish gymnast, so brave and a nice story
    the last second Italian archery win
    the bulgarian gymnast in his 6th olympics
    the latvian/Irish rower

damn I started writing and theres just so many golden moments, pardon the pun... so the 2 that stand out for me are:

the beautiful and talented Katie Taylor carrying our flag
    the fact that 205 countries and their flags come together in peace, under the banner of sportsmanship, and our little Island is included.

If you dont like how British tv covers their British Olympics for British people then stop watching it on British tv. It is on RTE, shock horror.

I love it, great all round entertainment. ;)
    And Wiggins is a 4/9 favourite to win and absolutly smashed the opposition in the Tour De France time trials. If he stays on his bike he is almost certain to win.

It's a race, like today's, anythig can happen. There wasn't one presenter on the Beeb who talked down Cavendish's chances. A good broadcaster will reflect the doubt and the certainty. Like the RTE football panel, they will call it as they see it, often disagreeing with each other. That's why they are streets ahead of the beebs football pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Your big fear? Get over yourself, mate.

Pretty much every session in pretty much every sport sold out blind a year ago. It's grossly unfair to imply that no-one in London cares about anyone other that the British team.

I saw the 'offending' segment and all that happened was that the girl who came fifth, who was a genuine rare British medal hope in one of the swimming events having clocked a time in the trials which would have got her a medal today, got interviewed after the race. That was it. And yet apparently that is jingoistic. :rolleyes:

The BBC will give focus to the British athletes. RTE will give focus to the Irish athletes. NBC will give focus to the American athletes. Don't like it? Watch the other channel.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    To make Cavendish's defeat even more bitter, the eventual winner was previously banned for doping.

He's had an unbelievable burden of expectation, not surprised he's a bit tetchy.

Why is he tetchy? Because he is giving his honest opinion on how the race went when asked a question?

No other nation attempted to front the peleton in order to close the gap with the breaking group. Many had the ability but simply not the ambition. Why? because it would have benefited the best sprinter in the world. These nations had no desire to do anything but stop Mark Cavendish win the race. The British gave it everything they had but a five man team, even with the likes of Froome, Wiggins and Millar, simply couldn't have enough influence on the race. Other nations (Germany) can't say the same.

Its refreshing to see athletes have the honesty to say such a thing if asked a direct questionreally. Its certainly not bitter or tetchy.

How does that work? You don't pay the licence fee. If you've an issue with the BBC signal being broadcast here then I'd suggest taking that up with UPC and Sky.

Someone definitely does need to get over themselves.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That was it. And yet apparently that is jingoistic. :rolleyes:

I don't know if that was jignonistic because I didn't watch it, I said that. I haven't watched most of it, infact I've avoided anything British related (and even Irish), the tennis and volleyball is all I've watched.
    Beefy78 wrote:

Yeah you by the sounds of it, we're just joking and taking the p!ss and you're getting uptight, why don't you just ignore it? Jeez.

bwatson wrote: »
    Why is he tetchy? Because he is giving his honest opinion on how the race went when asked a question?

No other nation attempted to front the peleton in order to close the gap with the breaking group. Many had the ability but simply not the ambition. Why? because it would have benefited the best sprinter in the world. These nations had no desire to do anything but stop Mark Cavendish win the race. The British gave it everything they had but a five man team, even with the likes of Froome, Wiggins and Millar, simply couldn't have enough influence on the race. Other nations (Germany) can't say the same.

Its refreshing to see athletes have the honesty to say such a thing if asked a direct questionreally. Its certainly not bitter or tetchy.

Two riders, with no team support came first and second. GB got their tactics wrong and the hunt is on in the Beeb to blame somebody else, because they have egg on their face.
    There they are at it again on the World News, right now......'British riders are programmed for victory' :rolleyes: Better call in the software techs! :D

And RTE devote a lot of coverage to how Irish athletes are doing, it'd be ridiculous to expect otherwise.
    Your whole self-loathing British person thing is just boring and irrelevant to the thread tbh.

It's a race, like today's, anythig can happen. There wasn't one presenter on the Beeb who talked down Cavendish's chances. A good broadcaster will reflect the doubt and the certainty. Like the RTE football panel, they will call it as they see it, often disagreeing with each other. That's why they are streets ahead of the beebs football pundits.

:pac: Well then they must be blind because those dinosaurs see a whole different game to rest of the world. RTEs football panel is tabloid trash. Its sensationalism at its worst, made for the Little Irelander drinking "scoops" in the pub, with "De Ladz" and his premier league jersey on.

• Advertisement

I don't know if that was jignonistic because I didn't watch it, I said that. I haven't watched most of it, infact I've avoided anything British related (and even Irish), the tennis and volleyball is all I've watched.

I know you said that. I read your post. Yet without seeing the 'offending' segment you felt qualified to talk about it.
    Yeah you by the sounds of it, we're just joking and taking the p!ss and you're getting uptight, why don't you just ignore it?

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? :confused:

outside of the Brit-media fed hype the rest of the world is distinctly underwhelmed, especially by the over-hyped embarrassing opening ceremony to which that Bufoon Boris said and I quote "we tore spots off Beijing's" ??????!

Get real you clown! When all the Brit-tabloid fed hype dies down most sensible people will realize just how 2nd rate, cringe-worthy and amateurish it really was.

i sincerely Irish people wake up to the fact that just because they are near neighbours, we are quite entitled to call it as we see it, ie Typical Brit claptrap!:D

Beefy78 wrote: »
    How does that work? You don't pay the licence fee. If you've an issue with the BBC signal being broadcast here then I'd suggest taking that up with UPC and Sky.

I live on the border, it comes in on my ariel whether I want it or not. If somebody sends me a bill I'll pay it.

Right lets get back on topic, too many "patriots" taking too much offense to everything on here.

Swimming has 4 gold events every day till sunday is that correct? So plenty of medals there for Britain to collect still.

I noticed Murrays out of the doubles, guess that might help him in the singles, plus he has a good track record of winning 3 set tournaments.

:pac: Well then they must be blind because those dinosaurs see a whole different game to rest of the world. RTEs football panel is tabloid trash. Its sensationalism at its worst, made for the Little Irelander drinking "scoops" in the pub, with "De Ladz" and his premier league jersey on.

Do you think it was good sports journalism to do what they did before the cycling race or not? Is that what you expect of 'good' sports journalism, to not countenance the possibility of defeat? I can understand the Sun indulging in it, considering the demographic that buys that, but is it right for the BBC to be engaging in it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement