Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It's those on here who seem to have a problem even acknowledging it exists and happens more and more.

no one is denying it...its the BBC of course they're going to biased towards british competitors just like RTE is biased towards irish competitors

do you ever listen to the likes of jimmy magee he soooo biased its embarrassing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I've already said I enjoy it as I do watching any overly cocky athlete getting toppled. :D It's those on here who seem to have a problem even acknowledging it exists and happens more and more.

Well you and others are acknowledging it more than enough for everybody bloody else.

Anyway, any Irish competing now?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

K-9 wrote: »
    Well you and others are acknowledging it more than enough for everybody bloody else.

The dressage is the only thing on now that might have Irish competing. Women's road race on soon though.....are there any Irish riders in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's not me getting all huffy about it. :D

All the sure win Irish performing today.;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056713490

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Where's the men?
    I think I'd rather leave that to someone else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

There were two irish swimmers since 10 o'clock but they both did very badly

posted this earlier but here it is again

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2012/0729/331011-olympics-day-2-when-are-the-irish-in-action/

Grainne Murphy at around half 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Football starts at 12, on until 10pm, looking forward to watching brazil and team gb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Samich wrote: »
    We did badminton, bitta shotput and there was cross country done for the province too. I think it's a shortage of athletics clubs around the place.

I'd have loved to have played badminton or table tennis.

There're buckets of athletics clubs around the place, there's at least 3 within a 20 minute drive of my hometown. You can't make people join them though.

Having a lot of problems with various sites to watch the games, gonna go home tomorrow to a house with a working tv and watch them all day to make up for it!

There were two irish swimmers since 10 o'clock but they both did very badly

one of them drowned i heard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by Samich
    We did badminton, bitta shotput and there was cross country done for the province too. I think it's a shortage of athletics clubs around the place.

I'd have loved to have played badminton or table tennis.

I know there are Badminton clubs in Dublin anyway. I have a friend who has played since her 20s, she is in her 40s now and still shapely and very fit. Its a very good all round exercise.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I know there are Badminton clubs in Dublin anyway. I have a friend who has played since her 20s, she is in her 40s now and still shapely and very fit. Its a very good all round exercise.

yep, its great excersise you shed the pounds

you sweat like a pig playing it and table tennis too

I miss Gary O'Toole for his swimming analysis he really could make it interesting.

Ian Thorpe on the BeeB is alright I suppose.

I miss Gary O'Toole for his swimming analysis he really could make it interesting.

ya who's that serious lookin baldy guy RTE have?? he's scary lookin

He was on with Bill O'Herlihy last night, is he not working full time on the Olympics with RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Intend to flick around between all stations, wish RTE would throw a small symbol up when there is an Irish competitor.

Or a countdown to the next Irish competitor.

Intend to flick around between all stations, wish RTE would throw a small symbol up when there is an Irish competitor.

Or a countdown to the next Irish competitor.

I'm sorry but that idea is far too useful/helpful to even be considered, you should hang your head in shame :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's not me getting all huffy about it. :D

All the sure win Irish performing today.;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056713490

I'm not the one obsessed with British TV coverage! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

He was on with Bill O'Herlihy last night, is he not working full time on the Olympics with RTE?

I been looking for him, I hope they get him, he is so knowledgeable and he great to listen to, easilly the best sports pundit I ever heard.

But I am glad he is making some contribution.

• Advertisement

I'm not the one obsessed with British TV coverage! ;)

Have a look back through the thread and read the range of comments reacting to a lighthearted comment. :rolleyes:

Grainne Murphy swimming next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

That was terrible. Eric the eel would have given her a go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Grainne Murphy swimming next

Well that wasn't great....:(

Yeah, very dissapointing by the Irish swimmers - do we have a chance of medals in any event, apart from the boxing obviously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Can't stand him. He's an arrogant fecker. All to willing to wail on his countrymen for small things when he wasn't that great shakes himself. He was really unjustly critical on Colin Louth the year he swam

Edit: the wiki on Colin tells me Nick O Hare was critical of Louth. My memory was it was Gary O Toole, however I may be confused

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

it should be a very good final, Becky Adlington will have a lot to do to get in the medals.

Can't stand him. He's an arrogant fecker. All to willing to wail on his countrymen for small things when he wasn't that great shakes himself. He was really unjustly critical on Colin Louth the year he swam

HUH
    He has "5" Olympic gold medals plus 2 silvers and a hoard of world championships.

Jasus you have some high standards.

Yeah, very dissapointing by the Irish swimmers - do we have a chance of medals in any event, apart from the boxing obviously?

Andrzej Jezierski (sprint C1 200 meters) Tori Pena (wemons pole vault)

Derval O'Rourke, will this be her time to get a medal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Needs more archery!!

A sport I have never watched before these olympics, but have to say, enjoyed it a huge amount

HUH
    He has "5" Olympic gold medals plus 2 silvers and a hoard of world championships.

Jasus you have some high standards.

What are you on about ? He doesn't have any Olympic medals:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_O%27Toole

What are you on about ? He doesn't have any Olympic medals:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_O%27Toole

Apologies I thought you were referring to Ian Thorpe.

As for Gary O'Toole whenever I listened to his commentary he seem to eat and breathe swimming he knew all the athletes their times and the techniques and he could express that enthusiasm which I always found interesting.

But different horses I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

Andrzej Jezierski (sprint C1 200 meters) Tori Pena (wemons pole vault)

Derval O'Rourke, will this be her time to get a medal.

You are having a laugh, surely.

Just love the Olympics. People who usually have interest in sport suddenly becoming experts and then whipped up into some sort of a nationalistic fervour. Every country's the same, wherever you are in the world. The local media will big up that country's medal chances. Ireland is no different.

Katie Taylor should win as she has shown repeatedly she is the best at her weight. However, as we all know nothing is certain and anything can happen and many short priced favourites have come unstuck. As for the male boxers, Nevin has a good chance of medalling, the others less so.

I can see Taylor getting a gold and Nevin a silver at best.

I'll be surprised if we can get anything more than 2 medals but if we do, good luck to them. The argument is brought out every 4 years, as a nation we have been woeful in ever taking sport seriously beyond the stranglehold the GAA has. Despite that, the GAA has been a bedrock in rural areas for decades and in some areas, is an integral part of what binds the community together. I just think we should have been a bit more enterprising in the past in promoting and giving financial support to other sports.

Great entertainment so far, from the quirky opening ceremony to the large crowds out yesterday supporting the road race. There's a lot more to come, I'd just think we'd enjoy it more for personal performances if we didn't get too uptight about national achievements or non-achievements.

Apologies I thought you were referring to Ian Thorpe.

As for Gary O'Toole whenever I listened to his commentary he seem to eat and breathe swimming he knew all the athletes their times and the techniques and he could express that enthusiasm which I always found interesting.

But different horses I suppose.

Alls I remember is one of them (O'Toole or O'Hare) had a go on air at Colin Louth for not taking a year out of college and sitting his finals the year of his olympics. This when Louth was getting no financial support for his swimming etc (this was in 2000 - I think noone was getting funding for swimming then because of some scandal)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Watching a bit of Olympic handball now. GB vs Montenegro... GB currently losing 19-13

It looks like a properly fun sport actually

It is! It's a popular enough game in the primary schools in Galway as is handball (two different games so they are. Well, they are in Ireland anyway!). I played in goal for my primary school in OH. Unfortunately, they were only ever friendly games and there was no league.
    Anyone wrote: »
    Needs more archery!!

A sport I have never watched before these olympics, but have to say, enjoyed it a huge amount

They do archery in Clondalkin! It's not as easy as it looks. The bow would take the hand off ya...

Egypt should be 2-1 up now after going 1-0 down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Love watching the olympic handball. We used to always play it at soccer training last season, great for finding space and for movement!

I seen a closed thread on the Beach Volleyball.

You heard it here first, that is not were the real Olympic totty compete.

Take a look at the women's court volleyball, you have these Amazonian tightly clad svelte beauts jumping up and down, getting my blood stirring.

Just watch it, you will be convinced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have all the Irish female swimmers swam all their heats? There are 3 Irish female swimmers like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Hot Italian judo girl!!

• Advertisement

cricketfan wrote: »
    You are having a laugh, surely.

Just love the Olympics. People who usually have interest in sport suddenly becoming experts and then whipped up into some sort of a nationalistic fervour. Every country's the same, wherever you are in the world. The local media will big up that country's medal chances. Ireland is no different.

Katie Taylor should win as she has shown repeatedly she is the best at her weight. However, as we all know nothing is certain and anything can happen and many short priced favourites have come unstuck. As for the male boxers, Nevin has a good chance of medalling, the others less so.

I can see Taylor getting a gold and Nevin a silver at best.

I'll be surprised if we can get anything more than 2 medals but if we do, good luck to them. The argument is brought out every 4 years, as a nation we have been woeful in ever taking sport seriously beyond the stranglehold the GAA has. Despite that, the GAA has been a bedrock in rural areas for decades and in some areas, is an integral part of what binds the community together. I just think we should have been a bit more enterprising in the past in promoting and giving financial support to other sports.

Great entertainment so far, from the quirky opening ceremony to the large crowds out yesterday supporting the road race. There's a lot more to come, I'd just think we'd enjoy it more for personal performances if we didn't get too uptight about national achievements or non-achievements.

Am I now, so who the fook died and made you chairman of the committee, you fire out a few well known facts, and this makes you ehh,

so you think the Polish guy who is now competing for Ireland has no chance at all, little is known about Tori Pena, the nature of the games can throw up strange results as the athletes tend to out perform their normal standard,

this is why we get world records and Olympic records broken, but yes the Irish are pure gombeens, how very dare we to think we might be better than the next.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    It is! It's a popular enough game in the primary schools in Galway as is handball (two different games so they are. Well, they are in Ireland anyway!). I played in goal for my primary school in OH. Unfortunately, they were only ever friendly games and there was no league.

They do archery in Clondalkin! It's not as easy as it looks. The bow would take the hand off ya...

Egypt should be 2-1 up now after going 1-0 down!

I have done archery myself, 70 pound draw and my release strap failed, I actually dropped myself, very weird feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

How in the name of jaysus are Egypt not winning this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

leahyl wrote: »
    Have all the Irish female swimmers swam all their heats? There are 3 Irish female swimmers like

Nah Murphy and Nocher still have their main events (800 free and 200 back) coming up. Not sure what's up with Murphy. She was awful this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I have done archery myself, 70 pound draw and my release strap failed, I actually dropped myself, very weird feeling.
    Wha? I don't know what that is but it sounds painful.

The Italy-US gold medal match yesterday was dramatic, Italy winning with a 10 on the final arrow, great entertainment.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Wha? I don't know what that is but it sounds painful.

The Italy-US gold medal match yesterday was dramatic, Italy winning with a 10 on the final arrow, great entertainment.

yes it sure was, considering the USA were the favourites, the singles competition should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

When does the Athletics start? And what happens if it starts pissing rain during the beach volleyball?

Watching Marty Morrisey commenting on beach volleyball - priceless :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On a flat road anything from 40 to 60 Kph depending on weather conditions, wind etc. Descending a mountain or steep hill well Sean Kelly has been clocked at close to 108 Kph :eek:
    Camera motorbikes with the big engines and great brakes just can't keep up.
    Samich wrote: »
    Dangerous ;) Tyre could burst or anything :P
    A lot safer than being in traffic, and at those speeds a cycling helmet is just an aerodynamic hat

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement