Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

leahyl wrote: »
    Swimming cap?!

I hear it makes them run faster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

BBC are doing a losers compilation to Benny Hill music. A bit mean really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Shryke wrote: »

:eek:

:eek:

I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

They just showed 2 people, 1 swimming and 1 rowing who were behind the others by a lot. Im sure they feel bad enough with what happened never mind the BBC taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Last Boxing tonight was quite good

14-13 To the happy clappy jappy chappy:D

I know!

Then they rant on about and do a 5 min montage about Paula Radcliffe crying because she can't compete because her arthritic foot the docs have been telling her not to run on since the 90's meant she has to pull out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

They just showed 2 people, 1 swimming and 1 rowing who were behind the others by a lot. Im sure they feel bad enough with what happened never mind the BBC taking the piss

The guy in the boat looked delighted to finish, say it took a huge effort to get this far. It's an achievement in itself. Fair play to him :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I thought that and Linekers German comment was extraorinary. Past masters at the superiority crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Despite having some excellent commentators and presenters, I always feel like the producers in their sports dept are really trying to appeal to as many dimwits as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Its a pity that phelps dropped out of 200m to focus on relay only to win silver. Tbh I thought that lochte should have done better in the last 100 m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The guy in the boat looked delighted to finish, say it took a huge effort to get this far. It's an achievement in itself. Fair play to him :)

The Niger rower sums up the saying "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts"

I've been searching for a video of the race and couldn't find one. This report sums up the support he got though :)
    http://www.supersport.com/olympics/rowing/news/120729/Nigerien_rower_crawls_home_to_roaring_crowd

Despite having some excellent commentators and presenters, I always feel like the producers in their sports dept are really trying to appeal to as many dimwits as possible.

It's the BBC - BRITISH broadcasting corporation, what do you expect?
    Any other host nation broadcaster would be the same

I've actually been very impressed with the reception the Irish athletes have gotten from the British public, from the opening ceremony on, every Irish athlete is well supported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Agreed. Its a great segment but why the music? It was the same last night with different jokey music. They should be celebrating these moments not joking about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

The Niger rower sums up the saying "it's not the winning but the taking part that counts"

I've been searching for a video of the race and couldn't find one. This report sums up the support he got though :)
    http://www.supersport.com/olympics/rowing/news/120729/Nigerien_rower_crawls_home_to_roaring_crowd

you might need to fix your post westendgirlie.

• Advertisement

It's the BBC - BRITISH broadcasting corporation, what do you expect?
    Any other host nation broadcaster would be the same

I've actually been very impressed with the reception the Irish athletes have gotten from the British public, from the opening ceremony on, every Irish athlete is well supported.

No.The BBC have an obsession with 'personalities'. Look at Lineker, he really shouldn't be the lead presenter for this but he gets the gig by being the most recognisable face. The German joke was an example of his lack of gravitas.

The reception for the Irish athletes has been very good, I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You do know Niger is a country in Africa?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I thought he was from Niger not Nigeria ?

And by making a mockery of his and others efforts, the BBC p**sed all over that concept.

• Advertisement

No.The BBC have an obsession with 'personalities'. Look at Lineker, he really shouldn't be the lead presenter for this

So he's Ireland's version of BillO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And by making a mockery of his and others efforts, the BBC p**sed all over that concept.

Indeed. They would do well to look at their own failings (specifically the awful job they did covering the men's cycling yesterday) before making a mockery of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You do know Niger is a country in Africa?

I thought it was Niger's, but then I am wrong most of the time.

And not a word of innuendo about the 15 year old Lituanian girl winning in similar style......because her coach was British and she trains in Plymouth :rolleyes:

I thought he was from Niger not Nigeria ?

I think he was trying to insinuate that you made some kind of black man joke

Billo's doing a good job on the Olympics, I think. I think he is genuinely more passionate about it than the football.

The summarisers for the different sports are really much more clued in than Dunphy/Giles on football and Hook in rugby, which helps too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'm watching the Judo at the moment (a recording.) It looks like some amount of fun. Throwing people about and rolling around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

No.The BBC have an obsession with 'personalities'. Look at Lineker, he really shouldn't be the lead presenter for this but he gets the gig by being the most recognisable face. The German joke was an example of his lack of gravitas.

What was the German joke?

You still wouldn't get the RTE turning the Olympics into a poor version of "you've been framed. It's the Olympic games for fcuks sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats a nice story :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

And not a word of innuendo about the 15 year old Lituanian girl winning in similar style......because her coach was British and she trains in Plymouth :rolleyes:

RTE were also questioning it, and the other girl was less suspicious because she was only in a 100m race, she didn't suddenly find a burst of energy in the last 100 of a 400m race

How long will you be persisting with the 'light hearted' criticism?

He went along the lines of 'just to cheer you up, the Germans are still yet to win a medal'.

Somehow, I think British viewers are more focused on their own athletes doing well, than thinking about the Germans.

God knows what the eejit had going on upstairs when he came out with that protestant comment. You can't not take that as him intimating something in a bad minded fashion.

They were talking about GBs lack of medals and then he said to cheer everyone up at least Germany have none.

It was either him thinking he's in a football studio

or

He was alluding to that Britain's main competitors for 4th place in the medals table is Germany (and Australia)

God knows what the eejit had going on upstairs when he came out with that protestant comment. You can't not take that as him intimating something in a bad minded fashion.

Imagine the outrage if Gary Lineker said "Its always been considered a catholic sport" :pac:

keith16 wrote: »
    You still wouldn't get the RTE turning the Olympics into a poor version of "you've been framed. It's the Olympic games for fcuks sake.

You'll also wouldn't get RTE showing live coverage of EVERY single event. But you WOULD get ad breaks on the live events they do show :rolleyes:

Tox56 wrote: »
    RTE were also questioning it, and the other girl was less suspicious because she was only in a 100m race, she didn't suddenly find a burst of energy in the last 100 of a 400m race

RTE asked the question outright, they didn't engage in the sly innuendo that Balding and her sidekick engaged in. If there is a question to be asked spit it out and back it up.

And this isn't a BBC v RTE thing.

You'll also wouldn't get RTE showing live coverage of EVERY single event. But you WOULD get ad breaks on the live events they do show :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Tox56 wrote: »

How long will you be persisting with the 'light hearted' criticism?

The time she did in the last 100m was incredible. Apparently is was only a fraction of a second off the time Ryan Lochte swam his last 100m in. Thats pretty crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I actually quite like the RTE analysis, gives an experts opinion on sports most of us know f*ck all about, plus they use former Olympians from here which is nice.

Anyway, Gary Lineker will be obliterated!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Imagine the outrage if Gary Lineker said "Its always been considered a catholic sport" :pac:

It was a fair enough comment in the context of what he was asking the lady, why had it emerged as a popular game. He did say, 'When I was growing up....' which is what it was, a game mostly played by the Protestant community....similar to Rugby and Cricket. No biggie unless you are easily offended.

I agree, that was wrong

K-9 wrote: »
    I actually quite like the RTE analysis, gives an experts opinion on sports most of us know f*ck all about, plus they use former Olympians from here which is nice.

Anyway, Gary Lineker will be obliterated!

Are you tired of ordinary crisps? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Hi lads, just wondering what would the best way to catch up on the Olympics that I have missed today and yesterday that ye would use-kind of like a highlights sort of thing. I find RTE coverage to be fairly poor and very few clips are making there way on to youtube. Thanks!

I don't think it's that bad either, given the resources.
    O'Herlihy always says that his 'style' is to ask the questions a layman might ask. He definately adopts that style on the football panels and it works quite well to draw out the panel. It can get tiresome sometimes though.

• Advertisement

It wouldnt be the first time he came out with something like that

"What is the point of calling in Stokes when somebody like Reid is sitting playing golf or something in Sunderland."
    Italia 90 was my favourite tournament by some distance. It wasn't regarded as a great World Cup by an awful lot of the serious pundits. From our point of view, however, it was the first time we'd ever qualified and the atmosphere was fantastic, as I said earlier. The drama was brilliant too. You'll remember the time Dunphy threw his biro across the studio in disgust. You see he had a point and Giles was very much in his corner. They believed that, while we had gone a long way under Jack Charlton, the team was actually better than Jack allowed it to play. They always felt that the team could have gone much further than it did. The argument Dunphy was making about Ireland's 0-0 draw with Egypt was that we hadn't played to our capabilities. That was part of the drama. However, it was totally subsumed by the celebratory nature of the time. The other occasion that I look back on fondly, again from an Irish perspective, would be the match against Italy at Giants Stadium in 1994. I was talking to Ray Houghton about the game. He said that when the Irish team walked out on the pitch they could not believe that of the 75,000 in the crown, nearly all of them were Irish. This was just outside New York and it was a place that should have been crawling with Italians. It was an amazing thing to watch and it was amazing to see Ireland winning. I think that had Ireland played all their games in the northern parts of the US, rather than down in Orlando where they were overcome by the heat, they might have done an awful lot better. The heat beat them rather than anybody else.

Well Bill is getting like the ould racist grandad in the corner that everybody puts up with, but far more entertaining than Lineker.

I suppose Britain made a national hero out of Eddie the Eagle for mediocerity but I admire anybody who can say they competed in an Olympics.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

It was a fair enough comment in the context of what he was asking the lady, why had it emerged as a popular game. He did say, 'When I was growing up....' which is what it was, a game mostly played by the Protestant community....similar to Rugby and Cricket. No biggie unless you are easily offended.

And Hockey! It was a complimentary question. He obviously knows the game is gaining more competitors and I'm sure he rehearsed it with the analyst. It's a hey, look badminton is a fast growing sport, not bad publicity considering we'll probably not see it to the next Olympics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And this isn't a BBC v RTE thing.

No, its a lets scrutinise everything said and done by the BBC to pick out everything we can to have a go at them thing.

And Hockey! It was a complimentary question. He obviously knows the game is gaining more competitors and I'm sure he rehearsed it with the analyst. It's a hey, look badminton is a fast growing sport, not bad publicity considering we'll probably not see it to the next Olympics!

Reminds me of the Apres Match sketch on BBC NI sports presenting: 'Onto Hawkey nahw!' :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement