Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

No, its a lets scrutinise everything said and done by the BBC to pick out everything we can to have a go at them thing.

I think my own critisism is valid enough. It's years of hard work and training for an athlete to get to the Olympics. To be mocked with a fast forward cam and Benny Hill music is really terrible. I'm thinking about an athlete who might watch such footage, their family and friends. Their nation even. It's very bad form and it deserves to be called out. It was disrespectful.

The Beeb are doing well with coverage imo. I just didn't like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

I'm a hell of a lot younger than Bill and when I was growing up, not too far from Ms. Magee, badminton was played mostly by protestants and still is. The problem is the only place to play in a lot of rural communities is the local church or orange hall. The catholic children join the GAA, protestant children play badminton, hockey and rugby .. this is still the norm in this neck of the woods :) Not entirely sure how anyone can be offended by what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Are the Japanese female gymnasts tiny or are they children?

25, 22, 21, 19, 16. They actually have one of the oldest teams. Gymnastics stunts growth until about the age of 18/19, but Japanese aren't renowned as being tall in the first place. China's team are always suspect because of how young they look, but they are all 20. One of the stars of the 1996 Olympics grew almost a foot after. Anyway, 'normal' gymnast height is under 5ft. There have been several 4'4 and under. It makes the skills much easier. By contrast, America's team is the youngest. 18, 17, 17, 16, 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shryke wrote: »
    I think my own critisism is valid enough. It's years of hard work and training for an athlete to get to the Olympics. To be mocked with a fast forward cam and Benny Hill music is really terrible. I'm thinking about an athlete who might watch such footage, their family and friends. Their nation even. It's very bad form and it deserves to be called out. It was disrespectful.

I didnt see it but I assume its the "underdog of the day" segment or somesuch that they had yesterday too?

It's a lighthearted take on the things that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No, its a lets scrutinise everything said and done by the BBC to pick out everything we can to have a go at them thing.

Aren't we very senistive? I've been watching it non stop since day one, if I was picking out everything, it would be a long thread. If you don't want to engage with a comment, don't. There is plenty to choose from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Indeed, they could have also mentioned with that piece that he only took up the sport 3 MONTHS AGO, plus the fact that Niger have a fraction of the budget to spend on rowing compared to the wealthy nations, GB, USA, Germany, etc

I didnt see it but I assume its the "underdog of the day" segment or somesuch that they had yesterday too?

It's a lighthearted take on the things that happened.

With the Benny Hill music and speeded up footage, it's mockery, plain and simple.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Indeed, they could have also mentioned with that piece that he only took up the sport 3 MONTHS AGO, plus the fact that Niger have a fraction of the budget to spend on rowing compared to the wealthy nations, GB, USA, Germany, etc

The Olympics is supposed to be a forum where the elite level athletes compete to be the best in the world. You'd have to question why they have people that are so far off the pace. It's a bit condescendign by the IOC tbh .Like patting the poor little lads on the head and sending them in with the adults for the laugh.There are people sat at home watching the games that have dedicated their lives to these sports but missed out by a few tenths of a second in qualifying.

Like sending out a guy 4 years ago to swim that looked like he might drown at one stage, and on his own to make it a proper spectacle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

plus the fact that Niger have a fraction of the budget to spend on rowing compared to the wealthy nations, GB, USA, Germany, etc

No need to be racist man

The Olympics is supposed to be a forum where the elite level athletes compete to be the best in the world. You'd have to question why they have people that are so far off the pace.

that makes no sense, people qualified to get there, they are the best in the world.
    Sure why not make it like the champions league where the 4th best get into the "elite":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Olympics is supposed to be a forum where the elite level athletes compete to be the best in the world. You'd have to question why they have people that are so far off the pace. It's a bit condescendign by the IOC tbh .Like patting the poor little lads on the head and sending them in with the adults for the laugh.There are people sat at home watching the games that have dedicated their lives to these sports but missed out by a few tenths of a second in qualifying.

If they're not from Niger then what you're saying doesn't have much point in it.
    I understand what it is you're saying but it doesn't mean an unprepared athlete should be ridiculed after making the effort to join the games and really put themselves out there. The crowd cheered on like crazy which was amazing to see and heart warming but the BBC just made an awful joke from it. I won't go on because it's late.
    I look forward to tomorrow. Night guys.

The Olympics is supposed to be a forum where the elite level athletes compete to be the best in the world. You'd have to question why they have people that are so far off the pace.
    Yes and No. I can understand some people being annoyed they were denied qualification because this guy was entered - but those same people would just be fighting to get out of their heats and not necessarily medal contenders.

Anyway, the IOC have a duty to try promote these sports in less developed countries - otherwise it just becomes a medal wankfest between the G8 nations.
    No need to be racist man
    Huh? Niger? Thought that joke was done earlier

that makes no sense, people qualified to get there, they are the best in the world.
    Sure why not make it like the champions league where the 4th best get into the "elite":rolleyes:

Heres a line from the wiki page of Eric Moussambani, the swimmer from Beijing.

"Moussambani gained entry to the Olympics without meeting the minimum qualification requirements via a wildcard draw designed to encourage developing countries without expensive training facilities to participate"

He had never even been in a 50m pool before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

WTF is a medal wankfest?

WTF is a medal wankfest?

See who can spunk the furthest?

Anyway, the IOC have a duty to try promote these sports in less developed countries - otherwise it just becomes a medal wankfest between the G8 nations.

Throwing a few no hopers in that finish miles off the pace in the first race doesnt change anything other than to reduce the risk of an upset by having one less fringe athlete. If anythign it makes sure the medals stay with the established group of countries/athletes.

Encourage and maybe part fund these guys to compete in more regular events or even world championships in the hope to grow the sports if they are serious. A couple of token jestures every 4 years to show how hopeless they are wont do it.

WTF is a medal wankfest?
    Kind of like the game soggy biscuit.....except with medals....

Throwing a few no hopers in that finish miles off the pace in the first race doesnt change anything other than to reduce the risk of an upset by having one less fringe athlete. If anythign it makes sure the medals stay with the established group of countries/athletes.

Encourage and maybe part fund these guys to compete in more regular events or even world championships in the hope to grow the sports if they are serious. A couple of token jestures every 4 years to show how hopeless they are wont do it.

The point is, it doesn't excuse the BBC for making a mockery of them.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

WTF is a medal wankfest?

I'm not exactly sure, but by the sounds of it I think there are a few boards posters that would medal at it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

another disappointing day for the hosts.
    a silver & bronze hardly much to write home about.:p

Encourage and maybe part fund these guys to compete in more regular events or even world championships in the hope to grow the sports if they are serious. A couple of token jestures every 4 years wont do it.
    Oh I do agree there should be a lot more done in regards investment in these sports in developing nations.

Ireland also benefit from the IOC policy of limiting numbers of athletes from a nation competing in an event. I'd be awful bored if the swimming finals comprised of 6 US + 3 Chinese.

its actually about inclusivity more than anything else. Many of the smaller countries wouldn't be able to send any athletes to the games if they had to reach the qualifying standard.

People too would complain if poor countries were excluded from the games.

Ireland also benefit from the IOC policy of limiting numbers of athletes from a nation competing in an event. I'd be awful bored if the swimming finals comprised of 6 US + 3 Chinese.

The finals will more or less be the best 8 in a given event and has been shown , theres a lot more than just the americans and chinese.

Having someone finish a minute and a half behind in a 3 minute race in the 1st heat adds nothing and desnt change things at the top end. As before, it may make it less competetive by takign out a fringe athlete that at least had an outside shot of upsetting the established names .

its actually about inclusivity more than anything else. .

It is when it suits them. I had to laugh at Rogges' speech at the opening ceremony saying how great it was that eveyrone had women athletes, only stopping short of having a peasant girl come out and pat him on the back (to save him actually having to do it himself) after they spent years ignoring all sorts of inequality and abuses in various countries and just hoping thy'd sort themselves out.

It is when it suits them. I had to laugh at Rogges' speach at the opening ceremony saying how great it was that eveyrone had women athletes, only stopping short of having a peasant girl come out and pat him on the back (to save him actually having to do it himself) after they spent years ignoring all sorts of inequality and abuses in various countries and just hoping thy'd sort themselves out.

I can't take Rogge seriously tbh. Certainly not after his declaration that the IOC were all working class. Give me a break, I suppose thats why they demanded Locog give them the entire 5 star Hilton (on Park Lane no less) for the duration of the games, and a fleet of air conditioned chauffeured vehicles for their use. Not to mention his declaration that the games were "coming home", I wonder what the Greek delegation made of that overly effusive BS.

The games idea is great, its values and ideals are noble, but the IOC falls far short of the standard it has set itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Tickets sent to foreign VIPs go on the black market.

Foreign VIP's not turning up. :eek:

It must be the weather. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

I think the man needs mocking!

To take up the sport three months ago having barely trained for it and then to enter the Olympic games, competing against athletes who have dedicated years upon years and sacrificed so much for the opportunity to compete is in my opinion either totally arrogant or completely ignorant.

I wouldn't even dream of competing in a university race if I was so hideously under prepared so as not to make a complete mockery of the importance of the event, god forbid the greatest show on earth!

I can't take Rogge seriously tbh. Certainly not after his declaration that the IOC were all working class. Give me a break, I suppose thats why they demanded Locog give them the entire 5 star Hilton (on Park Lane no less) for the duration of the games, and a fleet of air conditioned chauffeured vehicles for their use. Not to mention his declaration that the games were "coming home", I wonder what the Greek delegation made of that overly effusive BS.

The games idea is great, its values and ideals are noble, but the IOC falls far short of the standard it has set itself.

I think he said that sport was coming home, which was fair enough when yiu consider the importance Britain played in the re-establishment of the Olympic Games and the wider contribution it has made to the world of sport. I think it can very easily be argued Britain is one of the world's true sporting hearts.

another disappointing day for the hosts.
    a silver & bronze hardly much to write home about.:p

Your obsession with Britain is bizarre.

You obviously have a strong resentment yet are utterly unable to think of anything else. Most here couldnt care less about them, why do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The point is, it doesn't excuse the BBC for making a mockery of them.:rolleyes:

Hardly a mockery. Britain adores a loser. Always has done.

• Advertisement

bwatson wrote: »
    Your obsession with Britain is bizarre.

You obviously have a strong resentment yet are utterly unable to think of anything else. Most here couldnt care less about them, why do you?

No no, did you not read his posts? He wants them to do well.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Like sending out a guy 4 years ago to swim that looked like he might drown at one stage, and on his own to make it a proper spectacle.
    bwatson wrote: »
    I think the man needs mocking!

To take up the sport three months ago having barely trained for it and then to enter the Olympic games, competing against athletes who have dedicated years upon years and sacrificed so much for the opportunity to compete is in my opinion either totally arrogant or completely ignorant.

I wouldn't even dream of competing in a university race if I was so hideously under prepared so as not to make a complete mockery of the importance of the event, god forbid the greatest show on earth!

The reason they do this is to promote sport in developing countries. For example the swimmer a few years back who took about twice as long as everyon else - he was from Equatorial Guinea - a country without an olympic swimming pool - he trained in a 20m hotel pool for only 8 months havingand hadn't even seen a 50m pool before the olympics. He was his countries first swimmer.

But thats the point. Now his country has had an olympic swimmer. He did his swim in a time of 1:52.72.. The world record was 47.84 at that time.
    4 years later he was doing time of about 57seconds. Which is decent actually. He is now his nations national swim coach.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani

I'd say he's a pretty successful guy actually. Legend in fact.

He also gives me the satisfaction of knowing I could have beaten him in that race (though the 57 seconds time for years later would ahve been touch and go) :pac:

The reason they do this is to promote sport in developing countries. For example the swimmer a few years back who took about twice as long as everyon else - he was from Equatorial Guinea - a country without an olympic swimming pool - he trained in a 20m hotel pool for only 8 months havingand hadn't even seen a 50m pool before the olympics. He was his countries first swimmer.

But thats the point. Now his country has had an olympic swimmer. He did his swim in a time of 1:52.72.. The world record was 47.84 at that time.
    4 years later he was doing time of about 57seconds. Which is decent actually. He is now his nations national swim coach.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Moussambani

I'd say he's a pretty successful guy actually. Legend in fact.

He also gives me the satisfaction of knowing I could have beaten him in that race (though the 57 seconds time for years later would ahve been touch and go) :pac:

Yeah, I talked about him a few posts back. Whats the state of Equatorial Guineas Olympic swimming programme with their no 50m pool at the minute? There are loads of ways to encourage the growth of a sport without taking the piss at the pinnacle event of the sport. As I said they could encourage and maybe part fund these athletes going to some regular season events.

You dont see San Marino chucked in to the World Cup to give them a "boost".

There are qualifying standards everyone should have to meet, otherwise why not just put everyone we like in? Sure Ian Thorpe could be in the pool instead of doing analysis for the BBC. Who cares if someone that swam faster than hi has to watch from home.

Yeah, I talked about him a few posts back. Whats the state of Equatorial Guineas Olympic swimming programme with their no 50m pool at the minute? There are loads of ways to encourage the growth of a sport without taking the piss at the pinnacle event of the sport. As I said they could encourage and maybe part fund these athletes going to some regular season events.

You dont see San Marino chucked in to the World Cup to give them a "boost".

They have tonnes of money they don't need a boost.
    They weren't taking the piss. They were giving the guy a platform. It worked out both for him personally and apparently his country.

By your logic the Jamaicans would never have been allowed into the winter olympic to run the bob sleigh. We all know how awesome that worked out!

Its all part of the olympic mission.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

anyone remember Eddie the Eagle ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%22The_Eagle%22_Edwards
    Another problem was that he was very farsighted, requiring him to wear his glasses at all times, even though when skiing they fogged to such an extent that he could not see. Eddie was informed of his qualification for the Games whilst working as a plasterer and residing temporarily in a Finnish mental hospital due to lack of funds for alternative accommodation
    In the 1988 Olympics, Edwards competed in, and finished last in, both the 70m and 90m events

note: Edwards was the best ski jumper in the United Kingdom, setting a British record of 73.5 m in one of his Calgary jumps in 1988

Oh GO ON MCMAHON

LEGEND!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Right what have we go to look forward to today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Go on McMahon! Absolutely insane breaststroke length

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yep if you feel the need to put 'Democratic' in the title it's usually a bad sign.
    Those old enough may remember East Germany, the 'German Democratic Republic' -always confused me in school that one.
    It's far worse if the name starts with Democratic

Democratic Kampuchea
    Democratic Republic of Congo

"The Peoples Republic" is another bad sign
    China
    Mongolia
    Korea
    Cork

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Go on McMahon! Absolutely insane breaststroke length

Oh wow heat 3 was very fast :/

Hopefully mcmahon gets a semifinal place

• Advertisement

Not enough for McMahon but what a performance.

Ye coasts to victory. I really hope she's clean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

In general, yeah. Gary Lineker is AWFUL though, a total smartarse. And believe me, I'd be saying that if he was Irish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't mind Lineker, maybe because he was a huge hero of mine growing up. The rest of the BBC football panel I can't stand though. Especially Garth Crooks and Mark Lawrenson.

I saw something on twitter last night saying that if Mark Lawrenson found a £50 note on the floor he'd complain about litter. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

some people were complaining to rte that lisa kearney our judo competitor wasn't show live on rte 2 saturday morning at 11pm, wasn't shown till 45 minutes later.

rte 2 broadcast the mens judo, while presumably the irish competitor match was happening on the next area

rte don't control the feed, so its down to the whim of the director what will be put into the feed?

you might not be even able to see it online

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't mind Lineker, maybe because he was a huge hero of mine growing up. The rest of the BBC football panel I can't stand though. Especially Garth Crooks and Mark Lawrenson.

I saw something on twitter last night saying that if Mark Lawrenson found a £50 note on the floor he'd complain about litter. :pac:

I love mark lawrensons dry humour, always makes me laugh

Lawrenson is so annoying though, do they really have no-one better to co-analyse the game he adds nothing in terms of insight

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Not enough for McMahon but what a performance.

Ye coasts to victory. I really hope she's clean...

Just watched McMahons' post swim interview - she was really tough on herself -wow I'd say she'll just get better and better yet!

Ye - wow yes I hope she is clean - if only to see her beating the mens times in the next few years :eek:
    But colour me suspicious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Haha what did he say?

I'm still fascinated that the commentator in that match told us that the shuttlecock was made with feathers from the left side of a goose.

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    Haha what did he say?

I'm still fascinated that the commentator in that match told us that the shuttlecock was made with feathers from the left side of a goose.
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/shaundohertyshow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement