Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bill said that ..."when i was a lad badminton was a protestant sport"

don't think he meant in a sectarian way, but it just sounded crass esp in this day and age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Anyone wrote: »
    Haha what did he say?

I'm still fascinated that the commentator in that match told us that the shuttlecock was made with feathers from the left side of a goose.

It was a leading question to get his guest to talk about the development of the sport in Ireland....'When I was growing up babminton was seen as a Protestant sport.....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Chinese are fantastic on the beach volleyball.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It was a leading question to get his guest to talk about the development of the sport in Ireland....'When I was growing up babminton was seen as a Protestant sport.....'

And people are going mad about that comment? Thats funnier than the actual comment!

• Advertisement

Anyone wrote: »
    And people are going mad about that comment? Thats funnier than the actual comment!

On FAcebook anybody can go mad and frequently do! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hope this hasn't being posted already but sure just in case

http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/28/interactive-panorama-inside-the-opening-ceremony/

A gigapan photo of the opening cermony of the olympics. Hours to great voyeuristic zooming fun to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Plazaman wrote: »

http://olympics.time.com/2012/07/28/interactive-panorama-inside-the-opening-ceremony/

A gigapan photo of the opening cermony of the olympics. Hours to great voyeuristic zooming fun to be had.

Meh too blurry to spot hotties :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Jeez, the sailing is well confusing. I have no idea what all the lines on the screen are about in the one man boats. And the two man boats, they are all going in different directions

:confused:

Oh Ireland just went trough the finish line, I think in 4th or 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

just looking back at the opening ceremony, when they had a bit at the start of choirs from each part of the uk, with clips of rugby teams scoring tries, why did they show noel mannion's try v wales? he's from galway.
    surely enough people from north of the border have scored for ireland to find one clip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Jeez, the sailing is well confusing. I have no idea what all the lines on the screen are about in the one man boats. And the two man boats, they are all going in different directions

:confused:

Oh Ireland just went trough the finish line, I think in 4th or 5th

They were 4th, great result. Really sets them up to do well this afternoon.

There are two races today, and imagine two every day bar the last day when there'll be three. Eleven races raced, something like six, seven or eight of your best results counted. The less races raced overall (because of weather conditions messing stuff up) the less races you get to discard from your final result.

I don't know what stream your watching but I imagine the lines will be some of the following. One line would be wind speed, fairly obvious to know why. Another line will be which boat is in front and a line will be drawn out of them parallel to the mark they have to go round. This is helpful, but there could be a boat much closer to the mark on the perpendicular but further behind on the parallel. The closer you get to the mark in parallel the more important it is to be closer perpendicularly. Another line could be coming straight through the boat, from stern to bow and sticking out a bit. This will show the absolute direction of the boat. This is important because it lets you compare who is pointing more towards the mark they're all about to go about.

The course in sailing (there can be a few but a basic one) would be one mark up the course where people would have to go straight into the wind to get to it, and another straight down the course where you go perfectly with the wind to get to it. Obviously because the wind is a natural phenomenon you can't control it so these marks won't be in exactly the right place to be into and from the wind. And because the boats have to zig zag back and forth to get where they're going one particular zig might be faster than the other zag because of the way the wind is changing.

There's a lot of other things to it but that's basically it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Just watched McMahons' post swim interview - she was really tough on herself -wow I'd say she'll just get better and better yet!

Ye - wow yes I hope she is clean - if only to see her beating the mens times in the next few years :eek:
    But colour me suspicious....

Don't blame ya. It's hard not to be suspicious. There is a damn lot of people questioning her and the Chinese don't exactly have the best past record with doping in swimming.

Looking forward to the swimming tonight Phelps qualifies in third, another gold going to slip away?

Plazaman wrote: »

She's only half the woman she used to be. :D

215118.jpg

Hewitt and Roddick through in tennis, good to see the veterans playing well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Does any one know what's happening with the eventing? Delayed...seems like it could be an injury??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Is our badminton player on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

keith16 wrote: »
    Does any one know what's happening with the eventing? Delayed...seems like it could be an injury??

The Canadian women was down any way. They showed her on the ground(she was conscious) and then the horse off rambling around.

That horse stuff is so boring. Watching water polo now. Tough viewing really. Not very exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hannah Craig didnt do too well in the kayaking

But neither has anyone else so far. I don't now how many more runners there are but it seems the person in first place did a blinder.

Our badminton player playing world number 2 now. G'wan the underdog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Currently, she can do no worse than 16th, and she's wearing #16, so she's exactly in line with her seeding.

Maybe she'll have a better 2nd run.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Currently, she can do no worse than 16th, and she's wearing #16, so she's exactly in line with her seeding.

Maybe she'll have a better 2nd run.

Top 16 qualify right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Lyaiera wrote: »
    But neither has anyone else so far. I don't now how many more runners there are but it seems the person in first place did a blinder.

A bit obvious.

daveyeh wrote: »
    A bit obvious.

Not really. She could have barely made first place. She could have done very poorly compared to her normal standard. Instead she did extremely well for someone of her seeding, and up until right after the Irish woman she was 9 seconds ahead of her nearest rival.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Top 16 qualify right?

15. She's currently 13th, with one more to go.

This guy on the badminton commentary is more boring than the most boring priest. Get the basketball guy on!

She finishes 14th in the first run, but everyone gets a second shot, so she will probably need a better second run to stay in the top 15.

And just to add that her seed number is 15, not 16 as I stated earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Evans making a bit of a come back but he's up against 2nd in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Two 1st place finishes for the Annalise Murphy in the Sailing. That's some going considering there were 40 others competing against her. They still have 6 more races or something like that though so she's still got a long way to go.

• Advertisement

This diving is an unbelievable standard. GB just outside medals as we stand

She finishes 14th in the first run, but everyone gets a second shot, so she will probably need a better second run to stay in the top 15.

And just to add that her seed number is 15, not 16 as I stated earlier.

Hannah qualifies for the semis! :)

Was her second time much faster?

8.08 seconds faster.

8.08 seconds faster.

Wow, that's good going. Great news.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hmmm Thai girls are doing well in ladies weightlifting (58Kg)

oops spoke too soon.

Looks like China have another gold 138Kg , (10Kg in the lead)

going for new record ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

US coach calls Ye Shiwen's superfast swims "disturbing"

From the Guardian:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/30/ye-shiwen-world-record-olympics-2012

I really hope that young girl hasn't been doping. It was genuinely unbelievable to watch though.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    US coach calls Ye Shiwen's superfast swims "disturbing"
    They are keeping samples for 8 years.

Should be interesting to see how many athletes give a sigh of relief in 8 years time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Watch whatever you want to watch here:
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

list of what sport is on which camera: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html

has anyone else had trouble with that site? I just get a black screen, green play button in the middle and a green/white thing circling around it, but clicking play does nothing on any of the feeds. I'm using chrome if that makes any difference...:( help appreciated!

Hanna Craig just squeezed in, in the Canoeing

Watch whatever you want to watch here:
    http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/index.html

list of what sport is on which camera: http://www.eurovisionsports.tv/london2012/epg/index.html

has anyone else had trouble with that site? I just get a black screen, green play button in the middle and a green/white thing circling around it, but clicking play does nothing on any of the feeds. I'm using chrome if that makes any difference...:( help appreciated1
    Don't have any other tabs open, seems to be problematic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

has anyone else had trouble with that site? I just get a black screen, green play button in the middle and a green/white thing circling around it, but clicking play does nothing on any of the feeds. I'm using chrome if that makes any difference...:( help appreciated1

never worked for me on chrome...switch to firefox it works on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Tried it on firefox, working now, thanks a million!

[Rant] Fencing is on BBC Olympics 17
    - not 5 or 24 like advertised on other websites,
    and still no clues on the BBC website [/rant]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

[Rant] Fencing is on BBC Olympics 17
    - not 5 or 24 like advertised on other websites,
    and still no clues on the BBC website [/rant]

press the red button and then choose what sport you want to watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I love the Olympics,i wish i could compete in the next one,one can dream!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Drama at the fencing!!

press the red button and then choose what sport you want to watch?
    Kinda difficult unless you have SKY or 'freesat'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Chagan wrote: »
    Drama at the fencing!!

have never watched this sport before so feel compelled to give my expert opinion on it. The clock clearly went down to zero, think korea have a case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I love the Olympics,i wish i could compete in the next one,one can dream!

Don't worry, there's always the special olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

keith16 wrote: »
    have never watched this sport before so feel compelled to give my expert opinion on it. The clock clearly went down to zero, think korea have a case.

I agree with you. That last second went on for way too long. I'd say the timekeeper is at fault here. Don't know how they're going to sort it out though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement