Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Huge drama at men's gymnastics team finals..USA tanked, GB get silver! Unheard of for GB to do so well, delighted. In fact they beat Japan, the gold favourites. Just amazing, they were expected to place around 5th and would have been happy with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Chagan wrote: »
    I agree with you. That last second went on for way too long. I'd say the timekeeper is at fault here. Don't know how they're going to sort it out though.

Do you know much about the sport? Why did the second bout get cut short? The last round was great to watch, especially when they were both going hell for leather in the last few seconds!

The stadium announcer has just been on to say that it could take a while to sort out also....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Kinda difficult unless you have SKY or 'freesat'

You shouldnt be allowed have a television so.:)

Had only sat down and started choosing my event to watch and the missus rang me to say of the drama in the fencing. have it on now. Anyone give me the3 low down?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Team GB have silver in the mens gymnastics. More a case of the Japanese losing their silver medal and slipping down to 4th though. China gold again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Stewarts enquiry though. ........

"The Korean coach is out of his box" :D

Chaos everywhere

Had only sat down and started choosing my event to watch and the missus rang me to say of the drama in the fencing. have it on now. Anyone give me the3 low down?

It was tied going into the last bout. Timer ticking down from 1 second to zero was stopped at least 4 times (play was restarted 4 times in other words) as neither competitor could land the decisive blow.

This happened again and the clock went down to zero. But the ref ordered another restart saying there was still one second. At this point, the German (who had been doing most of the attacking) landed the winning blow.

South Korea coach goes mad (rightly so IMO) saying that they played with one second on the clock at least four times and now they are trying to sort it out for the last 15 mins with the score board still showing 5-5.

Stadium announcer came on to say it could take a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

What an achievement for team GB in gymnastics!

What way does fencing work with draws? Would it have been extra time? I'm assumign if the German hadnt got the point it was a draw?

I'm envoking my German passport and sayign the German should get it. :)

cgpg5 wrote: »
    What an achievement for team GB in gymnastics!

They could be pushed to 3rd, can they? Hopefully not.

Any word on the fencing? Watching the Gymnastics waiting for the result to see if GB keep the Silver.

EDIt, GB pushed to 3rd. Hard luck.

What way does fencing work with draws? Would it have been extra time? I'm assumign if the German hadnt got the point it was a draw?

I'm envoking my German passport and sayign the German should get it. :)

Sorry, I should have said it was level coming into Extra Time........it was level after 3 bouts. Not sure what happens if it was still a draw after the ET bout.

They could be pushed to 3rd, can they? Hopefully not.

Yeah very disappointing. But a medal nonetheless. Crowd don't like it :pac:

• Advertisement

Is this a final or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

keith16 wrote: »
    Do you know much about the sport? Why did the second bout get cut short? The last round was great to watch, especially when they were both going hell for leather in the last few seconds!

The stadium announcer has just been on to say that it could take a while to sort out also....

I know as much about it as you do unfortunately. I think the referee can cut short a bout if they feel the competitors aren't making the effort to actually fence, presumably to stop somebody taking the lead and just standing back. Commentators were talking bout it earlier.

Giving 'priority' to somebody in a tie-break just seems stupid to me anyway. Why not just make it a sudden death bout with no time limit. First to make single contact wins. That stops things getting messy like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Crowd probably doesn't know what happened

Is this a final or what?

Semi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

keith16 wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have said it was level coming into Extra Time........it was level after 3 bouts. Not sure what happens if it was still a draw after the ET bout.

One of the contenders is randomly selected prior to the sudden death bout. If it's still level after that, the person chosen wins by default.

It's completely stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can't believe the brits were just shoved down to 3rd place because the japs kicked up a fuss!

They've given it the German girl.

One of the contenders is randomly selected prior to the sudden death bout. If it's still level after that, the person chosen wins by default.

It's completely stupid

That's daft. They have given it to the German now anyway....

leahyl wrote: »
    Can't believe the brits were just shoved down to 3rd place because the japs kicked up a fuss!

What happened there? I flicked over from the fencing and they were all standign around waiting for the result.

Never thought I'd ever be intrigued by fencing. Olympics I love you!!!

They cant just leave her sitting there crying.

Who was the sprinter again that lay on the track in protest and wouldnt move a few years back? One of the Americans wasnt it?

Gutted for the poor Korean woman. Where's her coach gone?

South Korean girl is absolutely distraught...sitting there on the platform on her own.

Are they all just standing around in the wings whistling in the hope she'll eventually shuffle off?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Indoor volleyball is on 16

• Advertisement

What happened there? I flicked over from the fencing and they were all standign around waiting for the result.

One of the japenese team messed up on the pommel horse and got a really low score so the Brits ended up getting silver and Ukraine bronze but then the japs appealed against it and it was just overturned and now Brits are back to
    Bronze and Ukraine get nothing!

The only way they could make this worse is if the put up the North Korean flag now. :)

Jeepers feel awful for her.

Are they all just standing around in the wings whistling in the hope she'll eventually shuffle off?

Announcer just on now to say that if she leaves the "piste" she accepts the decision of the "directeur generál". What drama! What beautiful poetic drama!

They can hardly overturn it now can they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

What are ye on about with the korean girl? What happened??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

They cant just leave her sitting there crying.

Who was the sprinter again that lay on the track in protest and wouldnt move a few years back? One of the Americans wasnt it?

The only one I can think of is Decker but I don't think it was her (mind you it was in her DNA)

Shut my mouth, she was not a sprinter.

Indoor volleyball is on 16

Good old 16! Never fails to entertain!

The only one I can think of is Decker but I don't think it was her (mind you it was in her DNA)

Jon Drummond. Couldnt think of the name,

"t the 2003 World Championships, he was disqualified in the quarterfinals of 100 m for a false start. However, he contested that he did not false start, repeatedly shouting "I did not move". He delayed competition for almost an hour by refusing to leave the Paris track where the meet was being held. He protested for a period of time by lying down on the track. He eventually left the track of his own volition, reportedly in tears. It is one of a number of cases which relate to the revised false-start policies"

Fun starst a couple of minutes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Hitler would be turning in his grave, (has he got one)

The fencing could take a while. Over to the swimming!

The fencing could take a while. Over to the swimming!

I'm already switched. Whos the last one left that has to stay and let us know what happens in the fencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This one's giving sad Keanu a run for his money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

They were right, Uchimura DID dismount, just wonky so they took it as a fall and took off a point. A point makes a massive difference. Wasn't sure myself but went back and watched, they were right to appeal. It's amazing GB medalled at all, dissapointed for them but absolutely gutted for Ukraine. This is the judges fault, not Japan's.

Ha just switched over to the fencing lads. More drama. Announcement that Korea have to pay money (yes you read correct!!!) to make an appeal. What a bizarre thing to announce out loud. Crowd don't like it.

• Advertisement

They were right, Uchimura DID dismount, just wonky so they took it as a fall and took off a point. A point makes a massive difference. Wasn't sure myself but went back and watched, they were right to appeal. It's amazing GB medalled at all, dissapointed for them but absolutely gutted for Ukraine. This is the judges fault, not Japan's.

Fair enough :-) I'm no expert on gymnastics but the judges shouldn't have made such a huge mistake to begin with - true, at least the Brits still get a medal unlike Ukraine :-( that's a bit annoying for them to say the least

Agnel!!! By half the track...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

No medal for lochte in the 200m free final. Angel (sp?) of France 1st with park of Korea and sang of china tieing for silver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Agnel!!! By half the track...

Talk about grabbing a race by the balls!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Crap :( Had money on Sun :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement