Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

irish stew - USA, GB. Germany, South Korea, Italy, Ukraine, Japan, Netherlands, Brazil, Kenya

There ya go :) added to main list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

We need to add sme type of AH type bets on this olympic league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What time is the opening ceremony tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What time is the opening ceremony tomorrow?

9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Is this Olympics the first of its kind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Is this Olympics the first of its kind?

In what respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

Its a wonder Sebastian Coe hasn't campaigned for Beckham to be given the honour. :rolleyes:

It really is sickening to read the Brit tabloid media's outrage over him being omitted from the GB team. If the fcuker wants to be involved that badly maybe they could ask him to join the understaffed street cleaning crews. Have him out at 6am every morning in a high vis jacket mopping puke off the pavements.

The Beckham Effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Are you going to ring your bell?

Bell ringing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tbh I have no interest in the Opening Ceremony, I know people like it but I just want the games to get underway. I know they have them in football too but usually there is a game on straight afterwards, we have to wait for tomorrow morning for it to really start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Live relatively near the Olympic stuff, didnt hear any bells :( Didnt know about it till a few minutes before actually until I checked Twitter.. oops!

Tis a bit busy alright here, lots of tourists and volunteers wanderng around looking lost..I''ll visit the Olympic Park on the 9th to see Katie Taylor ger her gold, but until then I'll probably watch most on the telly. Expecting a bit of noise and fireworks tonight so might get some photos from the bridge near me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 dreddredd

Last night walking down my street I met Joseph Murphy from the equestrian team, really nice guy and very down to earth wish them well and have the flag flying in Greenwich for them.

Speaking of living next door to an Olympic venue, we have CCTV, security barriers, rapier missiles and a war ship parked beside us, they are taking security very strict.

dreddredd wrote: »
    Last night walking down my street I met Joseph Murphy from the equestrian team, really nice guy and very down to earth wish them well and have the flag flying in Greenwich for them.

Speaking of living next door to an Olympic venue, we have CCTV, security barriers, rapier missiles and a war ship parked beside us, they are taking security very strict.

Surface to air missiles on the tower block near us and orders to disperse groups of two or more yoovs.. security is everywhere, quite Big Brother-ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

somehow or another i cant see this olympic's crack catching on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

kfallon wrote: »
    Tbh I have no interest in the Opening Ceremony, I know people like it but I just want the games to get underway. I know they have them in football too but usually there is a game on straight afterwards, we have to wait for tomorrow morning for it to really start.

I love watching the teams parade. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sea Filly wrote: »

Olympic teams parading are like farts....you can only stand your own :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Sea Filly wrote: »

Brings out the Lee Harvey Oswald in me

CNN guide to London

Weird hearing the bells this morning, do they still ring them on Sunday mornings as I can't recall hearing them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think all this hysteria about London coming to a standstill seems to be scaring people into working from home. Waterloo station was far less busy than usual this morning, and the roads were nearly deserted around Battersea.

I guess next week is the real test, but I'd be surprised if there are any real issues.

Blisterman wrote: »
    I think all this hysteria about London coming to a standstill seems to be scaring people into working from home. Waterloo station was far less busy than usual this morning, and the roads were nearly deserted around Battersea.

I guess next week is the real test, but I'd be surprised if there are any real issues.

Maybe lots of Londoners have booked their holidays to coincide too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

South Korean archers set a new world record this morning.
    Im Dong-hyun, who is legally blind, broke his own 72-arrow mark of 696 by three points and was also part of a record in the team shoot.

Impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

After living and working abroad you can see the investment other countries have made in sports as a vehicle for tourism, local infrastructure and business opportunities for their populations.

Not surprised the Brits are milking this for all it is worth and hope it really pays and provides a sustainable legacy for probably one of the poorer areas of Western Europe, that part of East London. That and the great entertainment we will all witness over the next 2 weeks.

If someone in Ireland at the advent of the Celtic Tiger had realised that the investment in sports other than the GAA, might have provided even only a small percentage of the legacy London hopes for, Ireland could have been well placed to benefit more from these games, never mind the positive health and social benefits of a more active, fitter society. No, we had the laughable comments from that FF idiot O'Donoghue who was Sports Minister at the time, expecting that teams would locate here in significant numbers because we were close to London, even though our Sports infrastructure was almost to third world levels.

All we are left with is a number of participants who for the most part have just reached the qualifying level. Move on 2 weeks and watch the media here debate why we are no good on the international sporting stage. This debates come up every four years.

Also, it has to be laughable, we can only have serious contenders in a sport where you have to knock the ****e out of somebody else.

I think we should revel in just witnessing the achievements to come but not really bother about all this nationalistic rubbish. The trouble is most will watch with that nationalistic perception only.

cricketfan wrote: »
    I think we should revel in just witnessing the achievements to come but not really bother about all this nationalistic rubbish. The trouble is most will watch with that nationalistic perception only.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I NEVER watch the Olympics from a nationalistic point of view. I just love watching world-class athletes do their thing. Is it necessary to denigrate boxing though? I'm not really a fan, but surely you could dismiss any sport in a single glib sentence?

Lots were encouraged to take holidays during the Olympics and those who didnt are encouraged/some told to work from home. The street on my way to work this morning (East London, two stops from the epicentre) at 8:30 was deserted; I actually checked my watch thinking maybe I had slept in an hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Lots were encouraged to take holidays during the Olympics and those who didnt are encouraged/some told to work from home. The street on my way to work this morning (East London, two stops from the epicentre) at 8:30 was deserted; I actually checked my watch thinking maybe I had slept in an hour!

You're supposed to take your holidays! :mad:

Samich wrote: »
    You're supposed to take your holidays! :mad:

I landed office cover role but means two sweet weeks off in September, oh yeah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Bags packed and off this evening to watch women's air rifle in the morning. Should be a good trip!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What are the odds of the opening ceremony eventually "Breaking it down" into some kind of London black yoof culture rap and breakdance type thing? Was just watching the handover from Beijing to London with the dancing and the bus etc, scarlett for them. I've not much interest I just hope the tubes aren't too busy, I like the weightlifting though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not what I was expecting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Your topic
    is sooooo misleading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Full marks for thread title!

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What are the odds of the opening ceremony eventually "Breaking it down" into some kind of London black yoof culture rap and breakdance type thing? Was just watching the handover from Beijing to London with the dancing and the bus etc, scarlett for them. I've not much interest I just hope the tubes aren't too busy, I like the weightlifting though.
    Def gonna be some yoovs breakdancing and rapping. I guarantee it. Folks are going mental over here for it like its gonna be spectacular. I'm a pure cynic like and Bejing will be hard to beat; even just looking at the Birds Nest compared to the stadium here.. Im sure it wil be pretty amazing but there's that cynic hanging about in me ;)

Funny video doing the rounds by the way of Jeremey Hunts bell end hitting a lady.. On phone so can't link. I giggled, a lot.

They'll prob have Diversity or someone in it :(

God he is such a tool

What like somebody who is opposed this, don't be daft Lord Coca Coe has sorted all that out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What like somebody who is opposed this, don't be daft Lord Coca Coe has sorted all that out
    Sorry folks, just read Diversity are in the show.

You're joking right?

Ahhhhhh.

They keep using that young lad with the afro like "oh he's so young with an afro and he's so good".

Go away. :mad:

You're joking right?

Ahhhhhh.

They keep using that young lad with the afro like "oh he's so young with an afro and he's so good".

Go away. :mad:
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/az-of-the-olympics-3181174.html
    See 'd'.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

If it's not too late my numbers are
    19 14 13 11 18 17 05 03 06 04

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Team GB
    Team USA
    Team Rocket.
    Team ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

3 hours to go, any guesses as to who will light the flame? Seb Coe perhaps?

nice_very wrote: »

Take That.

Singing relight my fi-re in the process ;)

nice_very wrote: »

Take That.

Singing relight my fi-re in the process ;)
    G'wan Take That!! What's this numbers thing?

G'wan Take That!! What's this numbers thing?

Random numbers give you a list of countries and whoever gets the most medals wins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

can't wait for the ceremony..i'll be glued to the tv for the next 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Def gonna be some yoovs breakdancing and rapping. I guarantee it. Folks are going mental over here for it like its gonna be spectacular. I'm a pure cynic like and Bejing will be hard to beat; even just looking at the Birds Nest compared to the stadium here.. Im sure it wil be pretty amazing but there's that cynic hanging about in me ;)

I doubt it will be as spectacular. Beijing was incredible, but was a show off exercise. Tons of cash and bling. I would guess London will be a hell of a lot more meaningful in terms of a reflection of the country and culture. Someone who is impressed only by the bling, I would guess is going to be disappointed. But an opening ceremony 'arms race' can't go on forever!

But aside from that, London is absolutely rocking today. Just back from the South Bank, and was an amazing buzz...

AllWasWell wrote: »
    can't wait for the ceremony..i'll be glued to the tv for the next 2 weeks

I wish it was on longer than 2 weeks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Barney92 wrote: »
    If it's not too late my numbers are
    19 14 13 11 18 17 05 03 06 04

Your sound Barney. I'll post your countries up shortly :)

I am getting very excited. Wish I was back in my home town tonight!

• Advertisement

Your sound Barney. I'll post your countries up shortly :)

I am getting very excited. Wish I was back in my home town tonight!

Is that London? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement