Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Agnel!!! By half the track...

Was he involved in Frances 4 * 100 relay last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Korean fencer being ordered to leave now

She's not giving in though and seems to have the support of the crowd!

edit: She's gone. The head of the international fencing federation gently persuaded her to leave the stage. I feel really sorry for her... I think she had a case for disputing the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

keith16 wrote: »
    Was he involved in Frances 4 * 100 relay last night?

Yep he swam the fastest leg

Korean fencer being ordered to leave now

She's not giving in though and seems to have the support of the crowd!

edit: She's gone. The head of the international fencing federation gently persuaded her to leave the stage. I feel really sorry for her... I think she had a case for disputing the result.

If they start to form a circle it could get nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

What's the story with the korean? Can't see it on tv :(

Samich wrote: »
    What's the story with the korean? Can't see it on tv :(

she is over talking to the Japanese gymnast.

she is over talking to the Japanese gymnast.

Like what's all the controversy about? Did she get cheated or what?

Samich wrote: »
    Like what's all the controversy about? Did she get cheated or what?

She was drawing against a German in the last second of the sudden death round, and had it been a tie at the end she would have won. After the timer reached zero, the referee/timekeeper decided to add another second onto the clock and the German got the winning contact.

The last second of the contest lasted for about 5 seconds rather than the actual one sec it should have been!

Has Bill mentioned anything about swimming being a sport only played in large puddles when he was growing up?

• Advertisement

What do ye all make about Ye Shiwen and the doping?

I don't get why they can't test the medal winners after the race? Or do they?

She swam her last 50m faster than Ryan Lochte, for a 16 year old like. That's incredible.

What doping? I thought all medal winners were screened for that? :confused:

The fencing is back on now for anyone interested. Your one that just lost against the German is up against a Chinese woman for the bronze medal.

False start...........

New drugs that can be masked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Technical malfunction - How ?

She jumped in before everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Leave the bloody girl alone and stop asking stupid pointless questions. fair play to her. 15 years old. Wow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Those Russian jackets are lovely!

Lapin wrote: »

the starter never said get set and the gun went off, your primed to jump once you hear the gun and she did.

• Advertisement

Leave the bloody girl alone and stop asking stupid pointless questions. fair play to her. 15 years old. Wow

It is pretty unbelievable. No doubt, the girl has talent but doing a faster split than Lochte. If a girl had a faster 10 second over the course of a hundred metre s than Usain Bolt. Serious questions would be asked.

It is pretty unbelievable. No doubt, the girl has talent but doing a faster split than Lochte. If a girl had a faster 10 second over the course of a hundred metre s than Usain Bolt. Serious questions would be asked.

your mixing up your swimmers.

well someone is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Lapin wrote: »

As far as I know the buzzer went before the starter had said "on your marks". So she wasnt disqualified because the proper procedure wasn't followed.

Am I a heartless bastard or is their something just not quite right about that young Lithuanian one. Just seems to me like she knows she's doing something wrong or something by winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

What was it, 5 seconds off her personal best? I generally don't believe stuff like that, especially when it's coming from a country with a history of doping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

What doping? I thought all medal winners were screened for that? :confused:

The fencing is back on now for anyone interested. Your one that just lost against the German is up against a Chinese woman for the bronze medal.

All the medal winners have to submit for doping testing immediately after their event.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    As far as I know the buzzer went before the starter had said "on your marks". So she wasnt disqualified because the proper procedure wasn't followed.

Am I a heartless bastard or is their something just not quite right about that young Lithuanian one. Just seems to me like she knows she's doing something wrong or something by winning.

It was mentioned before the race that 2 american female swimmers won silver medals at the same discipline at the age of 14,

for some reason at that age they can have the perfect technique, but tend to lose the edge as they get older.

In saying that she did knock 3 seconds off her best time.

• Advertisement

I'm talking about the Lithuanian who just won the 100m. Ye- I'd have my doubts about indeed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is that Declan Ganley's cousin on the swimming programme with Bill. The spit of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

and the poor korean fencer wins nothing

kwestfan08 wrote: »

Harsh. She's 15 she's bound to be shocked. Was nothing in it, in the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

It's not like this is the first time when someone this young wins a gold medal and is doing alot better than older olympians. As far as I remember the youngest person to win a gold medal in Olympics was 12-13 yers old.

• Advertisement

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    It's not like this is the first time when someone this young wins a gold medal and is doing alot better than older olympians. As far as I remember the youngest person to win a gold medal in Olympics was 12-13 yers old.

NO NO, that was in the bath not the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is anyone else getting the odd "glitch" on BBC1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I have a couple of random questions that I'm hoping someone can answer.
    1. Why do some of the swimmers come out wearing huge head phones. Any idea what they might be listening to?
    2. Are they strict on the clothing the competitors wear. I ask because I was wondering why is it necessary for the divers to wear those very small speedos. Could they not wear the kind of long swim suits the swimmers wear. Ditto the female beach volleyball players. Do they have to wear those bikinis? I'm sure they'd be able to play just as well a bit more covered up.
    Anyway. Hope i don't come across as too prudish.

Serious last 50 metres from Phelps. Gonna tear it up in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Wow that lithuanian girl gold medal at 15 amazing , she was so good.

I'm glad Michael Phelps is into the butterfly final tomorrow he has to win :).

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    1. Why do some of the swimmers come out wearing huge head phones. Any idea what they might be listening to?
    2. Are they strict on the clothing the competitors wear. I ask because I was wondering why is it necessary for the divers to wear those very small speedos. Could they not wear the kind of long swim suits the swimmers wear. Ditto the female beach volleyball players. Do they have to wear those bikinis? I'm sure they'd be able to play just as well a bit more covered up.

1: to zone out the crowd, they are listening to their mothers..............if ya don't win don't come home,

2: they need the freedom for all the twisting and rolling they do,( plus they need to keep the wimmins happy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Beach volleyball has a fairly strict dress policy, effectively the contestants have to dress that way.

edit :
    Actually rules were relaxed recently and they could wear a little more if they wanted.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/03/olympic-beach-volleyball-dress-code-gets-a-makeover/1

I believe, its for them to stay in the zone. Not get psyched out by the crowd? I am not sure about the beach volleyball. Maybe it is part of the spirit of it.

From what little I know of diving, technique is taken into account when you are diving so it is advantageous for the judges to see the body, plus the moves they do in the diving would be awkward to do in a swimsuit!

Its mad, I am looking at the night sky in London on the TV and it is almost dark, it is still pitch bright here in Scotland

Delighted for Hannah Miley. Doing RGU proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Its mad, I am looking at the night sky in London on the TV and it is almost dark, it is still pitch bright here in Scotland

The sun sets about half an hour later in Aberdeen than in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

your mixing up your swimmers.

well someone is.

No...it's true. Her last 50 was faster than Lochte's last 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Harsh. She's 15 she's bound to be shocked. Was nothing in it, in the end!
    Darius.Tr wrote: »

Yeah fair enough. I suppose I've just been burned in the past to amazing athletic feats that turn out to be doping. Well done to her.

Yeah would think the headphones would be to keep them in the zone and focused or to pump them up by listening to their prefered music.

As for the beach volleyball, reading a profile of the sport in the magazine of saturday's Independent (purely to integrate myself fully with this noble sport you understand :)) there is the option of a one piece outfit for the women but its unpopular because with all the head first diving into the ground, the sand can go down the front and then collect at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Wow that lithuanian girl gold medal at 15 amazing , she was so good.

I'm glad Michael Phelps is into the butterfly final tomorrow he has to win :).

She lives in Plymouth and is coached by an English fella at Plymouth sc. He was just interviewed on bbc. He seemed bizarrely non-plussed by the whole thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone know when our boxers are out again please?

Ye sets a new OR. Shock horror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That Chinese one won another heat!! she's unreal :-O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

steve9859 wrote: »
    She lives in Plymouth and is coached by an English fella at Plymouth sc. He was just interviewed on bbc. He seemed bizarrely non-plussed by the whole thing!!

I liked that though! He didn't come across as if he made the gold medal being the trainer and all, he left all the credit to the swimmer which was right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The mens team gymnastic final has been the stand out event for me so far. It was a pity GB didn't get the silver in the end today.

• Advertisement

Chuileog wrote: »
    The sun sets about half an hour later in Aberdeen than in London.

The sun never comes out in Aberdeen though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement