Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Scandinavian ladies handball players....wow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

steve9859 wrote: »
    No...it's true. Her last 50 was faster than Lochte's last 50

Are you talking about the 15 year old Lithuanian girl who just won the gold?

That is what the original post was talking about, but for some reason it got mixed up with the Chinese girl, Shiwen Ye's swam faster than Lochte of the USA for the last 50m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Are you talking about the 15 year old Lithuanian girl who just won the gold?

That is what the original post was talking about, but for some reason it got mixed up with the Chinese girl, Shiwen Ye's swam faster than Lochte of the USA for the last 50m.

Yeh...sorry .these mixed up threads can get a bit confusing. Like an internet game of chinese whispers....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    Why do some of the swimmers come out wearing huge head phones. Any idea what they might be listening to?

Probably some relaxation tape. Sothing sounds of the ocean or the like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Anyone watching the flyweight boxing at the moment? A Kazak and Swede grappling almost like two kids in a school yard :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Kinda shit the way they don't show the boxing scores anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Anyone watching the flyweight boxing at the moment? A Kazak and Swede grappling almost like two kids in a school yard :D

They seem to be more interested in some sort of kickboxing or MMA. The SWE would have greater reach but KAZ just charges at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Seen a bit of this earlier on RTE2...hence the following -

"Beach volleyball abandoned after audience hears about the internet

THE Olympics’ main titillation-fest was left deserted yesterday after rumours spread through the crowd of something called the internet, where girls are entirely naked."

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/beach-volleyball-abandoned-after-someone-tells-audience-about-the-internet-2012073036232

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    2. Are they strict on the clothing the competitors wear. I ask because I was wondering why is it necessary for the divers to wear those very small speedos. Could they not wear the kind of long swim suits the swimmers wear.
    Very strict rules on the swimmers The London 2012 Olympics are to be the first in 16 years where swimmers will be forced to ditch their high-tech body suits and rely solely on technique.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

flyswatter wrote: »

It is but i feel its justified. I remember one of the Irish lads in the last Olympics pretty much running around the ring in the last round trying to not get hit because he knew he was ahead. It happened a lot and ruins the spectacle.

• Advertisement

Jaysus.. who would have thought that North Korea would be 3rd on the gold medal table after 3 days? Their women's football team are up against the US tomorrow... should be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Back to some beach volleyball. Austria are doing well against Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

flyswatter wrote: »

It will make it very exciting if they are close after 2 rounds. We get the scores after each round still though.
    It is but i feel its justified. I remember one of the Irish lads in the last Olympics pretty much running around the ring in the last round trying to not get hit because he knew he was ahead. It happened a lot and ruins the spectacle.

I wouldn't think knowing the score at the end of the second round would make that much of a difference.

Apparently they are trying to change the system after this Olympics and make it more like professional boxing. I'd say we'll still get controversial decisions!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Shryke wrote: »
    Back to some beach volleyball. Austria are doing well against Australia.

They had grand arses on them but that was all, ohhhhhh and a good volley.

good win from 3 match points down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Great night at the Aqua Dome tonight some brilliant races but again the empty seats are awful to see.

Barry Murphy was interviewed earlier and he said his family tried desperately for tickets since he qualified but to no avail and here we have row after row of empty seats. Terrible to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Jaysus.. who would have thought that North Korea would be 3rd on the gold medal table after 3 days? Their women's football team are up against the US tomorrow... should be good!

It's bizarre. Communist states seem to do well in the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Great night at the Aqua Dome tonight some brilliant races but again the empty seats are awful to see.

Barry Murphy was interviewed earlier and he said his family tried desperately for tickets since he qualified but to no avail and here we have row after row of empty seats. Terrible to see.

Good to know you're having fun down in Tralee ;)

Good to know you're having fun down in Tralee ;)

They had to get the blueprints from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Olympic watersliding is a sight I'd like to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

When you don't have to worry about elections you can put resources into 10/20 year sports plans with impunity, and not be overly unconcerned with hospitals, welfare, public transport, pensioners and the like.

Could you imagaine if Enda Kenny announced a 15 year plan to get a gold in the 2028 Olympics in Water Polo, at a mere cost of €2B in investment over those 15 years? Communist states can effectively do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

HazDanz wrote: »
    It was a pity GB didn't get the silver in the end today.

Why? It would have been worse if the Japanese hadn't got the silver medal they were entitled to due to poor officiating.

Namlub wrote: »
    Olympic watersliding is a sight I'd like to see

How would that work?

would it be like throwing water over ice and see who could get it to slide further,

or would it be like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz phewwwwww zzzzzzzzzz phewwwwwwww chug chug chug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'd imagine the prospects of being a priveleged national hero in the country where there is widespread malnourishment is fairly motivating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

GB womens volleyball on now, good game! Very hot too the womens team.

Samich wrote: »
    GB womens volleyball on now, good game! Very hot too the womens team.

Great match, and definitely one of my favorite sports in these Olympics. It's a really great game to watch.. and not just for the lovely bottoms!

Great game, and definitely one of my favorite sports in these Olympics. It's a really great thing to watch.. and not just for the lovely bottoms!

I love when they time the jump to hit the ball when it's at it's peak.

Samich wrote: »
    I love when they time the jump to hit the ball when it's at it's peak.

They must be wrecked at this stage. Great contest.. hard to believe that they've been at this for over two and a half hours!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Big congrats to GB volleyball team, that was thoroughly entertaining viewing.

They must be wrecked at this stage. Great contest.. hard to believe that they've been at this for over two and a half hours!

They did brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Meh

Anyway, when does the table tennis start?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

K-9 wrote: »
    Meh

Its been on since day one afaik

Meh

It's been on the last few days?

Meh

when the ref blows the whistle.

when the ref blows the whistle.

Made me laugh :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

One of the US Women's basketball players is called Destinee Hooker. Amazing.

• Advertisement

There's a jap volleyball player called "take****a" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

When is Katie having her first fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I thought the caste system had been outlawed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

maybe she plays rugby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

deisedave wrote: »
    When is Katie having her first fight?

Mon 6 Aug - 14:30

;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dutch women's hockey team seems to be full of gorgeous blonde women:eek:

Off all the live events that are on. RTE starts off with bloody highlights.

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

irish-stew wrote: »
    Off all the live events that are on. RTE starts off with bloody highlights.

:mad:

Try living in the US. NBC keep running spoilers for their delayed highlights.

Check out twitter #NBCFail

mens 100 freestyle.

:D

1st heat. Finishers 10-15 seconds off the WR. Reminded me of one of the swimmers who nearly had to be rescued in either the last or the previous olympics.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

nevermind the beach volleyball, its the womens Hockey is where its at...some fine looking women in it esp the dutch team... lovely tanned toned legs mmmmm :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

ARchery is gas to watch. Eddie Butler from the rugby is a good aul commentator too. However it is one of those sports you look at and say with a bit of practice I could do that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

cgpg5 wrote: »
    ARchery is gas to watch. Eddie Butler from the rugby is a good aul commentator too. However it is one of those sports you look at and say with a bit of practice I could do that :D

then u do it and make an arse out of yourself :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

markie29 wrote: »
    then u do it and make an arse out of yourself :(

I'd probably pull a feicin hammy or something just trying to lift up the bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

I think nerves would take over. Wouldn't be able to keep a steady hand! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement