Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

She's won four races from four races. I didn't hear anything about a protest underway. So I presume she's coming first.

There are ten races. If you come first you get 1 point, second 2 point, 3 three points etc. The person with the least amount of points after all the races gets the gold. The last race is worth double points so first gets 2 points, second 4 points etc.

I don't know if you're allowed to discard the worst two or three of your performances. I would hope you would be allowed because a rope could break or a sail rip and you have to retire means someone could go from first to way down the table with no chance of recovery all because of a technical failure in the equipment, which would just be unlucky.

So far Annalise has 4 points and the person in second place has 16 points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Brian017 wrote: »
    Ah thanks for that. Long way to go so.

Jaysus, long way to go is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah poor Chloe but it will stand to her for her third Olympics in Brazil! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I'm sick of commentators telling us that he or she will have their sights set on Rio in 4 years time when yet another one of our competitors is knocked out.

Its the same thing every 4 years. We heard it all in Beijing.

FFS these are the games where Ireland should be winning medals.
    They're practically on our doorstep.

Fek waiting for Brazil in 2016.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Lyaiera wrote: »
    She's won four races from four races. I didn't hear anything about a protest underway. So I presume she's coming first.

There are ten races. If you come first you get 1 point, second 2 point, 3 three points etc. The person with the least amount of points after all the races gets the gold. The last race is worth double points so first gets 2 points, second 4 points etc.

I don't know if you're allowed to discard the worst two or three of your performances. I would hope you would be allowed because a rope could break or a sail rip and you have to retire means someone could go from first to way down the table with no chance of recovery all because of a technical failure in the equipment, which would just be unlucky.

So far Annalise has 4 points and the person in second place has 16 points.

You discard your single worst run afaik

Lapin wrote: »
    I'm sick of commentators telling us that he or she will have their sights set on Rio in 4 years time when yet another one of our competitors is knocked out.

I understand where your coming from but CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN
    :D Though Chloe does seem very young

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

statesaver wrote: »
    shes 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Nex thing they'll be saying Sonia O' Sullivan is training for Brazil :rolleyes:

And who is this Chloe one? I was watching the Irish Badminton player?

Samich wrote: »

She is the irish player?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This does rankle a bit. It wouldn't have been too much to invest in athletes when the event is in London. Katie Taylor didn't have so much as a bathroom at her disposal. She would use the one in the pub next door from where she was training.
    There was little to no funding going toward that lad we had in the gymnastics as far as I know. I was watching the Beeb and they were talking about his history and what an amazing underdog story it was, including how he had to do a load of fund raising to get himself there in the first place.
    That was embarrassing to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    You discard your single worst run afaik

A single discard seems very stingy. I would have imagined at least 2 if the 10 are raced, probably 3, and I've seen 4 discards on 10 race series before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We just dont have the funding to invest properly in athletes. We could adopt GB's approach and concentrate on one or two sports to increase our chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Chloe magee.. The player you were watching:confused:

I'm quite calm.

I just have a low tolerance to horse shít when I hear it.

I'm no expert on Badminton, but is 23 considered young for the game?

BTW, I wasn't trying to single out Magee there, my gripe is with the commentators and their back slapping, gallant performance, better luck next time response.

Call it as it is, we're not good enough. We weren't 4 years ago and won't be in 4 years time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Shryke wrote: »
    This does rankle a bit. It wouldn't have been too much to invest in athletes when the event is in London. Katie Taylor didn't have so much as a bathroom at her disposal. She would use the one in the pub next door from where she was training.
    There was little to no funding going toward that lad we had in the gymnastics as far as I know. I was watching the Beeb and they were talking about his history and what an amazing underdog story it was, including how he had to do a load of fund raising to get himself there in the first place.

Really encapsulates the 'ah shure it's grand, next time, next time" and "shure we should be happy to even be here" attitude we have.

Roy Keane makes some very good points around this - albeit at very inappropriate times. I do think he is on to something though. We shouldn't be happy with just being there, going along for the sing song so to speak.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

keano_afc wrote: »
    We just dont have the funding to invest properly in athletes. We could adopt GB's approach and concentrate on one or two sports to increase our chances.
    most of the stuff we are god at is fairly cheap
    Boxing
    Middle distance running
    Sailing
    Dressage (it's already paid for by the Army)

garv123 wrote: »

I thought they called her Nicky?

I'm quite calm.

BTW, I wasn't trying to single out Magee there, my gripe is with the commentators and their back slapping, gallant performance, better luck next time response.

Call it as it is, we're not good enough. We weren't 4 years ago and won't be in 4 years time.

We'll PI was 33 so She's young enough... she will pick up plenty more experience in the next few years.

Commentator hadn't a clue about badminton, reading out random facts out off the internet, calling the shuttle a ball twice, saying the minimum Evans should be doing was reaching the back lines with his clears.. During the game he could only say if a person served long or short, in or out and the score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

apparently he was barred from the climbing frame in the local park as the kids couldn't get a look in :pac:

could have, he hadn't a clue about the sport so he probably didn't even know who she was

garv123 wrote: »

Need to get those ears checked samich

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

I'm quite calm.

In 2008 if we go per capita we won more medals than the US. Our boxers are doing well, Our Badminton players were knocked out by the world number 1 and the world number 4, Annalise Murphy is doing brilliantly in the sailing. Aoife Clark finished 6th out of 74 in the eventing competing against people in their 6th and 7th Olympics.

I think you are confusing back slapping with supporting hard work and commiserating bad luck.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Need to get those ears checked samich

I was nearly sure he said Nicky McGee :pac: And thought that was a funny little name :P

I'm quite calm.

I agree with you. But maybe we could leave all that for the post mortem after the games. I'm just sitting back enjoying their performances but onces it's over i'll be as citical as anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

most of the stuff we are god at is fairly cheap
    Boxing
    Middle distance running
    Sailing
    Dressage (it's already paid for by the Army)

Well I agree on the sailing. We're surrounded by water and it pisses rain all the time. You'd think we have more than one medal to show for all our efforts down the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

keith16 wrote: »
    Really encapsulates the 'ah shure it's grand, next time, next time" and "shure we should be happy to even be here" attitude we have.

Roy Keane makes some very good points around this - albeit at very inappropriate times. I do think he is on to something though. We shouldn't be happy with just being there, going along for the sing song so to speak.

I thought Roy made some measured and carefully worded comments and I saw nothing wrong in anything he said. I was a little bit impressed if anything. That's going down another road.

I think commentators can take whatever kind of flippant attitude they want but its claiming successes of individuals that received no support from the state that rubs me wrong. I know that Irish pride and state funding are two entirely different things but it doesn't make it right that athletes should have no support and then be held as home grown national treasures only if they succeed, and after putting all of the effort in themselves.
    It's a more complex thing than simple annoyance with me. I have great pride in all our competitors but I feel really badly too when I know the country could have done better by them.

Anyway, Olympics, Woo!

In 2008 if we go per capita we won more medals than the US. Our boxers are doing well, Our Badminton players were knocked out by the world number 1 and the world number 4, Annalise Murphy is doing brilliantly in the sailing. Aoife Clark finished 6th out of 74 in the eventing competing against people in their 6th and 7th Olympics.

I think you are confusing back slapping with supporting hard work and commiserating bad luck.
    I agree with you. But maybe we could leave all that for the post mortem after the games. I'm just sitting back enjoying their performances but onces it's over i'll be as citical as anyone else.

Fair points, although as I said earlier, my criticism was directed more towards the commentary of the performances than the participants themselves.

I'm actually enjoying the games immensely !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Very disappointed in our Showjumpers. Surely with our history of great horses and horsemanship we should be doing far better in this sport. There seems to be a lot of money thrown at it too.
    I wonder would our horseracing jockeys be any good at showjumping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Hard luck to Magee only caught the last set but the French girl was a level above her when it came to the important stage at the 3rd quarter.

Novak Djokovic is putting on an absolute exhibition on centre court v A.Rod one of the most complete tennis performances you will ever see.

Roll on the swimming later, two golds for Phelps?

• Advertisement

I don't have Sky Sports but do they have any coverage of the Olympics ?

Will be happy if the answer is NO :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

I hope the Brits win some golds soon, I don't think I can take much more of the bronze medallists, ( I am glad they got it I just hope the media don't beat the sheit out of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

I said earlier in the thread that our funding for sports has historically generally been poor and we have only looked inward and tended to only concentrate on Gaelic games for the last 60/70 years. I remember discussing this at work from 2000 onwards after the Irish media started to take a bitter stance towards home performances at successive games. They took the same line after Athens in 2004.

I just don't think there was ever any serious political will to invest in sporting academies like other countries, nurturing young talent etc. I really do feel all those boys and girls in London at the moment competing for Team Ireland have done a tremendous job just to get there. If they had any serious backing from the government over the last 10/15 years, we would be reaping the rewards now.

I thought Roy made some measured and carefully worded comments and I saw nothing wrong in anything he said. I was a little bit impressed if anything. That's going down another road.

I think commentators can take whatever kind of flippant attitude they want but its claiming successes of individuals that received no support from the state that rubs me wrong. I know that Irish pride and state funding are two entirely different things but it doesn't make it right that athletes should have no support and then be held as home grown national treasures only if they succeed, and after putting all of the effort in themselves.
    It's a more complex thing than simple annoyance with me. I have great pride in all our competitors but I feel really badly too when I know the country could have done better by them.

Anyway, Olympics, Woo!

100% agree. It seems we are happy to claim those "once in a life-time" athletes that come along by accident of birth more than anything else, rather than cultivate an environment of sporting excellence and development.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

after watching the BBC coverage i'm getting the distinct feeling that somebody has burst their bubble.

looking at the medals table i'm not surprised. they are currently standing a lowly 20th, behind such Olympic heavyweights as Kazakhstan, Lithuania & Georgia.

similar countries like France, Italy, Holland and Germany are showing 'em a clean pair of heels.

maybe the pressure/expectations of being the hosts is beginning to tell?

any thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/2012/medals/countries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

after watching the BBC coverage i'm getting the distinct feeling that somebody has burst their bubble.

looking at the medals table i'm not surprised. they are currently standing a lowly 20th, behind such Olympic heavyweights as Kazakhstan, Lithuania & Georgia.

similar countries like France, Italy, Holland and Germany are showing 'em a clean pair of heels.

any thoughts?

Seriously wait for track cycling/Athletics!

any thoughts?

We're only in the 4th day yet. DOubt there would have been too many certs for medals in the sports so far.

Tennis, rowing, cycling, athletics medals still to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Anyone else sick of the horsie ****e ?

Why is this even in the olympics ? Its a sport accessible to aobut 0.5% of the worlds population or less. Its hardly as impressive to do well as something like running that literally anyone out of 7billion can do. There is some Ozzie dude in his 7th olympics:eek: and aiming for an 8th. Most of the competitors come from families of previous olympic horsie people. The Queens grand daugther is in it.

Elitist tripe. Surely not in keeping with the olympic spirit of bringing sport fo the masses ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Why is this even in the olympics ? Its a sport accessible to aobut 0.5% of the worlds population or less. Its hardly as impressive to do well as something like running that literally anyone out of 7billion can do. There is some Ozzie dude in his 7th olympics:eek: and aiming for an 8th. Most of the competitors come from families of previous olympic horsie people. The Queens grand daugther is in it.

Elitist tripe. Surely not in keeping with the olympic spirit of bringing sport fo the masses ?

Its all about the horses you know, otherwise they would get eaten,

now who wants that, bun joor mise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Am I the only thinking that it should be the Horse that gets the medal.

:D

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    Am I the only thinking that it should be the Horse that gets the medal.

:D

If a horse can take drugs then surely it can wear a medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

lol

"If this doesn't go well they could always become jockeys"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Great event on now, women's team gymnast or whatever it's called! USA hot favourites but I'm up for the Russians :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

any thoughts?

Why do you care? Have you made a single contribution to this thread that isn't a dig at the British?

There are 205 nations competing at these games so why do you only comment on the medals collected by one of them?

I know I shouldn't rise to your trolling but here we are.

As Boris said earlier, we're being gracious hosts in letting everyone else win ;)

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Great event on now, women's team gymnast or whatever it's called! USA hot favourites but I'm up for the Russians :D

China usually good at this

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

In Soviet Russia, parallel bars swing on YOU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I don't have Sky Sports but do they have any coverage of the Olympics ?

Will be happy if the answer is NO :D

No, I dont think so. They do however carry the extra BBC channels which can be accessed through the red button. Every sport in HD through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Those Chinese gymnasts are amazing but i have seen bigger kids coming out of creches. They are bred to be gymnasts and have their growth stunted so it's a bit cruel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

God these Chinese girls are so tiny

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Seriously wait for track cycling/Athletics!

absolutely they should be picking up a few Golds in these events, but in many of the events where you would have expected them to collect more they have produced very little/nothing. eg diving, babminton, swimming, archery, judo, shooting, fencing.

Don't get me wrong i wasn't expecting them to sweep the boards, but not even 1 Gold so far is not good imo, especially when compared with similar countries such as France or Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement