Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Eoin Rheinisch must be kicking himself after missing the final. I heard he actually missed a gate and incurred a 50 sec penalty. I know nothing about Canoe Slalom but that sounds like a pretty elementary error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

He wasn't finished by a long way when they started celebrating. He could have fallen or anything.

The commentator just called for him to become Sir Wiggins alright.
    I don't get the whole title thing to be honest so you know....whatever

they need them, otherwise they would not be able to put claim to lands in other countries,

the Brits have it sussed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

they need them, otherwise they would not be able to put claim to lands in other countries,

the Brits have it sussed.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

I feel sorry for Froome. Not even getting a mention on BBC after winning a bronze medal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Little Britian, happy at last. Bless 'em! :D

Colmo52 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Froome. Not even getting a mention on BBC after winning a bronze medal. :(

bronze is so not cool, well at least they will shut up about the gymnasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

You know twitter has gone too far when even Annalise Murphy is sending updates in the middle of the race! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Eoin Rheinisch must be kicking himself after missing the final. I heard he actually missed a gate and incurred a 50 sec penalty. I know nothing about Canoe Slalom but that sounds like a pretty elementary error.

He was down on his first two (I think) splits so he had to go for a more risky gate path and just missed it. He was pushing very hard that's why it went belly up for him.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

LOL , :rolleyes::cool:;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

The commentator just called for him to become Sir Wiggins alright.
    I don't get the whole title thing to be honest so you know....whatever

I've always found it strange that Ireland is one of the few countries that doesn't have some sort of honours/medals system to award its citizens when they do well in, for example, sport.

• Advertisement

Rascasse wrote: »
    I've always found it strange that Ireland is one of the few countries that doesn't have some sort of honours/medals system to award its citizens when they do well in, for example, sport.

Well because we don't have a Monarchic background probably. Neither do USA, Australia, NZ etc AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

bronze is so not cool, well at least they will shut up about the gymnasts.

Think its all about context though isn't it. When you consider Britain's (lack of) history as a powerful nation in Olympic gymnastics then the bronze there is arguably the most surprising and special medal they have won so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Well because we don't have a Monarchic background probably. Neither do USA, Australia, NZ etc AFAIK.

All three of those have awards, royalty has nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Ours appear on the Late Late Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

We would be handing them out to everyone and anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I'm glad we don't to be honest. Too open for abuse. And besides, an Olympic gold medal means a lot more than any title.

All three of those have awards, royalty has nothing to do with it.

I've never heard of these awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pity Annalise didn't win the last 2 races - I was getting a bit optimistic I think:pac: - but sure you'd never know, might go her way again in the next one. She's still ahead if only by 2 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

leahyl wrote: »
    Pity Annalise didn't win the last 2 races - I was getting a bit optimistic I think:pac: - but sure you'd never know, might go her way again in the next one. She's still ahead if only by 2 points

People seem to be getting very down over her result today, but she is still ahead and has a fantastic chance to get a medal.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of upper classy rich sound names in Irish Olympics - if you look at the list of competetors a lot of the names seem well, protestanty! Do you remember this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifton_Wrottesley

Why is this do you think? Anglo-Irish money heritage or something for posh sports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mens gymnastics starting now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Roy Keane received an Honorary Doctorate of Laws in 2002 from UCC.

I guess getting the freedom of a city is an 'honour' in itself.

bwatson wrote: »
    Think its all about context though isn't it. When you consider Britain's (lack of) history as a powerful nation in Olympic gymnastics then the bronze there is arguably the most surprising and special medal they have won so far.

this is true, but I do think it is strange that they were 23 in the world and last won a medal in the men's in 1912, it only took them 4 years to produce the quality they have now,

what will be interesting is to see how they do in major competition after the Olympics,

and yes it is great to see them get some reward for their efforts, I do not begrudge them, I am actually happy for them, it is the media I was talking about for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

There seems to be a lot of upper classy rich sound names in Irish Olympics - if you look at the list of competetors a lot of the names seem well, protestanty! Do you remember this guy?

Why is this do you think? Anglo-Irish money heritage or something for posh sports?

Is that you Bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

What a year for Bradley Wiggins, big respect . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He came close to a medal, iirc.

keano_afc wrote: »
    He came close to a medal, iirc.

4th yeah, great event to watch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    People seem to be getting very down over her result today, but she is still ahead and has a fantastic chance to get a medal.

People were overly optimistic yesterday and overly pessimistic today. :) Still a long way to go and she is in a very good position. Obviously another high teens - low twenties placing will seriously damage her chances, but then the exact same applies to all her competitors too.

She is still in great shape with 5 races to go, game is very much still on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Murray in a spot of bother in the tennis .. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,308 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

flyswatter wrote: »
    You know twitter has gone too far when even Annalise Murphy is sending updates in the middle of the race! :confused:

Its her family sending them from the spectating area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Handbags in the mens hockey, GB v RSA :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I dont get gymnastics, I mean how they score it, basically I only judge them on the landing!

Anyone wrote: »
    I dont get gymnastics, I mean how they score it, basically I only judge them on the landing!

My guess is that they are judged on the difficulty of their routine, combined with how well they excecuted it - if there is a gymnastics expert around then they can feel free to completely discredit what I've said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Murrays wins the 2nd set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Handbags in the mens hockey, GB v RSA :eek:

what happened? fisticuffs?

nice_very wrote: »
    what happened? fisticuffs?

Ah not really, ref gave GB a penalty corner and the South African's went a bit mental - then one of team GB's fellas whooped out his duelling pistols and it pretty much settled the arguement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Get in there, Andy!

Never in doubt .. :D

Women's table tennis final producing big shots. Don't know how they keep it in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Get in there, Andy!

Never in doubt .. :D

How many more matches does that dreary long streak of misery have to win before he gets a chance at a gold medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Murray's reaction was interesting, can't say they don't care

• Advertisement

How many more matches does that dreary long streak of misery have to win before he gets a chance at a gold medal?

Two! :D He is guaranteed a medal winning chance if he wins the next match and depending on the outcome of the semis if he gets there, he can be going for bronze or gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

A lot of controversy in the womens table tennis final. Ding the world number one got a yellow and red card after asking why she was called on a foul serve and was nearly in tears.

Be interesting to find out why she got it.
    Shes 3-1 down now in best of 7 sets.

garv123 wrote: »
    A lot of controversy in the womens table tennis final. Ding the world number one got a yellow and red card after asking why she was called on a foul serve and was nearly in tears.

Be interesting to find out why she got it.
    Shes 3-1 down now in best of 7 sets.

She was called on it as for the serve you have to have the ball 6 inches off the table when hitting it supposedly and the Ref is saying that she hasn't done that. The red card for questioning the last decision was perplexing.

Seems like the ref is having a howler and ruining the game.

HazDanz wrote: »
    She was called on it as for the serve you have to have the ball 6 inches off the table when hitting it supposedly and the Ref is saying that she hasn't done that. The red card for questioning the last decision was perplexing.

Seems like the ref is having a howler and ruining the game.

I taught it is you have to throw it more than 6 inches?

Apparently it happened in games 1 and 2 aswel but i didnt see that. It was explained to her between games but I dont speak chinese to hear the translation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Just watching the gymnastics, although any Olympic medal is difficult to win (to say the least) I think the gymnasts really are up against it. The precision of their routines and the pure strain on the body must be very injury prone. It is not a sport you could take up and get a medal in the next olympics.

You really have to prepare from a very early age.

I taught it is you have to throw it more than 6 inches?

Apparently it happened in games 1 and 2 aswel but i didnt see that. It was explained to her between games but I dont speak chinese to hear the translation :D

If it is you have to throw it more than 6 inches it's a crazy call as she throws the ball right up in the air for the serve she was called to foul on. Definitely impossible to understand what was going on, the translator was very relaxed about the whole thing one hand in pocket explaining things!

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just watching the gymnastics, although any Olympic medal is difficult to win (to say the least) I think the gymnasts really are up against it. The precision of their routines and the pure strain on the body must be very injury prone. It is not a sport you could take up and get a medal in the next olympics.

You really have to prepare from a very early age.

I dont think anyone can take up any sport and even qualify for the next Olympics not to mind get a medal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

what are the consequences of a red card in table tennis?

i don't see any streams for the table tennis final on bbc or rte? is it over or just not being covered?

HazDanz wrote: »
    If it is you have to throw it more than 6 inches it's a crazy call as she throws the ball right up in the air for the serve she was called to foul on. Definitely impossible to understand what was going on, the translator was very relaxed about the whole thing one hand in pocket explaining things!

I dont see how they can tell the difference between 5" and 6 or 7" from where the ref is sitting. Its madness and the ball looked much higher than that.. you could see it really killed off what could have been a great final

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I dont think anyone can take up any sport and even qualify for the next Olympics not to mind get a medal.

I know mostly that is true, but I was listening to the story about the lady rowers and both only took up the sport 2 years ago.

But one was a PE teacher and very sporty and the other an army gunnery officer who would have to have been very fit.

But gymnastics seems to be about setting the body with that balance strength and flexibility which can only be done at a young age.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement