Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

garv123 wrote: »
    I dont think anyone can take up any sport and even qualify for the next Olympics .

Sure you can, just ring the IOC and ask to give swimmign or rowing a go and they let you in. Just make sure to say your from a country that has no swimmign pools or rowing lakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I dont see how they can tell the difference between 5" and 6 or 7" from where the ref is sitting. Its madness and the ball looked much higher than that.. you could see it really killed off what could have been a great final

Before that foul call there were a few brilliant points being played. After the foul she clocked out mentally, pity because like you said it was shaping up to be a cracker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just watching the gymnastics, although any Olympic medal is difficult to win (to say the least) I think the gymnasts really are up against it. The precision of their routines and the pure strain on the body must be very injury prone. It is not a sport you could take up and get a medal in the next olympics.

You really have to prepare from a very early age.

I dont think anyone can take up any sport and even qualify for the next Olympics not to mind get a medal.

One of the British girls earlier that won gold only took up rowing 4 years ago after an initiative to find tall women.

Also Rebecca Romero in the last Olympics was a rower turned cyclist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

HazDanz wrote: »
    Before that foul call there were a few brilliant points being played. After the foul she clocked out mentally, pity because like you said it was shaping up to be a cracker.
    The ball must be throw up near vertically at least 16cm (around the height of the net), and must be hit on the way down, not the way up.
    If the umpire is doubtful whether a serve is legal, he may warn the player. If any more of the player's serves are of doubtful legality, the umpire will fault the player and award the point to his opponent.
    If a serve is clearly illegal, the umpire will fault the player and give the point to his opponent.

So it just goes by the ref's judgement and cant be appealed.

If the player then commits a second offence in the same individual match or team match, the umpire will award 1 point to the offender's opponent. And for a third offence he will award 2 points, each time holding up a yellow and a red card together.

Was it two points she lost?

After she pulled back the third set I taught it was going to be a great final but as the commentators said she wasnt mentally there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

One of the British girls earlier that won gold only took up rowing 4 years ago after an initiative to find tall women.

I heard both girls only took it up 2 years ago. I am sure we will be told what it was sooner or later.

• Advertisement

Yes you are right 4 years.

This is a very good thread. To me its kind of adding to the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Isn't there an Irish dude who has been in summer and winter olympics in different sports ?

This is what I reckon Phelps should do - become a speedskater or something :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Just watching the gymnastics, although any Olympic medal is difficult to win (to say the least) I think the gymnasts really are up against it. The precision of their routines and the pure strain on the body must be very injury prone. It is not a sport you could take up and get a medal in the next olympics.

You really have to prepare from a very early age.

Absolutely, being a bit off in most sports doesn't neccessarily mean getting injured, it would often mean just not winning. If you see the tumbles on floor the men do where they land on their backs and roll out- they're ultimate precision, if they don't get perfect rotation and height they could land on their necks and then they're ****ed. Women aren't allowed do them, one was paralysed after she landed on her neck. But falling on beam is dangerous, or bars or high bar. Kieran Behan was brain damaged after falling off high bar, one of the USA women's alternates is in a neck brace after missing a catch on the uneven bars. Vault has caused two people to be paralysed, one died soon after. The second one resulted in it being changed to what it is now instead of the old horse, it's much safer. Vault and floor result in numerous ACL and Achilles injuries, and dislocations- gymnastics is much more difficult now than it was even twenty years ago. If you saw women's yesterday- the dark-haird Russian girl seen crying at the end- Aliya Mustafina who will be in the all-around tomorrow, she tore her ACL only about 15 months ago- amazing recovery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hope i'm wrong but i can't see JJ Nevin beating that Mexican. He is a brilliant fighter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Isn't there an Irish dude who has been in summer and winter olympics in different sports ?

This is what I reckon Phelps should do - become a speedskater or something :pac:

yeah I remember him, a bald guy possibly with a beard, did bobsleigh and javelin IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yes, Terry McHugh threw the Javelin and did bobsleigh.

One of our current crop, Claire Bergin, was in the last winter games in the bobsleigh. She's on the 4x4 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Hope i'm wrong but i can't see JJ Nevin beating that Mexican. He is a brilliant fighter.

I just watched the replay of him beating the gold medal favourite. It's a tough brief for Nevin no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

My guess is that they are judged on the difficulty of their routine, combined with how well they excecuted it - if there is a gymnastics expert around then they can feel free to completely discredit what I've said :D

That's correct! I can go more into detail if you like, but it's kind of complicated and long.

There are 2 scores given for each routine in gymnastics. The first is the difficulty score, which adds up the most difficult elements in the routine, plus any bonus the gymnast gets for doing those elements in combination (one right after the other). Skills are ranked in the Table of Elements in an alphabetical order with A skills being the least difficult and thus receiving the least amount of points (.1) and G being the most difficult. Most gymnasts have D and E skills in their routines, with F and G skills being done rarely. Certain parts of the routine have to be performed at a certain difficulty threshold, or else a technical deduction is incurred. For example, dismounts must be D skills or higher. Anything lower results in a .5 technical deduction.

The difficultly score usually doesn't change unless a gymnast misses a combination, thus losing combination bonus; performs a skill so improperly the judges don't credit it, like missing a release skill on bars or not fully rotating a twist; or leaves out a skill altogether.

The execution score is the second score. It starts at a 10.00 and judges deduct from there in increments of .1 (minor mistake), .3 (medium), .5 (major), and then a full point for a fall. Deductions include form (straight legs, pointed toes, correct positions in tuck, pike, prone), extra steps, and then each event has event-specific deductions (wobbles on beam, missed handstands on bars, etc.).

The difficulty and execution scores are added together for the final score. So, if a gymnast has a difficulty score of 6.5 and an execution score of 8.8, their total score is 15.3.

Apologies if none of that made any sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Excellent summary metaoblivia. I never understood the points system, but I do now.

Thank you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Prepare to be amazed, John Joe will beat the Mexican on current form, as soon as he gets a lead he is on his bike, and just doesnt get hit more than he hits;)

Evening everyone.

I haven't had the chance to watch any events the last few days :mad: but I have had sneaky peaks at this thread at work.

Some of ya should be sending in CVs for the commentating jobs at Rio 2016 :D

Absolutely, being a bit off in most sports doesn't neccessarily mean getting injured, it would often mean just not winning. If you see the tumbles on floor the men do where they land on their backs and roll out- they're ultimate precision, if they don't get perfect rotation and height they could land on their necks and then they're ****ed. Women aren't allowed do them, one was paralysed after she landed on her neck. But falling on beam is dangerous, or bars or high bar. Kieran Behan was brain damaged after falling off high bar, one of the USA women's alternates is in a neck brace after missing a catch on the uneven bars. Vault has caused two people to be paralysed, one died soon after. The second one resulted in it being changed to what it is now instead of the old horse, it's much safer. Vault and floor result in numerous ACL and Achilles injuries, and dislocations- gymnastics is much more difficult now than it was even twenty years ago. If you saw women's yesterday- the dark-haird Russian girl seen crying at the end- Aliya Mustafina who will be in the all-around tomorrow, she tore her ACL only about 15 months ago- amazing recovery!

Bloody hell
    I did think it looked injury prone but I didn't think of the danger of it till I read that post.

Excellent post.

Brits up for two medal chances right now in the men's 200m breaststroke. They have some history in this event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Silver for Gb in the swimming i reckon

Gyurta will take gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

I'm off to Wimbo tomorrow! Court one all day. :D

Ok swimming finals up = there goes my productivity

Holy crap mens 200m breastroke is a close race

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

brits looking good for a medal.

what's the problem in the weightlifting ? Something about 1 minute on the clock, 2 minutes on the clock

C-mon the Brits.

GO ON JAMIESON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

200m Breaststroke WR has just been smashed.

:eek:

And a silver for Team GB.

well done Jamieson :):):)

Welldone Jamieson

• Advertisement

Fantastic race!!!!!! :eek:

Pity Jamieson didn't quite catch the Hungarian

A little off topic Sharon Davis is still a Ryide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

interesting that jameson is the new sensation of uk swimming after making dramatic improvements in his time at the olympics - if he was Chinese i wonder would the bbc be saying he is a new sensation or would they instead ask other types of questions about his dramatic sudden improvements in time, in Jamesons cases at the age of 23 which is more unusual than at 15 or 16

Jamieson seems like a nice chap.

Did the announcer just say something about Ryan Lochte while one of th ewomen was comign out?

Great race. It took a WR to win it.

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »
    interesting that jameson is the new sensation of uk swimming after making dramatic improvements in his time at the olympics - if he was Chinese i wonder would the bbc be saying he is a new sensation or would they instead ask other types of questions about his dramatic sudden improvements in time, in Jamesons cases at the age of 23 which is more unusual than at 15 or 16

The Brits are tested at any time, I think Chinese athletes need 2/3 days notice of the test.

Maybe if he swept the boards and beat everyone by a good margin breaking world records they might.

Good race

Reckon Gb will get a Bronze with Jemma Lowe in the 200 fly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, same opinion as myself. He's broke his PB by 2.4 seconds in this Olympics, which is just as impressive as Ye imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cant believe shes 50 this year :eek:

• Advertisement

Halsall will hack up in this

1st by a mile and fastest overall

Cant believe shes 50 this year :eek:

I know, it says a lot for healthy living, the girl that beat her in the swimming was an East German who later wrote a book about the way the coaches controlled her regimen of drugs with out her knowledge of what she was taking. She went on to have many problems because of them.

I always thought after that book Davis should have had her medal up graded to a gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Yep, my BF is in agreement with you there! :)

She does look great. Probably a mix of good lifestyle and good genes.

Definatly on topic. Thread is all Olympic related.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

that girl that just won that semi, with the long surname, she is quite cute!

also, watching the swimming I was just wondering why there are almost no black swimmers, (there was a Jamaican girl - cute too) I remember reading about Eric the eel and the argument was the different body shape or mass or something, cant be true surely?

Samich wrote: »
    The Brits are tested at any time, I think Chinese athletes need 2/3 days notice of the test.

As is every medal winner. Straight after the event as well I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

I know, it says a lot for healthy living, the girl that beat her in the swimming was an East German who later wrote a book about the way the coaches controlled her regimen of drugs with out her knowledge of what she was taking. She went on to have many problems because of them.

Yes, that's whole affair is very sad to read about, it happened to many East German athletes.

Womans 200m Butterfly coming up. Another Medal for Team GB?

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Yep, my BF is in agreement with you there! :)

She does look great. Probably a mix of good lifestyle and good genes.

Yeah that boob job she had probably helped too:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/woman/life/sharron-davies-im-almost-50-but-i-still-feel-like-a-winner-16171258.html
    (bottom of page)

irish-stew wrote: »
    Womans 200m Butterfly coming up. Another Medal for Team GB?

Unlikely from lane 8.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement