Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

Quick question, why are so many of you supporting Team GB with such gusto? It comes across as so small-time and bizarre.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Unlikely from lane 8.

I reckon she has a chance of Bronze

But no more

1st Hersey
    2nd Jiao
    3rd Lowe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

That's correct! I can go more into detail if you like, but it's kind of complicated and long.

There are 2 scores given for each routine in gymnastics. The first is the difficulty score, which adds up the most difficult elements in the routine, plus any bonus the gymnast gets for doing those elements in combination (one right after the other). Skills are ranked in the Table of Elements in an alphabetical order with A skills being the least difficult and thus receiving the least amount of points (.1) and G being the most difficult. Most gymnasts have D and E skills in their routines, with F and G skills being done rarely. Certain parts of the routine have to be performed at a certain difficulty threshold, or else a technical deduction is incurred. For example, dismounts must be D skills or higher. Anything lower results in a .5 technical deduction.

The difficultly score usually doesn't change unless a gymnast misses a combination, thus losing combination bonus; performs a skill so improperly the judges don't credit it, like missing a release skill on bars or not fully rotating a twist; or leaves out a skill altogether.

The execution score is the second score. It starts at a 10.00 and judges deduct from there in increments of .1 (minor mistake), .3 (medium), .5 (major), and then a full point for a fall. Deductions include form (straight legs, pointed toes, correct positions in tuck, pike, prone), extra steps, and then each event has event-specific deductions (wobbles on beam, missed handstands on bars, etc.).

The difficulty and execution scores are added together for the final score. So, if a gymnast has a difficulty score of 6.5 and an execution score of 8.8, their total score is 15.3.

Apologies if none of that made any sense!

Great job in explaining it! This is of course there was such a fuss over McKayla Maroney's vault, 9.733 is a record for WAG this quad and since the new code came in..probably goes further back than that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

FirePower wrote: »
    Quick question, why are so many of you supporting Team GB with such gusto? It comes across as so small-time and bizarre.:confused:

Why are so many anti British and complaining about them all the time, it comes across as small minded and bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Well I'm from England orriginally. But I will support the Irish as well in any events that they are in.

Plus factor into it there are so many more British competitors in these games, most of which barr a select few competing at a higher level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Great job in explaining it! This is of course there was such a fuss over McKayla Maroney's vault, 9.733 is a record for WAG this quad and since the new code came in..probably goes further back than that too.

One of the commentators over here (The States) was saying that Maroney gets about two feet (not inches, FEET) higher into the air on her vaults than any other gymnast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

LOL

Indeed it did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why not? There're no Irish in these events and they're the next nearest.

They are our neighbours, I know most their athletes and I might as well be up for someone, they are putting on a great show and the war is over we are at peace,,thank gawd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Yeah! The last time I can remember a 10 being awarded in international competition was some time in the 1990s. I've never seen a 10 execution score under the new code.

But that vault was something else! There was a leg separation on the block, but you couldn't really see that in real time. And I think she probably should have held on to that stick a little bit longer. Her step out from it looked slightly uncontrolled, like what NCAA gymnastics fans might call a 'college stick,' where the gymnast throws up her hands and salutes really quickly before taking the step forward. And perhaps her knees could have been a little straighter, her body a little more extended in flight.

But really, those are very nit picky deductions that are almost impossible to even see without slow motion. If they'd given it a 10, I would have been fine with that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Well I'm originally from London and I wholeheartedly support Team Ireland in any event they compete in.

I have a quick question for you - Why do you assume that everyone on this website is Irish? Quite small-time and bizarre in this day and age, don't ya think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Just watched the "highlights" from the two now infamous badminton matches yesterday. Utterly incredible. What is even more astonishing is that all involved clearly thought there would be so significant repercussions as a result of their actions.

The decision to throw them out was the right one - hope they recieve long bans!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Why not? There're no Irish in these events and they're the next nearest.

Exactly, with the Irish being eliminated early and under performing in many events why not get behind the neighbours.

Jemma lowe come on

thought she might have had a shot at bronze there for a bit. :(

• Advertisement

Great final. Field was destroyed in the last 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Oops :o

Thought she was going to do it

Gold Ribbon event of the pool, Mens 100 free coming up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Just flicked over to the football. Suarez as detestable as ever I see. Its an embarrassment to the sport of football that he is one of its biggest names competing. I can see why so many are falling out of love with the game.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Thought she was going to do it

I breifly forgot it was a 200 event and thought Lowe had got the bronze.

:o

• Advertisement

And here it is.
    This is usually one big splash.

Whatever happened to those swimsuits that were all the rage a few years back, with the 3/4 length legs and torso covered (for the men too iirc)? Did they ban them or did the swimmers just realise they werent actually making them go any faster?

Less than a fingertip!!

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

They always support our athletes and teams.

Jasus what a stupid finish

I think he thought he had it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Why are they so surprises the American guy won that? He looked EVER so slightly ahead anyway I thought?

What I mean is I could see he was gonna get it but commentary thought Australian had it?

Whatever happened to those swimsuits that were all the rage a few years back, with the 3/4 length legs and torso covered (for the men too iirc)? Did they ban them or did the swimmers just realise they werent actually making them go any faster?

They banned them because they were making them go much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

WOW!

Magnussen didn't straighten is arm.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Double WOW

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Why are they so surprises the American guy won that? He looked EVER so slightly ahead anyway I thought?

I thought the Australian seemed to coast at the end. As if he thought he had it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

The swimming has been very exciting these Olympics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ian Thorpe is a great pundit and ridiculously camp to boot!

i see he's pool side this evening with claire balding...reckon he was getting p!ssed off with gary linekar

Is it one of Phelps' medals they were talking about the other day , from Athens maybe, that he won by a tiny amount and they kno wnow it was down to the opponent not pressing hard enough on the pad that stops the clock or something? They didnt have the camers under the water to check but they dotn think he actually won. Kind of half caught conversation but it all sounded very casual.

The full body swimsuits were banned in 2010.

All the hype was that records would be broken if you wore them and those not wearing them, would never beat that record.

Loads of New World Records so far this Olympics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Got banned because the swimmers were breaking WRs all round the place so they decided it would be better to get rid of them.. Bloody eijits if you ask me.. Why not let them go faster if they can with a really well designed suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

fryup wrote: »
    i see he's pool side this evening with claire balding...reckon he was getting p!ssed off with gary linekar

Who wouldn't?

Colmustard wrote: »

I thought the Australian seemed to coast at the end. As if he thought he had it.

Yeah, I could def see in the last 10 metres that the American guy looked to be just slightly ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

HazDanz wrote: »
    The swimming has been very exciting these Olympics.

Will be sad to see them finish. However the athletics is starting Friday. Am counting down till sun night when the Usain Bolt show will be on :D

• Advertisement

Great day for Britain overall!

Can't wait for our Katie on Monday!

And John Joe did well today too, in the last 16 now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fryup wrote: »

I'd imagine so, he looked like he had to hold his tongue with Linekar on many occasions. You could see the man was becoming riled and agitated in Gary's company.

Quarters I think! One away from a medal

It seems like we've been waiting an age for Katie Taylor's bout

Why are so many anti British and complaining about them all the time, it comes across as small minded and bitter.

Oh dear, someone likes to jump to conclusions in order to eke out a few "thanks":rolleyes:.
    I see no reason why an Irish person would or would not support The Britain, after all its just like any other nation competing in the games.
    But what we seem to have here on this thread is many posters going into hysterics about any British success that even a Briton would blush at even going so far as to focus on British competitors in events that even have Irish competitors in them.
    What's the reason for it? Is it some sort of basking in success due to proximity to Britain, Ireland and the UK have a combined total of 9 medals yahoo:rolleyes:. Our boys have sure done good.:rolleyes:
    They're nothing to do with you, they're foreigners representing a foreign country and your tax euros sure as hell didn't fund them. Yet some people on here are hooping and hollering and clapping like walruses at any British achievement (I'll give a free pass to anyone originally from UK).
    Team Ireland mustn't be glamorous enough. They must be the Bohemians to GB's Man United. Therefore people here seem to jump on the GB bandwagon in order to "be part of" the success, ergo bizarre and small-time.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, someone likes to jump to conclusions in order to eke out a few "thanks":rolleyes:.
    I see no reason why an Irish person would or would not support The Britain, after all its just like any other nation competing in the games.
    But what we seem to have here on this thread is many posters going into hysterics about any British success that even a Briton would blush at even going so far as to focus on British competitors in events that even have Irish competitors in them.
    What's the reason for it? Is it some sort of basking in success due to proximity to Britain, Ireland and the UK have a combined total of 9 medals yahoo:rolleyes:. Our boys have sure done good.:rolleyes:
    They're nothing to do with you, they're foreigners representing a foreign country and your tax euros sure as hell didn't fund them. Yet some people on here are hooping and hollering and clapping like walruses at any British achievement (I'll give a free pass to anyone originally from UK).
    Team Ireland mustn't be glamorous enough. They must be the Bohemians to GB's Man United. Therefore people here seem to jump on the GB bandwagon in order to "be part of" the success, ergo bizarre and small-time.

LOL

Could be very tough for Katie. They reckon her bye could almost be a disadvantage, she up against either the American or British No1.

Oh dear, someone likes to jump to conclusions in order to eke out a few "thanks":pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:.

There you go

FYP

WR for Soni! And it's only the semis.

cgpg5 wrote: »
    LOL

solid points well made cgpg5

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement