Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A win by over 2 seconds, and a WR. What can she do in the final??

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

FirePower wrote: »
    Oh dear, someone likes to jump to conclusions in order to eke out a few "thanks":rolleyes:.
    I see no reason why an Irish person would or would not support The Britain, after all its just like any other nation competing in the games.
    But what we seem to have here on this thread is many posters going into hysterics about any British success that even a Briton would blush at even going so far as to focus on British competitors in events that even have Irish competitors in them.
    What's the reason for it? Is it some sort of basking in success due to proximity to Britain, Ireland and the UK have a combined total of 9 medals yahoo:rolleyes:. Our boys have sure done good.:rolleyes:
    They're nothing to do with you, they're foreigners representing a foreign country and your tax euros sure as hell didn't fund them. Yet some people on here are hooping and hollering and clapping like walruses at any British achievement (I'll give a free pass to anyone originally from UK).
    Team Ireland mustn't be glamorous enough. They must be the Bohemians to GB's Man United. Therefore people here seem to jump on the GB bandwagon in order to "be part of" the success, ergo bizarre and small-time.

I haven't seen any hysterics.

It's all a conspiracy to make you look stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

solid points well made cgpg5

Pity we can't say the same about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

solid points well made cgpg5

Why thank you! It was a humerous post though fair play. Was it not meant to be? We have to bring up your post count too

Its the Phelps/Locte show again.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Its the Phelps/Locte show again.

You'd have to fancy Lochte tomorrow again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

leahyl wrote: »
    Can't wait for our Katie on Monday!

And John Joe did well today too, in the last 16 now :-)

Could be very tough for Katie. They reckon her bye could almost be a disadvantage, she up against either the American or British No1.

Meh, she'll kick either somd British or some American butt :-D

Also she's the Irish, European and World Champion in her weight category so hopefully that will work to her advantage!!

Chad le Clos is such a cutie!!

The Brazilian trying to look cool and unphazed going out poolside compared to the Japanise fella before him.

:D

Another Medal race coming up. Womans 4x200m freestyle.

One thing that has puzzled me, why are they allowed to change the team for each round. Surely you would have to keep the same four for each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yeah! The last time I can remember a 10 being awarded in international competition was some time in the 1990s. I've never seen a 10 execution score under the new code.

But that vault was something else! There was a leg separation on the block, but you couldn't really see that in real time. And I think she probably should have held on to that stick a little bit longer. Her step out from it looked slightly uncontrolled, like what NCAA gymnastics fans might call a 'college stick,' where the gymnast throws up her hands and salutes really quickly before taking the step forward. And perhaps her knees could have been a little straighter, her body a little more extended in flight.

But really, those are very nit picky deductions that are almost impossible to even see without slow motion. If they'd given it a 10, I would have been fine with that!

1992 Olympics was the last- Lavinia Milosovici on floor and Luo Li on bars. 1991 worlds was the last not at an Olympics- Kim Gwang Suk the 12 year old on bars! I dunno about the stick, I'd give that to her..a 10 would be great and well deserved since it really was the gold standard of a vault very few of them can even do at all, but if you take away the leg sep and slightly bent knees when twisting, it should be a 9.8 at the least. But she has another chance in vault EF, she will vault seventh of eight, the only amanar- should get a higher score if she performs like that again. You can see a slow-mo of it here
    http://deadspin.com/5930714/relive-mckayla-maroneys-phenomenal-vault-in-super+slow-motion?tag=gymnastics
    Especially impressive as she has a broken toe and has been taking huge steps to control the landing all year.

Another Medal race coming up. Womans 4x200m freestyle.

One thing that has puzzled me, why are they allowed to change the team for each round. Surely you would have to keep the same four for each.

Don't like that. Although the ones that swim the heats get medals also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Oh dear, someone likes to jump to conclusions in order to eke out a few "thanks":rolleyes:.
    I see no reason why an Irish person would or would not support The Britain, after all its just like any other nation competing in the games.
    But what we seem to have here on this thread is many posters going into hysterics about any British success that even a Briton would blush at even going so far as to focus on British competitors in events that even have Irish competitors in them.
    What's the reason for it? Is it some sort of basking in success due to proximity to Britain, Ireland and the UK have a combined total of 9 medals yahoo:rolleyes:. Our boys have sure done good.:rolleyes:
    They're nothing to do with you, they're foreigners representing a foreign country and your tax euros sure as hell didn't fund them. Yet some people on here are hooping and hollering and clapping like walruses at any British achievement (I'll give a free pass to anyone originally from UK).
    Team Ireland mustn't be glamorous enough. They must be the Bohemians to GB's Man United. Therefore people here seem to jump on the GB bandwagon in order to "be part of" the success, ergo bizarre and small-time.

I think it sad that you should feel like that, specially since the new found cordial relationships between our two islands. The BBC and most of Britain will be routing for Katie Taylor on Monday, and many of us have friends and/or family relations who live next door in Britain, so why shouldn't we cheer on people from Britain? I know that technically everybody in Britain is "foreign" and that they are still the enemy (to some), but just bear in mind that to the good people of Britain and the BBC, Ireland & the Irish people are part of the family, (you only need to listen to the BBC commentary to appreciate this).

Bradley Wiggins cycled a blinder today, now 'come on' Katie Taylor on monday, do the business and go for Gold.

PS: The Irish team got a rousing ovation at the opening ceremony in London, and it was lovely to hear the loud cheers as Katie carried the flag . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FirePower

HazDanz wrote: »

Whatever children I seem to have upset some of your precious mindsets causing many of you to reply with "yo momma so fat" levels of wit in an attempt to justify your logic.
    You seem beyond enlightenment so I'll leave you to your fun.
    Don't forget your multiple exclamation points and smiley faces for the track cycling events. Maybe if you squint really hard they're the same nationality as you are.

Dasvidaniya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

HazDanz wrote: »

Whatever children I seem to have upset some of your precious mindsets causing many of you to reply with "yo momma so fat" levels of wit in an attempt to justify your logic.
    Don't forget your multiple exclamation points and smiley faces for the track cycling events. Maybe if you squint really hard they're the same nationality as you are.

Dasvidaniya.

Any chance you could quit spoiling a great thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dasvidaniya.

What are you blathering on about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

On the RTE panel Andrew Bree mentions that he trains with a lot of these top Olympic swimmers. Does Bree himself still swim competitively?

Was a bit of wobbling there before the 'take your marks'. Starter kept them waiting a while.

Missy Franklin is truly unbelievable! And only 17

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

cgpg5 wrote: »

and yet no one questions her achievements but they do the Chinese girl??

bit unfair

fryup wrote: »

bit unfair

But no other nation could possibly be better at swimming than the Americans! :-p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

But no other nation could possibly be better at swimming than the Americans! :-p

Well to be fair, the American coach was questioning the fact that the Chinese female swimmer swam faster than the Lochte. Which is kind of questionable....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Anyone wrote: »
    Well to be fair, the American coach was questioning the fact that the Chinese female swimmer swam faster than the Lochte. Which is kind of questionable....

Only over the final 50m of that race. Her overall time wasn't better than Lochte.

I don't get your point there? What are you saying? Sorry, not trying to be smart or anything!

I don't get your point there? What are you saying? Sorry, not trying to be smart or anything!

Well, from the way I read it, you were saying that the Chinese girl's win/time was questioned because she wasnt American?

My point was the US coach raised it because of her time compared to the male swimmer Lochte.

• Advertisement

Only over the final 50m of that race. Her overall time wasn't better than Lochte.

It still makes you question it though....well it did for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

It still makes you question it though....well it did for me at least.

It was amazing to look at. I'm going to believe she was just that good and be in awe of it for now as that's what the Olympics is about and if it's found she is doped up later then get disappointed in a few months time.

Well, from the way I read it, you were saying that the Chinese girl's win/time was questioned because she wasnt American?

My point was the US coach raised it because of her time compared to the male swimmer Lochte.

Well yeah but they were questioning her performance even before the whole Lochte thing came to light really. And it always seems to be the Americans that question everything lol :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Franklin isn't smashing her personal bests, destroying the rest of the field and hasn't done what Ye did to Lochte and the best male swimmers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Team GB beat Uruguay to knock Uruguay out. Delighted with that!

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »

bit unfair

Well she did swim the last 50m quicker than Lochte in the male equivalent.

Also Chinese are well known for a history of doping in swimming

titan18 wrote: »
    Franklin isn't smashing her personal bests, destroying the rest of the field and hasn't done what Ye did to Lochte and the best male swimmers.

In general I'm not just talking about these games. Ye is Ye I'd really love to give her the benefit of the doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Lol at RTE interviewing the crowds outside the excel. Great buzz there.

LOL. Only the Olympics could make table-tennis a compelling game to watch.

I have a tear in my eye watching it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

LOL. Only the Olympics could make table-tennis a compelling game to watch.

I think table tennis should be the tennis and actual "tennis" as it's known now should be known as "ground tennis" in order to make the distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Wow, a boxer disqualified for holding! Referee was terrible! He's awful mad.

He's refusing to go near the referee for the hand raise.

He shakes the opponents team and now walks out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Samich wrote: »
    Wow, a boxer disqualified for holding! Referee was terrible! He's awful mad.

To be fair, he was holding a lot and had already been given a warning not to continue doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

whats with the anti Chinese sentiment at he games...first it was doping accusations against the female swimmer,then two of the badminton teams are thrown out for allegedly not playing competitively in a round robin game (when they'd already qualified for net round)..and now in the final of the female table tennis..(two chinese finalists) one of the girls is warned that she must play better or face disqualification. apparently her serve was not up to standard (hit the net a few times)..now in a final,playing for gold..i hardly think she''s intentionally doing this..she had been warned a number of times by an official,and she eventually broke down in tears during the game.

Can't comment on the swimmers or table tennis player but I saw the badminton game and all the players took the p1ss.

They hit the shuttlecock deliberately at the net. I wouldn't be happy if I had paid to see that farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Ha just seen that about the badminton, what a farce.

Love those little updates your man does on RTE, they are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Holy **** that weight lifter smashing his elbow was horrible to watch...

Haha did you see one of the female Ukranian athletes when she was been given her medal by a male official - she leant forward twice for a kiss and he totally ignored her - embarrassing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

RB6Y5AU9FU6e-yIGG0QlIQ2.png

I seen this on another thread I had to put it up here, Hilarious :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Nozebleed wrote: »
    whats with the anti Chinese sentiment at he games...first it was doping accusations against the female swimmer,then two of the badminton teams are thrown out for allegedly not playing competitively in a round robin game (when they'd already qualified for net round)..and now in the final of the female table tennis..(two chinese finalists) one of the girls is warned that she must play better or face disqualification. apparently her serve was not up to standard (hit the net a few times)..now in a final,playing for gold..i hardly think she''s intentionally doing this..she had been warned a number of times by an official,and she eventually broke down in tears during the game.
    The issue was that she wasn't throwing the ball high enough for the serve not that she was hitting the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I heard some sportsman say what is wrong with playing strategically, it has happened in other sports, it happens a lot in football. Man U have been accused of it a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Holy **** that weight lifter smashing his elbow was horrible to watch...

Was it as bad as this one? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1044258/Pictured-The-horrific-moment-Olympic-weightlifter-turns-elbow-front.html

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement