Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Shame Melanie Nocher didnt perform better but her name is great haha...especially when Peter Collins says 'Nochers'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Blisterman wrote: »
    I don't think we do struggle with medals. Our 3 medals at the last Olympics, put us at 29th in the per capita medal rankings, out of over 200 competing nations. That's better than France, Russia, Germany and the United States. Team GB came 27th.

That's actually fairly impressive, seeing as our small size disadvantages us in team sports.

Source:
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/olympics_blog/2008/08/just-as-england.html

Per capita's a stupid measure though. If Katie Taylor wins gold then China would have to win nearly every event going just to beat Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Keep the commentary coming guys!

I'm at work and can't watch feeds.

Nocher apparently inconsolable and the guys in the studio at a complete loss as to her poor performance, saying for instance that her time of around 2.16 IIRC wouldn't even be good enough at national level.

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am watching the Judo, I am enjoying it but I haven't a clue about the rules.

It's mad, I was trying to watch it earlier but couldn't make head nor tail of it...when it looked like one of them did something good, the other was awarded a point :confused:

And when someone eventually wins, it doesn't appear to be done on points, rather a move....like victory by Toyota Shogun :D

Nathan Cohen and Joseph Sullivan of New Zealand won the men's double sculls final. Italy were second, with Slovenia third. Britain's Bill Lucas and Sam Townsend came fifth.

Some finish in the lightweight 4s. Denmark looked like they had it, only for GB to to reel them in but then South Africa came from nowhere to take the win! GB 2nd (just) with Denmark 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What an epic race in the Lightweight fours! South Africa came from 4th to win over the last 500m, and the UK came from third to claim silver by a whisker. Denmark led by nearly a length until the last 500m and were pipped for the silver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭bilston

keith16 wrote: »
    Some finish in the lightweight 4s. Denmark looked like they had it, only for GB to to reel them in but then South Africa came from nowhere to take the win! GB 2nd (just) with Denmark 3rd.

Agonisingly close there for the GB & NI crew with the two lads from Coleraine. Gutted but Silver is still a good result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Excellent race in the lightweight 4s. Australia unlucky not to win a medal with such small gaps at the finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

What a race in the lw 4s! I remember as a junior peter chambers who was bow in the British 4 was competing in events all around Ireland for bann, even rowed for Ireland as junior. Unreal to see him at the highest level in the world.
    Excellent sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Women's 8 now. Hope its as exciting as the last race.

GB back in 6th.........

US have a 2.3 second lead over Canda after 1000m

The rowing looks pure gruel, I think I would be worth about 10 strokes and then my heart would explode. I would imagine every part of them would hurt during a rowing race. Respect.

and the USA take Gold....was never really in doubt. Canada 2nd, Netherlands take bronze.

• Advertisement

Colmustard wrote: »
    The rowing looks pure gruel, I think I would be worth about 10 strokes and then my heart would explode. I would imagine every part of them would hurt during a rowing race. Respect.

You wouldn't be the only one, ask Sally Robbins. She suffered a breakdown during the 8s final in Athens 8 years ago and was absolutely castigated for it back home.

keith16 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be the only one, ask Sally Robbins. She suffered a breakdown during the 8s final in Athens 8 years ago and was absolutely castigated for it back home.

What is amazing is how that does not happen more often, 8, 6, or 4 rowers surely mathematically someone at sometime will have either an injury or a bad day.

I was flicking through the headlines Bradley Wiggins celebrated his incredible month by getting p1ssed last night with friends and family. That somehow makes him human in my mind.

Love the basketball commentator on RTE,even during this game Lithuania vs France he is going crazy! Makes the game more exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

anyone watching the France v Lithuania basketball game on rte2 ???

Who are the commentators ?!??!
    They are friggin hilarious!!!! Think Latin soccer commentator in the Simpsons hilarious :D

edit:ha you beat me to it markie

HAHAHAH: OOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh the shootout at the OK coral.......except its not......its basketball.........

The velodrome cycling is starting this afternoon, this was always my favourite Olympic event it really promises to be something special this Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What does shake and bake mean in a basketball context?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Murray coasts through to semis in tennis. Guaranteed a shot at a medal.

Lol the basketball commentator is indeed brilliant makes it far more exciting. Don't get people's dislike for him! Rather him than a insightful but very boring guy tbh

cgpg5 wrote: »

Lol the basketball commentator is indeed brilliant makes it far more exciting. Don't get people's dislike for him! Rather him than a insightful but very boring guy tbh

or the commentator from the badminton who was neither insightful or exciting.

"Tony Parker! TONNNYYY PARKER!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN" hahaha

"Tony Parker! TONNNYYY PARKER!!!! YOU ARE THE MAN" hahaha

19 points between the teams and he is still going crazy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Who dislike's him ????

He's epic!!!

This guy needs his own show!!!!

Who dislike's him ????

He's epic!!!

This guy needs his own show!!!!
    FACT! There was people on this and the bball forum criticising him. He'd make the most boring game sound mighty!

"HEEEES FLYYYYYING!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ah I missed him. What's his name?

What time is the Darren O'Neill fight on today does anyone know?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

He's gone coast to coast!!!

Shake and Bake!!

Down Town!!!

The man is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

el diablo wrote: »
    Ah I missed him. What's his name?

What time is the Darren O'Neill fight on today does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

racso1975 wrote: »
    He's gone coast to coast!!!

Shake and Bake!!

Down Town!!!

The man is a legend

What channel are ye watching it on?

Mars Bar wrote: »

RTE 2. Finsihed now was delayed showing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Was Alison sailing today?

Radio Teilfís Éireann TWO

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

No, rest day today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I assume you mean Annalise Murphy.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Anyone watching the Badminton? Mixed doubles was very tight the whole way through but China just pipped Denmark.

The chanting in the crowd is annoying though. It's badminton, not football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Anyone watching the Badminton? Mixed doubles was very tight the whole way through but China just pipped Denmark.

The chanting in the crowd is annoying though. It's badminton, not football.

You have chanting in volleyball, basketball, badminton, table tennis - fans who are passionate get to chant.

It's badminton, not snooker.

Anyone else watch the 3D highlights, the 3D is more interesting then practicable, it works for some shots but it distorts distances and flattens out people that are in the distance, kind of southparks them.

I don't think the technology is right yet but obviously getting there. I only bought the system as it was the best tele on the market when my last tele broke. But I don't recommend the 3D. (Samsung series 8).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

The pundit just there on his phone on the RTE coverage :p wtf?

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You have chanting in volleyball, basketball, badminton, table tennis - fans who are passionate get to chant.

It's badminton, not snooker.

It just seems out of place coz it's only a couple of people doing it. Cheering when a point is scored is perfectly fine.
    Now most of the crowd is chanting and it sounds better.

The Thai girl is giving the Chinese girl a great game!

It just seems out of place coz it's only a couple of people doing it. Cheering when a point is scored is perfectly fine.
    Now most of the crowd is chanting and it sounds better.

The Thai girl is giving the Chinese girl a great game!

are there not other games going on at the same time? that could explain the cheering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Was just looking for tickets online, can't find ANY for the weekend for anything! Women's boxing on Monday are available, is Katie fighting then? Would have to take a half day

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭johne30

Glad that the two rowers from derry didn't get gold , why won't the compete for ireland ,

Gemma Gibbons (GB) in the Judo has just got into the final in an incredible tense fight. She has just beaten the world champion.

What a fight.

• Advertisement

The crowd are going mental. Brilliant.

johne30 wrote: »
    Glad that the two rowers from derry didn't get gold , why won't the compete for ireland ,

they declared for GB i have no problem with that as there have been a lot from Northern Ireland who have declared for Ireland.

markie29 wrote: »
    are there not other games going on at the same time? that could explain the cheering?

Yeah I think there are other games on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Darren O'Neill up now in the boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

johne30 wrote: »

It's their choice. Nice sentiment though, classy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement