Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Judo on BBC1. Gold chance for GB again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Ahhh Gemma didn't get the gold but she did win a silver.

Congrats and well won.

OK The Vellodrome is starting now :D:D

OK I will go for a walk this evening I promise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

The American girl, Kayla Harrison, won the gold in the Judo. Apparently her first coach was jailed for 10 years for abusing her, she battled depression and suididal thoughts over it! She has really come a long way fair play to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Gibbons gold chance finished. Came against a stronger opponent on the day. However, the fairytale continues in the event, with Harrison apparently accrediting her coach for saving her life, and the commentators referring to her as escaping from a dark hole.

This Olympics has for me been the best sporting occasion of 2012, and I'm a sports journalist who follows every sport!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Colmustard wrote: »

get an excercise bike,place it facing the tv and just cycle...pretending you are competing against them haha

Gibbons gold chance finished. Came against a stronger opponent on the day. However, the fairytale continues in the event, with Harrison apparently accrediting her coach for saving her life, and the commentators referring to her as escaping from a dark hole.

This Olympics has for me been the best sporting occasion of 2012, and I'm a sports journalist who follows every sport!

I have always watched the olympics and up to now I thought the Sydney games could not be beaten as the "best games ever" but so far I think these games are better.

I think its because like the Australians the British love their sport and the crowds are really making the occasion.

markie29 wrote: »
    get an excercise bike,place it facing the tv and just cycle...pretending you are competing against them haha

LOL
    That is a brill suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Women's artistic gymnastics all-around coming up at half 4 on BBC3. It's not as open as the men's, there's 2 favourites and 3 other top contenders. Still exciting though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

How does the team sprint work or what's the idea behind it? Do they take turns leading to reduce drag etc???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What a bitter bunch some Irish people are. A Girl gets to final of Olympics and we still have a dig at her.

She had to do this all through her own pocket. Yes, would have been nice if she did better, but she was not given much hope of getting to final in first place.

She beat a Girl who has been training at that base all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I have always watched the olympics and up to now I thought the Sydney games could not be beaten as the "best games ever" but so far I think these games are better.

I think its because like the Australians the British love their sport and the crowds are really making the occasion.

Well, the London games are much better for me purely for the reason that we are in the same time zone to it's eay to watch everything. Work is ruining that somewhat though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

What a race in the lw 4s! I remember as a junior peter chambers who was bow in the British 4 was competing in events all around Ireland for bann, even rowed for Ireland as junior. Unreal to see him at the highest level in the world.
    Excellent sport.

Nice connection!

I have to say it was kind of cool seeing the mixed-race in the South African boat. I don't think that would have happened in the dark old (not so distance) days of Apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    God, I wish Ireland excelled at at least ONE sport :(

We do. Gaelic games.:D

What an atmosphere at the Velodrome! Gb hoping to clean up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Victoria Pendleton WOW :eek: She was about half a second behind when she took over the lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What's on in the Velodrome?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I wish I had tickets to the velodrome. I went to an event a couple of years ago at the one in the Olympic Park in Munich and the atmosphere was insane (although the super-strength German bier contributed to that...).

Mars Bar wrote: »
    What's on in the Velodrome?

The Rose of Tralee

Deng LinLin looks about 7 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Are all the Irish swimmers finished now for these games? Pity it didn't go very well, nobody even made it out of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G.A.Ay

How many medals have Team Ireland won thus far?

Are all the Irish swimmers finished now for these games? Pity it didn't go very well, nobody even made it out of heat.

We only have one Olympic pool that is not even 10 years old so we don't have a swimming tradition. Perhaps in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

G.A.Ay wrote: »

Nothing, but we haven't contested any finals. Our best hopes are to come still

None but I predict we will win 3, I won't name the events out of superstition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

None but I predict we will win 3, I won't name the events out of superstition.

I predict 4, hopefully im right.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    I predict 4, hopefully im right.

:D I hope so to.

I think this is going to be a good Olympics for us, fingers crossed.

Talks team GB could be disqualified here in the women cycling

Real drama here at velodrome :o

As for irish medals. 3 at best I'd say!

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Talks team GB could be disqualified here in the women cycling

What did they do?

They don't seem to know the exact reasoning. Talks Pendleton went to early or something along those lines.

GB indeed disqualified it seems

"Pendleton/Varnish relegated for making an early change: out of medals. Velodrome hears its first boos."

Awful disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Shame, they were clearly very fast

Bugger. On the other hand I now don't have to race home to catch the 5.59 start for the final.

Dont think its been bad olympics so far. Hopefully Murphy can get medal in sailing although I think she will just miss out(hope im 100% wrong).

Craig reaching the salmon final was excellent and Equestrian team finishing 5th overall. Few Sailers at least should be in Top 10.

Only real disappointment so far have been the swimmers. Pity cause they had potential to reach couple of semi finals and in Murphys case a Final.

I know its nice to win medals, but we are starting to see improvement in many events then 8 years ago in Athens where we were disaster in everything we touched.

• Advertisement

Women's All Round gymnastics is on at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

We only have one Olympic pool that is not even 10 years old so we don't have a swimming tradition. Perhaps in time.

Really pisses me off the if you go to the NAC as a member of th epublic the pool is split into two 25's. So f**kin stupid.

FYI there is private a 50m pool in Clontarf - though not technical Olympic its good for training.
    AFAIK UL has a 50 pool and I tihnk the new UCD pool is 50m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I would love to see Ireland pump some money into to swimmng here and try to nurture some of our young swimming talent. If we produce our own Michael Phelps, he/she could win us 8 golds in 1 Olympics!

I can tell you guys that swimming is becoming very serious at underage level. My Brother has won few All Irelands and the training he is doing is some amount.

Think by 2016 we will have the first crop of decent swimmers for world stage and by 2020 I think we will have at least some medal hopes.

But of course every other country will be doing same, just matter of can we do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Jimmy Magee:
    "Win lose or draw, well there are no draws in boxing of course"

• Advertisement

Really pisses me off the if you go to the NAC as a member of th epublic the pool is split into two 25's. So f**kin stupid.

FYI there is private a 50m pool in Clontarf - though not technical Olympic its good for training.
    AFAIK UL has a 50 pool and I tihnk the new UCD pool is 50m

The Clontarf pool is 50 metres but only 4 foot deep so its not really suitable for for championship training as you couldn't even practice the turn abouts.

But hopilly "the kew tour is right and we get some medal in the future.

Team GB cycling duo has got disqualified.

Tough break for them Victoria seems philosophical about it, but she has other events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The Clontarf pool is 50 metres but only 4 foot deep so its not really suitable for for championship training as you couldn't even practice the turn abouts.

Well having swum in the pool I can tell you its 100 times better than training in a 25m pool in terms of distance and building fitness.

I didn't have a problem doing tumble turns (well other than my usual problems with tumbles turns :D) - but then I wasn't training for high level competitions.

I think the new one in UCD is Olympic standard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Team GB cycling duo has got disqualified.

Tough break for them Victoria seems philosophical about it, but she has other events.

Annoying but rules are rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

keith16 wrote: »
    I think the new one in UCD is Olympic standard.

The American synchronised swimmers have been practicing in the Aquatic Centre in Blanch for the past week. I thought the one in Blanch was the only olympic sized one in Ireland. I'm probably wrong though :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Anyone see the british lad boxing? He got flaked around the place in the last round, barely keeping on his feet against the world no.1 and was then given the win on a second count. Rte commentators and the studio were talking about it there and they said it was a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,823 ✭✭✭✭bilston

nice_very wrote: »
    Hannah Craig currently in gold medal position

Good effort in making the final. That wasn't expected or was it?

I would love to see Ireland pump some money into to swimmng here and try to nurture some of our young swimming talent. If we produce our own Michael Phelps, he/she could win us 8 golds in 1 Olympics!

I was actually talking to my mate the other day about something similar. With the thousands of delinquent children in the country that are frequently in the courts, maybe we should create an Olympic programme to get these people to turn their lives around. If they break the law, they get shunted into the Olympic Programme and if they fail or show no real effort they get shunted off to prison for their crimes.

The kids will have no choice in what they are entered in and are divided by physical stature and genetics. The tall ones go off to the likes of rowing and swimming and the smaller/mid sized ones go to the likes of Cycling, Table Tennis, Archery, Badminton. Again if they are not interested, they go to prison. Plus we will never have to listen about how they had little opportunity in life.

Its cheaper than shunting them off to prison and a lifetime of social welfare.

The American synchronised swimmers have been practicing in the Aquatic Centre in Blanch for the past week. I thought the one in Blanch was the only olympic sized one in Ireland. I'm probably wrong though :L

Clontarf was the first one. It was the one good legacy Michelle De Bruin left the country as it was commission straight after her "Success"

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement