Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

fryup wrote: »
    is he gay?

cause he seems to have a nancy boy air about him

Err "nancy boy"

He says he isn't gay, he has a jewellery and fashion line not that that means anything.

I think he is a very good pundit, he is certainly knowledgeable about swimming and so what if he is gay.

I am watching the ladies hockey now and surely with all our camogie players and the comparative skills we should at least be able to field a good team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am watching the ladies hockey now and surely with all our camogie players and the comparative skills we should at least be able to field a good team.

We have two very good teams, men and women, both of which just failed to qualify this year.

Men are ranked 16th and women 14th.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    We have two very good teams, men and women, both of which just failed to qualify this year.

Men are ranked 16th and women 14th.

Very good I didn't know that

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Eh did one of the GB cyclists just admit to pullign some kind of fast one on BBC interview?!??!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Just out of interest, what sports did you all participate in via your schools curriculum and what country was that in?

Would be interesting to see a range of different countries to make comparisons with.

Just out of interest, what sports did you all participate in via your schools curriculum and what country was that in?

Would be interesting to see a range of different countries to make comparisons with.

We just done PE and that was a range of sports I don't think there was a curriculum as there was no exam.

I played basketball, running mainly the sprint events, GAA and volleyball which I was shlt at.

Gaelic football.
    Gaelic football in the rain.
    Gaelic football in the snow.
    Getting beat up for not being good at Gaelic football.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Eh did one of the GB cyclists just admit to pullign some kind of fast one on BBC interview?!??!!?

Yes he did, a very very foolish thing for him to have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Murderball it was called!

• Advertisement

C'mon ze lochtenator

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Murderball it was called!

We did also "play" this "game" where everyone threw rocks at each other.
    No really. Really. Everyday at 11 this happened for 15 mins.

Though I can't say it was part of the school curriculum. Mostly the teachers just ignored it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This should be an exciting one!

What is the atmosphere like over there? did you get to go to the Olympic park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What did he say?

We did also "play" this "game" where everyone threw rocks at each other.
    No really. Really. Everyday at 11 this happened for 15 mins.

Though I can't say it was part of the school curriculum. Mostly the teachers just ignored it

Apparently that is banned now, claims etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

What did he actually say?

OMG Lochte is only THIRD?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lochte 3rd. :eek:

• Advertisement

Gee that's a surprise. Lochte holding out? Took it for granted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

FUCKINGTON!

Putting all his eggs in one basket for the medley?

He's pissed off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Tough for Lochte to have to swim again so soon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

One of the GB cyclists is half-German and was asked did he intentionally fall in the first race and 'pull a fast one'. His English isn't great and he said 'yes I wanted to go fast'.

• Advertisement

Don't know about ye but if I were British I'd definitely come out with no headphones! Hearing that roar alone must be incredible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Did a bit of everything:

Rugby, Soccer, Javelin, Hockey, Shot Putt, High Jump, and f**king Cross Country to name a few

Olympic Handball was our game in primary school. There was no football coz we were an all girls school. :(

I captained the hockey team in first year but they pulled us coz they didn't want to be spending money on us going here and there. Gaelic football was the game in our secondary school.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Olympic Handball was our game. There was no football coz we were an all girls school. :(

I did handball as well, I use to enjoy that.

But it wasn't the olympic game it was the GAA game played in a kind of squash court and a small but pretty hard ball.

I did boxing as well till I got battered and that was all i wanted of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

PE classess twice a week I think, at 45 mins each. A bit of basketball, badminton, indoor hockey, tumbling and stuff. Coming into the summer, we might have a few classes of tennis, and a week or so before school sports day, we'd do shot put, discus, long jump. etc.

It was pretty rubbish really in my school!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

PE classess twice a week I think, at 45 mins each. A bit of basketball, badminton, indoor hockey, tumbling and stuff. Coming into the summer, we might have a few classes of tennis, and a week or so before school sports day, we'd do shot put, discus, long jump. etc.

It was pretty rubbish really in my school!

Nothing worse than forgetting your gear on PE day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Colmustard wrote: »
    What is the atmosphere like over there? did you get to go to the Olympic park?

I live in Leitrim :D

I live in Leitrim :D

Ohhh Westendgirlie I assumed you lwere a west end girlie from London.

LOL

keith16 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than forgetting your gear on PE day.

The ol' bag would still make us go out in poxy spare gear they kept there. A few complaints of "stomach cramp" would put a stop to that :D

That Nordie swimming guy on RTE, Andrew, is cute. Nice twinkly eyes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

What did he say?

He said he knew he got a bad start, so basically threw himself to the ground to get a restart.

He said he knew he got a bad start, so basically threw himself to the ground to get a restart.

Oh, now that is controversial. That is something he should not have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Athletics, hockey, tennis, netball, swimming, and rounders. All girls school in London.

Wow Phelps kicked ass in 200m medley

Phelps swam well there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

PE was 9/10 times football for boys, basketball for girls. The odd time we might do something new but that led to complaints about how we werent doing football. We did to swimming once and I surprised most people by actually being good at a sport, I found football to be incredibly boring hence I must not be into any sport. Having an allergy to rises in body temperature I got a note from the doctor so I didnt have to do PE.

Could join the gaelic team, hurling wasn't popular at home. Joys of college I now get a huge range

We did rugby once and never again, there was bleeden murder on the pitch. I think the principle threw the rugby ball out after that afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The pundits for the swimming are great. Not up their own holes and decent for the aul joke.

Oh we did swimming too.

If I won a medal and our anthem was played, I'd be a blubbering mess. I really would!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

PE twice a week 1,2,3 years together and 4 5 and 6 together..

Had a choice between hurling, football, soccer, handball, basketball athletics and the girls could do hockey.

You picked at the start of the term and had to stick it till xmas and then pick again after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bill suggesting that we apply the 'granny rule' in recruiting better swimmers for Ireland. Sounds a bit desperate really.

garv123 wrote: »
    PE twice a week 1,2,3 years together and 4 5 and 6 together..

Had a choice between hurling, football, soccer, handball, basketball athletics and the girls could do hockey.

You picked at the start of the term and had to stick it till xmas and then pick again after.

Was that in Ireland?

Never heard of P.E arranged like that. Sounds great though.

Bill suggesting that we apply the 'granny rule' in recruiting better swimmers for Ireland. Sounds a bit desperate really.

Other counties don't seem to have a problem doing it when it comes to table tennis :pac:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/582164_10151140652401042_1188607066_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Other counties don't seem to have a problem doing it when it comes to table tennis :pac:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/582164_10151140652401042_1188607066_n.jpg

Two questions:

Where did you find this?

And how long have you been waiting for a reason to use it? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Was that in Ireland?

Never heard of P.E arranged like that. Sounds great though.

Hurling and football might give it away ;)

Senior cycle had it on a tuesday 2 classes before lunch for a hour and 20 mins and then again thursday evening last 2 classes for a hour and a half

Using forth, fifth and sixth years meant there was over 300 people doing it so each sport had plenty of people to do training and get games going. GAA was always the biggest followed by soccer.

It also meant that the GAA could get a full training session in without having to do it after school when people had study.

The school was big into GAA, athletics and handball.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement