Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Carmelo Anthony 10/12 3pts so far holy ****.. Only just turned it over just there but this is a ridicilous scoreline.. Assuming Nigeria are just plain ****e and not USA being unreal
    A combination of both.

USA lead 122-62 and there is till 9 minutes left. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

A combination of both.

USA lead 122-62 and there is till 9 minutes left. :eek:

60 pts - easy comeback :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

There's the record for highest score gone

Poor Nigeria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Was just down in the gym at my local pool and the place is jammed with Michael Phelps wannabees, the swimming bug has caught on. These aren't children either, 35 year old fellas thrashing in the water like fish on hooks. :D

I'll give it 2 weeks at best before their interest wains.

Commonly known as "Wimbledon syndrome" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Was just down in the gym at my local pool and the place is jammed with Michael Phelps wannabees, the swimming bug has caught on. These aren't children either, 35 year old fellas thrashing in the water like fish on hooks. :D

If 1 or 2 of them stick at it isn't it worth it... It is one of the things I love about the Olympics - gets you inspires to try a new sport or just get fit in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Deng LinLin looks about 7 years old.

LOL she got this last time around too, so much so that she was investigated. She's 20. Chinese gymnasts are never ever tall, it's not in their nature as a nation anyway. Occasionally one comes along that genuinely looks old enough to compete though.

That was a pretty crappy all-around as far as they go. Two top contenders were injured- Larisa Iordache had to water down her routines so much that she was well out of the running, has developed severe heel pain. Yao Jinnan has a thigh injury and has been well underpar at these games and Jordyn Wieber the current world champion was screwed out of qualifying by the 2 per country rule. Awful to see Komova's crappy vault landing and know she couldn't catch Gabby after that. Gabby was excellent today and hit everything, however her scores were extremely bloated, very overscored. She was not the only one, but hers were more out of line. It would have made it much more exciting to watch if everyone was scored fairly. Sad to see Mustafina fall and not be able to do the same vault as the others, which took her out of contention. And for Aly Raisman to fall foul of a tiebreaker rule. Funnily enough, the gymnastics governing body said earlier this year they were getting rid of it- it also caused much controversy at the 2008 games. Once again, it causes outrage and screws someone out of what they thought was a legit tie. Well done to Gabby but very sad to see such a depleted field and ridiculous scoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Yep, when they realise how dull swimming laps is, and that it's nowhere near as fun as when they'd go to the pool as kids! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I was one of those 4 years ago. Up until some technical problems in our pool in the past month or so, I was swimming 6 days a week.

Isn't it great to see those getting inspired? Why knock it.

• Advertisement

I was one of those 4 years ago. Up until some technical problems in our pool in the past month or so, I was swimming 6 days a week.

Isn't it great to see those getting inspired? Why knock it.
    Did someone throw a toaster into it?

Did someone throw a toaster into it?

No, theres a moveable floor that won't go down!

No, theres a moveable floor that won't go down!
    So it's not moveable? :pac:

Can't swim myself :( Would love to learn but the embarrassment would be too much.

Can't swim myself :( Would love to learn but the embarrassment would be too much.

Touché!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Lots of places have adult swim classes for all levels, I can swim but it's more brute force over technique. Would love to go for lessons if I had the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

My local tennis club has record numbers coming down around mid July each year. I wonder why!!!

In the BBall USA will walk it. Hopefully Spain put it up to them in final! How they didn't win even a silver at Athens seems remarkable now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Just out of interest, what sports did you all participate in via your schools curriculum and what country was that in?

Would be interesting to see a range of different countries to make comparisons with.

I grew up in the US, and we had PE every single day in high school. The more senior you were, the better sports you go to do. So everyone did swimming, basketball, volleyball, and softball, but the freshman got stuck with square dancing. :( Juniors and seniors got to do weightlifting, archery, gymnastics, and golf. After two years, you could opt out of gym and take dance classes instead.

We also got drivers ed :D and scared straight sex ed :eek: through PE class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

cgpg5 wrote: »
    In the BBall USA will walk it in.
    Did you see that ludicrous display last night? What was the USA coach thinking sending Kobe Bryant on that early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

god 166
    nicevery 150
    diegomaradonna 139
    jesus shaves 133
    tadghSk 130
    irish stew 129
    mynameisurl 129
    pherekydes 116
    samich 107
    sparks 100
    sparks 100
    mars bar 93
    barney92 90
    deftlefthand 88
    westendgirlie 77
    kfallon 58

Athletics starts today. Any of us with Kenya or Jamaica now get a stab at medals.

G'luck everyone :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

+ 1

The red button feature has been excellent. I wonder will there be any further advances in TV for the next Olympics.

The red button is excellent. Unfortunately the BBC is under huge political pressure to cut costs and it's something which they're cutting back on. They were always going to pull all the stops out for the 'home' Olympics but I'd be surprised if it's used quite like this for too many other sporting events in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The red button is excellent. Unfortunately the BBC is under huge political pressure to cut costs and it's something which they're cutting back on. They were always going to pull all the stops out for the 'home' Olympics but I'd be surprised if it's used quite like this for too many other sporting events in the future.

Well, its not like the BBC have any sport left, have they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Women's athletics.

Holy crap did you hear the roar of the crowd for Louise Hazel ???:eek:

el diablo wrote: »
    How the fook did Anthony Ogogo (and his "sensitive moafff") win against the Ukranian? :eek:

Oh god, that ad... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am top class at the old brick stroke myself. I'm a bit like a beached whale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Get in there Jessica. Wb for the hurdles in the heptathlon

Jess is unbelievable! What a performance!

Get in there Jessica. Wb for the hurdles in the heptathlon

C'MON JESS!!! Would love her to do well in light of the comments made about her weight by a high up GB athletics figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Did you see that ludicrous display last night? What was the USA coach thinking sending Kobe Bryant on that early?

The thing about the USA is that they always try to score FROM DOWNTOWN BABY!!

What Irish athletes are we looking out for today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What Irish athletes are we looking out for today?

Joannne Cuddihy in the 400m heats at 12 is the next one.

All the rest here http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/2012/0803/331863-olympics-day-7-the-irish-in-action/

keith16 wrote: »
    The thing about the USA is that they always try to score FROM DOWNTOWN BABY!!

The best part is your man the co-analyst can't get a word in edgeways.

"You know Tim, I really think..." "SHLAAAAAM DUNKKKKK"

• Advertisement

Nice one Greene....made that look easy

Nice one Greene....made that look easy

Great chance for gold they reckon!

There's Joanne. C'mon Ireland!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

another let-down there, way outside her best...just like the swimmers, not producing their best at the olympics, not delivering when it counts, no wonder some people here are trying to commandeer british athletes

Gold for GB women in double sculls!

Wouldnt mind being that bar getting knocked off by Jess Ennis' bum.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

donfers wrote: »
    another let-down there, way outside her best...just like the swimmers, not producing their best at the olympics, not delivering when it counts, no wonder some people here are trying to commandeer british athletes

Its 5 years since she posted the national record of 50.73, she has been posting 52sec ish times for the last number of years so not sure what your expectations were exactly?

Dont mind other sports but for some reason I dont like watchign athletics in the rain. Swimming (if you can get to see an outdoor event) and rowing are cool looking in the rain.

Good to see the 80's legwarmers getting a 2nd lease of life on the arms.:)

• Advertisement

cgpg5 wrote: »
    The best part is your man the co-analyst can't get a word in edgeways.

"You know Tim, I really think..." "SHLAAAAAM DUNKKKKK"

Lol.....the funniest thing to me is the other guy tries to sound as excited as Tim.....but just cant' deliver:D
    What's Tim's surname ? Does he have a fan club ? I want to join :)

Why do people keep coming out with this commandeer British athletes crap ?

It is possible to support an individual athlete without declaring your undying loyalty to their nation you realise. For example I was shouting for Phelps - does that make me an American supporter ? I will be shouting for Bolt - does that make me a Jamaican supporter ? No - I just like those individual athletes. Equally, if it so happens I like a British athlete that does not make me a British supporter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Alan Campbell gets Bronze in rowing single sculls.The Chambers brothers get silver yesterday in the lightweight fours. 3 medals to Coleraine boys.

Jesus, Ennis flew over that.

Joanne has qualified for the semis

another let-down there, way outside her best...just like the swimmers, not producing their best at the olympics, not delivering when it counts

It's always the same. It gets a bit tiring hearing the same thing every day at every Olympics: "Disappointment for Irish athletes today", "...didn't qualify from heats...", "...way outside his PB" etc. etc.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Its 5 years since she posted the national record of 50.73, she has been posting 52sec ish times for the last number of years so not sure what your expectations were exactly?

she herself just said she was very disappointed with the run and she said it wasn't good enough, so you and I can debate this but what she thinks is what counts and I agree with her that she can perform better

anyway fair play, at least she qualified for the next round

• Advertisement

Sea Filly wrote: »
    It's always the same. It gets a bit tiring hearing the same thing every day at every Olympics: "Disappointment for Irish athletes today", "...didn't qualify from heats...", "...way outside his PB" etc. etc.

But why should we expect anymore ?
    We are broke and even when we did have money we didn't put it into sports (well you konw other than buidling Croke Park for the GAA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sea Filly wrote: »

The Good news is that she has qualified for Semi Final.

She would have came 2nd in 2 of the other heats also.

But of course some are just waiting to have a dig whenever they can.

Ooooh the steeple chase. I love watching this :D

Why do people keep coming out with this commandeer British athletes crap ?

It is possible to support an individual athlete without declaring your undying loyalty to their nation you realise. For example I was shouting for Phelps - does that make me an American supporter ? I will be shouting for Bolt - does that make me a Jamaican supporter ? No - I just like those individual athletes. Equally, if it so happens I like a British athlete that does not make me a British supporter

I neither criticised or supported this support team gb thing, people can do what they like so i'd suggest you vent your spleen at someone who cares

Uh-Oh 2 fallers.

Ok, they are back up running

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement