Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The Good news is that she has qualified for Semi Final.

She would have came 2nd in 2 of the other heats also.

But of course some are just waiting to have a dig whenever they can.

i would much much prefer to be the type of person who has "a dig" as you put it than the happy-clappy, head in the sand, accept everything types.

we can either ask the hard questions, be self-critical and hope to progress

or just go along for the party, give it a shot, pat ourselves on the back no matter the result and rinse and repeat

one of the above formulas will lead to success, the other won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

donfers wrote: »
    i would much much prefer to be the type of person who has "a dig" as you put it than the happy-clappy, head in the sand, accept everything types.

we can either ask the hard questions, be self-critical and hope to progress

or just go along for the party, give it a shot, pat ourselves on the back no matter the result and rinse and repeat

one of the above formulas will lead to success, the other won't

Of course we should expect more, from some people.

But lets take step back to 2004 when it was a really pathetic Olympics from our point of view.

We have had 5th in Team Event in Equestrian and Top 10 in Salmon and with bit of luck we maybe just get medal in sailing(fingers crossed).

Those results deserved to be praised. Fair enough our Swimmers have not performed and they need to be looked at, but there is more to Olympics then just medals too.

What were you expecting at this stage may I ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I neither criticised or supported this support team gb thing, people can do what they like so i'd suggest you vent your spleen at someone who cares

Fair enough. There has been those on this thread in the last day or too trolling along those lines you see - hence my preemptive strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

What channel will Annalise Murphy be on for the Sailing?

WTF ?

Did anyone just see little remote control cars driving around the athletics field in the background as a race is going on?

Whats that about ? Some new ridiculous sport I'm not aware of :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Of course we should expect more, from some people.

But lets take step back to 2004 when it was a really pathetic Olympics from our point of view.

We have had 5th in Team Event in Equestrian and Top 10 in Salmon and with bit of luck we maybe just get medal in sailing(fingers crossed).

Those results deserved to be praised. Fair enough our Swimmers have not performed and they need to be looked at, but there is more to Olympics then just medals too.

What were you expecting at this stage may I ask?

oh you make a fair point

I am not one of these "medals are everything" types

I mainly look for pb's/good results or near pb's

three riders on the equestrian team were excellent particularly Aoife

chloe in badminton and lisa in judo both gave everything and did themselves and us proud

swimmers were overall a disappointment (albeit there were sickness/form issues)

hannah did excellently to make a final and eoin was unlucky

sanita in the rowing did ok

sailers are going very well on the whole, boxers going ok but tougher tests to come

all I said initally about Joanne was it was a bit of a let-down but perhaps I spoke too soon, she qualified in the end and wasn't far off her best so apologies if I came off as a bit dismissive

ireland's olympic performance up to now is not too bad

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

she herself just said she was very disappointed with the run and she said it wasn't good enough, so you and I can debate this but what she thinks is what counts and I agree with her that she can perform better

anyway fair play, at least she qualified for the next round

Fair enough I am sure she feels that the is more in her, glad she got through. Still whether it was your intention or not your original post read as being quite harsh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Anyone hear the Rté commentator there (Hamilton?) for the 3000m Mens steeplechase heat 2?
    As the race finished, he said "and here's Kosinov from kazakhstan trailing in last" then the camera cuts to three more people coming to finish and one guy who had fallen at a hurdle.
    So he was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Katarina Johnson Thompson

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

oh you make a fair point

chloe in badminton and lisa in judo both gave everything and did themselves and us proud

sailers are going very well on the whole, boxers going ok but tougher tests to come

all I said initally about Joanne was it was a bit of a let-down but perhaps I spoke too soon, she qualified in the end and wasn't far off her best so apologies if I came off as a bit dismissive

Well thats fair enough.

I do agree about the PB or near PB, but injuries can be so cruel and takes its toll.

TBF I can see your points in last posts, but I just think some people can be very smart ass about what they say(not you, but others)

I do agree that we should be aiming higher in some sports, but still early days and you will always get disappointments.

I mean GB have had number of disappointments, but luckily enough they can be overshadowed by others who do well and they have the numbers too.

Hannah Craig yesterday beat a Girl who has been training at that venue all year.

Hopefully by end of next week we can come back with few medals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

The Good news is that she has qualified for Semi Final.

She would have came 2nd in 2 of the other heats also.

But of course some are just waiting to have a dig whenever they can.

I'm not getting a dig in, it's just disappointing.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Anyone hear the Rté commentator there (Hamilton?) for the 3000m Mens steeplechase heat 2?
    As the race finished, he said "and here's Kosinov from kazakhstan trailing in last" then the camera cuts to three more people coming to finish and one guy who had fallen at a hurdle.
    So he was wrong.

BREAKING NEWS:

RTE commentator in being wrong shocker!!:eek:

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was looking iffy for Ennis there for a min in th ehigh jump.

Team GB definately have one hell of a sexy trio of heptathletes.

When is Cuddihy running again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

WTF ?

Did anyone just see little remote control cars driving around the athletics field in the background as a race is going on?

Whats that about ? Some new ridiculous sport I'm not aware of :pac:
    There is remote control helicopters as well, for panning the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Originally Posted by donfers
    oh you make a fair point

I agree and a lot of people are writing us off but I still hold Ireland will win 3 medals and that will be a very successful Olympics for us.

Team GB definately have one hell of a sexy trio of heptathletes.

I know, I can't believe Jessica Ennis was called fat, I mean, WTactualF? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

yayyy track and field has started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Annalise in front on the first mark of race 7

Jacksquat wrote: »
    Annalise in front on the first mark of race 7

RTE just said the race is postponed ?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not postponed just delayed over half an hour from its 1.30 start, well underway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

Currently second...

http://london2012.bbc.co.uk/sailing/event/laser-radial-women/phase=saw103907/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Trampolining on today.

Just remembered our PE lessons

Athletics - long jump, high jump, hurdles, running (sprints & cross country)
    Swimming
    Netball (my fave)
    Hockey
    Badminton
    Squash
    Trampolining
    Tennis
    Dance - you could take this as an GCSE exam option too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

this seems to be the most reliable for up to date

http://www.london2012.com/sailing/event/laser-radial-women/phase=saw103907/index.html

Anyway I can't look at it anymore, I don't even know who the woman is or what type of boat she's in or what she's doing but I just get too nervous, would love a medal in anything

The Belgian is down in 13th at the moment so that is another positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not postponed just delayed over half an hour from its 1.30 start, well underway now

Is this on any of the BBC Olympic streams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

7 secs behind 1st, 16 secs ahead of 3rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I know, I can't believe Jessica Ennis was called fat, I mean, WTactualF? :eek:

The guy who said jessica ennis "has weight issues" is of the same mentality as the guy who wanted the lady boxers to wear skirts!! Fair dues to Katie taylor, and a few other of the female boxers for not putting up with that crap.

ahyeahok wrote: »
    Is this on any of the BBC Olympic streams?

I'm stuck with internet updates only myself, although I think remember reading a few people complaining elsewhere that it wasn't on TV at all, not 100% sure though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Federer and Del potro in a cracker on bbc 3. 1 set all and 4 - 4 with no breaks, this could go either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

@Annalise_Murphy her brother is on her twitter and facebook and gives a pretty good account of what's happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Are there any sports where men and women compete against each other on an equal footing I wonder? I thought archery or shooting might have fitted the bill.

Are there any sports where men and women compete against each other on an equal footing I wonder? I thought archery or shooting might have fitted the bill.

Equestrian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Equestrian is the only one afaik

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rté presenter Michael Lyster keeps referring to Czechoslovakia and Czechoslovak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Synchronised swimming.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Rté presenter Michael Lyster keeps referring to Czechoslovakia and Czechoslovak.

That's pretty morto. :o Scarle' for him.

el diablo wrote: »
    Synchronised swimming.

Have never seen that sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

plus the odd GAA reference thrown in :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Synchronised swimming.

Men aren't allowed compete at the Olympics

titan18 wrote: »
    Men aren't allowed compete at the Olympics

Why's that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Was watching the sailing there on the Beeb for half an hour there - it has to be the the worst spectator sport ever invented :o

2nd in the bag for Annalise good result.

2nd for Annalise, extends her overall lead to 8 points!

How does she stand overall now ?

Good stuff. How many more races are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why's that?

FINA don't sanction men to compete in their events, and the IOC haven't bothered to contest that. They compete in national and local events, just not World Championships or Olympics

Good stuff. How many more races are there?

3 more and a medal race for the Top 10 where points count as double

Brian017 wrote: »
    2nd for Annalise, extends her overall lead to 8 points!

She'll come fourth, won't she? :(

Cracking tennis match on BBC 3. one set all and 7 games each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RedRightHand

The shooting was quite good. RTE probably wouldn't broadcast it for fear of being seen as 'insensitive to the victims of gun violence'. Actually I'm surprised that the BBC broadcast it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement