Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

titan18 wrote: »
    Trying to think of how many countries have dominated a big sport so emphatically, and haven't been caught doing something illegal.

The US in the pool I suppose?

It really is quite spectacular the way things are going at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Bit of trivia the most watched sporting event ever, I would have said the World Cup final, or the European cup final but I would be wrong. Apparently it is a Badminton final with the Chinese star who is meant to be unbeatable, a verified audience of 1,3 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Trying to think of how many countries have dominated a big sport so emphatically, and haven't been caught doing something illegal.

Kenyans - long distance running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Jamaica in the sprints?

They don't dominate it that much though, it's Bolt and Blake in the mens (Blake was caught and banned before fwiw, Jamaicans gave him a 3 month ban, drug wasn't banned by WADA at the time), but the US compete well in the womens

Originally Posted by titan18
    Trying to think of how many countries have dominated a big sport so emphatically, and haven't been caught doing something illegal

The Chinese and table tennis, the Americans and Basketball, Koreans and archery, I can't think of anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Kenyans - long distance running

Ethiopians are just as good and there's the likes of Farah who can beat anyone around. But the East African dominance is about the closest I can think of to the the British cyclists atm, and I wouldn't say they're that close considering Britain are winning everything on track in world records, have the fastest sprinter in the world on the road, and the Tour de France winner

Ethiopians are just as good and there's the likes of Farah who can beat anyone around. But the East African dominance is about the closest I can think of to the the British cyclists atm, and I wouldn't say they're that close considering Britain are winning everything on track in world records, have the fastest sprinter in the world on the road, and the Tour de France winner

True.

Sales at Halfords are gonna go through the roof! :D

The British dominated the mile 1500 metres for a long time Bannister Coe Ovett Cram and many more. But not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

YAY! Go Pendleton!!!! What a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Gold medal match in the mens team fencing (sabre) on now. It really is enthralling.

Italy just won bronze. It's like football in a way, with the Italians particularly guilty of giving out to the ref etc...but in fairness the refs do make the odd mistake and do a quick video replay and reverse the decision if they are wrong.

• Advertisement

Pendelton Gold but jasus it was close. Another gold for team GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Colmustard wrote: »
    The Chinese and table tennis, the Americans and Basketball, Koreans and archery, I can't think of anymore.

S.Korea for taekwondo, they have over twice the medals in gold and total.
    Japan in judo, 3 times golds and twice the total.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Chinese in badminton (despite the hiccup this time in women's doubles).

Moreso - Chinese in table tennis.

Thought Mears had it with 2 laps to go, the Pendleton blitzed the field, then I thought she went too early...just timed it perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Jessica Ennis is a serious ride!

I had to look her up and yeah

http://sportschmucks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jessica-Ennis-e1343889503169.jpg

Damn seriously sexy! I wish I had abs like hers

Another gold medal for Michael Phelps in the 100m butterfly

Becky Addington is now swimming in the 800 final, good luck to her.

• Advertisement

She is not having it her own way come-on Addington.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I could be corrected here but iirc the British decided a good while ago to pick one sport and pump money into it's development so they can dominate it later on the global stage - hence all the cycling medals - the amount of money they have spent simply designing the bikes and the such like is extraordinary, fair play to them i say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Andy Murray is doing a job in the tennis at the minute. 1 set up and is holding his own in the second. The Serb is threatening though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I could be corrected here but iirc the British decided a good while ago to pick one sport and pump money into it's development so they can dominate it later on the global stage - hence all the cycling medals - the amount of money they have spent simply designing the bikes and the such like is extraordinary, fair play to them i say!

Part of that however is the extensive science and engineering tradition in the UK. Could we match that ?? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What time is conlan and nolan fighting?

15 yo destroying the field at the moment.

American though, so doubt there will be questions..

• Advertisement

I think it was Chris Boardman who started to design the bikes specifically for that event, he has a successful company now called "boardman bikes".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Team GB 0 Canada 2 and only 25 mins gone. :(

First goals team GB have conceded in these games.

Big surprise, Addlington only 3rd.

Addington only got a bronze

Class swim by Ledecky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

so 15 yr old USA 'woman' wins gold...wonder will the US coach suggest she has taken drugs? hmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Ledecky was brilliant, fair play to Adlington though - she has accepted it with good grace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

vicwatson wrote: »
    What time is conlan and nolan fighting?

20:45 ish and 21:45 ish, I think.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

HazDanz wrote: »
    Andy Murray is doing a job in the tennis at the minute. 1 set up and is holding his own in the second. The Serb is threatening though.

Djokovic will win that if he really wants to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 G.A.Ay

Big surprise, Addlington only 3rd.

I think Team Ireland would be thrilled with a bronze at the minute. :D

markie29 wrote: »
    so 15 yr old USA 'woman' wins gold...wonder will the US coach suggest she has taken drugs? hmmmmm

I am a neutral and I am suspicious of China for the pure reason that testers have to give the Chinese notice of their arrival.

For any other nation no notice is required.

But I had this argument with a brother today and he made a good point I think any visit to China requires a visa and notice.

have to say i have been impressed with Ian Thorpe on BBC.

edit....forgot to say that was an awesome swim by the young US girl!....frightening really she can do that at 15!

This guy with the mullet, he's way out of his depth here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

G.A.Ay wrote: »
    I think Team Ireland would be thrilled with a bronze at the minute. :D

Oh fcuk off with this shite. You've literally posted nothing but guff like the above in this thread over the last few days.

• Advertisement

el diablo wrote: »
    Djokovic will win that if he really wants to.

I don't know... He's hitting a few unforced errors Djokovic and Murray's first serve percentage is pretty decent, good enough to make his service games a bit more manageable than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

markie29 wrote: »
    have to say i have been impressed with Ian Thorpe on BBC.

He makes a good point that the improvements seen in the times of the teenage swimmers (20 seconds this season off Ledecky's best 800m time) are typical of the size of annual improvements for 'age group' swimmers

Colmustard wrote: »
    I am a neutral and I am suspicious of China for the pure reason that testers have to give the Chinese notice of their arrival.

For any other nation no notice is required.

But I had this argument with a brother today and he made a good point I think any visit to China requires a visa and notice.
    In fairness most countries require a visa for entry, and the US requires prior notification I think.

Ciarán O' Lionaírd about to go in 1500m

el diablo wrote: »
    This guy with the mullet, he's way out of his depth here.

Ciaran Leonard, I mean.

O' Lionaírd finishes 13th of 14. Disappointing.

Murray-Federer final on the grass at Wimbledon yet again.

Think Murray might do it this time.

Andy Murray through to tennis men's final. Won in straight sets. Guaranteed silver or gold now. He played great stuff this evening :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Murray in tennis final

• Advertisement

Just watching the women's heats for the 100 metres. Everyone always knows the fastest man in the world but I would say not many know the fastest woman.

I don't anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement