Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Colmustard wrote: »
    Just watching the women's heats for the 100 metres. Everyone always knows the fastest man in the world but I would say not many know the fastest woman.

I don't anyway.
    Flo-Jo 1987

No woman has come close since, Marion Jones the closest I think...and well we know how that was done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

ooo Bill is getting annoyed!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

ooo Bill is getting annoyed!:mad:

Details?

Details?

He just went on a rant about Irish athletes being allowed compete when they are off form or sick and was calling for stricter guidelines.

A tad unfair methinks. But he was quite angry in saying it. Surprisingly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Goro

So the Ukrainian Boxer Ievgen Khytrov knocked seven shades of shyte out of the British boxer Anthony Ogogo and still lost.

The Judges aren't biased at all of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Manaudou wins 50m freestyle. Suprising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Flo-Jo 1987

No woman has come close since, Marion Jones the closest I think...and well we know how that was done

Didn't Flo Jo drop dead of heart failure at a very young age, the abuse of performance enhancement drugs was speculated as a cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Why do so many of our athletes get "gastro" problems shortly before they compete? Grainne Murphy, Melanie Nocher etc.

Same happened when Sonia O'Sullivan was pissing out her ass in Atlanta... :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

He just went on a rant about Irish athletes being allowed compete when they are off form or sick and was calling for stricter guidelines.

A tad unfair methinks. But he was quite angry in saying it. Surprisingly so.

Agree, quite unfair, athletes are constantly being asked to perform at high profile events when they might not be 100% - the reason we don't do well at the olympics is more to do with a lack national development rather than being off form

el diablo wrote: »
    Why do so many of our athletes get "gastro" problems shortly before they compete? Grainne Murphy, Melanie Nocher etc.

Same happened when Sonia O'Sullivan was pissing out her ass in Atlanta... :confused:

Ireland has one of the highest rates of irritable bowel disease in the world.
    Maybe this has something to do with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Michael Conlan boxing for Ireland in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

C'mon Conlon!!!!!!!!!!

Goro wrote: »

I speculate that that may have something to do with the high amouts of alcohol we consume as a nation.

I speculate that that may have something to do with the high amouts of alcohol we consume as a nation.

That and the fact that our tap water is made of rocks, chlorine, chalk and fluoride.

Goro wrote: »

Does it ? never heard that before! Got a link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Louise Hazel. Hot.

Edit: Wins her heat.

HazDanz wrote: »
    Louise Hazel. Hot.

She's no Jessica Ennis :D

I wish Jimmy Magee would satop waxing lyrical about how amazing Conlon is before he's won even one fight in the Games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm not as confident as Jimmy is about Conlan winning this fight.

I wish Jimmy Magee would satop waxing lyrical about how amazing Conlon is before he's won even one fight in the Games!

Yeah, love the way he described it as a masterclass at the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Ah he was always well in control

Conlon wins 19-8, very impressive, this guy looks like a real medal prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Super stuff though :)

What? It was never in doubt, Conlon dominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

great win by Conlan and little known fact jimmy magee commentated on the first modern olympics in 1896 ;)

A question if you were motivated, encouraged and you got on an Olympic programme what do you think your sport could have been.

I was a great sprinter, I am tall with very long legs I think in another life I could have done well in the long or triple jump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

markie29 wrote: »
    great win by Conlan and little known fact jimmy magee commentated on the first modern olympics in 1896 ;)
    A lesser known fact is that Jimmy also commentated on the last ancient Olympics in 393.

Michael Caruth looks like he is losing weight - he was houuuggggeee there a few months back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

A lesser known fact is that Jimmy also commentated on the last ancient Olympics in 393.

older than Methuselah :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Ah come on now, Jimmy was only a toddler for those Olympics.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Some slap thrown there by the french lad if anyone still has rte left on. decent fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Jimmy getting into dodgy territory with talk of a "black out" in London!! Wasn't sure where he was going with it for a second!

A question if you were motivated, encouraged and you got on an Olympic programme what do you think your sport could have been.

I was a great sprinter, I am tall with very long legs I think in another life I could have done well in the long or triple jump.

Hockey, loved it when I was at school, unfortunately we didn't have a school team. It was just something that I seemed to pick up naturally. All stopped when I moved though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

You would get banned on this website for that comment Jimmy MaGee made yet he can say it on National TV...strange world.

BTW: Not for 1 second do I think he mean it as a racist slur

keith16 wrote: »
    Jimmy getting into dodgy territory with talk of a "black out" in London!! Wasn't sure where he was going with it for a second!

Yeah the boot thing was ok. His next comment was :eek:

• Advertisement

Me - swimming in summer.
    Super GS in winter :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

"If there's a blackout here at least you'll see his boots, because you mightn't see the rest of him". Jimmy Magee ladies and gentlemen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Maybe kayaks or canoes or some of them things because the one time in my life I was in one I just picked up the paddle and was flying along like a rocket when everyone else was struggling to move or avoid running into each other because they were only able to paddle well on one side so kept going sideways :P could have been a natural if I had a chance :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Great run by Jessica Ennis in the 200m, not as stunning as the 100m hurdles but still good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Who was that lad interviewed on RTE just now talking about quitting etc?

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

Ciaran Leonard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭cgc5483

fullstop wrote: »

ciaran o lionard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Oooooh an Irish girl running in this, whatever it is, Britton. Effin' bbc didnt even mention her, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Thought it was a horrible interview. Poor lad just wanted to get away.

10,000m final. CMON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just flicked over half way through, seemed to have a pretty poor attitude (and I know he was frustrated etc)

Fair play London they just gave Britton a big cheer

Racquetball :D They're trying to get it into the olympics.. Its played more so worldwide than fencing and bmx'n and beach volleyball and they're all in it.

Played in the worlds u14 and Ireland hosted the Mens/womens worlds a few years ago too.
    Always had problems with my arm and then I'd surgery on the knee and that really killed off the real competitiveness I had. Great feeling getting to represnt your country at any age and im sorry I stopped playing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Mmm Lisa Uhl looked kinda hot there.

25 laps/ half a hour... god this will be exciting

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement