Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I see Ciaran o Lionards twitter ( @gociaran ) is now offline.

He was complaining about "haters" last night. Only skimmed back his timeline a bit, bit I saw nothing but good comments.

The RTE vulchers couldnt wait to get in and interview him after the race. They know his personality, they know he was injured and they know he ran a stinker of a race. But they could smell a story, the panel in the studio weren't too happy that he was interviewed.

Also, thank you Jimmy Magee for giving me the first "Did he really say that?" moment of the Olympics with his comment about blackouts and a certain boxers boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

London was the aim for our progression in the games. The home event if you will. But yet the reality is apart from a couple of boxing medals (hopefully) it will once again be abject failure for Team Ireland, the grants are being wasted on these losers. I guess we all better blame the GAA.

The grants system we have is pathetic. Basically, to get a grant of a certain level, you need to achieve the standard that grant supposedly is intended to help you reach. In essence, you get funding as soon as you've proven you don't need it. The sports council rewards achievement after the fact, rather than investing and developing. Total cock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Morrison currently in 42nd place in the tri-athlon. On the cycling leg now, a lot of the riders seem to be hitting the deck at a particular corner...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

After months of training ahead of the Olympics i have just achieved my Personal Best with a time of 12.85 secs !

I was so quick Jessica Ennis was still taking off her tracksuit !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Hopeful our sailing girl Murphy can claim something. I fear another blowout for her though.

She'll come fourth, mark my words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Another disaster- this time Aileen Morrison in the triathlon.

pressure mounting on Katie Taylor by the second.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Jessica Ennis up for the long jump now.

Not a great jump but at least she has posted a jump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Pistorius finished second in his 400m heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Fair play to Pistorius. He's rather fast for a fellow with no legs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

keith16 wrote: »
    Pistorius finished second in his 400m heat.

Interesting by Michael Johnson - the crowd accept him on condition he doesn't win, if he starts clocking good times the public may start saying that his prostetics give him an unfair advantage.

Will be interesting to see the reaction if that does happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The European 400m record is going down! Which twin will get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Kersh

Dead heat in triathlon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ennis with a much better jump! She's in first now I think. Has an opening day record point total!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

That looks a good jump from Ennis.

EDIT: 6.40. Get in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Kersh wrote: »
    Dead heat in triathlon!

You don't say! Holy fook!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

43rd for our world number 7 aileen morrison in the triathlon

very disappointing to see irish athletes underachieve rather than overachieve in the olympics

she did have a fall in the cycling but still that's a huge gap

and with the event being held in London we can't really blame conditions, humidity etc.

pity we can't manage things a bit better so we are all peaking at this event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

That was very sad the Irish women I believe in the 1500 last night being interviewed after it and she felt like she let people down and Ireland, bull****, every athlete does us proud no matter what!

That was very sad the Irish women I believe in the 1500 last night being interviewed after it and she felt like she let people down and Ireland, bull****, every athlete does us proud no matter what!

that was fionnuola britton in the 10,000 metres, european cross-country champion and new to the track - she always gives it everything and did again last night, she let nobody down, she might be better suited to the marathon though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

donfers wrote: »
    43rd for our world number 7 aileen morrison in the triathlon

very disappointing to see irish athletes underachieve rather than overachieve in the olympics

she did have a fall in the cycling but still that's a huge gap

and with the event being held in London we can't really blame conditions, humidity etc.

pity we can't manage things a bit better so we are all peaking at this event

She not really 7th in World in that she has chosen her events wisely and that has seen her rise in rankings.

Still 43rd is very poor I agree. Would have expected Top 20 with Top 15 within her reach.

Disappointing and not good enough either.

Hopefully thats the bad news out of the way for the day.

Redgrave and Inverdale saying it was out of order that the MC guy at the rowing was basically encouraging the crowd to boo Australia, if so that's out of order for an Olympic final

GB add another gold in the rowing anyway beating the Australian four by a second

australia still having a nightmare at the olympics, along with russia - will be disappointed with their medal total so far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

Team GB up to 3 in the medal standings, Ireland yet to register:(

Liz McColgan's daughter coming up in a heat (assume the steeplechase as thats what on and being discussed now, nut missed most of what was said). Had to check her wiki page cos I didnt think she was gone that long to have a daughter competing now. Bloody hell , it's late 80's , early 90's I was watching her. Time flies.....

Stephanie Reilly running now for Ireland.

She not really 7th in World in that she has chosen her events wisely and that has seen her rise in rankings.

Still 43rd is very poor I agree. Would have expected Top 20 with Top 15 within her reach.

Disappointing and not good enough either.

Hopefully thats the bad news out of the way for the day.

There's no difference between 43rd or 15th. Both are nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

No luck for stephanie :-( ah well onwards and upwards! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Guys & girls, it's been an absolute pleasure reading all of your comments, jokes and analysis in here the last week.

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to London for the week to watch as much as I possibly can!

Really hope I'm able to cheer on an Irish medal (and obviously some British ones).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Two golds in two races for Great Britain at Dorney Lake this morning.

Fantastic reaction to winning the gold from Sophie Hosking and Katherine Copeland, so pleased for them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

McColgan is better looking than her ould wan anyway :D

EDIT: actually seeing her on track I may need to reconsider, she looked better in the post race interview!

Oh my god! Purchase and hunter stopped in the lw2x

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Guys & girls, it's been an absolute pleasure reading all of your comments, jokes and analysis in here the last week.

Now if you don't mind, I'm off to London for the week to watch as much as I possibly can!

Really hope I'm able to cheer on an Irish medal (and obviously some British ones).

Tell Jess Ennis to PM me and we'll hook up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

Its very easy to spot the people who have never competed at anything in their lives on here, it's giving me a laugh anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Bolt on the track in fifteen mins (12.30) . . . .

Beep beep :)

What happened there?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Bolton on the track in fifteen mins (12.30) . . . .

Beep beep :)

Is Kevin Davies playing?:)

i hope the rules are applied correctly here, they may be gold favourites but they should be disqualified if the rules were broken - there has been an element of skullduggery already with british athletes bending the rules or being afforded generous decisions in cycling, boxing and sailing

edit: they've been allowed back in, officials said it occurred within 100 metres, looked tight to me - i'd say we'll be hearing more about this

donfers wrote: »
    i hope the rules are applied correctly here, they may be gold favourites but they should be disqualified if the rules were broken - there has been an element of skullduggery already with british athletes bending the rules or being afforded generous decisions in cycling, boxing and sailing

What? like when they disqualified one of GB's big medal hope, Pendleton?

leahyl wrote: »

What happened there?

Not sure, looked like the bow man's seat came off its rail so he couldn't row. You have to be within the 1st 100 metres to allow for equipment failure, and was very close to it. Re-race should be very interesting

I can never help watching all the people cycling along the bank to see if theres a pile up when it shows the wide shots of the rowing.:)

I can see the Danes nicking this.......

They're visibly stroking quicker.

Unreal race!! Bad luck for GB - still got silver though

• Advertisement

Denmark take it in the last 50 or so.

Gb winning up till the last 250 metres but a monumental push by Denmark sees then take gold, classic lightweight rowing there. The restart kind of stunk though, I reckon gb where luck to have even been allowed to re race it.

Men's 100 m heats starting now - love these!

Gb winning up till the last 250 metres but a monumental push by Denmark sees then take gold, classic lightweight rowing there. The restart kind of stunk though, I reckon gb where luck to have even been allowed to re race it.

Mechanical failure with the boat, judged to be within the first one hundred metres of the race. According to the BBC it was the right decision to allow them to restart as the rules stand at the moment.

Very sad for them both at the moment, they look devestated. From a GB point of view though its not been a bad day at Dorney.

As Tyson Gay has just won it gives us all time o remember this and snigger :D

http://www.mediaite.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Picture-38.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Backed Gay @ 18/1 and Blake at 2/1 in case Bolt isn't right.Analise's Murphy's race is delayed due to a false start the GB athlete could be in trouble, which is good news.

• Advertisement

Oh dear, all getting very emotional on the BBC.

Even the presenter, John Inverdale, is struggling to hold back the tears!

patmac wrote: »
    Backed Gay @ 18/1 and Blake at 2/1 in case Bolt isn't right.Analise's Murphy's race is delayed due to a false start the GB athlete could be in trouble, which is good news.

Can we see it on TV?

What time is Paddy Barnes on, does anyone know?

delighted for denmark - brilliant race

GB still going great guns in the medal table - investment in training and facilities in the right sports is the answer

it's all about intelligent investment though

we don't have a lot of cash but we ain't spending what little we do have well]

i don't see the point in us sending a pole vaulter who has three vaults and doesn't make a single clearance and another older lady who competed in 1992 and has just come 33rd in the dressage

GB did the right thing in targetting events where there wasn't a lot of competition (comparatively speaking) and where it was easier to win medals like rowing and cycling

yes we are a smaller nation and have lots of competing team sports at home and don't invest a lot but we are capable of better but we need to be wiser and cuter and more targeted/focused

it seems to me at the moment the policy is to just throw a load of mud at the wall and see what sticks

el diablo wrote: »
    Can we see it on TV?

What time is Paddy Barnes on, does anyone know?

2pm according to RTE

Usain Bolt is so damn cool! And cute to boot :-D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement