Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Dwain Chambers I am off the opinion he should have got a lifetime ban

Drug cheats should not be tolerated.

But that was a good run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Dwain Chambers proving The Verve wrong there :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Has Phillips Idowu turned up yet? Has to show before tomorrow evenign I think to be allowed compete

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Whats teh deal with Kim Collins not starting? Missed it.

If it's the dude from St. Kitts then apparently he broke curfew with his wife and has been sent home by the St. Kitts IOC - seems they had to show that the rules apply to everyone regardless of stature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Chambers impressive there his chemist must be proud!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

patmac wrote: »
    Chambers impressive there his chemist must be proud!

The MUSCLES on him!! :-O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

GB had more canoe problems again. That's twice in two days.

Yesterday they admitted it was a plan to get the race restarted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

If it's the dude from St. Kitts then apparently he broke curfew with his wife and has been sent home by the St. Kitts IOC - seems they had to show that the rules apply to everyone regardless of stature.
    Heard this earlier and I was astonished. To send home a real medal hope from a country I only heard of because of Kim Collins himself for visiting his wife is fucking madness.

Idiots!

Heard this earlier and I was astonished. To send home a real medal hope from a country I only heard of because of Kim Collins himself for visiting his wife is fucking madness.

Idiots!

Yeah it would be like us sending our captain home from a World Cup....oh wait :o

That's ridiculous though Powell was outside his lane fair is fair, thems the rules dammit!

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    That's ridiculous though Powell was outside his lane fair is fair, thems the rules dammit!

Was he DQ'd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Annalise in 2nd, the Belgian down in 8th!

Does anyone know when Annalise is sailing??????????

Edit Now apparently going by the last post.

Switching to the sailing.

kfallon wrote: »

Was he DQ'd?

Nope - I think they were saying someone had to put in a challenge or something for anything to be done. RTE panellists were saying that he didn't impinge on anyone elses race but that's not the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Idiots!

You break the rules then prepare to suffer the consequences. Why should he be exempt?

Nope - I think they were saying someone had to put in a challenge or something for anything to be done. RTE panellists were saying that he didn't impinge on anyone elses race but that's not the point!

I agree, rules are rules, part of the whole race is staying in your own lane, if you can't do that you should be out!

kfallon wrote: »
    I agree, rules are rules, part of the whole race is staying in your own lane, if you can't do that you should be out!

I'm guessing that no-one bothered to complain, ergo he stays

Good throw from Ennis. She can let rip now n the next 2 and try get a massive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

How is Annalise doing? I'm really hoping today is a success for her.

Call me Al wrote: »

3rd at the mo

• Advertisement

xxyyxx wrote: »
    You break the rules then prepare to suffer the consequences. Why should he be exempt?
    Because he has a chance to win a medal! Common sense should be used.

If Katie Taylor was sent home for visiting her BF/GF there would be uproar here.

It doesn't seem to be on anywhere.

I heard some analyst say she is at her best when conditions are tough, she is very tall 6,2 so she can really lean into the strong winds. Conditions look right for her.

Come-on Annalise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

http://www.london2012.com/sailing/event/laser-radial-women/phase=saw103909/index.html?v=9092012080413

For very quick, stage by stage updates on Annalise, try above. Good start, battling for 2nd with the Belgian down in 8th, so a great chance to regain overall lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Because he has a chance to win a medal! Common sense should be used.

If Katie Taylor was sent home for visiting her BF/GF there would be uproar here.

Double standards shouldn't prevail anywhere. Everyone should follow the same rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Annalise just finished 3rd

Edit: Belgian finished 8th, so Annlise back in 1st overall with a 4 point gap. Chinese girl who did really well yesterday won the race and is no joint 2nd with the Belgian.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Colmustard wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be on anywhere.

I heard some analyst say she is at her best when conditions are tough, she is very tall 6,2 so she can really lean into the strong winds. Conditions look right for her.

Come-on Annalise.

Ya was watching it on BBC,they showed a bit of it but the GB girl was disqualified for jumping the start so the beeb boys lost interest and cut to the the wind surfing then

xxyyxx wrote: »
    Double standards shouldn't prevail anywhere. Everyone should follow the same rules.
    But they do prevail everywhere it's a fact of life, rules are there to be broken ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Jacksquat

Great result, Takes back overall lead

Thats some jacket by Kenny Egan

• Advertisement

Well done Annalise back in the overall lead tight between 1st-4th though

A bad final race for the Belgian, Chinese and Dutch would do lovely!

What way does the sailing work? Theres a medal race on Monday or somesuch?

I'll hold my hands up to having no interest in sailing, I'll watch most sports but just can't get in to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

****ing hell I've had enough with rte. Ten minutes of ads and now it's more talking heads. Is there actually nothing on!? Such ****ing bull****. I'm turning it off until I can be somewhere else.

Seems to be a lot of people watching on RTE. Is this through lack of choice or actually choosing it over BBC?

Dont think I've turned on RTE once since the Olympics atarted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'll hold my hands up to having no interest in sailing, I'll watch most sports but just can't get in to it.

Ten races, after the ten the top 10 contestants go on to the medal race. This race counts for double points, and these are added to the cumulative score to determine the winner.

Brian017 wrote: »
    3rd at the mo

Analise 3 after 6 legs,if things stay the same she would have a 4 point lead with two races left.

• Advertisement

Ditto it is baffling, but if Ireland have an Olympic medal prospect I would watch an egg and spoon race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It is most definitely the point:

4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he
    (a) is pushed or forced by another person to step or run outside his
    lane or on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable
    border, or
    (b) steps or runs outside his lane in the straight or outside the outer
    line of his lane on the bend,
    with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other athlete
    being jostled or obstructed so as to impede his progress.
    Note: Material advantage includes improving his position by any
    means, including removing himself from a “boxed” position in the
    race by having stepped or run inside the inside edge of the track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Seems to be a lot of people watching on RTE. Is this through lack of choice or actually choosing it over BBC?

Dont think I've turned on RTE once since the Olympics atarted.

Lack of choice here. I just turned back on and ads are on again! They didn't show anything at all except talking heads? This is depressing.

Switching between both, watch Rte when a British competitor is involved so as to see the whole race from a neutral perspective.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Ten races, after the ten the top 10 contestants go on to the medal race. This race counts for double points, and these are added to the cumulative score to determine the winner.

So you could hammer everyone and win all 10 races then still not get a medal? **** that.

• Advertisement

Switching between both, watch Rte when a British competitor is involved so as to see the whole race from a neutral perspective.

How so? The commentary you mean? Thats the only difference.

I'm watching the Athletics at the minute. Couldnt be doing with that ****e of RTE switching between loads of different sports. At this stage of the game , tv shoudl work to suit the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Thats some jacket by Kenny Egan

Ya,he needs to sack the stylist!!

Colmustard wrote: »
    Ditto it is baffling, but if Ireland have an Olympic medal prospect I would watch an egg and spoon race.

Just a pity its not getting much coverage,I know feck all about it but if we have a serious medal prospect in it then Il watch it,you would think RTE would show or try and get some coverage of it instead of just updating us with what we can find out for ourselves on RTE.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

So you could hammer everyone and win all 10 races then still not get a medal? **** that.

No No, the score over the ten races is added to the score in the medal race. You could potentially have a gold before the medal race!

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    No No, the score over the ten races is added to the score in the medal race. You could potentially have a gold before the medal race!

Ah right, that sounds better.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Shryke wrote: »
    Lack of choice here. I just turned back on and ads are on again! They didn't show anything at all except talking heads? This is depressing.

Completely in the same boat. It's shocking truth be told. Plus the way they "end" one program.....ads.......intro.....ok we're back....time for ads.

New lifetime best in the Javelin for Ennis. Surely its gold with just the 800m to go. Hope nothing goes wrong there.

Pherekydes wrote: »

It is most definitely the point:

4. An athlete shall not be disqualified if he
    (a) is pushed or forced by another person to step or run outside his
    lane or on or inside the kerb or line marking the applicable
    border, or
    (b) steps or runs outside his lane in the straight or outside the outer
    line of his lane on the bend,
    with no material advantage thereby being gained and no other athlete
    being jostled or obstructed so as to impede his progress.
    Note: Material advantage includes improving his position by any
    means, including removing himself from a “boxed” position in the
    race by having stepped or run inside the inside edge of the track.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up and post it :-P there was a guy in the lane next to him just behind him but because the guy qualified he obv didn't mind too much but if he hadn't I'd say he'd have something to say about it.

Still, and I'm no athletics expert (as you can prob guess!), I'd imagine it's not very good form to be running outside your lane for no apparent reason. He wouldn't want to be making a habit of it otherwise he'll be disqualified eventually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

I'm surprised RTE are now showing sports with British competitors in it now. Last night they showed neither the womens keirin final (Pendleton) nor the womens 800m freestyle (Addlington), choosing instead to show Bill waffling with talking heads in the studio.

Obviously RTE think their audience prefer chit chat to watching medals being won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

C'mon Paddy, burst him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement