Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

At least the boxing is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭delad

Fcuk sake have to mute Jimmy Magee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Crikey, these lads are tiny. 7 stone 7 pounds. :eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »

I don't get why Ireland has such an abundance of smaller fighters but hardly any middleweights or heavyweights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el diablo wrote: »

Did you see the massive guy in the Judo on BBC last night? 34 stone or something. They said he weighed 6 stone more than the entire Chinese womens Gymnastics team.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Trampolining is on! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Did you see the massive guy in the Judo on BBC last night? 34 stone or something. They said he weighed 6 stone more than the entire Chinese womens Gymnastics team.:)

Yep, saw him. Think he was from Guam. He was no good though. He got beaten by a man half his weight. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

delad wrote: »
    I don't get why Ireland has such an abundance of smaller fighters but hardly any middleweights or heavyweights

Joe ward should be there and Kenny Egan won a silver medal. As for Rte, bit disappointed so far, with Bill bringing the negative soccer style chat to the swimming slagging of Phelps for missing a gold medal by in inch was poor. BBC's digital coverage is excellent but with a large British bias. They were showing Analise's race but when the GB sailor jumped the gun, they switched to someone else.
    RTE do not have any say on the sailing coverage so we have to wait for updates.mthe 10th race is being shown after the boxing I think.

patmac wrote: »
    Joe ward should be there and Kenny Egan won a silver medal. As for Rte, bit disappointed so far, with Bill bringing the negative soccer style chat to the swimming slagging of Phelps for missing a gold medal by in inch was poor. BBC's digital coverage is excellent but with a large British bias. They were showing Analise's race but when the GB sailor jumped the gun, they switched to someone else.
    RTE do not have any say on the sailing coverage so we have to wait for updates.mthe 10th race is being shown after the boxing I think.

BBC weren't showing the 100m heats live which was a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fcuk sake have to mute Jimmy Magee

..this stale bread tastes crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

15-10 to paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hon the Paddy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

amateur boxing is so boring isn't it, hopefully next olympics when they get rid of the headguards it will be more exciting with a few ko's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

His defence in round one. The word class gets bandied about too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

BBC weren't showing the 100m heats live which was a joke.

They were on BBC 3. Remember to check that channel if not on BBC 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

Did he get the jacket from Bewitched haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Damn the Chinese girl is really finishing this series of races very strongly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Serena is just ploughing through Sharapova in the womens final.

Billy Twomey and Cian O'Connor both qualified for the show jumping final, let's hope Cian's horse stays of the hard stuff this time.

• Advertisement

After the first check in the sailing Liu leads, Dutch 2nd, Analise 3 rd Van Ecker 4th! Pts would be Analise 30, Liu 32, Dutch 34 and Van Ecker 35, really tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

Away from comp, please give me updates on the sailing. RTE radio has documentary hour on now, no olympics on FM radio :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

IvySlayer wrote: »

That has put some strange images in my head :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Ugh, 6-0. Women's game is so abysmal at the moment.

After the 2nd check in the sailing Dutch leads, Xu 2nd Van Ecker 3rd Analise 5th.Pts would be Analise 32, Xu 33 Dutch 33 and Van Ecker 34 out of the medals.RTE not showing sailing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Well that explains the grunting at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

How long is each sailing race? Just checked and Annalise 5th at the mo but that changes by the minute obv

50 minutes to an hour I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ugh, 6-0. Women's game is so abysmal at the moment.

Have to admire Serenas brute determination. She really wants that medal bad!

Shryke wrote: »
    ****ing hell I've had enough with rte. Ten minutes of ads and now it's more talking heads. Is there actually nothing on!? Such ****ing bull****. I'm turning it off until I can be somewhere else.

It really is woeful, the talking heads wouldn't be as bad if they actually had some expert insight instead of stating the bleeding obvious. The only good analyst I have seen on rte is Andrew Bree.

• Advertisement

Have to admire Serenas brute determination. She really wants that medal bad!
    She's a bully and a pretty unlikeable person IMO.

I also think she's rather limited as a tennis player. Fantastic serve - yes, but I don't think I've seen a slower player around the court in recent years.

Well that explains the grunting at least.

Sharapova would be such a better player if she didn't expend so much energy by grunting.

After the 3rd mark in the sailing Dutch leads, Xu 2nd Van Ecker 4th Analise 5th.Pts would be Analise 32, Xu 33 Dutch 33 and Van Ecker 35. I think the 4 th mark is halfway,though not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ugh can they not make her stop making that horrible sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Another record set by the British in the velodrome earlier, with Jason Kenny breaking Chris Hoy's olympic record set in the individual sprint in Beijing by 0.12 seconds. A fair amount in this event!

Annalise Murphy down to 7th

After the 4th mark in the sailing Dutch leads, Xu 2nd Van Ackerman 4th Analise 7th.Pts would be Analise 34, Xu 33, Dutch 33 and Van Acker 35 how close.

Murphy in 7th now which would put the Dutch and Chinese joint 1st overall on 33 and leave her in 3rd with 34.

Murphy in 7th now which would put the Dutch and Chinese joint 1st overall on 33 and leave her in 3rd with 34.

Ah my nerves!! Come on Annalise!

• Advertisement

Murphy now 10th - all falling apart:(

Edit 6th ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Sailing is on BBC 3 now. Strangely not on RTE.

Edit: Now they've switched to another race.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Murphy now 10th - all falling apart:(

But where would she be overall though? She could still have a chance of medal no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Finished 7th

leahyl wrote: »
    But where would she be overall though? She could still have a chance of medal no?
    Finished 7th - yeah I guess she's still in with a shout.

Overall position not sure

Live on Bbc channel 10 now. Over ned 1st, Xu 2nd, Van Ackerman 3, murphy 7th points Murphy 34, Xu 33, Dutch, 33 Van Acker 34. Final race Monday all to play for.

• Advertisement

She's 1 point behind the Dutch and Chinese and 1 ahead of the German. Could win gold, could win nothing.

Eeeek so excited for her! Hope she gets any medal!!! I dont think anyone expected this performance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

1. NED 33
    2. CHN 33
    3. IRL 34
    4. BEL 34

It's going to be some medal race on Monday. Let's hope she can hold onto 3rd at least!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

serena williams beats sharapova 6-0 6-1

what a procession of an event, she dropped just 17 games during the whole olympics

when gilles simon, the french player raised the issue of pay at wimbledon just a few weeks ago, it was sharapova who responded with "well more people would pay to watch my games than his"

...not if they are such one-sided contests like that maria they wouldn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Brian017 wrote: »
    1. NED 33
    2. CHN 33
    3. IRL 34
    4. BEL 34

It's going to be some medal race on Monday. Let's hope she can hold onto 3rd at least!

a sports pyschologist would tell you that's completely the wrong attitude

let's hope she wins the race and wins the gold - that should be the only thing on her mind, she won the first four races, why not this one?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement