Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London 2012 Megathread [Part 1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I don't understand this cycling. Why do they start off really slowly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

gabsdot40 wrote: »

Save energy and try get a physiological advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

also if anyone knows, do the bikes have gears? is the back wheel heavy, as in is it just hollow inside or filled in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

You get into the opponents slip stream and that can give you a jump to accelerate right by the opponent. But you have to be careful that the guy in front doesn't get away from you.

Its all about the last lap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Can't believe that Forstermann (he with the freak show legs) got beaten by the guy from Trinidad.

Tough for the Venezuelan to get relegated against the Aussie too. BBC were convinced he was OK.

• Advertisement

This event in the velodrome always confuses me, an Irish man is competing,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

donfers wrote: »
    a sports pyschologist would tell you that's completely the wrong attitude

let's hope she wins the race and wins the gold - that should be the only thing on her mind, she won the first four races, why not this one?

Hey Donfers, Anyone,

Did you see Paddy Barnes on the news the other night? Basically they showed how he was getting his photo taken with all the star names (Bolt, Phelps etc).

Now it's harmless enough but I just wonder is it the kind of thing that might be in a countries (like Ireland's) mindset and prove a disadvantage? It kind of reminds me of a non-league team playing a bigger team and all minnows players rush toward the star players looking for their jerseys.

As I said, probably harmless enough in the overall scheme of things and I hate to be negative....but it just doesn't sit right with me. I think generally on the world stage we show too much respect to our more illustrious counterparts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

keith16 wrote: »
    Hey Donfers, Anyone,

Did you see Paddy Barnes on the news the other night? Basically they showed how he was getting his photo taken with all the star names (Bolt, Phelps etc).

Now it's harmless enough but I just wonder is it the kind of thing that might be in a countries (like Ireland's) mindset and prove a disadvantage? It kind of reminds me of a non-league team playing a bigger team and all minnows players rush toward the star players looking for their jerseys.

As I said, probably harmless enough in the overall scheme of things and I hate to be negative....but it just doesn't sit right with me. I think generally on the world stage we show too much respect to our more illustrious counterparts.

You've just called our counterparts "more illustrious".

donfers wrote: »
    a sports pyschologist would tell you that's completely the wrong attitude

let's hope she wins the race and wins the gold - that should be the only thing on her mind, she won the first four races, why not this one?

Hey Donfers, Anyone,

It would be bad if he was competing against Bolt, but he isn't so it's not a big deal IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭who what when

I think it was more a case of Paddy Barnes having the craic.
    He's had 8 days in the olympic village without a fight, has to spend his time doing something!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I see RTE have abandoned the Olympics for some GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Where the fook is Timmy :(

Boooooooooooommmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!

It is not the same without him :(

mike65 wrote: »

Dublin are playing, I am torn as to what to watch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Why is walking STILL an olympic sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Its on RTE player

You've just called our counterparts "more illustrious".

indeed! that's how ingrained it is!!

ah no, I know in Paddy's case it was just a bit of craic etc...

In more general term though I think there could be something in it. There has to be a reason why our swimmers / runners perform poorly by their own standards at the Olympics.

All to often we keep hearing that "things weren't right on the day" and things of that nature. Maybe it's a case of paying the Olympics too much respect?

Anyway, just an interesting aside and I don't want to be negative so will leave it at that. COME ON IRELAND!

Don't complain, we are decent at it!

Its grueling and a very worthy Olympic sport.

Try walk that fast for a mile and then tell me if it is worthy of an Olympic event.

indeed! that's how ingrained it is!!

ah no, I know in Paddy's case it was just a bit of craic etc...

In more general term though I think there could be something in it. There has to be a reason why our swimmers / runners perform poorly by their own standards at the Olympics.

All to often we keep hearing that "things weren't right on the day" and things of that nature. Maybe it's a case of paying the Olympics too much respect?

Anyway, just an interesting aside and I don't want to be negative so will leave it at that. COME ON IRELAND!

Yes indeed. Sending athletes who are struggling and clearly in bad form is pure ridiculous. If their not 100% then keep them at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

RTÉ London 2012 ‏@RTELondon2012
    Timmy McCarthy unavoidably absent today, will be back on #RTE2012 very soon! #Basketball #BOOM #DOWNTOWN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity RTE didn't think to turn News Now on Soarview into a fuzzy picture Olympic channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

yep, getting a bit sick of it tbh.

Hef looks like he is lifting throughout.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Don't complain, we are decent at it!

Suppose. We're third at the moment.

Shock

The Irish lad in the cycling is doing OK and certainly not there for the experience, he's fourth.

He after slipping now. Ah well it was nice while it lasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I have no idea what's going on in the velodrome ???

Oh, evening all :)

Tactilly he got it wrong he let a group get ahead of the pack, he should have been in that group. But he is still with-in reach. Come-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Shocking really considering the Irish people's love of trampolining.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Brazil losing 1-0' Honduras down to 10 men

Do both losing semi finalists get bronze medals or is there a play off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Is there a velodrome in Ireland?

Down will need a few goals to get into this. Not doing well at midfield ...oops.

At the Red Cow I heard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Colmustard wrote: »
    Dublin are playing, I am torn as to what to watch.
    No contest; the Olympics every time!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Irvine finishes 6th in the pts race. That's ok.

He's currently 7th in the competition after 2 events of 6.

• Advertisement

Martyn Irvine came 6th in the sprints and 9th overall, that really was not a bad effort, if he would have got the tactic right he could have won, but he certainly has the ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shocking really considering the Irish people's love of trampolining.:pac:

I have some radical new ideas on how to improve women's trampolining but I doubt they will be recognized. :p

There's an "outdoor" one somewhere. Does that make it something other than a velodrome? Just a "velo" perhaps.

I understand that velo is French for bike and I would hazard a guess that "drome" means "inside.

Down will need a few goals to get into this. Not doing well at midfield ...oops.

Mayo will surely be looking at getting at least bronze now.

• Advertisement

Shryke wrote: »
    I have some radical new ideas on how to improve women's trampolining but I doubt they will be recognized. :p

Combine it with the womens beach volley ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Just saw a replay of the sending off for Honduras...Neymar i despise him...watch him regularly in brazilian football and yes he has skill but his playacting and diving pisses me off....sorry rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

There's an "outdoor" one somewhere. Does that make it something other than a velodrome? Just a "velo" perhaps.

I understand that velo is French for bike and I would hazard a guess that "drome" means "inside.

I looked it up, there's a velodrome in Crumlin: www.trackcycling.ie

I think it means port as in aerodrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Bertie wanted to build one in Blanchardstown as part of Sports Campus Ireland. He may have been the biggest shyster Ireland has ever produced but he knew the importance of sport to a country. His vision of world class spots facilities was shot down by everybody as a waste of money. The same people are probably now complaining that Ireland has yet to win a medal.

I just realised, apart from the boxers and our sailor Martin Irvines performance was the best so far for an Irish athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Rob Heffernan is going well in the 20k walk. In the leading group of about 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Rob Heffernan is 4th with 8km to go in the walk. Go Rob!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

Colmustard wrote: »
    I just realised, apart from the boxers and our sailor Martin Irvines performance was the best so far for an Irish athlete.

Its only 1 event out of 6 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

The Irish are out in force around Buck Palace. All the Green, White & Orange flags!

Heffernan holding his own in the front pack too :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement