Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bought stolen iphone

• 16-07-2012 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

I just bought an iphone 4s (the latest one) and i think it had been stolen.

Will i have any problems using this/insuring it??

i have not had a chance to buy a sim yet - hence have not set it up.

any tips/comments - be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

If you thinks its been stolen, then hand it in to the guards.

Nothing good will come of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Why do you think it's been stolen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What makes you thin it was stolen?

You'll have big problems insuring it as any time i've insured a phone i had to supply a receipt and the handset had to have been bought within the last 3 months. How they deal with second hand phones i don't know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

lala1987 wrote: »
    I just bought an iphone 4s (the latest one) and i think it had been stolen.

Will i have any problems using this/insuring it??

i have not had a chance to buy a sim yet - hence have not set it up.

any tips/comments - be great.

If you suspect it to be stolen, and assuming it is stolen, your guilty of handling stolen property if you do not attempt to return it to it's owner. Best thing you can do is go to a Garda station with it and hand it in, unfortunately you will be left out of pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 karljd

;)has to be a wum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

try contact the seller, if you can talk to them it probably wasn't stolen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Maybe contact the website you found the seller though to investigate? May be similar claims, and might just be able to help you. Either way, if it is stolen they can stop the seller from selling any more on.

To make sure contact the network it was obtained from or Apple (if sim-free), should be able to check if it has been stolen. Most stolen iPhones are reported to the network/gardai and the IMEI is noted, then (depending on carrier/insurance) it is blacklisted so it won't register to the network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lala1987

they just seemed eager to sell it and i got it for cheaper than i thought!!!!

hopefully will be no trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I hope there will be. People buying stolen phones is the only reason other people get phones robbed from them. If you think it's stolen talk to the garda and tell them where you got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

lala1987 wrote: »
    they just seemed eager to sell it and i got it for cheaper than i thought!!!!

hopefully will be no trouble
    Better off ringing the network (or all 4 networks if you don't know where it came from) with the IMEI number (on the SIM tray or type *#06# into the keypad) and ask if it has been reported stolen, saying that you wish to return it to its owner if it was.

Handing it into a Garda station only means you'll probably never get it back even if it wasn't stolen.

Either way, to do the right thing, if it's stolen you're gonna lose out I'm afraid. If you keep it knowing it's stolen, you're effectively a thief.

• Advertisement
Advertisement