Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bar staff drinking while on duty

• 16-07-2012 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Not sure if it's in the right section, but went into bar aftyer work, family ruun and after I was served, the barman opened himself a can of bulmers and started drinking away?

Did a google and found it's not illegal, (at least not im UK).

Could a barman be breathalised by a guard while on duty? Seems improper and he was drinking behind the bar, not taking it outside. And it's a family run deal, so he didn't pay as I saw no cash going into till.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

The nightclub beside my parents house is gas for that....

Everytime i go there theres a barman that would always sit down and have a few drinks with me.

The gards are always outside stopping fights though, too busy to be checking the barmen!

On duty?? He's a barman not a guard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Why the hell would be be getting breathalised? Is the bar in a van?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

He's testing the alcohol out! Quality testing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Drinking and posting on a forum tends to end badly. May this thread serve as a case in point.

(A different way to say my usual: Don't drink and forum.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

malene wrote: »
    Could a barman be breathalised by a guard while on duty?
    What law would he be suspected of breaking?

Seeing the hassle some bar staff get in the busier clubs/pubs I wouldn't begrudge them a few drinks to keep the stress at bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Why the hell would be be getting breathalised? Is the bar in a van?

There's niche market for that sort of thing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Who cares. They always do in my local, I like it, brings them down to us drunks' level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I fail to see the problem. One can of Bulmers like.. it's not as if he was downing shots of vodka and abusing punters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I have no problem with this. Shows the bar isn't some corporate mega-pub and the barmen are allowed to chill out as well. It's a great pub where you go in and the bar staff are friendly and having a chat with people. It's the sign of a non-stressed pub, which is exactly what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Drinking and posting on a forum tends to end badly. May this thread serve as a case in point.

(A different way to say my usual: Don't drink and forum.)

You really need some new quips....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

always used to have a couple of pints between finishing serving and tidying/ locking up.

if we were having a late one we'd have a few pints with the locals, but i would agree that its a wee bit unprofessional to be drinking behind the bar, should have at least gone into the store room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Have you ever been a sober person around drunken fools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If I had to deal with half the drunken morons I see in my local on a saturday night, I'm sure I'd be driven to drink too.

And I include myself in that, I'm a nightmare when I'm drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Not sure if it's in the right section, but went into bar aftyer work, family ruun and after I was served, the barman opened himself a can of bulmers and started drinking away?

Did a google and found it's not illegal, (at least not im UK).

Could a barman be breathalised by a guard while on duty? Seems improper and he was drinking behind the bar, not taking it outside. And it's a family run deal, so he didn't pay as I saw no cash going into till.

My brain hurts,

Whats the issue...I dont even.. breathalised... for what?... is he.. throwing his empties at you..?

Does your family run said pub? cos' im not sure if him paying/not paying for his cans is really your business?

Did you want a free can or something? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Kevwoody wrote: »
    You really need some new quips....
    Practical advice. As necessary in this thread as it is in any others I've expressed similar sentiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

In Austria we tipped the barmaids/barmen with pints and they would quite happily sit and drink with you when it's quiet. No harm done and everyone enjoys themselves. Probably makes it easier to deal with us too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I worked in a well known Cork night club and we were allowed free drink while working, so long as we didn't get píssed they didn't mind.

Similarly, all the seasonal bar staff and promotional workers in places like Spain and Greece get free drink as part of their job, I'm told its because it makes the customers look like the bar is a good time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I worked in a bar, pint glass with ice and redbull and double vodkas. The red bull for the energy/sugar and the vodka for sanity.

Whats next OP telling shop assistants in Pennys not to wear clothes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

What's wrong with it?
    It's not as if he's getting really drunk and so becoming incapable of doing his job or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Hope this is going the way you hoped OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Could a barman be breathalised by a guard while on duty? .

Does he drive the bar up and down a public street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Does he drive the bar up and down a public street?

You mean is it a Bargatti Veyron?

A Fiat Pubto?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Being a barman would be a really price effective way to be an alcoholic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Being a barman would be a really price effective way to be an alcoholic

Being an alcoholic barman that drinks on the job would be an effective way of becoming unemployed.

I don't see anything wrong with the lad having a drink. He is in a pub and everything. Is he operating heavy machinery or on some special medication? Does the pub have a swimming pool built on and he's the attending life guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

bluewolf wrote: »
    On duty?? He's a barman not a guard

worse case scennario, there's a fire, u run to find another exit, he looks at u, drunk, "what? Fire, nah, it's too warm for a fire", while place burns around him.

Ok, a bit OTT, but as abarman, he has to be aware of everything on around him. Any oen is on duty. Tesco managers are on duty, even boards.ie are "on duty".

Back to topicm, the barman should be alert at all times, just as anyone who is dealing with the public should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

always used to have a couple of pints between finishing serving and tidying/ locking up.

if we were having a late one we'd have a few pints with the locals, but i would agree that its a wee bit unprofessional to be drinking behind the bar, should have at least gone into the store room...

Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

as abarman, he has to be aware of everything on around him.

He dispenses drinks, he's hardly a neurosurgeon or a ninja.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Depends on the bar but I don't see a problem with this in principle. Most places I wouldn't pass any remarks but if I was in the shelbourne etc it would seem a bit odd and I could imagine some clientele from those types of places complaining about it. I used to work in The K Club and we would have been sacked on the spot for it......most normal places..no issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I wouldn't disagree that it's a tad unprofessional, but is it really something worth getting worked up over? It was a can of Bulmers for crying out loud!... and for all the OP knows the guy only had a few sips of it.

I'd view a bar tender drinking on the QT in the storeroom as being far more suspect than one taking a small drink behind the bar. Some people have 'liquid' lunches most days of the week, and you'd never hear mention of involving the Gardai or informing employers etc in those cases. Much ado about nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

In many local pubs I've been in, the barmen would often sit down and have a pint with the customers, particularly at quiet times. I think it's nice. :)

I'm not sure what the issue is?! If you don't like it ... don't drink there!!

Advertisement